Official [FREE AGENCY] Talk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2706, 2707, 2708 ... 2902, 2903, 2904  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject:

av3773 wrote:
I would have like to seen the Lakers take a chance on a player like lance he had the potential to become plugged in as a starter for a while. That's done so I guess the Lakers are really just positioning themselves, number of expiring deals, young players they can take a look at, tradeable contracts...keeping different options open, hate to say it but going this route Lakers are better off being worse this year than last, unless Mitch can magically repeat a Kwame for Pau type trade. I do think the team will be pretty fun to watch, in particular watching the young guys development, and I am sure Kobe will have some vintage moments

Yeah, I wanted Lance too, but this offseason certainly wasn't a "massive failure". We drafted a player who looks to be the real deal, added a pick, and essentially punted our cap space forward. A massive failure would have been committing huge, long term money to a player that wouldn't make us a contender on his own, and wouldn't allow for enough future flexibility to become one.

Signing Carmelo Anthony to a max deal would have been a massive failure.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
LeBronte Jest wrote:

Really? It's called being a fan of the game.

I think "fan of the game" is a euphemism for "front-runner." It's why a lot of "Laker fans" rocked a #23 Bulls jerseys in the '90s.

Then again I'm crazy and the Lakers are my family.

You don't think people can just really like basketball?
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I guess the Lakers goals are different than yours. They aren't trying to be annual 1st or 2nd round playoff exits like you seem to want. They are interested in titles.

What do you call this season's team? A title winner? They are much more likely to be an early playoff exit team than win anything in the postseason. Ask vegas. They will tell you we most likely wont make the playoffs at all.
Can people stop pretending USC and Mega are crazy. Their point-of-view is debatable, but I've read enough of their 10s of thousand of posts to know their displeasure in the Lakers FO is sane and logical. Here are some other people who agree with them.

Quote:
NY POST:This team took a beating. They wanted James and Anthony. They got Nick Young, Jeremy Lin and Jordan Hill – while losing Gasol. Right about now, Kobe Bryant is willing to let John Calipari draft him for the Nets 18 years ago.

Quote:
NBA.com Bulls Sam Smith: It’s their worst ever free agency as they courted just about everyone and for the first time ever no one wanted to be in L.A. Kobe’s going to be out of control watching this with Jeremy Lin, Carlos Boozer, Julius Randle and Nick Young. Big money to keep Jordan Hill? Steve Nash hobbling. Though Pau Gasol taking about a third less than what the Lakers offered to go to Chicago is one of the biggest free agent upsets ever.

Quote:
Zach Lowe (Grantland):Los Angeles Lakers: The Lin trade was a nice predatory move, but it’s unclear why they decided to toss so much money at Hill and Young instead of going hard for a young talent like Thomas, Stephenson, Lowry, or any number of restricted free agents. The Lakers are just filling the roster with short-term contracts until they land a star, and they couldn’t get any big names to bite this time around. If they don’t land Love next summer, who is the next realistic target?The bright side: They have a shot at being bad enough to keep next year’s first-round draft pick, which they owe to Phoenix if it falls outside the top five.

I don't agree with everything USC and Megatron say. But I don't think their crazy idiots either. Worst LA Lakers season ever followed by an awful free agency. Pretending everything worked out great since the passing of Dr. Buss is disingenuous. We've been a mess in alot of ways.

Who said they were crazy?
Wilt's Stilt
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject:

This post season was not a failure. The front office did some nice things by getting a draft pick and drafting two players who look to be able to help in the future.

We had to get younger, we had to get cheaper and we have.

Would Pau Gasol have brought us a championship? Would Anthony have brought us a championship? Would Lance have brought us a championship. I highly doubt it on all three counts. LeBron was just a pipe dream.

Let's right the ship, build some assets and retool over a 3-5 year period.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject:

This offseason was a failure in terms of trying to compete and giving Kobe a chance at the playoffs but it was a success in keeping the top 5 pick from the Suns. The FO made all the right moves to keep that pick and the signing of Boozer was just the icing on the cake.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I guess the Lakers goals are different than yours. They aren't trying to be annual 1st or 2nd round playoff exits like you seem to want. They are interested in titles.

What do you call this season's team? A title winner? They are much more likely to be an early playoff exit team than win anything in the postseason. Ask vegas. They will tell you we most likely wont make the playoffs at all.
Can people stop pretending USC and Mega are crazy. Their point-of-view is debatable, but I've read enough of their 10s of thousand of posts to know their displeasure in the Lakers FO is sane and logical. Here are some other people who agree with them.

Quote:
NY POST:This team took a beating. They wanted James and Anthony. They got Nick Young, Jeremy Lin and Jordan Hill – while losing Gasol. Right about now, Kobe Bryant is willing to let John Calipari draft him for the Nets 18 years ago.

Quote:
NBA.com Bulls Sam Smith: It’s their worst ever free agency as they courted just about everyone and for the first time ever no one wanted to be in L.A. Kobe’s going to be out of control watching this with Jeremy Lin, Carlos Boozer, Julius Randle and Nick Young. Big money to keep Jordan Hill? Steve Nash hobbling. Though Pau Gasol taking about a third less than what the Lakers offered to go to Chicago is one of the biggest free agent upsets ever.

Quote:
Zach Lowe (Grantland):Los Angeles Lakers: The Lin trade was a nice predatory move, but it’s unclear why they decided to toss so much money at Hill and Young instead of going hard for a young talent like Thomas, Stephenson, Lowry, or any number of restricted free agents. The Lakers are just filling the roster with short-term contracts until they land a star, and they couldn’t get any big names to bite this time around. If they don’t land Love next summer, who is the next realistic target?The bright side: They have a shot at being bad enough to keep next year’s first-round draft pick, which they owe to Phoenix if it falls outside the top five.

I don't agree with everything USC and Megatron say. But I don't think their crazy idiots either. Worst LA Lakers season ever followed by an awful free agency. Pretending everything worked out great since the passing of Dr. Buss is disingenuous. We've been a mess in alot of ways.

Doesn't seem prudent to go back and name names. Maybe nobody explicitly stated they were crazy. But an inability to formulate rational thought was implied several times.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
This offseason was a failure in terms of trying to compete and giving Kobe a chance at the playoffs but it was a success in keeping the top 5 pick from the Suns. The FO made all the right moves to keep that pick and the signing of Boozer was just the icing on the cake.

I don't understand the talk of keeping the Top 5 pick. We weren't even one of the 5 worst teams in the NBA last year, with Kobe missing 76 games. But we're going to be this year, where he's healthy entering training camp? You think the guy's good enough to compete with the right pieces around him, but don't think he's good enough to keep us out of a bottom 5 record with Lin, Randle, Boozer coming in, and our only major loss being Gasol?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject:

"Tis truly madness when all the talk is about tanking to keep a top 5 pick instead of fielding a competitive team.

" In the famous words of Admiral Farragut; "Damn the torpedoes; full speed ahead!"
rockyp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

VLF with his sly one liners and the rest of the Jimbo apologists.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject:

So we're apologists if we don't think the FO sucks? Interesting. Can't it be that we just disagree?
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

GoldenThroat wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

I don't understand the talk of keeping the Top 5 pick. We weren't even one of the 5 worst teams in the NBA last year, with Kobe missing 76 games. But we're going to be this year, where he's healthy entering training camp? You think the guy's good enough to compete with the right pieces around him, but don't think he's good enough to keep us out of a bottom 5 record with Lin, Randle, Boozer coming in, and our only major loss being Gasol?

I think boozer will be a better fit then Gasol at this point.

I also agree that

Lin/Randle/Boozer is better than Gasol. People are overreacting like usual.

Last edited by kfkilla on Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

BTW, thank you Optimus Primes aka Mods for saving us.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

a healthy Kobe by himself prevents us from getting a top 5 pick. You add guys that are going to be motivated like Boozer and Lin who are no pushovers + a solid young rookie who I think, if used correctly could compete for rookie of the year and I doubt we get anywhere close to that top 5 pick. I think this team makes the playoffs as the 6th seed.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

I think boozer will be a better fit then Gasol at this point.

I also agree that

Lin/Randle/Boozer is better than Gasol. People are overreacting like usual. The tanktards (I love that saying) are just folks who think they are smarter than they really are.

I would recommend that you stop saying that.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

a healthy Kobe by himself prevents us from getting a top 5 pick. You add guys that are going to be motivated like Boozer and Lin who are no pushovers + a solid young rookie who I think, if used correctly could compete for rookie of the year and I doubt we get anywhere close to that top 5 pick. I think this team makes the playoffs as the 6th seed.

I love it. 1st rd playoff series with the hated clippers.
Would be a great script.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

I love it. 1st rd playoff series with the hated clippers.
Would be a great script.

only great script if we win...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
So we're apologists if we don't think the FO sucks? Interesting. Can't it be that we just disagree?

Agreed. And if people make cogent and sensible critical comments about the FO too can we agree they're not haters too?

I think both sides have a point here.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject:

LeBronte Jest wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

I am a Lin fan, sure.

I'm a Lakers fan first.

I'm also a Klay Thompson fan. And a Durant fan. And even a Farmar fan. Vujacic and Arenas are on my fan list too. So what?

How could you be a fan of players that don't play for your team?

I root for Durant when he's playing the Clippers - enemy of your enemy, etc. - but I can never truly "root" for anyone who isn't wearing purple and gold (and now white/black thanks to the NBA's new jersey fetish).

Really? It's called being a fan of the game.

For me, I am a fan of players but only in the sense of their style of play or demeanor or character alone and usually with the thought that I'd like for them to be Lakers one day.

Outside of that, I can have respect for players but I'm just such a homer.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
epak wrote:

Agreed. And if people make cogent and sensible critical comments about the FO too can we agree they're not haters too?

Definitely this. People have become a little too comfortable calling each other names around here. Might be time for some house cleaning.
BigJosh951
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
epak wrote:

Definitely this. People have become a little too comfortable calling each other names around here. Might be time for some house cleaning.

Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject:

We don't even have a coach so it's impossible to know how good or bad we'll be. Also, people dismissing losing Pau are out of their minds. He was our best player last year.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
We don't even have a coach so it's impossible to know how good or bad we'll be. Also, people dismissing losing Pau are out of their minds. He was our best player last year.

Maybe, but on a team where he was clearly the best player on paper, we were 5 Points per 100 possessions worse with him on the court than off of it.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
av3773 wrote:
I would have like to seen the Lakers take a chance on a player like lance he had the potential to become plugged in as a starter for a while. That's done so I guess the Lakers are really just positioning themselves, number of expiring deals, young players they can take a look at, tradeable contracts...keeping different options open, hate to say it but going this route Lakers are better off being worse this year than last, unless Mitch can magically repeat a Kwame for Pau type trade. I do think the team will be pretty fun to watch, in particular watching the young guys development, and I am sure Kobe will have some vintage moments

Yeah, I wanted Lance too, but this offseason certainly wasn't a "massive failure". We drafted a player who looks to be the real deal, added a pick, and essentially punted our cap space forward. A massive failure would have been committing huge, long term money to a player that wouldn't make us a contender on his own, and wouldn't allow for enough future flexibility to become one.

Signing Carmelo Anthony to a max deal would have been a massive failure.
Couldn't agree more.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject:

@GT

Didn't realize that was looked down upon. My bad. Will edit original post.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:
@GT

Didn't realize that was looked down upon. My bad. Will edit original post.

No worries, man. Just try to avoid name-calling. Thank you.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2706, 2707, 2708 ... 2902, 2903, 2904  Next
Page 2707 of 2904
Jump to: