CNN is completely pathetic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: CNN is completely pathetic

They keep rehashing the same old story for mh370 for the past 9 hours. No update on Russia, the capsize boat in Yellow Sea, the rising fuel costs. All they broadcast is mh370
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject:

CNN has been worthless for a long time.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: CNN is completely pathetic

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
They keep rehashing the same old story for mh370 for the past 9 hours. No update on Russia, the capsize boat in Yellow Sea, the rising fuel costs. All they broadcast is mh370

There are three important stories being reported right now, MH370, Russia and the capsized ship.

CNN is reporting on these developments and most reports are not really new.

News updates are usually rehashing news alrready reported that's because there's really nothing new to report so to fill air time they tell you the same thing over and over.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject:

they should send the entire CNN staff down to the bottom of the Indian Ocean to look for the plane since they care about it so much.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Unlike some people I actually liked piers Morgan. He was liberal progressive thinker and leaned left. Sucks that they took him off the air
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject:

CNN was stuck in dead last among the news networks the past couple of years...so it would make sense that they run the Malaysia Air Flight 370 story which helped pull their last place network up to good ratings....of course with any news story, if there are no new developments left, then you pull away and follow other BREAKING NEWS.
But the head honchos can't break away from their golden goose, so the network heads will probably be the ones that are the last ones to be convinced to move away from the story. The general public has lost interest in the story when you consider no new developments have taken place and there is other BREAKING NEWS going around in the world.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

They used to be the go to network for news, but once people had other options like Fox News or MSNBC, they lost a lot of their audience.. Not to mention with the rise of the internet, people no longer need to watch a 24 hour cable news network to get their news. Then you also have the smaller niche cable news channels that took away whatever is left of the potential audience for CNN and there you have the miniscule ratings of today's CNN. It also didn't help that a lot of their senior reporters in the 80's and 90's retired from the network.
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject:

CNN is 24 hours. They need to fill the time so it becomes pure garbage.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

They used to be the go to network for news, but once people had other options like Fox News or MSNBC, they lost a lot of their audience.. Not to mention with the rise of the internet, people no longer need to watch a 24 hour cable news network to get their news. Then you also have the smaller niche cable news channels that took away whatever is left of the potential audience for CNN and there you have the miniscule ratings of today's CNN. It also didn't help that a lot of their senior reporters in the 80's and 90's retired from the network.

Fox and MSNBC stay with commercials for 5 6 minutes sometime. They are more informative though.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:

No. They choose to fill time with pure garbage. There is plenty going on in the world that they could tap into if they so chose. But instead of putting the effort to bring a diversity of news, they regurgitate and tiny handful of sensationalistic stories.

CNN actually spent large portions of on-air time discussing the following theories for 370's disappearance - a black hole, an alien abduction, and Jesus swooping in to spare the victims by carrying them off directly to heaven so they didn't have to suffer.

CNN is hardly just "filling time", there are choosing to follow a willfully lazy path to presenting "the news"
Splash1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
Unlike everyone I actually liked piers Morgan. He was complete moron and leaned left. Sucks that they took him off the air

FIFY

The guy is no different than Bill O'Reilly, a conservative prick. Opposite ends of the same sh** stick. People in his own country can't stand him.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:

No. They choose to fill time with pure garbage. There is plenty going on in the world that they could tap into if they so chose. But instead of putting the effort to bring a diversity of news, they regurgitate and tiny handful of sensationalistic stories.

CNN actually spent large portions of on-air time discussing the following theories for 370's disappearance - a black hole, an alien abduction, and Jesus swooping in to spare the victims by carrying them off directly to heaven so they didn't have to suffer.

CNN is hardly just "filling time", there are choosing to follow a willfully lazy path to presenting "the news"

Exactly, and this is one of the reasons why cable news is so terrible these days.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject:

More balanced news coverage sounds like the right thing to do, but it doesn't get ratings. Play on people getting emotionally invested and keep them thinking a story will finally break. Then they can't turn away. The board tends to swing left so good luck with the thread but I agree it's sad what CNN has become, but its our fault we tune in.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject:

I watch CNN, MSNBC, fOX NEWS AND HLN. What do you guy watch most?

DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I watch CNN, MSNBC, fOX NEWS AND HLN. What do you guy watch most?

E. None of the above.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject:

CNN's problem has been that it's been pretending to be a centrist, no BS news outlet but is forced to be sensationalist in order to drum up ratings.

Its Russia/Ukraine coverage was the best around, but now it's regressed back to where it was before the crisis. Jake Tapper is the best journalist on that network, in my opinion.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Anchorman 2 was really a documentary on the cable news business...
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Update: CNN BREAKING NEWS
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject:

big joke, I agree!
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:

this ^
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
Unlike some people I actually liked piers Morgan. He was liberal progressive thinker and leaned left. Sucks that they took him off the air

Speaking as a moderate, I didn't find Morgan to be liberal. Rachel Maddow is liberal. Morgan is centrist. I suppose he might be to the left of dead center, but not by much. However, we live in polarized times. People on the far right consider people in the mainstream right to be too liberal, so of course those folks are going to view Morgan as a flaming liberal.

From my perspective, his sin wasn't his politics. It was that he just wasn't very interesting. His interviews were not engaging. The show had sort of a desperate feel to it -- Look at me! Look at me! Watch my show!

I probably watched the show for a total of an hour or two, usually as a result of flipping channels. It usually didn't take long before I flipped channels again.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

Speaking as a moderate, I didn't find Morgan to be liberal. Rachel Maddow is liberal. Morgan is centrist. I suppose he might be to the left of dead center, but not by much. However, we live in polarized times. People on the far right consider people in the mainstream right to be too liberal, so of course those folks are going to view Morgan as a flaming liberal.

From my perspective, his sin wasn't his politics. It was that he just wasn't very interesting. His interviews were not engaging. The show had sort of a desperate feel to it -- Look at me! Look at me! Watch my show!

I probably watched the show for a total of an hour or two, usually as a result of flipping channels. It usually didn't take long before I flipped channels again.

I wonder if Rachel Maddow's orientation is in any way a reason for her liberal outlook? JMO gays tend to be more open minded and liberal than conservatives. .

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I wonder if Rachael Maddow's orientation is in any way a reason for her liberal outlook? JMO gays tend to be more open minded and liberal than conservatives. .

I would expect that gays are much less likely to identify with the far right for obvious reasons. That doesn't automatically mean that they are liberal, though. The public polling data appears to support your belief:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/158102/lgbt-americans-skew-democratic-largely-support-obama.aspx

However, terms like "liberal" and "conservative" are sort of vague. After all, supporting gay rights and gay marriage is regarded as "liberal," even though a lot of libertarian conservatives are on board with such of the agenda. In general, the religious right is anathema to the gay community. It would be interesting to look at polling data on issues unrelated to gay interests or religious matters, such as fiscal issues and the like.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: