LA Times Article: Buss family faces crucial moment with the Lakers (old article - April 2014)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:

FWIW the timing isn't coincidental. You had a team that had mortgaged future assets to acquire and maintain a team that went to 3 straight finals and won 2 of them, and the core of that team was aging. So the team took a huge shot at reshaping the team on the fly, first by trading for Chris Paul (as a prelude to pairing him with Dwight Howard), and when that was vetoed (and they had to dump Odom as a result), they regrouped by trading for Nash as the next best substitute (albeit older and riskier), and Howard. And the mortgaged still more future to do this. And it did not work out. Dwight left, Nash was injured almost immediately and never recovered, and Kobe played 6 games this season after re-injuring himself. With no cap room to work with, they were stuck with castoffs and maybes.

But all of this came from a plan signed off on by both Jerry and Jim, and one they both would do again with the same knowledge.

And another thing that Dr. Buss and Jim agreed on was that when things went south, Jim would be the whipping boy and not Jeannie, that was done by design. They knew he could handle the constant criticism and is handling it well. I think Jeannie would have fallen apart.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
People here do know Jim, and their posts are pretty much the opposite of what the media tries to convey. Think about it, if Jim were petty he never would have considered discussing the coaching vacancy with Phil considering all the crap that Phil had strewn around. But he put the Lakers over his own feelings.

Did it to appease the fan base that was screaming "We want Phil". That was pretty obvious.

So you think that talking to Phil just to appease the fans and then not hiring him would be a good PR move? It is the exact opposite.

No, but talking to Phil and then not hiring him because he has "crazy demands" or didn't really want to coach the team would be fine for PR. Looks like it worked on you.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject:

The FO never said that about Phil at the time, again they said the opposite, that Phil did not make demands.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
laker4life wrote:
24 wrote:
salami wrote:
24 wrote:
I know. Its the advantage of not being responsible. Hence you can not want pau traded, and later scream he should have been. And it is all Jim's fault...

If the right basketball choices are not being made, who else could be responsible besides the head of basketball operations?

I think you missed the point. You get to say "Noooooooo! Don't trade pau" a couple years ago when we heard jim leaned toward moving him, and then 2 years later say, "why didn't jim trade him a couple years ago?", because you're not responsible for making and living with decisions, or even being consistent. By you, I mean fans in general BTW.

ok. thanks for the clarification.

Still bad.

the worse since the Jerry Buss era and it coincides with his death.

the timing is not coincidental.

Worse since the Jerry Buss era? It's been about 400 days since the end of that era. That's not even enough time to establish a new era.

FWIW the timing isn't coincidental. You had a team that had mortgaged future assets to acquire and maintain a team that went to 3 straight finals and won 2 of them, and the core of that team was aging. So the team took a huge shot at reshaping the team on the fly, first by trading for Chris Paul (as a prelude to pairing him with Dwight Howard), and when that was vetoed (and they had to dump Odom as a result), they regrouped by trading for Nash as the next best substitute (albeit older and riskier), and Howard. And the mortgaged still more future to do this. And it did not work out. Dwight left, Nash was injured almost immediately and never recovered, and Kobe played 6 games this season after re-injuring himself. With no cap room to work with, they were stuck with castoffs and maybes.

But all of this came from a plan signed off on by both Jerry and Jim, and one they both would do again with the same knowledge.

I agree with you 24, but that isn't what the poster was implying. He said it's not a coincidence that one of our worst seasons ever happened when Jim Buss took over. But Jim Buss taking over is completely irrelevant. We'd be in the exact same situation whether Jerry had passed on or not. We'd still have MDA, Kobe still would not have been able to play, we'd still suck.

I just don't understand how people even still, could not see this down year coming. Maybe that's why I'm not stomping my foot about it ... I knew it was coming.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
laker4life wrote:
24 wrote:
salami wrote:
24 wrote:
I know. Its the advantage of not being responsible. Hence you can not want pau traded, and later scream he should have been. And it is all Jim's fault...

If the right basketball choices are not being made, who else could be responsible besides the head of basketball operations?

I think you missed the point. You get to say "Noooooooo! Don't trade pau" a couple years ago when we heard jim leaned toward moving him, and then 2 years later say, "why didn't jim trade him a couple years ago?", because you're not responsible for making and living with decisions, or even being consistent. By you, I mean fans in general BTW.

Still bad.

Worse since the Jerry Buss era? It's been about 400 days since the end of that era. That's not even enough time to establish a new era.

I agree with you 24, but that isn't what the poster was implying. He said it's not a coincidence that one of our worst seasons ever happened when Jim Buss took over. But Jim Buss taking over is completely irrelevant. We'd be in the exact same situation whether Jerry had passed on or not. We'd still have MDA, Kobe still would not have been able to play, we'd still suck.

I just don't understand how people even still, could not see this down year coming. Maybe that's why I'm not stomping my foot about it ... I knew it was coming.

They could have hired Dunleavy so we lucked out of that I guess.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
laker4life wrote:
24 wrote:
salami wrote:
24 wrote:

Still bad.

That's where I was at. We were either going to have to get real lucky vis a vis Pau, Kobe, and Nash to make any kind of a run at being decent, or we were going to stink. I'm actually happy we didn't end up in between at 10-12 worst record. Glad they didn't all out tank like a few teams, but at the same time glad they didn't get caught halfway between a playoff spot and a great lotto chance.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
24 wrote:

And another thing that Dr. Buss and Jim agreed on was that when things went south, Jim would be the whipping boy and not Jeannie, that was done by design. They knew he could handle the constant criticism and is handling it well. I think Jeannie would have fallen apart.

True, but one could also argue that if Jeannie were in charge, Phil was head coach and then things wouldn't have fallen apart as they have. Certainly we wouldn't be winning rings, but at the same time we wouldn't be seeing Kobe/Pau and others want coaches fired, all-star FA's leaving for nothing etc.

Things would be way different under Jeannie in terms of who would be in charge. Fan faith would have been restored a ton if during a down time there was a Phil Jackson or Jerry West or someone like that around. This would have taken a lot of the pressure off Jeannie as well because people would know it wasn't Jeannie running basketball ops, it was Mitch and Phil.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
24 wrote:

True, but one could also argue that if Jeannie were in charge, Phil was head coach and then things wouldn't have fallen apart as they have. Certainly we wouldn't be winning rings, but at the same time we wouldn't be seeing Kobe/Pau and others want coaches fired, all-star FA's leaving for nothing etc.

Things would be way different under Jeannie in terms of who would be in charge. Fan faith would have been restored a ton if during a down time there was a Phil Jackson or Jerry West or someone like that around. This would have taken a lot of the pressure off Jeannie as well because people would know it wasn't Jeannie running basketball ops, it was Mitch and Phil.

My point exactly. Things simply would not have fallen apart as it has with Phil.

It has simply been a disaster.

During Jerry Buss tenure, it has never gone so bad so fast. When Dwight leaves your team and Pau makes his comments, you know there are problems. News outlets are coming out and pointing out the issues with this team you have to recognize what is going on.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject:

I mean.. no disrespect or anything.. but don't some of y'all get tired of discussing what could have been?

Nobody knows the real story regarding Phil Jackson. I believe he was called. I believed they discussed the opening to which Phil Jackson wasn't interested because he wanted a front office position of which there was NO POSITION available on the Lakers. Where do I get that from?

Quote:

@LakersNation "He was not offered any official position” - Jeanie Buss on Phil Jackson (via @TWCSportsNet)

16 PM - 18 Mar 2014

In hindsight, it's super easy to say Phil Jackson would've fixed everything.. but I find that super difficult to believe.

I stand by my assumption that Dwight Howard preferred to be with a younger, hipper team (James Harden, Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons). A team where he can do those jokester type things like having people run out from the tunnel by themselves.. or more recently getting *everybody* to get their haircuts done in a mohawk.

Could you see Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Steve Nash, or Steve Blake doing that? Nothing against them.. but they're more of a professional / serious type of player.

As far as this past years teams go.. I've said it once and I'll say it again.. when each individual player was signed they were all written off as scrubs. Now, all of a sudden a teamful of scrubs would've been successful because of one almighty Phil Jackson with no Steve Nash or Kobe Bryant? C'monnnn...
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject:

Luca Brasi wrote:
One thing the article missed out on is Mitch reticence about Nash's asking price. If it was his decision and his alone, he probably walks away.

I'd still make the deal, because it was a good gamble. But that deal clearly rests at someone else's feet.

Interesting Luca. I recall in the PC for Nash Mitch even said Jim suggested to him to go out and talk to Steve's agent.

Wouldn't be surprised if Jim were the one who really wanted that move, to give his coach Mike Brown a fair crack in the playoffs having been eaten alive by Westbrook/Sessions match up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Luca Brasi wrote:
One thing the article missed out on is Mitch reticence about Nash's asking price. If it was his decision and his alone, he probably walks away.

I'd still make the deal, because it was a good gamble. But that deal clearly rests at someone else's feet.

Interesting Luca. I recall in the PC for Nash Mitch even said Jim suggested to him to go out and talk to Steve's agent.

Wouldn't be surprised if Jim were the one who really wanted that move, to give his coach Mike Brown a fair crack in the playoffs having been eaten alive by Westbrook/Sessions match up.

it wouldn't be surprising that with his father at death's door and desperate to see his team match the celtics he would make an emotional decision. the Brown firing was all emotion.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Luca Brasi wrote:

it wouldn't be surprising that with his father at death's door and desperate to see his team match the celtics he would make an emotional decision. the Brown firing was all emotion.

Yup, this is the reason all the Jimbo threads tend to make my eyes glaze over. People tend to simply pull stuff out of thin air ("it wouldn't be surprising if ...") and then treat their wild guesses like they are facts.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
24 wrote:

That can be argued, but there is no basis for that argument. I think that was part of the reason that Dr. Buss set things up the way he did, to minimize the havoc that Phil could create in the FO.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
I mean.. no disrespect or anything.. but don't some of y'all get tired of discussing what could have been?

Nobody knows the real story regarding Phil Jackson. I believe he was called. I believed they discussed the opening to which Phil Jackson wasn't interested because he wanted a front office position of which there was NO POSITION available on the Lakers. Where do I get that from? ..

Yup, this is pretty typical. If you want to bash someone, there's no easier way to do that to imagine alternative scenarios where everything goes 100% the way you want them to.

If we had hired Phil, I can imagine all sorts of outcomes. It could have worked out as a best case. Or Phil (who frankly seemed burned out on coaching) could have flamed out and then everyone would have criticized Jimbo for going with a "safe" choice instead of being daring and hiring someone like, oh, MDA.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Luca Brasi wrote:

Yup, this is the reason all the Jimbo threads tend to make my eyes glaze over. People tend to simply pull stuff out of thin air ("it wouldn't be surprising if ...") and then treat their wild guesses like they are facts.

My favorite one that I see used a lot here is ....

"I guarantee that if..."

That one really convinces me sometimes.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
activeverb wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Luca Brasi wrote:

"I guarantee that if..."

Happens a lot around these parts lately.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
You must have really hated the 6 seasons in the 90's when the Lakers were unimportant. I am sure you were all over Jerry Buss for that.

No internet back then!

Sharoon Francis
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject:

The firing of Mike Brown wasn't based on "emotions". It was based on Mike Brown's incompetence.

To suggest otherwise would be to quickly forget the unnecessarily long practices in addition to borked lineups tallying into a 0-5 start for the season with a squad that should have at least been able to play defense even if the Princeton offense wasn't coming into fruition so easily... since that's apparently what Jim Buss would've hired Mike Brown for, his acumen in coaching defense.

We should've been getting a Tom Thibodeau in Mike Brown and instead we got a Mike D'Antoni without even the offense either... so we went and got the real Mike D'Antoni to get the offense but it was all too late after Nash's injury.

All of this because Rick Adelman never had a LeBron James to win him a Coach of the Year award.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
activeverb wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Luca Brasi wrote:

"I guarantee that if..."

Happens a lot around these parts lately.

Greenfrog - I've thought the same thing not just on Brown but on the win-now roster decisions made around that time as well.

you guys are spot-on when it comes to 'Jimbo-bashing'... SO much pulled out of thin air, so many assumptions made that contradict statements from PJ much less Mitch, Jeannie, or Jim, and so many posters who think PJ would have fixed everything.

If only... I guarantee that if...

I liked PJ as a coach. Doesn't change the fact we lost in the first round his last season here, and that he said Jerry was the one who didn't want him, not Jim. It's history - move on folks.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Is this DeMarcus Cancer trade have anything to do with Jim Buss promising to step down in 3 years (now 2 years beginning this season) if Lakers don't make it to the WCF?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject:

I don't think so, there are solid basketball reasons to make the trade as Mitch has reportedly structured. Giving up the #2 and matching salary for Cousins is a good deal.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Jump to: