Kareem Abdul-Jabbar wrote a response to LeBron's return to Cleveland
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
The more I think about it, it's funny that Kareem wrote this piece. I don't know if there is an superstar in NBA history who played the fan game worse than Kareem.

I had the same reaction. In addition, I was struck by the fact that Kareem pats himself on the back for the way he left Milwaukee. I don't think he was really writing about Lebron.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Lebron went back to Cleveland because they are loaded with 3 out of 4 #1 draft picks and have better long term prospects than Miami. I guess saying he went home is a much better way than saying that he is a mercenary superstar.

exactly. the media is ignoring this. they have a crap load of young talent on that team. young talent that will be running the NBA with Lebron for the next 4-6 years. as opposed to the heat which would only give Lebron a 1-2 year window to win a ring. .

The guy's smart. If he had jumped to, say, Houston there would have been a firestorm of complaints and protests. Going back to the Cavs turns his changing teams into a feel-good story.

Except people are comparing him going to CLE, to him going to MIA from CLE. Which of course, makes no sense.

He's going from a team that appeared in the NBA Finals, to a team that won 33 games.

The best part is how everyone was laughing at how awful Anthony Bennett is, and now, people are upset because Lebron is going to join "#1 pick" Anthony Bennett.
LAL4K3RS
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject:

At least Cap wrote this letter, I highly doubt LeBJ could form the words to articulate his return to C-leaveland. The fact that he is ashamed of his behavior and leaving for Miami is such a huge flippin lie.

He wanted 7 rings...he got two and he saw that no number of new faces would win him another ring in Miami. Wade is old and Bosh is still Bosh.

He had his window in Miami and now that it is closed, he ran back to C-leaveland and is climbing on his giant cross to show the world he has some kind of heart.

A guy who flops as much as he does is doing one of his best flop jobs on the people of Ohio and they are f'in stupid enough to believe him.

I hope he leaves in 2 years and ends up playing on 3 more teams and nobody hangs his worthless jersey in the rafters.
This Laker Organization has not yet hit bottom. It is moving there quickly, and I suspect this year we will see zero talent coming to the Lakers and we will trade away Kuz and BI for old vets in the hopes of giving LeBronze some scapegoats.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Lebron went back to Cleveland because they are loaded with 3 out of 4 #1 draft picks and have better long term prospects than Miami. I guess saying he went home is a much better way than saying that he is a mercenary superstar.

exactly. the media is ignoring this. they have a crap load of young talent on that team. young talent that will be running the NBA with Lebron for the next 4-6 years. as opposed to the heat which would only give Lebron a 1-2 year window to win a ring. .

The guy's smart. If he had jumped to, say, Houston there would have been a firestorm of complaints and protests. Going back to the Cavs turns his changing teams into a feel-good story.

Except people are comparing him going to CLE, to him going to MIA from CLE. Which of course, makes no sense.

He's going from a team that appeared in the NBA Finals, to a team that won 33 games.

The best part is how everyone was laughing at how awful Anthony Bennett is, and now, people are upset because Lebron is going to join "#1 pick" Anthony Bennett.

I don't agree with you. Of course, there are always going to be some people who find fault with James no matter what he does. By and large, though, I think the response to his going to the Cavs has been positive.

And I don't know where you are getting this Anthony Bennett stuff - I haven't heard anything about that.

But I find you the opposite side of the coin of the people who never stop complaining about Lebron -- you bend over backwards to complain about how Lebron is being mistreated by others.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Agree with Kareem, it'll never be like before.

Here's an article if every player went home like Lebron.

http://elitedaily.com/sports/this-what-nba-would-look-like-if-every-star-went-home-like-lebron-james-photos/663531/

That Chicago team... hottdamn!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I don't agree with you. Of course, there are always going to be some people who find fault with James no matter what he does. By and large, though, I think the response to his going to the Cavs has been positive.

And I don't know where you are getting this Anthony Bennett stuff - I haven't heard anything about that.

But I find you the opposite side of the coin of the people who never stop complaining about Lebron -- you bend over backwards to complain about how Lebron is being mistreated by others.

He still thinks the #1 pick people mentioned is the Anthony Bennet pick.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Oh ringfinger knows. Just like he knows that his description of the Cavs simply being a 33 win team and the Heat being a Finals powerhouse going into next season is complete BS.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Oh ringfinger knows. Just like he knows that his description of the Cavs simply being a 33 win team and the Heat being a Finals powerhouse going into next season is complete BS.

Cavs are an interesting team. If you take Lebron out of the equation, their roster doesn't make your jaw drop open. But they have tons of young talent that could be really good, depending on how they develop. And they could have a lot of cap space next year.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Cavs are an interesting team. If you take Lebron out of the equation, their roster doesn't make your jaw drop open. But they have tons of young talent that could be really good, depending on how they develop. And they could have a lot of cap space next year.

most of their cap space disappears into kyrie's extension doesn't it?
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject:

did wade ever imagine he'd hand the team over and have it given back to him?

hahahaha
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject:

I think people may be overthinking Lebron's "strategy". He and his family appear to really enjoy life in Akron. Sure he has a Cleveland team full of young talent, but certainly not more young talent than say OKC has been playing with the last 4 seasons .
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
I think people may be overthinking Lebron's "strategy". He and his family appear to really enjoy life in Akron. Sure he has a Cleveland team full of young talent, but certainly not more young talent than say OKC has been playing with the last 4 seasons .

My guess it was a combination of stuff.

Lebron probably saw the Heat were nearing the end of their run, and he realized that he would get a lot of criticism as a ring chaser if he went to, say, Houston, but people would generally like the idea of him returning "home" to Cleveland.

It was good for basketball reasons, good for marketing reasons, good for his rep, and he probably does like Cleveland.

But I agree that he didn't pick Cleveland because of its talent alone -- he had other options that were as good or better.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject:

AshesToAshes wrote:
did wade ever imagine he'd hand the team over and have it given back to him?

hahahaha

Wade's been around the block.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

I kind of agree. I think it was just the perfect storm. Dude seems to like it there, the Miami core was spent (see Lakers 2010), and Cleveland had genuine potential before ever getting the #1 pick in the most loaded draft in a decade. I'd leave too.

At 25-26, the bright lights, partying and playing with your boys in Miami was a major lure At 29-30 and with a family growing up, not so much.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
activeverb wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

That depends on which options they exercise.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Telleris wrote:
activeverb wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I disagree with the bolded. Unless you just mean they don't have famous names. I think they're talent is quite good, not could be. I also think you CAN take Lebron off the roster and they'll still do fine. The most important thing Lebron is bringing to that team is a big name and a lot of hype. Skills...not so much.
Irving is awesome.
Wiggins is awesome.
Varejao is great for hustle/defense.
Anthony Bennet is pretty damn good.
Haywood is pretty good.
Lebron is pretty good (especially if he doesn't have to shoulder the scoring load, which he doesn't).
They'll add James Jones and Ray Allen maybe, i mean, they're totally fine with or without Lebron.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

The Heat would still be a powerhouse with Lebron, but only in the East. They were 12-3 in the playoffs against the East and I was pretty disappointed that Indiana and Brooklyn put up such a weak fight against them.

I think Miami could have won another title if Lebron stayed because they probably had a cakewalk to the finals again and it's no guarantee that they would face the Spurs again, who I always thought was the worst matchup for them. But in the long run, he has a better chance of winning multiple titles in Cleveland.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

They added Wiggins (who they could trade for Love), added Mike Miller after Lebron recruited him, and are trying to get Ray Allen for another year. Anthony Bennett did play much better at the end of the season. Even without Lebron I think they're better than a 33 win team. Wiggins or Love added to last years team have the potential to make them a better than .500 team even without Lebron.

I think that #1 pick makes a big difference. Cleveland wouldn't look nearly as attractive if they had no draft pick at all.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Telleris wrote:
activeverb wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I disagree with the bolded. Unless you just mean they don't have famous names. I think they're talent is quite good, not could be. I also think you CAN take Lebron off the roster and they'll still do fine. The most important thing Lebron is bringing to that team is a big name and a lot of hype. Skills...not so much.
Irving is awesome.
Wiggins is awesome.
Varejao is great for hustle/defense.
Anthony Bennet is pretty damn good.
Haywood is pretty good.
Lebron is pretty good (especially if he doesn't have to shoulder the scoring load, which he doesn't).
They'll add James Jones and Ray Allen maybe, i mean, they're totally fine with or without Lebron.

You're funny.
Black Salt
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject:

Here's my response to the Lebron going back home:

Dear Public

Who gives a (bleep).

Respectively,

Black Salt
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: