Lakers waive Kendall Marshall
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
King beef wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Man, I wonder how many of you watched Marshall play more than a few games,

His passes were pretty amazing, but that's it. The cool part was, "Ooh. How did he see that? Good pass."

But there wasn't anything there that looked like it led to wins. No breaking down the defense. No defending. Horrible form on his shot tat requires a ton of space. No speed. No agility.

The assist numbers were the epitome of empty stats because it didn't lead to wins. It didn't even change the complexion of the game.

Lets be fair now. There wasnt much anyone could do last year that wouldve led to wins. The talent didnt exist on that team to win on the NBA level. So to say, "there wasnt much Marshall did that led to wins" is a fact, but it isnt the truth. Lets tell the truth here.

But having him in never felt like he made a difference.

When Farmar or Blake were in, you could notice a difference. Even if they didn't win, their presence had an effect on the team.

Agreed. Some of the passes from Marshall were amazing....like world class vision amazing.

He however never impacted anything.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject:

Smel Counts... good post. Marshall has proven he has a place in this league. However, he is not starting point guard material. He requires a system to be effective and lacks the versatility the modern day NBA requires. He is too one dimensional... a poor defender and isn't a scoring threat. He is good as a place holder off the bench who can help you to maintain the score, but not increase or create a lead. Really, its just that he is too old school of a point guard.

Also, plus/minus stats are deceptive because they do not take into account those a player plays with... so that there is a variable not accounted for in the form of who else is on the floor with you most of the time. For example, a really bad player could, in theory, have better plus/minus stats as compared to another player when he, unlike the other player, gets to play with all the starters while the other player only plays with scrubs off the bench. I'm not saying the stats you cite don't matter, just that without a little more in depth analysis regarding the lineups he played in, its hard to rely on them. They may very well mean what you think they do, but we can't know without more detailed analysis.

Last year was an ideal situation for Marshall in terms of coach and roster, which highlighted his gifts. However, that kind of play isn't sustainable for him on a normal NBA team. Unlike last season, on most teams, he wouldn't have the ball in his hands as much as MDA's system required, no less as much as our roster last year (without any real ball dominant players on it) allowed. This makes no mention of the pace we played at and an offense which allows its players to make offensive plays at the cost of defense.

Marshall simply is not athletic enough to be a scorer. And, also, his shot is relatively broken. What I mean is that he has learned to shoot a set shot, but his form and slow release prevent him from shooting off the dribble. This will always be a huge impediment in his game because, while defenders may have to respect him as a stand still shooter at the 3pt line, they don't respect his midrange game nor do they respect his ability to make jumpers off the dribble. Further, without a pick, he isn't quick enough to create any separation to either shoot or penetrate. This is why, essentially, his game is limited to pick/rolls and spot up shooting, which requires that either a) he is in the right system which sets him up or b) he plays off the bench against weaker players.

On most teams - teams who have other ball dominant guards or wings who are better than him with the ball in their hands - he would thus be relegated to nothing more than a spot up shooter. You actually saw that a lot in the summer league with Randle and Clarkson on the floor with him. What happens when he has to play with a Kobe or Parker all the time? That's why he will be much better coming off the bench for most teams, where, when those guys are resting, he can have the ball in his hands while facing less athletic defenders.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject:

A breakdown of what Marshall will do in Milwaukee with JKidd as coach can be read here

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2135197-can-kendall-marshall-find-permanent-nba-home-with-milwaukee-bucks
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:

His passes were pretty amazing, but that's it. The cool part was, "Ooh. How did he see that? Good pass."

But there wasn't anything there that looked like it led to wins. No breaking down the defense. No defending. Horrible form on his shot tat requires a ton of space. No speed. No agility.

The assist numbers were the epitome of empty stats because it didn't lead to wins. It didn't even change the complexion of the game.

honestly that how i felt but then we have to realize he wasn't exactly playing with players who could achieve many wins. Cant really help much when Nick Young is your best player on the floor. I think Marshall will find a place in the league, just not as a predominant star.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

honestly that how i felt but then we have to realize he wasn't exactly playing with players who could achieve many wins. Cant really help much when Nick Young is your best player on the floor. I think Marshall will find a place in the league, just not as a predominant star.

Though it didn't seem like there was a problem of players receiving passes and missing. Marshall wasn't really stolen out of assists. He had really good passes and players converted.

But everything else; the stuff that isn't as dependent on having quality teammates, seemed substandard.

Well, not everything. I will give him his shooting was oddly accurate for half the season even though his form was atrocious.
King beef
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
KobeButler wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

Though it didn't seem like there was a problem of players receiving passes and missing. Marshall wasn't really stolen out of assists. He had really good passes and players converted.

But everything else; the stuff that isn't as dependent on having quality teammates, seemed substandard.

Well, not everything. I will give him his shooting was oddly accurate for half the season even though his form was atrocious.

That is what a lot of us are saying. Marshall was really good before DAntoni started messing with rotations once Steve Nash returned. Also, remember Kent Bazemore was traded for Steve Blake and managament was auditionining players which messed up the rotation again.

L.A. management has seemed to turn into an organization which only cares about names. I know Kendall Marshall isnt a flashy name, but if he was, management wouldnt be so quick to throw him out with the garbage. If Marshall was a name, 8ppg/9apg would be encouraging at 21 years old and given the first real NBA playing time of your career.

His shooting wasnt "oddly accurate", his shooting was his shooting until the situation became more and more unstable. I dont understand the negative slant put on Kendall Marshall.

I will say that managements approach to "building a team" of late is ignorant and lazy. It appears that winning is not a part of our program if we dont have big superstar names on the roster. How shallow is that approach? Everyone, Pau obviously included, is expendable except Kobe because Kobe is marquee. I am not surprised that Kendall Marshall was dumped. I also would not be surprised if other young players with potential werent dumped for more tasty pie in the sky.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject:

King beef wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
KobeButler wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

That is what a lot of us are saying. Marshall was really good before DAntoni started messing with rotations once Steve Nash returned. Also, remember Kent Bazemore was traded for Steve Blake and managament was auditionining players which messed up the rotation again.

L.A. management has seemed to turn into an organization which only cares about names. I know Kendall Marshall isnt a flashy name, but if he was, management wouldnt be so quick to throw him out with the garbage. If Marshall was a name, 8ppg/9apg would be encouraging at 21 years old and given the first real NBA playing time of your career.

His shooting wasnt "oddly accurate", his shooting was his shooting until the situation became more and more unstable. I dont understand the negative slant put on Kendall Marshall.

I will say that managements approach to "building a team" of late is ignorant and lazy. It appears that winning is not a part of our program if we dont have big superstar names on the roster. How shallow is that approach? Everyone, Pau obviously included, is expendable except Kobe because Kobe is marquee. I am not surprised that Kendall Marshall was dumped. I also would not be surprised if other young players with potential werent dumped for more tasty pie in the sky.
That is life in the NBA
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject:

Bye Kendall Marshal and your ultra ugly jumper...
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject:

lalakersfan88 wrote:
Xavier Henry just signed a 1 year minimum deal with the Lakers.

So, who will get to wear #7 jersey next year? incumbent Henry or newcomer Lin?

I have a feeling Lin may ask for #7 and Henry will wear another number.

Linsanity > Henrymonium.
Flashback
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject:

It was mistake to let him walk. He was good player, lil bit missing in action due to lack of NBA exp. But later in the season he got decent minutes and a lot of exp. Sad we didnt find minimum to keep him, but lets hope i am wrong on this.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject:

I'm glad he's gone. His comments and actions during the Phx incident last year solidified in my mind that he was not Laker at heart.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Lakers 4 eva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
I'm glad he's gone. His comments and actions during the Phx incident last year solidified in my mind that he was not Laker at heart.

Yup really couldn't stand him after that. No one had to fight but at least hold some of the Suns players back so they don't gang up on your teammate.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject:

Nice player at 900k, but not shedding tears over him. Was a nice playmaker but he was often played with on the other end. Don't see any improvement in that area nor do I see him drastically improving his body/athleticism either.

Best of luck to him. He'll be a nice backup PG in Mil.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11
Jump to: