Report: LeBron James, annoyed with Micky Arison, not ready to commit to Heat
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
No. 17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Report: LeBron James, annoyed with Micky Arison, not ready to commit to Heat

Quote:
LeBron James reportedly doesn’t want to take a salary cut in order to save Heat owner Micky Arison money. That’s apparently not a new concern.

It’s been festering.

The Heat paid the luxury tax the previous two years, and they’ll pay it again this season. But in the last year, they’ve really dialed back their spending.

They amnestied Mike Miller.
Instead of using a draft pick to upgrade their roster, they used it as a sweetener to unload Joel Anthony’s contract.
They didn’t use the mid-level exception, their primary tool for adding another rotation-caliber player.
Miami has allowed its roster to stagnate and age, creating a lack of depth really showed in the Finals.

If the Heat had spent more to build a deeper team, maybe they’d be NBA champions – and not waiting on a mum LeBron.

Brian Windhorst of ESPN:

a victory for the Heat at this stage likely means getting James to commit for one more season. Again, this is not ideal. When that infamous “not five, not six …” speech was delivered, James was under the impression that he would be staying in Miami for a second long-term contract. Despite a strong and historic run, James isn’t ready to commit to that given the current state of the team.

The Heat are the favorites; this is not in question. But there is a window of doubt due to the way the season ended, Wade’s health and some bitterness James harbors that Micky Arison put the brakes on spending over the past year.

That is why his most likely path is to opt out of his contract after the draft so that he will maximize his flexibility while putting teams on the clock.

This would force the Heat to take action on the free-agent market to improve the roster and, essentially, spend money even though they are facing significant luxury-tax penalties. It would also buy time for James to meet with other teams and examine plans and for rival teams to make trades or signings to potentially make them more attractive. Some deals are more likely to happen in July rather than in late June.

Like Windhorst, I believe LeBron will stay with the Heat, the odds-on favorite to keep him. Nearly all the reasons he signed with Miami in 2010 remain in place.

But this is absolutely a time to apply pressure.

Chasing Carmelo Anthony has been presented as a way to upgrade the roster. But if Miami creates cap room to sign him, there’s nearly no way they’ll pay the luxury tax season. It’s just too difficult, under Collective Bargaining Agreement Rules, to dip that far below the salary cap and then exceed the luxury-tax line within a single year. It’s not coincidence the Heat didn’t pay the tax in their first year with LeBron, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

Really, a run at Melo is a great stealth way to trim payroll.

In 2015-16, especially if LeBron signs a reduced one-year contract this summer and then sought to re-up for a max deal once Melo was in the fold, the tax hit could be large. But maybe by then, Arison will have found other ways to trim salary. Would LeBron give Arison a year’s cushion on the hope spending increased the following year?

LeBron could opt out now, and that would really apply pressure on the Heat. But if they’re not motivated already, something is wrong.

The big three, especially LeBron, generate a lot of revenue for Arison. That doesn’t mean Arison must spend like the Nets to appease them, but quite likely, being thrifty and losing LeBron would be a net loss.

LeBron is just reminding Arison of that fact. If he opts out to really hammer it home, so be it.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/19/report-lebron-james-annoyed-with-micky-arison-not-ready-to-commit-to-heat/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject:

That is a smart tactic if he's really the reason he'll opt out.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject:

Quote:
This would force the Heat to take action on the free-agent market to improve the roster and, essentially, spend money even though they are facing significant luxury-tax penalties.

BS. The Heat barely have any money. All they have is the MMLE to add any significant talent.

It will be crazy if Lebron asks Wade to take less if he isn't sure he is coming back.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject:

If anyone should take less to keep the team together, it should be Wade. LeBron really should get what he can right now.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject:

Quote:
If the Heat had spent more to build a deeper team, maybe they’d be NBA champions

I don't know, 3 All-Stars and the games best 3-point shooter should be enough.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Quote:
If the Heat had spent more to build a deeper team, maybe they’d be NBA champions

I don't know, 3 All-Stars and the games best 3-point shooter should be enough.
Period!
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject:

I thought tabloid reporters were bad. I think at the very least LeBron won't leave the Eastern Conference the easiest path to the NBA Finals
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
I thought tabloid reporters were bad. I think at the very least LeBron won't leave the Eastern Conference the easiest path to the NBA Finals

I agree. Even with no changes made to the roster, there's very little out there on the horizon to stop them from a 5th consecutive trip to the Finals. Outside of Indy, the East really is that bad. Miami's a great team, but they have an even greater fortune of location location location.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject:

You know, after listening to Pat Riley today I thought I detected some desperation in his voice, as if there may be a chance Lebron leaves.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject:

thegreatest wrote:
Quote:
This would force the Heat to take action on the free-agent market to improve the roster and, essentially, spend money even though they are facing significant luxury-tax penalties.

BS. The Heat barely have any money. All they have is the MMLE to add any significant talent.

It will be crazy if Lebron asks Wade to take less if he isn't sure he is coming back.

Only Wade can be willing to do that proactively.

There isn't a circumstance where I could see one player going to another and asking him "hey, can you take less money?". It goes against every code out there. Never talk or (bleep) with another guy's money.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject:

These are reasonable points. The Big Three have made a lot of money for Miami, and I could see them being ticked off about the Miller amnesty and not using the exemption. If they opt out, Miami will have been penny wise, dollar foolish.

Personally, I was very surprised about the Miller amnesty for this reason.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
You know, after listening to Pat Riley today I thought I detected some desperation in his voice, as if there may be a chance Lebron leaves.

The idea was they built a big 3.

The big 3 is now a big 1 at the tail end of the 4th finals.

It could be a snowball effect, Big 3 not really anymore, took less money, lost the finals & angry about team FO being cheapskates.

Last edited by lakers0505 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
thegreatest wrote:
Quote:

There isn't a circumstance where I could see one player going to another and asking him "hey, can you take less money?". It goes against every code out there. Never talk or (bleep) with another guy's money.

The way it would work is Lebron, Wade and Bosh would get together and decide if they were all willing to give up money to sign Melo. It would be a joint decision. To sign Melo, they all have to opt out and sign for less.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
thegreatest wrote:
Quote:

The way it would work is Lebron, Wade and Bosh would get together and decide if they were all willing to give up money to sign Melo. It would be a joint decision. To sign Melo, they all have to opt out and sign for less.

It goes much deeper than that. It would take LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Melo and Riles getting together and agreeing on the following.

1. All four of them opt out.
2. LeBron, Bosh and Wade agree to one year deals leaving the max allowed money for Melo (less cap holds) under the CBA on the first year deal.
3. Riles guarantees that next summer LeBron, Wade and Bosh get their money back in the form of the max contracts allowed under CBA for teams signing their own free agents, luxury tax payments be damned.

Does it sound like collusion/cap circumvention to you?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject:

golakersgo121 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
thegreatest wrote:
Quote:

It goes much deeper than that. It would take LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Melo and Riles getting together and agreeing on the following.

2. LeBron, Bosh and Wade agree to one year deals leaving the max allowed money for Melo (less cap holds) under the CBA on the first year deal.
3. Riles guarantees that next summer LeBron, Wade and Bosh get their money back in the form of the max contracts allowed under CBA for teams signing their own free agents, luxury tax payments be damned.

I doubt it would work like that. I can't see the NBA standing for the Heat signing Melo for $21 million, the Big Three each lopping $7 million off their salaries, and then resigning for the max next year. That would be such a clear case of cap circumvention that the league wouldn't stand for it, in my opinion.

I think it would have to be a case of Melo taking as big a hit as Wade, Bosh and James for it to work.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
golakersgo121 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
thegreatest wrote:
Quote:

I doubt it would work like that. I can't see the NBA standing for the Heat signing Melo for $21 million, the Big Three each lopping $7 million off their salaries, and then resigning for the max next year. That would be such a clear case of cap circumvention that the league wouldn't stand for it, in my opinion.

I think it would have to be a case of Melo taking as big a hit as Wade, Bosh and James for it to work.

Right - and because these sacrifices are too great in amount - I simply don't believe for it to be feasible. And I don't doubt for one minute that scenario I have put above the league wouldn't (and shouldn't) tolerate as it is, indeed, a clear circumvention and collusion.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject:

They got rid of Joel Anthony and Mike Miller - They would still get curb stomped by the Spurs with those two on the team.
alexjlake_gr8t
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
They got rid of Joel Anthony and Mike Miller - They would still get curb stomped by the Spurs with those two on the team.

The current cheats situation is perfect ammo against those that say Kobe never made anyone better as the leader while crying about having to play with the likes of Smush and Bynum with the F.O. sitting on their laurels not improving the team as they ALSO promised...
Vicky T
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject:

lol I love when FOs trade saving money for championships
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject:

It would be funny if Lebron left and the Heat signed Carmelo to replace him.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject:

golakersgo121 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
golakersgo121 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
thegreatest wrote:
Quote:

Right - and because these sacrifices are too great in amount - I simply don't believe for it to be feasible. And I don't doubt for one minute that scenario I have put above the league wouldn't (and shouldn't) tolerate as it is, indeed, a clear circumvention and collusion.

If all four of them took an equal hit, the league wouldn't find. There wouldn't be anything wrong with that.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject:

^^^
I am referring to hypothetical one year deals of lower values the trio would have to take, and then re-upping in a year. Even if Melo took a hit during year one as well - they would want nothing to do with it...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject:

golakersgo121 wrote:
^^^
I am referring to hypothetical one year deals of lower values the trio would have to take, and then re-upping in a year. Even if Melo took a hit during year one as well - they would want nothing to do with it...

As long as the Heat are following the rules and doing the same thing any other team is going, I don't see anything hypocritical about it.

Also, I believe the rules are if the Heat guys opted out and signed new contracts, they couldn't have an option before the third year. So they would need to take a salary hit for two years.

In addition, they wouldn't have Melo's bird rights, so they couldn't resign him to a higher amount.

My bottom line is if the Heat guys and Melo mutually agreed to take lower salaries so they could play together there is nothing wrong about that.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Another reason why I don't think he will ever go back to Cleveland...if he's annoyed with Arison, then he must really not like Dan Gilbert...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Another reason why I don't think he will ever go back to Cleveland...if he's annoyed with Arison, then he must really not like Dan Gilbert...

Lebron is a grown-up and a businessman. If the situation was right, I could see him going back to Cleveland. He's smart enough to know all owners are businessmen with their own agendas.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: