Cinderella Teams?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Cinderella Teams?

Lakers#1Team wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:
Trivia Question: who were the three centers of the Warriors center by committee? Was it three or two centers? I'm getting forgetful!

They had only 2 centers...

Starting was Clifford Ray who was 6'9", 230.
Back up was George Johnson who was 6'11", 205.

Their only power forwards were Derrick Dickey starting at 6'7" 218 and backup Bill Bridges at 6'6" 228 who was old and didn't play much.

Small ball certainly worked for them! For us it would be like starting Hill at C and Kelly as backup C.

So, remember the other centers in the league at the time: Kareem, Elmore Smith, Lanier, Unseld....anyone remember the others?

Lead by a superstar, a great rookie, centers by committee, and a bunch of role players.

Wasn't the coach Al Attles?

I believe they defeated the Washington Bullets, led by elvin Hayes, Unseld, and who else?
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject:

Don't you think if anyone knows how to bring a team together it would be Kobe? Assuming the current Lakers have heart. You know they no longer have a certain cowardly center.....
Brandon98
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject:

NBA, unfortunately, is the one league where there aren't any Cinderella's. Outside of one aberration in 1995, which still wasn't Cinderella, you either have to be a good enough team to earn a #1, #2, or #3 seed, or you can forget about winning the NBA title. IMO the playoff system leads to a very boring product overall and needs a serious revamp, but that's another story.

I know people say Dallas was Cinderella, but realistically, they were a real good ball club. They won 57 games (same amount as us) in a tough conference, and earned the #3 seed. I was certainly stunned as (bleep) when they beat us, but there's no way you can call a 57 win team a Cinderella.

Detroit was a stunner too, but they did win 54 games, a solid win total, and had an all-time great defense. They also acquired Rasheed at the deadline, so even then that record probably didn't accurately reflect how good they were.

I think the OP is wondering if there's been anything like a 41-win 8th seed winning the title. Unfortunately the answer is no, and probably never will be. I'd love to see it though.
EddieJonesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Speaking of upsetting 8th seeds- it's only happened twice in the history of the NBA in which the 8th seed trumped the first.

1994 - Denver Nuggets (42-20) take out the Seattle Supersonics. Anyone that was a basketball fan back then would remember the moment they won the series when Mutombo fell to the floor with the ball in his outstretched hands. Too bad they didn't make it past the second round.

1999 - Knicks (27-23) upset the Miami Heat, then swept Atlanta in the second round, before falling to the twin towers Spurs in the conference Finals.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: