Mini Mamba in Russia thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject:

krisobe wrote:
How in the world does a person choose MEEKS over MINI MAMBA?! Baffling.

I know this is old, but it's clear that the Lakers didn't make a mistake in choosing Meeks over Glock. Still, it would've been nice to have Glock on the team especially as our PGs started dropping like flies. However, you can't blame the Lakers for not carrying another small guard on a roster that already included Nash, Blake and Farmar.
lakerlynx
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
laker84 wrote:
another angle:

some cute russian girls in this angle.

For an unmarried American man, Russian girls are a dream come true. Attractive, slender, long hair, care about their appearance, affectionate, educated, always helpful, lets you watch sports , etc. So refreshing after years of dealing with the over-inflated egos of American women.
laker84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
krisobe wrote:

I know this is old, but it's clear that the Lakers didn't make a mistake in choosing Meeks over Glock. Still, it would've been nice to have Glock on the team especially as our PGs started dropping like flies. However, you can't blame the Lakers for not carrying another small guard on a roster that already included Nash, Blake and Farmar.

In terms of Lakers picking Meeks over Goudelock its difficult call to make as to whether if it was right or wrong imo, but personally I would pick Goudelock over Meeks, yes Meeks made some improvements but I really don't know how that truly pans out if the team was second to last in the conference.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject:

laker84 wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
krisobe wrote:

In terms of Lakers picking Meeks over Goudelock its difficult call to make as to whether if it was right or wrong imo, but personally I would pick Goudelock over Meeks, yes Meeks made some improvements but I really don't know how that truly pans out if the team was second to last in the conference.

Really? Meeks was one of the more improved players in the NBA, on both sides of the ball. Glock can shoot, but what else?
laker84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
laker84 wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
krisobe wrote:

Really? Meeks was one of the more improved players in the NBA, on both sides of the ball. Glock can shoot, but what else?

Its not that he can only shoot and its the kind of shots he takes and he is better scorer and ball handler than Meeks. Meeks can dunk more emphatically and is far more consistent in playing solid defense.

Until Goudelock ever be he granted the opportunity to play extended games and minutes for a good coach in the NBA, like he was in the dleague, russian vtb and eurocup I guess the jury will be out.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject:

laker84 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
laker84 wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
krisobe wrote:

Its not that he can only shoot and its the kind of shots he takes and he is better scorer and ball handler than Meeks. Meeks can dunk more emphatically and is far more consistent in playing solid defense.

Until Goudelock ever be he granted the opportunity to play extended games and minutes for a good coach in the NBA, like he was in the dleague, russian vtb and eurocup I guess the jury will be out.

You obviously missed the fact that Jodie improved his handles and ability to finish at the rim. He even developed a nice floater, which Glock is also adept at. If anything, the 2013-14 version of Meeks is what Glock could've been if he was a few inches taller. Glock can still shine in the NBA in the right situation, but it's VERY difficult to argue that he would've given us better production that what we saw out of Meeks this past season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject:

There's a reason why Glock is in Russia while Meeks will be looking to cash in this summer. Glock, is at best, a 4th guard off the bench. Meeks is hovering at starting material for a non-contender team, and the 1st guard off the bench for a contender.
laker84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
There's a reason why Glock is in Russia while Meeks will be looking to cash in this summer. Glock, is at best, a 4th guard off the bench. Meeks is hovering at starting material for a non-contender team, and the 1st guard off the bench for a contender.

And one of many minor reasons why the Lakers are where they are, near the bottom

In Russia as a leading scorer for a team with second best record in that league(s) and leading them to the finals and also the mvp of the dleague, its not about only ability, its about the right opportunity which he was lucky to fall into in Europe and the dleague and also why a majority of NBA franchises are disaster areas , unfortunately Lakers have fallen to that category... atleast i'll give the Lakers players credit for the effort. I put this on the FO.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject:

laker84 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

And one of many minor reasons why the Lakers are where they are, near the bottom

In Russia as a leading scorer for a team with second best record in that league(s) and leading them to the finals and also the mvp of the dleague, its not about only ability, its about the right opportunity which he was lucky to fall into in Europe and the dleague and also why a majority of NBA franchises are disaster areas , unfortunately Lakers have fallen to that category... atleast i'll give the Lakers players credit for the effort. I put this on the FO.

You do realize that he was on other NBA teams too that subsequently cut or did not renew his contract. Glock isn't going to win/lose championships for you.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
laker84 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You do realize that he was on other NBA teams too that subsequently cut or did not renew his contract. Glock isn't going to win/lose championships for you.

I think we need to stop with the debate. There's only so much you can say to someone who thinks that letting go of Glock somehow contributed to the worst season in Lakers history. Can't argue with a diehard fan.

laker84 - I don't mean this as a personal attack. It's just obvious that you hold Glock in MUCH higher esteem than the average Lakers fan.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
laker84 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think we need to stop with the debate. There's only so much you can say to someone who thinks that letting go of Glock somehow contributed to the worst season in Lakers history. Can't argue with a diehard fan.

laker84 - I don't mean this as a personal attack. It's just obvious that you hold Glock in MUCH higher esteem than the average Lakers fan.

Well, there is one poster who still swears DJO is the next GOAT player (though 3-4 teams have now had him and cut/released/gave him minimal PT).

I guess once you are a Lakers summer camp legend it never goes away!
laker84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
laker84 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Well actually he wasn't on any other NBA teams, he was on dleague teams and a summer league team, there were some interests in him but not enough to land him a contract other than the Lakers. Maybe he hasn't cultivated or attained the big betters' touch yet... if thats truly the case, he is better off playing in Europe or China.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject:

laker84 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
laker84 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Well actually he wasn't on any other NBA teams, he was on dleague teams and a summer league team, there were some interests in him but not enough to land him a contract other than the Lakers. Maybe he hasn't cultivated or attained the big betters' touch yet... if thats truly the case, he is better off playing in Europe or China.

Which is even worse that he couldn't be a 10-12th man on another NBA roster. Let's just agree to disagree. I'm sure he'll tear up China/Europe; NBA? not so much.
laker84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
laker84 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

As to my thinking that Glock was reason for Lakers season, might be seen delusional to many, I would say at best its a very very minor reason, maybe at best, there could have been 5-10 more wins which would still be pretty awful for this franchise. Definitely I wouldn't say he would have salvage the season, he is capable of being a good scorer but carrying a team at the NBA level, in my mind the jury is still out on that but maybe if the situation is just right, who knows?
laker84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
laker84 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
laker84 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Which is even worse that he couldn't be a 10-12th man on another NBA roster. Let's just agree to disagree. I'm sure he'll tear up China/Europe; NBA? not so much.

And he could make some descent money at it. In the NBA that opportunity will have to be given particularly by a coach, gm or owner who is a huge fan of his game or some aspect of his game... odds on that are like pretty close to zero.
laker84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject:

Andrew Goudelock was named the MVP of the VTB league in Russia

and he was also named to the All-Eurocup First Team

http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/eurocup/news/i/136252
Dondre
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject:

Hey been a while since I've visited the thread.

Laker84 > Glad to see you updating us with everything he's doing out there. I check add he was awarded another accolade.

MVP of the Eurocup 2014

Something really special about the guy as a basketball player. I think sometimes he gets himself in trouble with his comments but he's won over his teammates out there. He's been lights out too.. I heard he's shooting over 45% behind the arc.

yinoma2001 > I will agree with you that Meeks as really stepped up his game this year, especially that breakout game in OKC. But 9 times out of 10 his points have no real sway on the final outcome of the game. How many buzzer beaters has he hit this year? How many defenders has he locked down at the PG position? I'm not trying to knock Meeks, I hope he makes atleast 3M as a Laker next season. It's just as much as he's improved I still don't think his upside is as high as AG's.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject:

I get your point, but Meeks has locked down Lillard and Harden, among others, in the games we won against those top seeded teams.
Dondre
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
I get your point, but Meeks has locked down Lillard and Harden, among others, in the games we won against those top seeded teams.

That's very hard to believe but I'll take your word for it. I'd feel better is someone else could corroborate your statement.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Dondre wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

That's very hard to believe but I'll take your word for it. I'd feel better is someone else could corroborate your statement.

Well for instance at 4:32

Dondre
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Dondre wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Well for instance at 4:32

This is a no win position for me. (Although the clip you showed me has Meeks nearly throwing the inbounds pass out of bounds) I'm not going to down Meeks, I always liked him and this thread really isn't about him. When I started this thread I had no idea that AG would do do well in Europe, I had my doubts. He's won all the awards out there now he needs to help his team win the Eurocup.. finals against Spain today. And I think if his team could win the VTLeague championship he's set for life. Good luck Lock
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject:

Don't get me wrong though. I'm a huge Goudelocke fan. Love his floater! Wouldn't mind him back for cheap, but we'd need a good coach.

Sorta offtopic, but if his team wins the championship, do they get promoted to the Euroleague?
Dondre
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Don't get me wrong though. I'm a huge Goudelocke fan. Love his floater! Wouldn't mind him back for cheap, but we'd need a good coach.

Sorta offtopic, but if his team wins the championship, do they get promoted to the Euroleague?

That questions on topic.. Yes, If they win Unics gains entry into the Euroleague. Unfortunately, they just lost the first of 2 games by 19 points in Spain today. In order for them to win they have to beat Valencia Basket by at least 20 points at home. The chances of that happening are slim.
laker84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Dondre wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

That questions on topic.. Yes, If they win Unics gains entry into the Euroleague. Unfortunately, they just lost the first of 2 games by 19 points in Spain today. In order for them to win they have to beat Valencia Basket by at least 20 points at home. The chances of that happening are slim.

They lost by 13 points not 19 and they were down by as much as 30 or 33 points. They have to win by 14 points to win the Eurocup at home.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: