Rudy Gay Unsure About $19.3M Option For 14-15
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Hmmmm ... not very good business peeps here.

Option 1 - stay on for 1 more year at $19.3M and risk an injury

OR

Option 2 - exercise your opt out and look for another 4-5 yr deal worth $60-70M or worse case scenario settle for a 3 yr $40-45M deal

What team would be dumb enough to give him even your worst case scenario? Dude has been in a huge decline for years, are teams really stupid enough to take a month and a half of rejuvenated play as enough to give him another monster contract?

You can eat crow in July.

Maybe so, but that would be more an indictment of whatever idiot GM gives him a huge contract than one against me. Idiots gave Joe Johnson a max contract after a horrendous choke job in the playoffs, and Josh Smith 12+ million a year. Maybe there will be another idiot to pay Rudy Gay, despite teams doing better after getting rid of him.

Phrase it however you want but you thought I was crazy to mention it. Like I said people on here lack a lot of business sense. It's not what is your perceived value, it is what others perceive value to be.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject:

The only people who lack business sense are any idiots who'd be willing to pay Gay major dollars. Every team he has been on has been better without him.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
The only people who lack business sense are any idiots who'd be willing to pay Gay major dollars. Every team he has been on has been better without him.

The idiots that will offer him a contract for $13, 14, 15M per don't think they are idiots.

Perception.
#Avatar-gate
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject:

His value has fallen but I can see some team still give him 40-50 M over 4-5 years. But he's got 19.3 M this year, and that's almost half as much as he could get in guaranteed money IMO. So he's not risking that much, he should opt in, have the best season he can, actually stay on 1 team and make them better, and the odds are that the 40-50 M will be there at next summer as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
His value has fallen but I can see some team still give him 40-50 M over 4-5 years. But he's got 19.3 M this year, and that's almost half as much as he could get in guaranteed money IMO. So he's not risking that much, he should opt in, have the best season he can, actually stay on 1 team and make them better, and the odds are that the 40-50 M will be there at next summer as well.

WOW ... good thing you are not an agent.
#Avatar-gate
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I'm almost sure an agent would tell Rudy to opt in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Too bad we can't make wagers ... you guys here are some of the WORSE agents.

Why would you tell your client to opt in for 1 more year at $19M when you can likely get another 4-5 yr deal that guarantees you between $14-16M per.
#Avatar-gate
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject:

All I know is that I will take that raise anyday
junosiojo
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject:

I'm mixed about acquiring Rudy Gay. I mean, he's a good player no doubt. But I'd really bet against getting a scorer like him (Though I really like Carmelo to the Lakers).

iTunes/Tune In Radio: The Half Court Heave Podcast
Twitter: @junosiojo
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject:

junosiojo wrote:
I'm mixed about acquiring Rudy Gay. I mean, he's a good player no doubt. But I'd really bet against getting a scorer like him (Though I really like Carmelo to the Lakers).

Rudy Gay leaves Memphis via trade, Memphis has best season ever, goes to WCF.

Rudy Gay leaves Toronto via trade, Raptors grab a high playoff seed and almost make it out of the 1st round.

See a pattern here?

Unless you want to Gay to come to the Lakers so we can trade him to get the Rudy Gay "best season after he leaves" mojo, not sure why we'd consider him.
Branthrax
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject:

If we sign Rudy Gay I will lose it. He's a great guy and a great teammate, but he's also a fantastic brick layer, mediocre passer, big time chucker, and offense killer.

It's not a coincidence that he's only played on bad teams, and said bad teams got substantially better when he was shipped out.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Why would you tell your client to opt in for 1 more year at $19M when you can likely get another 4-5 yr deal that guarantees you between $14-16M per.

If I were an agent I would know that he can't get a 5-year deal, and that only his current team could give him a 4-year deal. And what if he is offered a 3 year, $30 mil deal? His agent needs to survey the market quickly.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I don't think Gay's getting $14-16.

But at this time next year, he'll be 28. He can opt in and easily get the same 4-5 year deal that he could get now. I don't know why you think those offers will magically be off of the table next year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I don't think Gay's getting $14-16.

But at this time next year, he'll be 28. He can opt in and easily get the same 4-5 year deal that he could get now. I don't know why you think those offers will magically be off of the table next year.

Yup. Get paid $19m next year, and for once show he's a team player.

Then at the ripe age of 28, go and get at worst, an Iguodala level deal.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Hey, at least we know better than to capitalize a word and draw attention to it while misspelling it... So we might be worse, but we're definitely not worst...
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't mind Rudy Gay for the right price if we can't sign Melo. He's still one of the top 6 SF's in the league. He's getting too much blame for his past teams success. The Grizzlies were good with Gay and the Raptors started playing well because Lowry elevated his game.

This year he avg 20 pts, 5.5 rebs, 3 ast, 48% fg, 83% ft. He's only 27 and just entering his prime. Rudy is more of a Robin, i always thought if he played alongside a Batman like Kobe he would be more efficient. For 13 mil a year i think it would be a good signing and we still can pursue Love next year. Draft Embiid, Smart, or Exum and will be competitive again next year.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
I wouldn't mind Rudy Gay for the right price if we can't sign Melo. He's still one of the top 6 SF's in the league. He's getting too much blame for his past teams success. The Grizzlies were good with Gay and the Raptors started playing well because Lowry elevated his game.

This year he avg 20 pts, 5.5 rebs, 3 ast, 48% fg, 83% ft. He's only 27 and just entering his prime. Rudy is more of a Robin, i always thought if he played alongside a Batman like Kobe he would be more efficient. For 13 mil a year i think it would be a good signing and we still can pursue Love next year. Draft Embiid, Smart, or Exum and will be competitive again next year.

I like Rudy Gay but I wouldn't give him more than 10M a year. I would rather have him than Stephenson or Ariza at SF next season. I think he is a likely option for us if we can get Ollie as coach as both are UCONN guys.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

This year he avg 20 pts, 5.5 rebs, 3 ast, 48% fg, 83% ft. He's only 27 and just entering his prime. Rudy is more of a Robin, i always thought if he played alongside a Batman like Kobe he would be more efficient. For 13 mil a year i think it would be a good signing and we still can pursue Love next year.

I like Rudy Gay but I wouldn't give him more than 10M a year. I would rather have him than Stephenson or Ariza at SF next season. I think he is a likely option for us if we can get Ollie as coach as both are UCONN guys.
I agree, with the right coach i think Rudy can go to another level. It will cost more then 10 mil though, i think 13 mil is fair for both sides.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

OR

Option 2 - exercise your opt out and look for another 4-5 yr deal worth $60-70M or worse case scenario settle for a 3 yr $40-45M deal

What team would be dumb enough to give him even your worst case scenario? Dude has been in a huge decline for years, are teams really stupid enough to take a month and a half of rejuvenated play as enough to give him another monster contract?

He opted in like everyone else expected he would because he and his agent aren't stupid. Now I'm curious to see how dumb Sacramento is and if they offer an idiotic level extension.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

OR

Uhm, how would you like your crow served? Double helping in fact.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject:

Triple helping!

Honestly I am shocked, hopefully he has a healthy and efficient season.
#Avatar-gate
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject:

Good man. Well done.
dawglaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject:

KG24 wrote:
19.3 million, is more than enough for a lifetime.

don't forget california taxes bring that down to around 8mil
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

OR

Uhm, how would you like your crow served? Double helping in fact.

Deep fried with cayenne pepper.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: