View previous topic :: View next topic  
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
56 wrote:
for supplements I only use this Muscle Milk Whey Protein from Costco, I just picked it up because it had the highest amount of protein per serving lol (27g).

I'd recommend looking more at the percentage of protein per serving than the amount. A lot of proteins just come with a larger scoop(35-40g) which just means more filler. I myself like to use Gold Standard or Dymatize elite which have like a 31g scoop and 24g of protein per scoop.

It all depends on what your goal is. These are lean proteins for people who want to build muscle but also lose some weight(fat). There other proteins are good for people who are already lean and are looking to add mass that will help them build more muscle.

Good looking out...I was about to ask people for their recommendations on protein powders. I literally am clueless as to what I should actually be looking for. I want protein. I want it to taste fairly good. I don't want it to make me fat.

just wanted to remind all of you guys on here who take protein and creatinine; you could have a pretty big elevation of your liver enzymes. There really hasn't been many studies done, other than the one i found a few days back, but these products could be eventually harmful to the Liver. My dad is a GI doc and he just saw a guy last week that had a really high elevation in his liver enzymes and it wasn't due to anything else in his body. The guy was taking protein though...
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
I'm not sure if this is a setback, or just par for the course, but I wanted (and still want) to really upgrade by cardio. I didn't do any weights today. Just did some hardcore sprints, stairs, jogging, etc.

It felt like my lungs were burning. I was also a little nauseous. I suspect the nausea had something to do with water intake, as I chugged a ton of water, and felt a little better, in that regard. Felt a little out of breath for about an hour afterwards. I'm not sure if this is normal, due to being a bit out of cardiovascular shape, or if it's something else.

If it's normal, I might have to take a step back. Do power-walking, with some light jogging here and there. Rather get in shape more gradually/slowly, than to deal with some of these physical things.

I think it is neither a setback nor par for the course. Hard cardiovascular workouts will get your legs burning, but I am wondering what your workouts the prior days were. It could be that your legs needed an off day and were just particularly worn out. If that is the case, remember to take some time to yourself. 5 days a week is plenty and you will hit plateaus and become more frustrated if you don't give yourself proper rest

If you want to intensify your cardio, I suggest HIIT. There are various versions but I like 1 minute on 1 minute off sprints with light, max incline speed walking as a cool down.
Laker Lover
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject:

2 sets of tennis 3-5 times a week. Lots of fun. Takes your mind off the cardio work and not as intense to cause you to burn out and quit. I just wish I had the discipline to lift more than I do.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
I'm not sure if this is a setback, or just par for the course, but I wanted (and still want) to really upgrade by cardio. I didn't do any weights today. Just did some hardcore sprints, stairs, jogging, etc.

It felt like my lungs were burning. I was also a little nauseous. I suspect the nausea had something to do with water intake, as I chugged a ton of water, and felt a little better, in that regard. Felt a little out of breath for about an hour afterwards. I'm not sure if this is normal, due to being a bit out of cardiovascular shape, or if it's something else.

If it's normal, I might have to take a step back. Do power-walking, with some light jogging here and there. Rather get in shape more gradually/slowly, than to deal with some of these physical things.

I think it is neither a setback nor par for the course. Hard cardiovascular workouts will get your legs burning, but I am wondering what your workouts the prior days were. It could be that your legs needed an off day and were just particularly worn out. If that is the case, remember to take some time to yourself. 5 days a week is plenty and you will hit plateaus and become more frustrated if you don't give yourself proper rest

If you want to intensify your cardio, I suggest HIIT. There are various versions but I like 1 minute on 1 minute off sprints with light, max incline speed walking as a cool down.

Thanks for the reply. I think you might have mis-read, but I actually said that my lungs were burning, not my legs. I wouldn't really care about burning in my legs - To me, that's a great feeling. I'm probably gonna rest today (have classes anyway), and then man up and get back at it tomorrow.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject:

cisternachyli wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
56 wrote:
for supplements I only use this Muscle Milk Whey Protein from Costco, I just picked it up because it had the highest amount of protein per serving lol (27g).

I'd recommend looking more at the percentage of protein per serving than the amount. A lot of proteins just come with a larger scoop(35-40g) which just means more filler. I myself like to use Gold Standard or Dymatize elite which have like a 31g scoop and 24g of protein per scoop.

It all depends on what your goal is. These are lean proteins for people who want to build muscle but also lose some weight(fat). There other proteins are good for people who are already lean and are looking to add mass that will help them build more muscle.

Good looking out...I was about to ask people for their recommendations on protein powders. I literally am clueless as to what I should actually be looking for. I want protein. I want it to taste fairly good. I don't want it to make me fat.

just wanted to remind all of you guys on here who take protein and creatinine; you could have a pretty big elevation of your liver enzymes. There really hasn't been many studies done, other than the one i found a few days back, but these products could be eventually harmful to the Liver. My dad is a GI doc and he just saw a guy last week that had a really high elevation in his liver enzymes and it wasn't due to anything else in his body. The guy was taking protein though...

Thanks for the info...I think most people will tell you, (especially bodybuilders) that you want most of your diet to consist of whole foods anyway. To me, protein shakes actually have the most value as in-between meals when I'm really hungry. Or like today, I woke up late for class. Had a banana with some peanut butter, and also had some protein shake. The main function would be to hold me over until I got breakfast.

I think I read somewhere that doctors said that high liver enzymes are common for people who have high protein diets, in general.
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
cisternachyli wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
56 wrote:

Thanks for the info...I think most people will tell you, (especially bodybuilders) that you want most of your diet to consist of whole foods anyway. To me, protein shakes actually have the most value as in-between meals when I'm really hungry. Or like today, I woke up late for class. Had a banana with some peanut butter, and also had some protein shake. The main function would be to hold me over until I got breakfast.

I think I read somewhere that doctors said that high liver enzymes are common for people who have high protein diets, in general.

this guy's enzymes were pretty damn high; like up near hepatitis levels. I don't know how elevated liver enzymes would be in a high protein diet, but i dont think it would be sky high like what my dad saw with this patient of his. Another thing to add, that i forgot before, is that he also had Jaundice...and an elevated bilirubin count. I don't think people who eat a lot of natural sources of protein get jaundice. I stopped taking protein shakes years ago; found that i actually do better sticking to just consuming protein in my diet.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Train like a boxer and eat like an Asian. That's what my Vietnamese mother in law told me. She usually has me eating a lot of vegetables and greens, chicken and all that stuff that healthy and good for you; while at the same time I go to work on the heavy bag, speed bag, jump rope and road work.

Now that I'm getting older, I hit the weights more for reps than strength. Just wanna stay in good shape because I don't wanna look on my dresser and see seven bottles of prescriptions keeping my ass alive.
but asians eat a lot of rice. too much rice = too many carbs. instead of a rice bowl with veggies and a little meat. do no rice, all veggies and meat.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject:

i've been doing personal training at equinox twice a week for a few months now.
slow results. not sure if it's worth the money.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject:

Has anyone here met any CrossFit person who wasn't a total (bleep) moron?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

Crossfit: the opposite of fight club because the first rule of crossfit is YOU NEVER STOP TALKING ABOUT CROSSFIT!
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject:

Share a personal trainer (half the cost) with a friend of mine. The trainer incorporates mostly Crossfit stuff for us. Results have been fantastic. Made me quit smoking since the cardio aspect is so tough... I'm not super cut or anything but lost a substantial amount of body-fat and more importantly I'm pretty addicted to working out now which is a good addiction moving forward.

It's true that Crossfitters in general can't stop talking about it and what exercises they do everyday, but it's better than being a lazy sloth. But I don't really know what it's like to be part of a "box" or the larger crossfit community really... I do it at a Muay Thai gym with a trainer, so there's that...

With crossfit, unless you have pretty good genes, you won't get big without supplemental targeted strength routine, so it's probably not for most guys who just want to look big. But I can tell you that Crossfit will:

1) Give you crazy, crazy functional cardio... so for those who play basketball, this is probably one of the better workouts. My cardio is crazy, never, ever get tired playing basketball playing at full speed. And I'm a guard, so need to be running around all the time...

2) Super strong core, back, and legs. Again, awesome for sports. Some of you guys have great routines and tend to incorporate a full-body workout, but there are a lot of guys out there who just do bench, curls, and maybe some machines to work on their lats. These guys have zero, zero functional strength.

3) Great explosive strength... you do a lot of dead-lifts, cleans, clean and jerks, etc which all help with jumping, running, and generally any fast-twitch explosive movement.

Have to say that I'm not really a big fan of kipping pullups, but they are indeed difficult to do, it takes a while to get the form down. They do look pretty stupid, but most people who can do these well can also do more than 10 strict pullups anyway, so it's sort of a moot point.

There are also some gymnastics moves which are quite hard to do and quite technical so these are fun to learn (muscle ups for example).

All in all, Crossfit has gotten a lot of people into gyms and kept them there actually doing stuff instead of looking at their phones all day. Sure there's lots of douche bags, but watch the Crossfit games and don't tell me these guys aren't athletes. Some of those people, including the women, are absolute beasts.

Everyone has different training goals and these should be respected. If you want to build your body, go ahead and do the best that you can. That's not what Crossfit is for.

Most of you guys will kill me in lifting, but I will destroy you in an obstacle course
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject:

^ For the record, I'm not against crossfit. Crossfit is awesome when done properly but, from what I see, it seems to be the new craze which means the gyms are popping up left and right with trainers who aren't educated enough to ensure the members' safety.

It's like when MMA took off; everyone wanted to get into it to be "badass" or so they could say "I'm a crossfitter/I'm an MMA fighter" but most people didn't realize that anything worth learning takes time to progress otherwise you will either quit due to slow progress or get hurt because you're too ambitious(happens in weightlifting a lot too).

For cardio conditioning and functional moves, like you said, few things will compare to what crossfit can do for you.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject:

Recently I switched from a 6 day bodybuilding type workout to a 3 day powerlifting routine. I'm satisifed with the results so far and have tons of extra time to do stuff. I'll still do core and cardio work on my off days but my training days, since there's only 3 per week, are something I always look foward to and am excited to see how much progress I can make.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
^ For the record, I'm not against crossfit. Crossfit is awesome when done properly but, from what I see, it seems to be the new craze which means the gyms are popping up left and right with trainers who aren't educated enough to ensure the members' safety.

It's like when MMA took off; everyone wanted to get into it to be "badass" or so they could say "I'm a crossfitter/I'm an MMA fighter" but most people didn't realize that anything worth learning takes time to progress otherwise you will either quit due to slow progress or get hurt because you're too ambitious(happens in weightlifting a lot too).

For cardio conditioning and functional moves, like you said, few things will compare to what crossfit can do for you.

Agreed. People get hurt too. I'm always careful about ramping up slowly especially to take care of my shoulders and lower back.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
pimp8o5
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject:

wait does going to the gym to watch girls work out consider me a "workout fanatics'??
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Checking in again since the thread was bumped. I've been busy with college and work, that it's been harder to find time to workout. I honestly just wish I could maintain my physique that I had, but I think the truth is that you can't really maintain, you need to be doing the same type of workouts to keep your physique (you always have to push yourself, and you should always strive to work your muscle until you reach that "pain," so to speak). Also, forget about breaks (even if it's just because you're busy) - You will lose strength and size really quickly if you're not consistent.

One bright spot is that my quads, hamstrings, calves, etc. got bigger and stronger. I think every man should make his legs his top priority in his workouts. It's not as noticeable as a swole chest/arms, but you will do everything easier: walking, running, stairs, going up-hill, etc.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Checking in again since the thread was bumped. I've been busy with college and work, that it's been harder to find time to workout. I honestly just wish I could maintain my physique that I had, but I think the truth is that you can't really maintain, you need to be doing the same type of workouts to keep your physique (you always have to push yourself, and you should always strive to work your muscle until you reach that "pain," so to speak). Also, forget about breaks (even if it's just because you're busy) - You will lose strength and size really quickly if you're not consistent.

One bright spot is that my quads, hamstrings, calves, etc. got bigger and stronger. I think every man should make his legs his top priority in his workouts. It's not as noticeable as a swole chest/arms, but you will do everything easier: walking, running, stairs, going up-hill, etc.

Core + back too - makes all workouts easier and critical to health.

I started doing good mornings at the end of my workouts and my back feels great, even though I injured it a few weeks ago deadlifting. Really helped rehab it and I am more confident on a lot of my lifts - I recommend starting light, however. Do not mess around with back lifts
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject:

^^Thanks for the reply. Never thought about those two, but will make sure to incorporate some exercises for them. Core seems pretty obvious, but how do you work your back (you, personally)? I usually prefer bodyweight in my workouts, but also use dumbbells and barbells.

It's funny how so many people want to get so big. I sort of used to be that way. Now, I'd much rather be an athletic beast/freak, who can run, sprint, jump at the drop of a dime, rather than a big, bulky bodybuilder who gets winded when he runs for two minutes.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject:

By the way, does anyone know the name of the exercise where you have a bar on either side of you, and you push yourself up? I think it's usually from a standing position.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Core seems pretty obvious, but how do you work your back (you, personally)? I usually prefer bodyweight in my workouts, but also use dumbbells and barbells..

Good mornings for lower back, barbell rows, lawnmower, but not like in the video, but like this. Even Squat and Deadlifts work your back - as always, good form is key.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
By the way, does anyone know the name of the exercise where you have a bar on either side of you, and you push yourself up? I think it's usually from a standing position.

Dips

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject:

How's everyone doing?

Leor - still kicking butt?

Loslakerss - hows the new routine going?

CMB - are you back to being 1998 Malone-esque
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

On a more serious note, I crossfit 6 times a week and absolutely love it. I've been doing it for a little over a year now and can honestly say that I am the "fittest" that I have ever been. I've slimmed down to 9% body fat and my cardio is better than it has ever been. I ran the tough mudder in AZ in April and I don't think I got winded once the entire time. I find myself having to do some lifts (mostly bench) outside of class, but my back and core is stronger than it has ever been, which makes sense, since most CF lift are full body and don't isolate.

It's funny, I was just reading the Apple/Beats thread and see the parallel with CF. The reason so many people hate CF is similar to why audiophiles hate Beats. There are tons of people new to crossfit who think that it's the greatest thing ever, when in reality they aren't even using proper form. If someone told me their workout routine was better than mine when they weren't even doing it right, I'd laugh at them too. This is made worse by the many crossfit trainers who either don't care about form or push their classes to work faster or lift more before they are able to safely do so. I was lucky that I joined a gym with some responsible trainers, who have helped me improve my Oly lifting form while making some pretty big gains.

With all that said, the dbags who hate on crossfit because "they don't even do strict pull-ups!!1" are 10 times worse than any of the obnoxious people who talk about crossfit all the time. Who cares if my workout is different than yours? I may do kipping or butterfly pull-ups, but I also do 100 of them in a short period of time. If it's so easy, you do it and tell me how your arms and traps feel afterwards.

Ultimately, just do what works for you. I've been working out for years, and have found that crossfit is a very fun and productive method of staying in fantastic shape. I'm enjoying working out more than I ever have before, and the results speak for themselves. I have other friends who have great results working out in a globogym, and that's great too. Everyone is different. The most important thing is to find something that you ENJOY, because that makes it infinitely easier to stick with it.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT

Last edited by Jeffs on Thu May 29, 2014 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Wellp, may as well throw in my two cents.

Last year I balloned to 185 (I'm 5'8"). Got my driver's license and I was just disgusted. Monty might remember a post I made about my feet hurting/ankles always feeling sore around this point. I've always been a thin guy but years of partying like a mofo and happy hour with the fellas left me with a beer belly and bloated face.

Started working out a bit after this point. I was just swimming, doing light jogging, etc just to get my lungs back. After about a month, I started P90. I dropped to 168 by the end of last summer.

Since then, I've been lifting/doing cardio.

Sunday: Chest/Cardio (One of the T25 routines for cardio)
Monday - Legs
Tuesday - Arms/Abs (T25 or UFC Fit routine for abs)
Wed - Back
Thursday - Shoulder.

Usually do light ab workout daily.

When I started lifting I was barley able to bench 115 lbs. Last Sunday I hit a new plateau with my last set of reps @ 190. I won't lie, I'm pretty damn proud . I've never been in this shape in my life and I can't imagine going back to a life pre-working out.

Once the ball is rolling, it's almost impossible to stop wanting to workout. A buddy of mine who I hadn't seen in months got inspired to workout/lose weight and dude went from 220 to 190 in a few months.

My goal now is to maintain the same size but lose the last bit of side/lower back fat. It's hard as hell because I still enjoy a drink here and there and my eating habits are still not as clean as it needs to be.

Oh, and my feet no longer hurt. Think it was because I got fat .
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Heading into 24hr fitness in Boulder right now y'all
Gots ta show dem young whippersnappers a thing or two

No alcohol since august got me down to 178 at one point from a high of 279.. eek
Now at 206
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: