thoughts on last night's ESPY show

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: thoughts on last night's ESPY show

that show is turning into a crowns meet, just look at all the weird funky wardrobe wore on that show. i did not know shorts with blazers are in trend nowadays. couple thoughts on the show itself

1, that michael sam piece was totally PC crap, the guy hasn't done a thing to warrant a special award on this show, last time i check ESPY is an award show for top athletes and teams over the past year.

2, although that Stuart Scott cancer piece was moving and touching, but if you listen closely, he basically was telling the story of his suffering (tubes coming out from each part of body, just came out of surgery, etc), i thought that segment was for fighting cancer, not to listen to your personal pain. i may sound like a douche by saying this, but that's how it came off to me.

lastly, with all the east coast bias, anti LA sports agenda ESPN has going on since beginning of the time, i wish they move this show to the east coast, you're not welcome here in LA, and get rid of that ESPN Zone too.

Last edited by SGV-Laker fan on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject:

Do people really watch the ESPYs?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject:

ESPY's reminds me of ESPN's attempt to make their own sports oriented version of the Academy Awards.....except most of it is to pat themselves on the back for being a "great" sports network.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ESPY's reminds me of ESPN's attempt to make their own sports oriented version of the Academy Awards.....except most of it is to pat themselves on the back for being a "great" sports network.

yeah, Stuart Scott mentioned while he was in hospital, he received calls from ESPN executives offered to bring him meals, so cheesy.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject:

I thought the show was for the most part boring but I did think the Michael Sam and Stuart Scott speeches were moving and the best part of the show.

Also the side pieces song was pretty funny. And the Lance Stephenson blowing in the ear thing.
frenchbullcho
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject:

Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject:

Cheesy or not, I got a lump in my throat when I listened to Stuart's speech.

As for the ESPYs, I don't really watch the show anymore. Anything that is worth watching is usually posted in clips after the fact.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject:

They should put it in NYC, where people will still not care.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject:

frenchbullcho wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzuqgjJgyU4

OMG. That was hilarious.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject:

The last time I watched a full ESPYs show was "Will you be my tennis ball?"

Kiss my Converse.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Do people really watch the ESPYs?

Apparently so. I'm not really sure why. I happened to be flipping channels and caught the very beginning of the show. I'm not really sure who Drake is, but he wasn't very funny. It sounds like he might have gotten funnier later, so maybe he just got off to a slow start. Anyway, I switched channels.

Oddly, they were running the ESPYs on both ESPN and ESPN2. I'm not sure what that was about. Did they have some stand up comics critiquing Drake on ESPN2?

Anyway, in the past the ESPYs have struck me as a remarkably fake event. No one shows up unless they are involved in the show or already know that they're going to win. There was a shot of Kevin Durant in the crowd, so he must have won something. There were a bunch of Spurs in the crowd, so they must have won something as a team. Lebron and Wade weren't there, so I guess they didn't win anything. That seems like a lame concept for an awards show.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject:

It's a bunch of people wearing sunglasses indoors and thinking it's cool.
Brandon98
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:

Outside of Stuart Scott's speech, the show was pretty brutal. I really should have used my time better, but I tuned in hoping the Kings would see a little recognition. I was wrong there also.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject:

Brandon98 wrote:
Outside of Stuart Scott's speech, the show was pretty brutal. I really should have used my time better, but I tuned in hoping the Kings would see a little recognition. I was wrong there also.

come back player of the year was a joke too. Russel Westbrook's team flamed out in the playoffs and he didn't have his usual statistic regular season either. it should've gone to josh beckett, if he's still a red sox he'd definitely have won it.
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: thoughts on last night's ESPY show

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
that show is turning into a crowns meet, just look at all the weird funky wardrobe wore on that show. i did not know shorts with blazers are in trend nowadays. couple thoughts on the show itself

1, that michael sam piece was totally PC crap, the guy hasn't done a thing to warrant a special award on this show, last time i check ESPY is an award show for top athletes and teams over the past year.

2, although that Stuart Scott cancer piece was moving and touching, but if you listen closely, he basically was telling the story of his suffering (tubes coming out from each part of body, just came out of surgery, etc), i thought that segment was for fighting cancer, not to listen to your personal pain. i may sound like a douche by saying this, but that's how it came off to me.

lastly, with all the east coast bias, anti LA sports agenda ESPN has going on since beginning of the time, i wish they move this show to the east coast, you're not welcome here in LA, and get rid of that ESPN Zone too.

To be honest, you sound like a douche in regards to both your points.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject:

I didn't watch it, but the clips from Drake are pretty funny.

Here's another one.

Manny Pacquiao sings Let it Go

loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: thoughts on last night's ESPY show

RMurphy_22 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

To be honest, you sound like a douche in regards to both your points.

To quote The Dude, "That's just your opinion, man."

I agree with both points.

1. All I've gotten from Michael Sam and Jason Collins was that they were using the fact that they are gay to get them some attention/a contract because based on their skill alone, they're forgettable. I don't see how that's a good thing for gay rights. They're not just living their lives and we found out they're gay, they had to make a big deal about it and, to me, that just screams attention (bleep).

2. I also agree that he should talk about overcoming the hardships and to be brave and "never give up". Don't use the speech as a way to give shout-outs to colleagues.
West24Bryant
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
It's a bunch of people wearing sunglasses indoors and thinking it's cool.

Same as last years. And the only funny parts in the last 2 years of the show combined were the dwight & Jay Z segments in my opinion.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Didn't watch it but I think the San Antonio Spurs did the world a huge favor last June.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: