Better PF prospect coming out of College. Randle vs Griffin
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject:

I am willing to bet that Randle will have better numbers the year after he was drafted than Blake did...!

Last edited by unleasHell on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject:

No idea, but I think Randle will end up being a much better half court player than Blake, I think he will be more conducive to winning in the playoffs, once he's a finished product.
Lakerfan#37
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Lakersfield wrote:
I finally got to see a Kentucky game. I like to see a player at least 3 times before I make judgment but I liked what I see in Randle. He was a little leaner and taller than I imagined. Just watching him bringing the ball on the middle on the fastbreak and pass off without charging was impressive. He also showed some passing skills in the half court and he rebounded well in a crowd. He did hit a three from the top the circle. I know he as limited amount of shots and makes out there but he had a nice arc to the shot and probably could develop it over time. He didn't look like somebody that could block a lot of shots. I wouldn't mind having a Julius on the team already have enough Jordans.

I like your assessment of Randle, but add another Jordan to the team.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
So are we saying a former #1 pick in the draft and a perennial all-star would go #5 or 6 in this draft? I think that's a stretch, no? Or is this draft that good?

If Blake coming out of college were in this draft, I wonder where he would go. I'd guess #2 behind Embiid. He had a lot of hype and his jaw dropping athleticism just made him impossible to pass over for any team.

Aaron Gordon is the prospect closest resembling Griffin.

He's #6.

The difference between his freshman and sophomore year in terms of strength and athleticism were tremendous.

WAY late to the game in this thread but let's also not forget that at THE TIME, the 2009 draft was projected as being an overall weak draft. I distinctly remember the comparisons to the 2000 draft and Blake being talked about as the #1 in the same vein that Kenyon Martin was. Fug, even Simmons talked about it in a few of his pod casts back then. Blake out of college and the scouting reports of him isn't remotely close to the Blake we see today. He was seen as the #1 by default. The hype was solely on his athleticism.

http://www.nbadraft.net/node/7374

Blake coming out was as raw as can be. He just happened to pan out in a dramatic way.

Of course, hindsight is 20/20 but that was absolutely the sentiment at the time.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject:

Coming out of college, Griff represented the better prospect of those two draft entrants, to be preferred by all clubs except those managed by the criminally-insane.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
So are we saying a former #1 pick in the draft and a perennial all-star would go #5 or 6 in this draft? I think that's a stretch, no? Or is this draft that good?

If Blake coming out of college were in this draft, I wonder where he would go. I'd guess #2 behind Embiid. He had a lot of hype and his jaw dropping athleticism just made him impossible to pass over for any team.

Aaron Gordon is the prospect closest resembling Griffin.

He's #6.

The difference between his freshman and sophomore year in terms of strength and athleticism were tremendous.

WAY late to the game in this thread but let's also not forget that at THE TIME, the 2009 draft was projected as being an overall weak draft. I distinctly remember the comparisons to the 2000 draft and Blake being talked about as the #1 in the same vein that Kenyon Martin was. Fug, even Simmons talked about it in a few of his pod casts back then. Blake out of college and the scouting reports of him isn't remotely close to the Blake we see today. He was seen as the #1 by default. The hype was solely on his athleticism.

http://www.nbadraft.net/node/7374

Blake coming out was as raw as can be. He just happened to pan out in a dramatic way.

Of course, hindsight is 20/20 but that was absolutely the sentiment at the time.

Disagree.

Kenyon Martin was a senior out of Cincy. Should have developed more than he did out of college and the NBA level.

Martin was a 2-foot straight line jumper. Blake was the better overall athlete. He also didn't break his leg like KMart did.

Blake played the PF slot like a SF, everything was a face up game from 10'. The past two years were his biggest transformation as a player, but it was predicated on his ball-handling first, passing abilities second, and jumpshooting last.

Blake and Gordon actually handle the ball, pass, even shoot similarly by age. Gordon doesn't have Blake's strength, so I likened him to David Lee instead, with defensive ability and 3-point range.

That would go FAR in the NBA.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject:

If we're going to compare randle to Blake griffin it's only fair to give randle a 2 year grace period.

Blake came out as a sophomore and randle as a freshman. So that's 1 year of extra development for griffin.

Blake sat out his entire rookie season due to injury. That's basically a year more developing his mind and his body is maturing also. I'm sure he learned a lot during that year sitting on the sidelines and learning the NBA game. 2 years.

Im still giving Blake a slight edge out of college but only because of that extra year. I'm also not going to judge randle based on blames rookie season. Randle gets 3 years grace period from me but I already like what I see.
cyclo7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Randle has more skills.

Blake had more athletic upside. He built himself in the weight room. Huge concerns about his perimeter touch, FT%, defensive rebounding.

LOL
cyclo7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

As strong as Griffin is, he can't handle Randle.

LOL
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject:

cyclo7 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Randle has more skills.

Blake had more athletic upside. He built himself in the weight room. Huge concerns about his perimeter touch, FT%, defensive rebounding.

LOL

What's so funny?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
cyclo7 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Randle has more skills.

LOL

What's so funny?

I agree with mike. Nobody in the NBA right now is strong enough to handle him on the block and he's only 19. He will get a lot stronger.

I disagree on Blake being more athletic though because thier combine test were identical. I think Blake uses his athleticism better in game and that's because he's just in another league than randle when it comes to fitness. Randle has a lot of work to do in that area and it will help his in game athelticsim.

Still, he will never jump in game like Blake, but Blake will never have randles speed with the ball in hand on fast breaks.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
22 wrote:
cyclo7 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Randle has more skills.

LOL

What's so funny?

I agree with mike. Nobody in the NBA right now is strong enough to handle him on the block and he's only 19. He will get a lot stronger.

I disagree on Blake being more athletic though because thier combine test were identical. I think Blake uses his athleticism better in game and that's because he's just in another league than randle when it comes to fitness. Randle has a lot of work to do in that area and it will help his in game athelticsim.

Still, he will never jump in game like Blake, but Blake will never have randles speed with the ball in hand on fast breaks.

Blakes vertical was tested 40+ after his injury. Anyone who thinks Blakes 35" vert at the combine is what he's jumping now is crazy.
Randle is definitely more skilled than Blake.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject:

By Age.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Griffin is more athletic but it's not by much. Randle has more skills, is stronger, and is athletic as well. Randle is also mentally tougher, Griffin gets fouled hard and pushed around a lot.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: