OFFICIAL 2015 Team Tank thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 891, 892, 893  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlinfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject:

divncom wrote:
The decision on whether to take the tanking perspective or not isn't really a matter of choice.

It's sort of like those developmental psychology experiments they (still) do where they'd sit a kid in front of a piece of candy and tell them they could have that piece of candy now, or two if they withhold their impulsive reptilian brained desires briefly.

The kids who hold/held off on immediate gratification grow into adults who succeed in life ... the candy grabbers live day to day, have no sense of investment or the long term picture and are always poor and angry.

Tanking is the logical thing to do - I was crestfallen when we won those last couple games this season but in my opinion Randle is just as good if not better than the kids in the spots just before him... so in my eyes we got a top 5 pick, and maybe even a #1 in other drafts.

It might be all moot, though. I think Silver is serious about busting the illogical tank fest up. Watching Milwaukee battle Utah at the end of the season in a tactical battle to lose in front of 1,000 fans who came in on free tickets can't be good for image purposes.

We always have a choice

And politely disagree with your analogy. I see it as 30 teams chasing one piece of candy - delaying (tanking) increase your chances but is by no means guaranteeing it.

Even with the new system, you'll probably still see teams "tanking" or trying to acquire these picks as assets.

"Under the current system, the team with the worst record has a 25 percent chance of snagging the no. 1 pick, perhaps the most valuable asset in the entire NBA. The team with the second-worst record has a 19.9 percent chance of winning the no. 1 pick, and the third-worst team enters the lottery with a 15.6 percent chance of moving up to the top slot. The odds decline from there, with the final five teams in the lottery — the teams with the five best records — each having a 1.1 percent or worse chance of moving up to no. 1.

The league’s proposal gives at least the four worst teams the same chance at winning the no. 1 pick: approximately an identical 11 percent shot for each club. The odds decline slowly from there, with the team in the next spot holding a 10 percent chance. The lottery team with the best record will have a 2 percent chance of leaping to the no. 1 pick, up from the the minuscule 0.5 percent chance it has under the current system."
usc/lakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject:

Dave Miller on Access Sports Net has Steve Nash starting at PG to start the season lol wow...full supporter of team tank is strong.
Black Salt
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject:

Ugh, 3 more months of whining and crying from Laker fans and dumb (bleep) writing about how Kobe ruinded the Lakers. Wow, how original. Didn't know giving your heart and soul to the team for 18 years, winning 5 titles was ruining a franchise. My disdain for people and media types grows by the minute.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject:

Considering this team is very nearly a re-tread of last year's, I'd love nothing more than for the Lakers to have their own pick next year (since they're not likely to compete in the WC), but that's a very tall order considering we'd have to end up with the 2nd worst record to be guaranteed to get our pick, and if not, luck out with a top 3 in the lottery (assuming the system stays the same.) What the (bleep) were the Lakers thinking not protecting those picks better? Were the Suns really in a position to demand weaker protection?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Considering this team is very nearly a re-tread of last year's, I'd love nothing more than for the Lakers to have their own pick next year (since they're not likely to compete in the WC), but that's a very tall order considering we'd have to end up with the 2nd worst record to be guaranteed to get our pick, and if not, luck out with a top 3 in the lottery (assuming the system stays the same.) What the (bleep) were the Lakers thinking not protecting those picks better? Were the Suns really in a position to demand weaker protection?

They were thinking, kobe Nash pau Howard. We're going for the ring, so you can have our late draft pick.
Who Takes The Blame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject:

Now that Cleveland is not gonna get the #1 pick for a long time and their trying to get Kevin Love so im guessing were gonna have to tank real hard to get the #1. Kobe might be happy but i would like that #1 pick.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

They were thinking, kobe Nash pau Howard. We're going for the ring, so you can have our late draft pick.

Yeah, but the whole idea of pick protection is a "just in case" scenario. It's not unusual for teams that believe they'll be late firsts to still lottery protect them for the first few years, just in case.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
epak wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

Yeah, but the whole idea of pick protection is a "just in case" scenario. It's not unusual for teams that believe they'll be late firsts to still lottery protect them for the first few years, just in case.

True. Maybe the other teams were holding up the trade unless Lakers only top 5 protected the pick?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject:

We're not tanking intentionally. Need 17 wins to get top 2 worst record. Just not possible with a possibly healthy Kobe and the current squad.

I see them hovering in the end of the lottery most of the year. They will try to compete, develop Randle, Kelly, Clarkson, etc. to be winners. Teaching them to tank is not a good start.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject:

usc/lakers wrote:
Dave Miller on Access Sports Net has Steve Nash starting at PG to start the season lol wow...full supporter of team tank is strong.

If Nash is healthy, he's still elite. So if he's healthy it makes sense for him to start.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
usc/lakers wrote:

If Nash is healthy, he's still elite. So if he's healthy it makes sense for him to start.

I'd rather not. Just let him come off the bench. Totally stunts the team's growth and day to day continuity. He'll play 20 minutes one game, need to sit out 3, start and play 15 minutes, etc.

I would lean on him to develop the youngsters but not count on him to start. However, he probably ends up starting anyways. Oh well.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
usc/lakers wrote:

I'd rather not. Just let him come off the bench. Totally stunts the team's growth and day to day continuity. He'll play 20 minutes one game, need to sit out 3, start and play 15 minutes, etc.

I would lean on him to develop the youngsters but not count on him to start. However, he probably ends up starting anyways. Oh well.

plus he 141 years old
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject:

If you're the worst team in the league, the odds are greater that you pick 4th than 1st. The only way to ensure a top five pick is by finishing with one of the two worst records in the league. If you have the fifth worst record, it's basically a coin flip as to whether you will improve/maintain position or fall back as Boston did last year.

With such uncertainty, and a pick out of the 5 going to Phoenix, there's no way the Lakers would tank at the outset of the season--I doubt they would under normal circumstances anyway but that's another matter. As frustrating as last season was, at least it culminated in Randolph. It's going to a bitter pill to swallow if the Lakers have to ship the 6th pick in the draft to the Suns.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject:

81 wrote:
If you're the worst team in the league, the odds are greater that you pick 4th than 1st. The only way to ensure a top five pick is by finishing with one of the two worst records in the league. If you have the fifth worst record, it's basically a coin flip as to whether you will improve/maintain position or fall back as Boston did last year.

With such uncertainty, and a pick out of the 5 going to Phoenix, there's no way the Lakers would tank at the outset of the season--I doubt they would under normal circumstances anyway but that's another matter. As frustrating as last season was, at least it culminated in Randolph. It's going to a bitter pill to swallow if the Lakers have to ship the 6th pick in the draft to the Suns.

Oops, meant Randle. Need more coffee.
usc/lakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
usc/lakers wrote:

have't seen him healthy since he got to the Lakers. Don't think any of us should rely for him to be, especially at 40+ years old. Nash is done. He can't even play back to back games.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
usc/lakers wrote:

I'd prefer that he comes off the bench too. But when it comes to skill at the PG position, Nash is still one of the best in the league.

If he's not healthy enough to play consistent minutes (which is very likely the case), he probably shouldn't start. But if by some miracle he's able to play consistently, then he's the starter.

Last edited by Reflexx on Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
usc/lakers wrote:

I'd prefer that too. But when it comes to skill at the PG position, Nash is still one of the best in the league.

If he's not healthy enough to play consistent minutes (which is very likely the case), he probably shouldn't start. But if by some miracle he's able to play consistently, then he's the starter.

Oh no doubt. We have the most skilled PG/SG in the game hands down. Just the health/durability part is problematic. If Nash/Kobe can impart their knowledge and dedication to guys like Randle and Clarkson, that would be a great step.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject:

Nash would be better off the bench and would do great leading the 2nd unit and organizing the offense.

Have Lin play the first 8 minutes and last 8 minutes off each half and have Nash play the middle 8 minutes. So Lin would play 32 minutes a game while Nash takes the remaining 16.

I'd rest Nash on all back to backs and make Clarkson the backup in those games.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject:

Isn't Nash going to use the excuse(reasoning) that he needs to start because he will stiffen up on the bench?
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
usc/lakers wrote:

Elite in being a (bleep) bench warmer and the biggest piece in Lakers falling flat on thier face.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
usc/lakers wrote:

Elite in being a (bleep) bench warmer and the biggest piece in Lakers falling flat on thier face.

Thanks for the amazing basketball insight. I'm sure you've earned the respect of many with your detailed observation.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
usc/lakers wrote:

Even if Nash is healthy. He is 40-41 right now. I don't want a 40 year old point guard who can't play defense to be starting. He will do better with the second unit where he has to guard slower and less killed players. Lin is young and has decent defense. This team needs as much defense as possible in the starting line up.

Last edited by Rivershow on Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
kobe_somebody_odom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:

This team is not tanking right now unless Kobe, Lin, and Nash get hurt within the first 20 games (sadly a possibility). But barring a catastrophe, this team will not be that bad.

Lin / Nash / Clarkson
Kobe / Young
Evan Turner(please) / Wes Johnson / Xavier
Randle or Boozer / Kelly
Hill / Davis / Sacre

This team does not suck at all. We won't win the championship but 45-50 games is very possible IMO.

After this season, Boozer, Lin, Nash, maybe Hill (30M) drop off and we try our luck in Free Agency again. We have to remember too, that the Rockets are a Dwight/Harden injury away from giving us a lottery pick with the loss of Parsons.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
bandiger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
usc/lakers wrote:

Thanks for the amazing basketball insight. I'm sure you've earned the respect of many with your insight.

What do you want me to say, he hasn't been healthy since his time as a Laker. You want to be an optimist but a 40+ year old PG is not gonna be a starter especially when he can't even play B2B games. Better to be a spot up bench player at this point.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject:

General Byron Scott has reported for duty

Let's roll out:
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 891, 892, 893  Next
Page 17 of 893
Jump to: