DirecTV / HD / NFL Sunday Ticket Subscribers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: DirecTV / HD / NFL Sunday Ticket Subscribers

Don't know if this has been posted yet (I didn't check the subsequent pages), but...

DirecTV is offering a fairly decent promotion for renewing subscribers of the NFL Sunday Ticket.

Basically, through this promotion, you can receive their new High Def receiver with DVR (TIVO) and their Superfan package ,which allows you to view all of the games in HD (whenever available), for free. The HD-DVR receiver retails from $349-$399, and the Superfan package is $99.

In order to qualify, however, you must have ordered the Sunday Ticket last season and be scheduled for automatic renew. The promotion will kick in if you call them up and advise them that you wish to cancel your renewal to the Sunday Ticket. In an effort to retain your subscription, they will offer you the HD-DVR receiver. They also have a concurrent promotion where you'll be eligible to receive the Superfan package as well so be sure to ask for it.

BTW...

These combined promotions are being offered on the DL so it's likely that the first CSR you get ahold of won't know what you're talking about. If you get shut down on the first attempt, call back. Eventually, you'll get referred to their "retention" unit which knows more about the deal.

Finally...

From my own personal experience, I would recommend that you moderate your approach when you deal the CSR's. I've no doubt that they get more than their fair of subscribers who threaten to cancel their service if they don't receive freebies every six months.

What I did was to let them know that I was aware of the promotion and that, as a long-time subscriber of both DirecTV and Sunday Ticket (7 years in October), I would appreciate having a shot at this promotion. I further told them that I knew it was being offered to those who threatened not to renew, but that I wasn't going to try and pull that stunt (since I was happy with my service and was gonna renew no matter what). The CSR that I dealt with told me that she appreciated the comments and proceeded to look into the deal. After being on hold for several minutes, she came back and told me that she had researched the promotions and that I would be eligible for the deal. On top of this, she waived the "shipping & handling" charges associated with the equipment and installation ($19.95). Furthermore, she gave me a free 3-month trial offer on their Starz movie package.

As someone making the transition to HD, this promotion allowed me to get:

A) the HD-DVR receiver;
B) the NFL Sunday Ticket "Superfan" package;
C) shipping & handling; and,
D) a 3-month movie package

for free.

Now, if there was only some type of DirecTV promotion where they'll pick up the tab for my Sharp Aqous...

BTW, if you think that I'm runnin' game on you...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=686376
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Nice deal to bad I have neither Sunday ticket or Directv. While this is a great deal a lot of company's give you some extras/free/lower price if you try to cancel their service. Like when I cancelled my comcast Internet 3 months ago because it was to much money(60 a month). They offered to lower the price I didn't take them up on it though since I had already signed up with a new ISP.

That's a great deal though I wish I could get it. To watch all those games in HDtv I would wet myself.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject:

I'm a DirecTv subscriber, and the reason they are giving those HD DVRs away is because they have MPEG2 decoders, and they are starting to migrate away from MPEG2 to MPEG4. It will be a couple of years or more before the process is completed, but any new HD channels added beyond what's already there will only be available in MPEG4, according to what I've read.

It's still not a bad deal. But those DVRs will have to be replaced within a few years, and will not be fully functional for receiving or recording any new HD channels that are added in the meantime.

They are also giving away the new MPEG4 HD receivers without a DVR to current HD subscribers. Their MPEG4 HD DVR is still in development.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: