Gasol the Bull (and the Laker, the Spur, and the Grizzly)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Gasol the Bull (and the Laker, the Spur, and the Grizzly)

First, I'm ambivalent regarding Gasol. He gave the Lakers some great years and he gave some that were mediocre. And yes, I've said a gagillion times I wanted him traded to Houston or to another team to get value, but I accept the Lakers' philosophy that it is the players wearing the purple and gold who give the team its history, and taking care of them is sound from a sense of appreciation but can also be sound business practice.

On the Bulls, with Noah doing the dirty work and providing energy, we just might see a pretty darn good Gasol. This just might be a good match and a better combination that Howard and Gasol.

What will be a challenge though, is just how effective Tom Thibodeau will be in persuading Gasol to commit to his defensive focus.

It's going to be a different season next year, that's for sure.

Last edited by ribeye on Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Gasol's going to be 34. He's got one maybe two good seasons left. I don't think he can take the punishment of banging near the rim anymore. With Noah inside, Pau is going to be shooting a lot of jumpers - again

Bulls are not getting past the first round anyway.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Playing next to a guy like Noah is exactly what Pau needs at this point in his career. He will bail him out a lot.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Pau makes them better, but everything still hinges on Rose. If he's healthy and plays at least 70 gams at 90% of his former self, the Bulls can be the 1 seed.

If he gets hurt again, they'll still be a top 4 seed, but it will be Pacers vs. Cavs in the ECF.

Also, not sure about how Pau will fit with Noah and Gibson, but I think Thibs will be able to make it work.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Gasol the Bull.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
Pau makes them better, but everything still hinges on Rose. If he's healthy and plays at least 70 gams at 90% of his former self, the Bulls can be the 1 seed.

If he gets hurt again, they'll still be a top 4 seed, but it will be Pacers vs. Cavs in the ECF.

Also, not sure about how Pau will fit with Noah and Gibson, but I think Thibs will be able to make it work.

I think Rose will never be the same again. There a first round exit team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Doubt Pau closes out games. Will be taj and Noah while Pau sits in the 4th.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject:

They need his offense and inside presence.

His defense sucks but the Bulls are starving for scorers especially on the inside. Pau can still score if a fly doesn't land on him and cause an injury.

Bye.
BigGameYimmy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Gasol won't make them a contender but Melo would have.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject:

BigGameYimmy wrote:

yes.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject:

For the price they paid, Bulls got a bargain. Pau's passing will probably be just as important as his scoring. Guys like Noah and Butler are gonna love playing with him.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Gasol the Bull

ribeye wrote:
First, I'm ambivalent regarding Gasol. He gave the Lakers some great years and he gave some that were mediocre. And yes, I've said a gagillion times I wanted him traded to Houston or to another team to get value, but I accept the Lakers' philosophy that it is the players wearing the purple and gold who give the team its history, and taking care of them is sound from a sense of appreciation but can also be sound e.

huh?the Lakers actually did trade Gasol once, for Chris Paul, the deal just fell through. Beyond that he was constantly on the trading block.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Gasol the Bull

activeverb wrote:
ribeye wrote:
First, I'm ambivalent regarding Gasol. He gave the Lakers some great years and he gave some that were mediocre. And yes, I've said a gagillion times I wanted him traded to Houston or to another team to get value, but I accept the Lakers' philosophy that it is the players wearing the purple and gold who give the team its history, and taking care of them is sound from a sense of appreciation but can also be sound e.

huh?the Lakers actually did trade Gasol once, for Chris Paul, the deal just fell through. Beyond that he was constantly on the trading block.

Trading him for CP3 was the right move.

Sure they did shop him a lot, but never pulled the trigger because they valued him that much (to a fault). That shows how we felt about Pau. Sure, it might have been hard on him. But it shows we wanted to keep him ultimately.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject:

BigGameYimmy wrote:

They'll contend in the East, if they add just one more good perimeter scorer or if Rose is just 2/3 of his former self.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject:

Remember Norman from City Slickers?
I'm sure he's all grown up now.

Norman the bull. Hopefully he's still alive and well.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Gasol the Bull

activeverb wrote:
ribeye wrote:

The Lakers never went back and simply deleted the Hornets portion of the trade (CP3) and accept what the Hornets would have received, you know, Lowry or Dragic, Scola, Martin, a first.
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Smooth that we got nothing in return for him.

Real smooth.
Black Salt
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Thibs is the coach. There is always a chance of production when you have a coach as good has him.
Romano338
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Nice move for the Bulls.
Gasol is. Ot what he used to be but with good players around him, he will be more than ok.
With the best inside defender of the league near him, who is willing to make efforts for 2 if needed, and some decent to good outside defenders, Pau's lack of defense won't be an issue like it was with the Lakers.
But he needs to find back his accuracy on shooting. He had some serious trouble last year and the Bulls probably want him to be better on that.
And he can play center with Gibson, who is an other great defender.

That will be the craziest inside passing duo in NBA history, no? Noah is the best center for assists, and Gasol is great too. Pretty insane.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject:

If Rose isn't healthy - here's their best offensive player. If Rose is, then Gasol is their #2. His value won't be on D, or how many minutes he plays. It will be to give a team a much needed go to scorer. This team's best scorer over the years has been Derrick Rose taking 25 shots a night, dominating the ball. Or Luol Deng. So they're real happy about adding Pau's skillset to their team.

It's a nice situation, IMO.

Championship? No, but at least he'll close out his career playing for a team that's likely in the playoffs and Pau's a big part of their offense.

My heart really wanted to have Phil coach the Lakers one last year or two and close out Kobe's career and have Pau be there. They all were just meant for each other. If we had surrounded them with the right supporting cast with athletic players, we'd have a shot at making a Spurs like run eventually too. But Phil's influence was just not there like Pop's in SAN. So yeah my heart doesn't like that Pau's in CHI and Kobe's best big is Jordan Hill. I feel the two should have closed out their careers together.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
If Rose isn't healthy - here's their best offensive player. If Rose is, then Gasol is their #2. His value won't be on D, or how many minutes he plays. It will be to give a team a much needed go to scorer. This team's best scorer over the years has been Derrick Rose taking 25 shots a night, dominating the ball. Or Luol Deng. So they're real happy about adding Pau's skillset to their team.

It's a nice situation, IMO.

Championship? No, but at least he'll close out his career playing for a team that's likely in the playoffs and Pau's a big part of their offense.

My heart really wanted to have Phil coach the Lakers one last year or two and close out Kobe's career and have Pau be there. They all were just meant for each other. If we had surrounded them with the right supporting cast with athletic players, we'd have a shot at making a Spurs like run eventually too. But Phil's influence was just not there like Pop's in SAN. So yeah my heart doesn't like that Pau's in CHI and Kobe's best big is Jordan Hill. I feel the two should have closed out their careers together.

You echoed my sentiments in the last paragraph. If not with Phil, maybe Shaw.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Can we get this thread stickied to keep track of how he does next year? Just can't let go...

OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Doubt Pau closes out games. Will be taj and Noah while Pau sits in the 4th.

Disagree. Last minute scoring is a likely spot where he will be needed on that team.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject:

shnxx wrote:
BigGameYimmy wrote:

yes.

Guess we will ind out. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he has a big impact. Remember that he has something to prove again.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:56 am    Post subject:

He still can't guard pfs. Look for him to play limited minutes with Noah he's not a power forward on offense either they are just going to collapse the paint leaving no place for Rose to drive in the lane. After a short experiment he will be seeing mostly backup minutes to Noah. He might start to sooth his ego but more than likely he gets a quick hook and Gibson comes in for him.

The twin tower offenses have never worked with him as much, as it has been tried.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 1 of 28
Jump to: