Thoughts on the the upcoming season

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Thoughts on the the upcoming season

Mods, feel free to bury this in any appropriate existing thread.

I just wanted to state some thoughts about the upcoming Lakers team.

1. Rising to a challenge - I know a lot of you guys are current or former ball players. When you play(ed) do you always insist on playing on a stacked team or instantly give up before the game starts if your team is not (on paper) as good as the other team seems to be?

I remember many times when my teams were not as good as the other team that we would win because we played together well and had a good strategy...or someone would rise to the occasion...and we had a fearless leader.

My point is that people complain that Lebron stacked his Heat team and many here discredited his accomplishments because of that. The Lakers have some good core players, some good young talent and maybe some promising Free Agents that will surprise us and they have the MAMBA!

Maybe all they need is a good coach who can utilize his team's talents, build unity and have a good gameplan.

2. Many People here don't seem to think to highly of Nick Young...Empty Stats...good player on a lousy team, etc.

What did people think of Trevor Ariza before he joined the Lakers as he floundered on the various teams he warmed the bench for? Overrated? Underperformer? Should have stayed in school?

Then Kobe got behind him and then look what he accomplished. NBA champion! Everyone clamoring to bring him back....hometown favorite....

Now Kobe is getting behind Nick Young and pushing...I liked what SwaggyP did last season....sometimes he carried the team by doing what he does best...he's not afraid....yes, he's a gunner, but he is cares about the Lakers. Now if Kobe can teach him a thing or two about performing for a championship, I think the sky is the limit. I hope Kobe can bring the best out of NYoung.

Give Nick Young a chance....

Thanks
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Maybe all they need is a good coach who can utilize his team's talents, build unity and have a good gameplan.

Easier said than done. Look at how badly Mike Brown and Mike Dantoni failed. These guys aren't doctors, but they're still getting paid MILLIONS of dollars to run a team, yet they still fail at it.

I would have liked to see Fisher as coach. I think he'll be a HOF coach someday.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
Quote:

Easier said than done. Look at how badly Mike Brown and Mike Dantoni failed. These guys aren't doctors, but they're still getting paid MILLIONS of dollars to run a team, yet they still fail at it.

I would have liked to see Fisher as coach. I think he'll be a HOF coach someday.

I agree, it's hard to find a good coach. But Mike Brown and Mike D'Antoni are morons. They are the type of guys who keep trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject:

To be honest, this sounds a bit like the beginning of last season as well.

Hoping for the best though.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the the upcoming season

Lakerpark wrote:
Mods, feel free to bury this in any appropriate existing thread.

I just wanted to state some thoughts about the upcoming Lakers team.

1. Rising to a challenge - I know a lot of you guys are current or former ball players. When you play(ed) do you always insist on playing on a stacked team or instantly give up before the game starts if your team is not (on paper) as good as the other team seems to be?

I remember many times when my teams were not as good as the other team that we would win because we played together well and had a good strategy...or someone would rise to the occasion...and we had a fearless leader.

My point is that people complain that Lebron stacked his Heat team and many here discredited his accomplishments because of that. The Lakers have some good core players, some good young talent and maybe some promising Free Agents that will surprise us and they have the MAMBA!

2. Many People here don't seem to think to highly of Nick Young...Empty Stats...good player on a lousy team, etc.

What did people think of Trevor Ariza before he joined the Lakers as he floundered on the various teams he warmed the bench for? Overrated? Underperformer? Should have stayed in school?

Then Kobe got behind him and then look what he accomplished. NBA champion! Everyone clamoring to bring him back....hometown favorite....

Now Kobe is getting behind Nick Young and pushing...I liked what SwaggyP did last season....sometimes he carried the team by doing what he does best...he's not afraid....yes, he's a gunner, but he is cares about the Lakers. Now if Kobe can teach him a thing or two about performing for a championship, I think the sky is the limit. I hope Kobe can bring the best out of NYoung.

Give Nick Young a chance....

Thanks

I'm with you.
KobeShaqalliance
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the the upcoming season

Couple of things.

1. You said we signed some good free agents? Basically we re-signed Young and Hill. Ed Davis is the only free agent signing I like. Young and Hill I would have just let go. Signing Young to a four year deal was ridiculous.

2. Comparing a young Trevor Ariza to a veteran in Nick Young is ridiculous. Trevor was still only 24 or so when he joined the Lakers. Nick Young is 29 and is not going to learn anything from Kobe.

3. I will watch to see Kobe's last years and to watch Randle. I will root for the Lakers to win as I can't handle rooting against them like I did last year at the end, and I don't think we will land a top five pick. Team will probably win 32 to 35 games.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the the upcoming season

KobeShaqalliance wrote:
Couple of things.

1. You said we signed some good free agents? Basically we re-signed Young and Hill. Ed Davis is the only free agent signing I like. Young and Hill I would have just let go. Signing Young to a four year deal was ridiculous.

2. Comparing a young Trevor Ariza to a veteran in Nick Young is ridiculous. Trevor was still only 24 or so when he joined the Lakers. Nick Young is 29 and is not going to learn anything from Kobe.

3. I will watch to see Kobe's last years and to watch Randle. I will root for the Lakers to win as I can't handle rooting against them like I did last year at the end, and I don't think we will land a top five pick. Team will probably win 32 to 35 games.

You must be a believer in that old saying "you can't teach a dog new tricks".

I believe in the saying, "you're never too old to learn something new".

I believe Nick Young's short comings are mental in nature. He has shown he has the physical skills to succeed. Mental growth comes from mentoring and maturity. Maybe he never had a good mentor.
KobeShaqalliance
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the the upcoming season

Lakerpark wrote:

You must be a believer in that old saying "you can't teach a dog new tricks".

I believe in the saying, "you're never too old to learn something new".

I believe Nick Young's short comings are mental in nature. He has shown he has the physical skills to succeed. Mental growth comes from mentoring and maturity. Maybe he never had a good mentor.

I admire your optimism. If you are right, the Lakers will be better than expected. I would love to see it happen, but it is quite unlikely.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject:

Another thought...
3. The Lakers are building a team to tank - If they didn't tank last season (given lots of good reasons), what makes people think they are trying to build a team to tank for this season?

Maybe they still have some moves up their sleeves.

As I see it they need help at SF and a big center.

Maybe Sacre has been training big time and they are expecting big things from him.....(I wish....lol) We all know there is lots of room for improvement for Sacre....but he is the Lakers Biggest Center....he's their banger.
meows a lot
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject:

wow i have no idea that Nick was 29...

anyway - better question to ask is, comparing this year's roster shaping up, vs last year, was there an improvement or decline?

a big question mark of course is the coach, we don't have one yet and that can definitely determine the outcome of the team wins/syngery.

i didnt follow the lakers last year so i don't really have any idea about the players and skillsets

maybe someone can go a comparison position by position if this has been done can someone point me to the thread?

ty
what's the same instead of
always looking at what's different,

...well, who knows?”

- Meowth
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject:

A lot will have to go right for the Lakers to be a .500 team or better, IMHO.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject:

meows a lot wrote:
wow i have no idea that Nick was 29...

I seriously thought he was 15.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject:

We have no one proven right now, and i say no one because we do not know what to expect from Kobe. This season will be frustrating or surprising. One thing i am hoping is that we find a coach who will control this group - mainly someone who wont allow Kobe to do anything he wants.
freshp
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

pretty much this
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Took the words right out of my mouth.
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject:

I'll know when two things happen.
- Head Coach
- Health of Kobe

btw: Lakers are looking taller this year, which makes them better.

--ROSTER--
Point Guards
Jeremy Lin 6-3
Jordan Clarkson 6-5
Kendall Marshall 6-4

Shooting Guards
Kobe Bryant 6-6

Small Forwards
Nick Young 6-7

Power Forwards
Ryan Kelly 6-11
Julius Randle 6-9
Ed Davis 6-10
Carlos Boozer 6-9

Centers
Robert Sacre 7-0
Jordan Hill 6-10
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: