Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject:

Why are we trying to boost OKC chances? Moake no sense, stay Brooks...stay....

If they win we have zero chance of getting KD.

Go Lakers
shaq3234
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject:

hire a college coach (former nba player) that hasn't proven anything on the big stage.. hmmm
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject:

shaq3234 wrote:
hire a college coach (former nba player) that hasn't proven anything on the big stage.. hmmm

What did Pat Riley prove before he coached the Lakers?

Or that stupid Phil Jax who coached some podunk CBA team?

How about Spoelstra, the video room guy?
shaq3234
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
shaq3234 wrote:

weren't they all assistant coaches (in the nba) before getting an HC job?

look.. im not saying hiring ollie is wrong.. just curious as to why people are on the bandwagon thinking he's the "answer".
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject:

shaq3234 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
shaq3234 wrote:

look.. im not saying hiring ollie is wrong.. just curious as to why people are on the bandwagon thinking he's the "answer".

If you read that article, Eric has listed many reasons.

1) The guy can flat out coach
2) He's been around the NBA - knows the league well
3) Has great relationships with star players specifically Durant and Lebron
4) Not only puts us on the map for KD, he helps make us a significant draw. Someone he actually knows on the organization
5) He's a young black coach

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
shaq3234 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
shaq3234 wrote:

4) Not only puts us on the map for KD, he helps make us a significant draw. Someone he actually knows on the organization
Many of the things listed could have applied to either Mike Brown or MDA
* Able to coach
* Know the league
* Had great relationships with star players
* Not sure Ollie can "make us a significantndraw" (?!?!??!?!)
* They were not young coaches, but the experiences of BShaw and JKidd should raise some concerns.

It should be noted that Spoelstra was nearly fired a couple times. Zen Master was called in when Doug Collins could not get it done. Riles was hired 30 years ago from the radio booth.

A more daring and innovative choice might be Kareem. The man knows basketball, favors a Big Man game while being able to teach, Kobe/Pau/Nash would welcome playing with The Cap, commands instant respect, attract elite FAs who would thirst playing with one of the GOATs, wants to coach, would have everyone's support (Magic, BScott, Coop, Mychal, James, Horry, Rambis, Harper, etc.) and would bring a great buzz - especially with a statue in front of Staples.

Kareem> Ollie
For every reason why Ollie would be an excellent choice, there are many reasons/factors that would make Kareem an inspired choice.

Kareem> Mark Jackson
Kareem> JKidd
Kareem> BShaw
Kareem> McCall
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
ahaider wrote:
shaq3234 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
shaq3234 wrote:

* Able to coach
* Know the league
* They were not young coaches, but the experiences of BShaw and JKidd should raise some concerns.

It should be noted that Spoelstra was nearly fired a couple times. Zen Master was called in when Doug Collins could not get it done. Riles was hired 30 years ago from the radio booth.

A more daring and innovative choice might be Kareem. The man knows basketball, favors a Big Man game while being able to teach, Kobe/Pau/Nash would welcome playing with The Cap, commands instant respect, attract elite FAs who would thirst playing with one of the GOATs, wants to coach, would have everyone's support (Magic, BScott, Coop, Mychal, James, Horry, Rambis, Harper, etc.) and would bring a great buzz - especially with a statue in front of Staples.

Kareem> Ollie
For every reason why Ollie would be an excellent choice, there are many reasons/factors that would make Kareem an inspired choice.

Kareem> Mark Jackson
Kareem> JKidd
Kareem> BShaw
Kareem> McCall

I wouldn't agree that MDA and Mike Brown know how to coach. Both have had multiple issues getting players to buy in. If you recall, Cleveland fired Brown in an attempt to get Lebron to sign. The consistent factor with both is inability to manage players and the team. That necessary coaching component is one of Ollie's strengths. I think you could make a case that coaching college players can be more difficult than professionals.

Kevin Durant said Kevin Ollie was the guy who changed their culture in OKC. They won 20 something games the year before he got there.

I'm not in the group that's critical of Jason Kidd or Shaw. Shaw didn't have. Gallinari or McGee at all this season. I thought given their talent they adequately performed in the Western conference.

In regards to Kareem, two key points
1) He has health issues (Leukemia)
2) Age

I think Kareem is a bit too much of the past for the Lakers moving forward

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
ahaider wrote:
shaq3234 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
shaq3234 wrote:

* Able to coach
* Know the league

Kareem> Ollie

Kareem> Mark Jackson
Kareem> JKidd
Kareem> BShaw
Kareem> McCall
I wouldn't agree that MDA and Mike Brown know how to coach. Both have had multiple issues getting players to buy in. If you recall, Cleveland fired Brown in an attempt to get Lebron to sign. The consistent factor with both is inability to manage players and the team. That necessary coaching component is one of Ollie's strengths. I think you could make a case that coaching college players can be more difficult than professionals.

Kevin Durant said Kevin Ollie was the guy who changed their culture in OKC. They won 20 something games the year before he got there.

I'm not in the group that's critical of Jason Kidd or Shaw. Shaw didn't have. Gallinari or McGee at all this season. I thought given their talent they adequately performed in the Western conference.

2) Age

I am not agreeing or disagreeing, but the facts are that Brown brought the Cavs to The Finals with a reputation of having teams that played good D. Lebron left because he wanted to win rings. MDA has good relationships, as noted by being a coach on two Olympic teams, plus he was picked by Dr. Buss to bring back Showtime.

The mentioned rookie coaches all had issues of learning how to deal with injuries as a HC. On a high-profiled team like the Lakers, learning on the job is not a good thing.

If Phil Jackson can begin his President of Basketball Operations at his age, Kareem can start at his age. His battle with leukemia I is noted at http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=6108928&city=losangeles&src=desktop

If the Lakers were (if they were) considering Coach K

It will be interesting to see what Jimmy/Mitch will do
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject:

I think MDA/Brown lacked the people skills with their veteran players. I'm sure Brown knows coaching from a textbook sense. It's like a West Point grad thrown into the last weeks of WWII in a veteran unit. (Band of Brothers). He may "know" what to do but not "know" how to actually do it.
shaq3234
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
shaq3234 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
shaq3234 wrote:

didn't read the article, and those are ALL valid reasons; however, you can make the claim BOTH BShaw and MBrown (*chills down my spine*) have the same rapport around the league..

*shrugs* guess we'll have to wait and see.. ollie can coach the college game. no doubt. the pros are a bit different though; just ask john calipari
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject:

shaq3234 wrote:
ahaider wrote:
shaq3234 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
shaq3234 wrote:

didn't read the article, and those are ALL valid reasons; however, you can make the claim BOTH BShaw and MBrown (*chills down my spine*) have the same rapport around the league..

*shrugs* guess we'll have to wait and see.. ollie can coach the college game. no doubt. the pros are a bit different though; just ask john calipari

I think Mike Brown had that viewpoint early in his career but not after the 07 Finals. I would agree Shaw is a good comparison. I think too many people are sour on him. His team isn't brimming with talent. He has two nice pieces in Faried and Lawson but after that it drops off. I think he needs more time + talent.

I would agree but in Calipari's defense, he took over a really bad team in NJ and tried to do too much.

ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
ahaider wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
ahaider wrote:
shaq3234 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
shaq3234 wrote:

* Able to coach
* Know the league

Kareem> Ollie

Kareem> Mark Jackson
Kareem> JKidd
Kareem> BShaw
Kareem> McCall

2) Age

I am not agreeing or disagreeing, but the facts are that Brown brought the Cavs to The Finals with a reputation of having teams that played good D. Lebron left because he wanted to win rings. MDA has good relationships, as noted by being a coach on two Olympic teams, plus he was picked by Dr. Buss to bring back Showtime.

The mentioned rookie coaches all had issues of learning how to deal with injuries as a HC. On a high-profiled team like the Lakers, learning on the job is not a good thing.

If Phil Jackson can begin his President of Basketball Operations at his age, Kareem can start at his age. His battle with leukemia I is noted at http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=6108928&city=losangeles&src=desktop

If the Lakers were (if they were) considering Coach K

It will be interesting to see what Jimmy/Mitch will do

Fair enough. It will definitely be interesting to see what they do.

I'm not entirely sure, how much goodwill Mike D has. He's infuriated Kobe, Howard, Melo, and Pau. I think I would disagree that he has a strong rapport with players. It was always seemed to me Coach K was the one who endeared himself to the players.

Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
I think Kobe is pretty much un coachable at this point in his career.

Look, if Kobe didn't like what Phil said, he did what he felt was right.

He may be a bit uncoachable, but he does have respect for people and I think a good coach just talks with him and finds a way to use his skills in his system, rather than try to change him to fit the system.

I mean honestly, that is the main problem with MDA, his system is too rigid. He can't find a way to use players based on THEIR skill sets. He has to convince them to play his way. Well, why should and old vet like Kobe, change his game to fit someone else's system?? Kobe's system has won 5 rings. Now Phil has the track record to stand up to Kobe and, at least, he has to respect that.

As much as I think less of Howard, hard to blame him for baling on MDA. MDA had no respect for Howards game and made it clear that he was going to have to learn to play MDA's way. Well, MDA doesn't have the track record to have earned that trust with anyone.

His career as an NBA head coach should be over. He is NEVER going to win a ring in the pros, NEVER!! He is just too much of a one trick pony.

If someone can come in and have a decent system that teaches both sides of the court, Kobe will be respectful. But if someone comes in who he knows has NO CHANCE to win a ring in this league, he won't get his support.

Even Kobe started out on MDA's side, he was respectful. He gave him a chance to prove himself.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
The more I think about it I see Ollie staying at UCONN for a few years.

If I were him, I would.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think MDA/Brown lacked the people skills with their veteran players. I'm sure Brown knows coaching from a textbook sense. It's like a West Point grad thrown into the last weeks of WWII in a veteran unit. (Band of Brothers). He may "know" what to do but not "know" how to actually do it.
Since Brown came from Pop's system and coached LBJ for several years that includes getting to The Finals, there is evidence for people to review.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:

He may be a bit uncoachable, but he does have respect for people and I think a good coach just talks with him and finds a way to use his skills in his system, rather than try to change him to fit the system.

I mean honestly, that is the main problem with MDA, his system is too rigid. He can't find a way to use players based on THEIR skill sets. He has to convince them to play his way. Well, why should and old vet like Kobe, change his game to fit someone else's system?? Kobe's system has won 5 rings. Now Phil has the track record to stand up to Kobe and, at least, he has to respect that.

As much as I think less of Howard, hard to blame him for baling on MDA. MDA had no respect for Howards game and made it clear that he was going to have to learn to play MDA's way. Well, MDA doesn't have the track record to have earned that trust with anyone.

His career as an NBA head coach should be over. He is NEVER going to win a ring in the pros, NEVER!! He is just too much of a one trick pony.

If someone can come in and have a decent system that teaches both sides of the court, Kobe will be respectful. But if someone comes in who he knows has NO CHANCE to win a ring in this league, he won't get his support.

Even Kobe started out on MDA's side, he was respectful. He gave him a chance to prove himself.

Nice post but I disagree with the bolded. I think D'antoni did try to embrace Dwight at Pau's expense. Dwight was 2nd in the league in post ups.

Plus Houston runs basically the same type of offense we ran in LA. Heavy PnR. A lot of 4 and 1 lineups. ( 4 shooters 1 big) they rarely play Asik and Dwight together similar to Pau and Dwight.

Dwight leaving I think was more about the following

1) Kobe
2) Expectations in LA & comparisons to Shaq
3) Mixed succession plan with Kobe
4) Difficult fan base (I don't think it is if you do the right things)

A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:

There are many things to complain about MDA, but having refuse to embrace an offense that focuses on his #1 strength (P&Rs) and demanded ISO post ups (his weakness, as documented by Golden Throat) highlights an attitude problem that even Phil would have problems.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
ahaider wrote:
shaq3234 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
shaq3234 wrote:

* Able to coach
* Know the league

Kareem> Ollie

Kareem> Mark Jackson
Kareem> JKidd
Kareem> BShaw
Kareem> McCall

LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject:

I really love Ollie!!
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject:

LakerEric wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
ahaider wrote:
shaq3234 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
shaq3234 wrote:

* Able to coach
* Know the league

Kareem> Ollie

Kareem> Mark Jackson
Kareem> JKidd
Kareem> BShaw
Kareem> McCall
Funny that MDA is getting roasted for sticking to a system, ala Phil Jackson (The Triangle) and most other coaches that included the just retired Adelmam
"Adelman had a two-year stop in with the Warriors from 1995-97, where he learned hard lessons about sticking to what he believed in and not letting others influence his approach, and that hardened philosophy served him well the rest of his career."

With Woodson just fired, guess what system the Knicks will play and will Melo embrace the style of play that has won rings (Kobe/Shaq/Pau/MJ, Pippen).

With college coaches and many NBA coaches clearly embracing that the top ways to score is either a layup, free throw and/or a 3pt shot - how will Ollie fit with Kobe and Pau.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject:

LakerEric wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
ahaider wrote:
shaq3234 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
shaq3234 wrote:

* Able to coach
* Know the league

Kareem> Ollie

Kareem> Mark Jackson
Kareem> JKidd
Kareem> BShaw
Kareem> McCall

Kareem has leukemia.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:27 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
LakerEric wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
ahaider wrote:
shaq3234 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
shaq3234 wrote:

* Able to coach
* Know the league

Kareem> Ollie

Kareem> Mark Jackson
Kareem> JKidd
Kareem> BShaw
Kareem> McCall
Kareem has leukemia.
Last reports is that it is in remission - see link listed above - and able to function fully.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Do it.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject:

...Mitch!
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject:

I think they will hire a veteran NBA coach of the following list of five:

1. George Karl

2. Byron Scott

3. Lionel Hollins

4. Jeff Van Gundy

5. Stan Van Gundy
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
Jump to: