Will we ever be what we once were?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Yes.

Now finish your homework.

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject:

This topic reminds me of something Lee Hays, the bass player for the Weavers, said during their final concert at Carnegie Hall: "Things ain't what they used to be, and what's more, they never were."
divncom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject:

JIFISH wrote:
This topic reminds me of something Lee Hays, the bass player for the Weavers, said during their final concert at Carnegie Hall: "Things ain't what they used to be, and what's more, they never were."

People do have a tendency to romanticize the past.

It's easy to do that when you have a past like this team, though.

Personally, I don't feel I took any of our winning days for granted. From Showtime to Shaq to Kobe, I always took the winning with an ounce of humility knowing how rare those things were.

If we went 20 more years without coming close to that kind of success, we'd still be a legendary franchise.

I've seen a number of people mention Durant as the possible successor in a line of Laker greats ... I'm wondering why you feel he's going to come here, though? It's not like he's full of discontent in OKC or lack of support.

It's been a long time since we rebuilt from rock bottom; that's the difference between now and other "seasons of change" imo. I suppose Magic's departure is an analogous time ... even though we were never this bad/hopeless, even during that time frame.

PostandPivot, you mention "you play for L.A. because its only 2nd to NY as a media hub. which means everytime you do well everyone on the planet knows about it. now granted this also means every time you do something wrong/bad the entire world will know(some guys like dwight cant take this.). " There's a lot of seemingly common sense type logic to this, but don't you also think we're living in a bit of a different era now with social media the way it is? Players seem to get plenty of exposure, regardless of the market they're in, thanks to the way the "social organism" or whatever it is you want to call our current state, works in. If somebody does a cool picture on the side of a bench in Montana it goes viral, you know? It's not the same dynamic as the old days - this notion of "going toward the big lights" isn't as influential when "everywhere" is a big stage.

Laker50: I see a lot of sense in your 8 point plan ... unfortunately, from where I sit, so much of it's going to revolve around where we land in the draft lottery. That's why it was killing me when we won certain games this year we had no business winning, thus costing us precious lottery balls. If we end up with a #10 pick, the complexion of the situation will change dramatically.

VegasLakerFan: "I absolutely hate these kinds of posts. First of all, there aren't really two sides - that's a message board myth largely perpetuated by posters looking to start flamewars.". I'm typically not vocal - I've been here quite a while and I've got a low post count. I also seldom create threads. My perception is that there's an obvious division in the way people are looking at things, call them separate "schools" or whatnot. Without naming names, I think it's evident even within this thread. Also, I don't see anybody flaming anybody else ... I don't see why it has to be an unfortunate thing just to point out obvious differences without labeling either side right or wrong.

Having a bad year combined with bad luck with Stern interfering in our business combined with a number of other ugly decisions/outcomes has put stress on the hardcore fans which naturally makes people a bit antsy. We can all be civilized, though ... better to acknowledge differences openly imo.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject:

divncom wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
I agree that we may never achieve the levels of dominance we've had in the past. But I think that will be more due to the CBA than faults in ownership.

That's the only sort of sensible conclusion I can see us drawing at this point. Anything else is based on mysticism.

we could draft the next shaq in five years or something, who knows lol. you are only as good as the sum of your players and you just never know who we may get, i don't see why we couldn't.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject:

divncom wrote:
JIFISH wrote:

People do have a tendency to romanticize the past.

It's easy to do that when you have a past like this team, though.

Personally, I don't feel I took any of our winning days for granted. From Showtime to Shaq to Kobe, I always took the winning with an ounce of humility knowing how rare those things were.

If we went 20 more years without coming close to that kind of success, we'd still be a legendary franchise.

I've seen a number of people mention Durant as the possible successor in a line of Laker greats ... I'm wondering why you feel he's going to come here, though? It's not like he's full of discontent in OKC or lack of support.

It's been a long time since we rebuilt from rock bottom; that's the difference between now and other "seasons of change" imo. I suppose Magic's departure is an analogous time ... even though we were never this bad/hopeless, even during that time frame.

PostandPivot, you mention "you play for L.A. because its only 2nd to NY as a media hub. which means everytime you do well everyone on the planet knows about it. now granted this also means every time you do something wrong/bad the entire world will know(some guys like dwight cant take this.). " There's a lot of seemingly common sense type logic to this, but don't you also think we're living in a bit of a different era now with social media the way it is? Players seem to get plenty of exposure, regardless of the market they're in, thanks to the way the "social organism" or whatever it is you want to call our current state, works in. If somebody does a cool picture on the side of a bench in Montana it goes viral, you know? It's not the same dynamic as the old days - this notion of "going toward the big lights" isn't as influential when "everywhere" is a big stage.

Laker50: I see a lot of sense in your 8 point plan ... unfortunately, from where I sit, so much of it's going to revolve around where we land in the draft lottery. That's why it was killing me when we won certain games this year we had no business winning, thus costing us precious lottery balls. If we end up with a #10 pick, the complexion of the situation will change dramatically.

VegasLakerFan: "I absolutely hate these kinds of posts. First of all, there aren't really two sides - that's a message board myth largely perpetuated by posters looking to start flamewars.". I'm typically not vocal - I've been here quite a while and I've got a low post count. I also seldom create threads. My perception is that there's an obvious division in the way people are looking at things, call them separate "schools" or whatnot. Without naming names, I think it's evident even within this thread. Also, I don't see anybody flaming anybody else ... I don't see why it has to be an unfortunate thing just to point out obvious differences without labeling either side right or wrong.

Having a bad year combined with bad luck with Stern interfering in our business combined with a number of other ugly decisions/outcomes has put stress on the hardcore fans which naturally makes people a bit antsy. We can all be civilized, though ... better to acknowledge differences openly imo.

yes if you do something amazing in Montana it goes viral, but you are still in Montana. There is nothing wrong with that, but there are certain cities that draws people to want to be there and LA is one of them.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:

yes if you do something amazing in Montana it goes viral, but you are still in Montana. There is nothing wrong with that, but there are certain cities that draws people to want to be there and LA is one of them.

True. Most NBA players would rather live in LA than OKC. But you do hear a lot of silliness on this topic, like people saying if Lebron came to LA his "brand" and endorsements would exponentially increase, as if no one knows who he is now.

So, yeah, the Lakers have an advantage over other teams, but it's not as big an advantage as some Lakers fans think.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: