Andrew Bynum may skip 2014-15 season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doc JC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Too funny, dude could have undergone the therapy months ago.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject:

And yet just 2 years ago people would argue with me when I said this guy hadn't proven to be a top 20 player or a franchise caliber talent.

Unreal how he's fallen. I didn't believe Andrew's season in 2012 was legit. It was a lockout season. If it were a full season with the camp and 82 games, I'd bet money he'd break down before the ASG.

Really good talent, I do believe he had the offensive talent to be a top 10 player in the league but his body would never allow it. It became evident to me by 2009 that relying on him to do that would be insane.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
And yet just 2 years ago people would argue with me when I said this guy hadn't proven to be a top 20 player or a franchise caliber talent.

Unreal how he's fallen. I didn't believe Andrew's season in 2012 was legit. It was a lockout season. If it were a full season with the camp and 82 games, I'd bet money he'd break down before the ASG.

Really good talent, I do believe he had the offensive talent to be a top 10 player in the league but his body would never allow it. It became evident to me by 2009 that relying on him to do that would be insane.

wolf you were wrong. he had proven to be a top 20 layer and a franchise caliber talent.

he was the best back 2 basket center in the nba by far.

injuries do not take that fact away. when healthy and given the touches to produce on a regular basis like other #1's. he produced like a to 20 player should.

so let me ask you this question wolf. if he was never injured. and he progressed like he had been from year to year, after the allstar year. who do you think would be by far the best center in the nba?
who do you think would deserve max money if he became a FA this summer along with LBJ, melo.

i would go as far as to say this. if drew was healthy. i would pick him over melo( a superstar). i would pick him over kyrie, over love, over aldridge, shoot, would pick him over anyone not named lebron or a prime kobe.

but he was hurt. so it is what it is. dont act as if your assessment was correct on his abilities. it wasnt. he was that good when he was healthy. he had one healthy season as a #2 option player. and he became an allstar.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Doc JC wrote:
Too funny, dude could have undergone the therapy months ago.
it would not have mattered. this guy would've still needed to take a season off. his knees are beyond bad at this point. so any surgery he can get, therapy. he needs to slowly ramp up. and get his body in perfect shape before he even thinks about touching a nba court.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

wolf you were wrong. he had proven to be a top 20 layer and a franchise caliber talent.

injuries do not take that fact away. when healthy and given the touches to produce on a regular basis like other #1's. he produced like a to 20 player should.

so let me ask you this question wolf. if he was never injured. and he progressed like he had been from year to year, after the allstar year. who do you think would be by far the best center in the nba?
who do you think would deserve max money if he became a FA this summer along with LBJ, melo.

i would go as far as to say this. if drew was healthy. i would pick him over melo( a superstar). i would pick him over kyrie, over love, over aldridge, shoot, would pick him over anyone not named lebron or a prime kobe.

but he was hurt. so it is what it is. dont act as if your assessment was correct on his abilities. it wasnt. he was that good when he was healthy. he had one healthy season as a #2 option player. and he became an allstar.

It's weird in 2014 to say it...but if his knees were healthy, he would STILL be the best traditional center in the league. He would by no means be the best 7-footer now, but he'd still be #1 as far as low post play. I thought hibbert would have taken him over by now, but this recent season's play was very strange.

That's not so much a compliment to bynum, although he is a good player....but more of an indication of how the game has changed. It's also a dig on guys like Dwight who should be better than they are given their status.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject:

He had 55 games in a lockout shortened season. That's proven? Every other year he wasn't able to be a #1 or 2 guy.

This is my issue with those who still talk about Bynum as franchise talent. To be such, you have to prove it. You don't talk about ifs, ands or would have should have. He had his chances every year from his 3rd season onward to his last season with the Lakers.

I'm not arguing against his talent. I'm arguing that assigning someone credit for things they haven't really done is silly. This is why Rob Hennigan wanted to no part of AB. I would fight tirelessly with people in the Dwight Howard 2012 trade thread that Rob was right. But Laker/Bynum fans would have no of it. Rob is stupid. Bynum is an all-star. Proven.

Yeah, he's proved it all right. He's proved why ORL wanted no part of that trade. It took a 3-4 team trade to get it done. If I had the time, I'd post all the comments on bashing Rob for not wanting to trade for the franchise player that is Andrew Bynum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject:

I still remember people claiming Bynum wasn't injury prone and was just unlucky with Odom stepping under his foot and then Kobe falling into his knee the next season.

Ha.

postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I still remember people claiming Bynum wasn't injury prone and was just unlucky with Odom stepping under his foot and then Kobe falling into his knee the next season.

Ha.
he wasnt injury prone prior to the two knee injuries.

people over use the words injury prone.

sam bowie was injury prone because he was prone to injury before he ever laced up a shoe on a nba roster.

greg oden was injury prone before he laced em up in the nba. someone said that about the nick nack injuries he was getting in college that would not heal in a normal time frame(the wrist, etc).

greg oden just walking down the street and hurting something is injury prone, before he had any serious injuries to his knees caused by others bumping into him. him awkardly landing, etc.

curry from gstate. is injury prone with those ankles.

bynum was not some well known injury prone guy before he had his first injury, then his 2nd.
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:56 am    Post subject:

Definitely feel bad for the big man's luck with injuries. It was a great luxury having him as the 6th most important player on a title team.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Ha.

sam bowie was injury prone because he was prone to injury before he ever laced up a shoe on a nba roster.

greg oden was injury prone before he laced em up in the nba. someone said that about the nick nack injuries he was getting in college that would not heal in a normal time frame(the wrist, etc).

greg oden just walking down the street and hurting something is injury prone, before he had any serious injuries to his knees caused by others bumping into him. him awkardly landing, etc.

bynum was not some well known injury prone guy before he had his first injury, then his 2nd.

Didn't Bynum have issues with injuries during high school?
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject:

hasn't he skipped the last 2 seasons already?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject:

All time IF HEALTHY 1st team.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Ha.

Didn't Bynum have issues with injuries during high school?

Apparently those were a fluke just like the 15-20 injuries he has had in the NBA.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

PnP is right. If Drew had a body that could withstand the rigors of the NBA and IF his head was in the right place, he could have been a HOF player and in Shaq territory.

Those if's didn't happen obviously, but Drew Could have been a BEAST.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

PnP is right. If Drew had a body that could withstand the rigors of the NBA and IF his head was in the right place, he could have been a HOF player and in Shaq territory.

actually there's only ONE if. people keep talking about drews head. drews head/attitude did not stop him from playing on one leg to help us beat the celtics. drew's attitude didnt stop him from becoming an allstar after two major knee injuries/surgeries. because a guy doesnt react like you wish he would and smile like dwight. doesnt mean his head will get in the way of his abilities. the guy was getting better and better and better, then he would get injured. he would come back, and get better, and better and better, get injured, then come back. get better, and better.. You dont do that if you're a complete headcase. His "i dont care what you think" attitude actually helped him be more of a possible #1 then dwight. dwight's "i care what everyone thinks, so everything bother's me" is one reason why dwight isnt that #1 guy. you have to be able to block out the naysayers. doing so will also make you miss the boat on a few things as well. most people cant ride that thin line perfectly. the "there's a bank in ever city" was what he needed to think in order not to fold like Odom every time a trade rumor would pop up. which popped up all the time.

i mean we're talking about how he should've gotten the surgery earlier and using that as a reason to say "see thats why he never amounted to anything" but if thats the case shaq should've never amounted to anything either. we all know his famous line "ON Company Time."

yet shaq is a HOF. bynum would've been right behind the big diesel as far as laker bigs are concerned in this era of soft bigs. but as we all know. drew's knees would not cooperate after the two big incidents. prior to those incidents he would've been able to withstand the rigors of the nba. even if we give him the knee dislocation. and say he would've had one questionable knee. he would not have had 2 of them if it wasnt for our own player crashing into his knee hyper extending it.

i have played ball for a very long time. and i have never had that happen to me. but if it did. i would've been done years ago. so in that regard drew is "the big unlucky"
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject:

Question. what procedure can this guy get that can help his situation? I dont see a light at the end of the tunnel. So i need some insight on this one. has some foreign doctor found away to develop drew's cartilage in the lab, put it back in his knees and drew will be like new?
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Based on those qualifications, Kwame could have been KG on steroids, JR Smith and a slew of others could have been one of the best wings in the league and the NBA would have seen at least two Magic clones in Odom and Livingston.

Some folks just aren't cut out to be in the NBA. They get their checks for as long as they can and then they're gone.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Stop. Dudes career is over and he never materialized into what you were thinking. No more "if this happned" scenarios because they never happened.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Based on those qualifications, Kwame could have been KG on steroids, JR Smith and a slew of others could have been one of the best wings in the league and the NBA would have seen at least two Magic clones in Odom and Livingston.

Some folks just aren't cut out to be in the NBA. They get their checks for as long as they can and then they're gone.
but again, this is an inaccurate assessment of drew.

Oden is not/was not cut out to be a nba player. his body NEVER held up. drew's held up to the point where he actually got injured on the court, came back, and someone fell into his knee injuring him again. thats not an injury prone guy who cant withstand the rigors of the nba. to keep coming back like that. playing on one leg to win a ring is not the sign of a guy just trying to cash checks.

i dare someone to address that fact. why did drew play on one leg to help the lakers win a ring? he could've set out like fat eddie curry did for all those seasons. but drew didnt. drew played until his knees would no longer work. due to the injuries that happened to him. not one injury and done. but multiple injuries killed this guys career. if jordan would've had one bad injury, then someone crashes into his other knee. mike would not have been the same. and mike was only 6'6. bigs are always subject to bad wheels(legs, feet, hips). but it gets 10 times worse if people run into their knees. just saying. lol
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
i'll give him that.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

How's the rest of the roster?

C - Bynum
PF
SF
SG
PG
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject:

I have a lot of his 2007/08 gms where he was just starting to show his promise. If -that- version of Drew was the norm, he'd be a top tier center, without question. I don't like that they encouraged him to bulk up almost immediately after that season. The 2008 version, before injury, was spry and running the floor. He was big enough to work over the league, I just never got why he/they would want to add weight to a guy with knee problems.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:

Oden is not/was not cut out to be a nba player. his body NEVER held up. drew's held up to the point where he actually got injured on the court, came back, and someone fell into his knee injuring him again. thats not an injury prone guy who cant withstand the rigors of the nba. to keep coming back like that. playing on one leg to win a ring is not the sign of a guy just trying to cash checks.

i dare someone to address that fact. why did drew play on one leg to help the lakers win a ring?

Agreed. It's like when Reggie Miller claimed Sam Bowie was in the Oden/Kwame territory as he did recently. He should know better because Sam actually WAS a talented player who actually DID have a career, injury riddled as it might have been. Drew did too, up to a point, he just hasn't carried it through to this point and, admittedly, no one knows if he will. Who knows what's up with him. He may be like his buddy Lamar, who also fell off the map when he left LA.
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Part of being great is staying healthy. Especially for a big man. If you are mr. Glass you won't be great no matter the talent.

Other part is mental. Not sure what happened but he was falling apart in a bizzare way.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: