Julius Randle's chances for Rookie of the Year
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fo11ower91
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
I think Randle will win as long as he gets around 25-30 minutes a game.

So your saying Randle won't win rookie of the year.

This is a contract year for boozer. He's gonna get his minutes and he'll deserve them. I expect him to be our 2nd leading scorer by seasons end (barring linsanity). Randle will be stuck as a backup. Tough to win under the circumstances.

If your think Randle will beat out Hill for a starting spot, I disagree. Hill is trade bait or a breakout player. Either way, we're gonna start the one power forward were paying 9 mill.

What matters the most is your production on the court. If Randle is producing more than boozer whether defensively or offensively on the court than I can easily see Randle getting his minutes. Contract year for boozer doesn't mean anything if Randle is outplaying him.
You're underrating Boozer. He is far superior than rookie Randle on both ends of the court.

It is possible for Randle to outplay Boozer.
No, there's not. Have you seen Boozer play? He's polished and great on offense in the post and in the mid range area. Defensively, I'd love to see Randle out play him but Boozer's solid there too. Little to no chance that Randle out plays him enough to get more than 15-20 mpg.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

This is a contract year for boozer. He's gonna get his minutes and he'll deserve them. I expect him to be our 2nd leading scorer by seasons end (barring linsanity). Randle will be stuck as a backup. Tough to win under the circumstances.

If your think Randle will beat out Hill for a starting spot, I disagree. Hill is trade bait or a breakout player. Either way, we're gonna start the one power forward were paying 9 mill.

What matters the most is your production on the court. If Randle is producing more than boozer whether defensively or offensively on the court than I can easily see Randle getting his minutes. Contract year for boozer doesn't mean anything if Randle is outplaying him.
You're underrating Boozer. He is far superior than rookie Randle on both ends of the court.

No, there's not. Have you seen Boozer play? He's polished and great on offense in the post and in the mid range area. Defensively, I'd love to see Randle out play him but Boozer's solid there too. Little to no chance that Randle out plays him enough to get more than 15-20 mpg.

Could you tell my the lottery numbers too since you can see in the future and tell what their season productions will be. I disagree with everything you just said.

Last edited by Rivershow on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Beast, could easily win Rookie of the Year...probably won't play enough minutes to put up enough but he will ball for the Lakers, yes indeed.
Fo11ower91
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

You know these things called opinions? Well I disagree with you that's it.
I love your confidence in Randle, but I don't think it's an opinion that Boozer will take most of the PF minutes.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

I love your confidence in Randle, but I don't think it's an opinion that Boozer will take most of the PF minutes.

Boozer last season averaged 13.7 points. 13.7, 13.7. Do I really have to keep repeating the number for you? What was Randle's summerleague scoring? I can bet it was pretty close to higher than that. So basing it off that I believe he can outperform boozer offensively. And you said boozer was vastly superior to Randle defensively and I can't help but laugh at that considering thibs the bulls coach didn't even want to play him in 4th quarters.
Fo11ower91
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

Boozer last season averaged 13.7 points. 13.7, 13.7. Do I really have to keep repeating the number for you? What was Randle's summerleague scoring? I can bet it was pretty close to higher than that. So basing it off that I believe he can outperform boozer offensively. And you said boozer was vastly superior to Randle defensively and I can't help but laugh at that considering thibs the bulls coach didn't even want to play him in 4th quarters.
That was summer league. He can score on scrubs but I'd like to see him do that against the PFs that start on teams. I doubt he'd average more than Boozer if the played the same minutes.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Before all of the FA signings I had Randle in the top 2 with Parker. Now, after the Boozer signing there's no way he wins it. He won't be in my top 5 because Boozer will most likely start and get about 25 MPG. This is one of the many reasons I didn't like the Boozer signing, he's going to take away minutes from Randle and Kelly.

Every rookie will hit the rookie wall and I think Randle should be given an opportunity like Parker will to play through and learn from his mistakes. When Randle does make mistakes he's just going to get benched for Boozer, even though he's a more talented player.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject:

I'd say he has a great chance but it depends if he can get the minutes. Other teams may highlight their rookies more if they covered a position need.

It'll be interesting to see...
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

That was summer league. He can score on scrubs but I'd like to see him do that against the PFs that start on teams. I doubt he'd average more than Boozer if the played the same minutes.

Well we'll see but it's hardly a guarantee that boozer will outplay Randle like you are trying to make it be.

Last edited by Rivershow on Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fo11ower91
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

We we'll see but it's hardly a guarantee that boozer will outplay Randle like you are trying to make it be.
I love you're passion, but Randle is a rookie. He's also a big man, and they take more time to get accustomed in the league. He will need a year or two before he will outplay a 10+ year vet.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject:

It is Parker's award to lose, he should be able to go all Seattle era Durant and just shoot however many times necessary to score 20+ while getting blown out.
jayd
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

so you believe Glen Rice Jr. is likely to average 25/8 in the NBA then? gotcha
EmoDias
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject:

jayd wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

Randle was a lottery pick from a deep draft while Boozer was a 2nd rounder. Randle is on the way up while Boozer is slowly decimating. You give your stud rookie lots of minutes to develop him no matter what. If Nash starts then you start Randle becuase you don't want slowtime 2.0 again. We don't want to start playing catchup all the time. If Lin starts then maybe start Boozer but let Randle have just as minutes or even more and hopefully during crunch time.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject:

jayd wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

When I said what Randle averaged in the summer league. I said the potential is there. I didn't say it's a guarantee. Every player is different. And every situation they go into once the nba regular season starts is different too. But if you're honestly trying to tell me that it's impossible for Randle to have something like 14-16/9 or something as a rookie. I would tell you that you are really underestimating our Rookie

Last edited by Rivershow on Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject:

I think Randle was the pick of the draft. Honestly him and Wiggins will be the best players of this draft when its all said and done. ROY is very possible IMO.
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject:

Black Salt wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
No chance because Lakers and Kobe thinks they can barely squeeze to the 8th seed in the playoffs and give Boozer the start and a bulk of the mins at PF, rather than developing their younger talent earlier on.

You are on crack if you think Randle isnt starting. And if the head coach is on crack, than that coach needs to be thrown in the fire. If you are gonna play the game of rebuilding, you better play you damn lottery pick.

Do you think anybody will take you seriously if you start an argument by saying other people are on crack?

Keeping Kobe happy is still high on the team's priority list (as indicated by the Boozer acquisition) and how many coaches are going to stand up to him when his goal is to make the playoffs? Coaches are judged most often by wins, not how much playing time they give rookies. Randle is going to have to outplay Boozer on defense to steal time from him, it's not hard.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject:

I love Julius.
But I dont think he'll get the touches he needs to be ROY.
Same thing for Wiggins. He won't get the needed touches in a team with Kyrie and Lebron.

On the other hand, the Bucks will be Jabari's team. That dude is a beast, and I'm sure he'll win the ROY if there's no injuries.
haoafu
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject:

I like his rebounding and potential, but seems like he's not as efficient as needed to be in college and summer league. Given enough minutes though, he'd still have a chance to be a ROY candidate.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Lakers are one of the few teams that actually develop and groom their prospects. They restrict their minutes and allow them to develop without the cities lofty expectations stunting their growth..

I don't know that we have any general philosophy like that which is different than other teams. We simply haven't had many genuine prospects over the past couple of decades because we've drafted so low.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject:

haoafu wrote:
I like his rebounding and potential, but seems like he's not as efficient as needed to be in college and summer league. Given enough minutes though, he'd still have a chance to be a ROY candidate.

Hard to tell from Summer League.
The players around him aren't great in SL.
Their offensive sets were... well, not as organized as it should be in the real squad. Plus he was tired. First real 5 on 5 since his Final 4 run.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject:

Randle will instantly get recognition because of his relentless and skilled style of play. Where he might run into problems is this is the NBA and an 82 game schedule can takes it toll on rookies, especially rookies that play as hard as Randle.
jlinfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
I love Julius.
But I dont think he'll get the touches he needs to be ROY.
Same thing for Wiggins. He won't get the needed touches in a team with Kyrie and Lebron.

On the other hand, the Bucks will be Jabari's team. That dude is a beast, and I'm sure he'll win the ROY if there's no injuries.

This makes sense to me. Hopefully were both wrong.
Amin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject:

I'm not sure why some believe Randle has 'no chance'.

PG: Lin (30) / Nash (10) / Clarkson (8)
SG: Bryant (30) / Young (13) / Henry (5)
SF: Johnson (10) / Young (20) / Randle (8) / Henry (7)
PF: Boozer (20) / Randle (20) / Kelly (8)
C: Hill (28) / Davis (10) / Boozer (10)

I'm sure things may look different, but based on that set up, Randle can get in about 28 minutes a game, which may give him a crack at ROY. It's improbable, but I'd probably say it isn't impossible. With 28-30 mpg, I can see Randle getting 12-14 ppg and 7-9 boards.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: