Top 2015 prospect (Emmanuel Mudiay) to skip college, play overseas (Pg. 2: Signs $1.2M deal to play in China next year)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SmithWick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Good for him. No real point in going to college if he doesn't intend to finish school. It would just make him play for free and risk injury.

Noooo! Now my alma matter can't have good players and my team's gonna suck!
How am I going to brag to my friends and coworkers about how my school is better than theirs!?
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:
Hmmm, well its not even about just playing college ball, its about getting an education.
What education? Top prospects don't even finish college here.

Quote:
Going to play ball overseas to provide for your family is all good, but you are an injury away from being a "has been" or "wanna be". These kids need education, basketball is all good but if you get injured what's your fall back plan?

Even if you get injured, you'll likely have earned more than enough to pay for 4 yrs of college education+ more.

And you can just as well get injured playing for a D-1 team here.

At least playing abroad, he gets paid and doesn't have to maintain the facade of being a student.

So we are actually advocating these young men not getting an education at all? Not everyone can be Kobe. Kobe didnt got to college but he is more educated than most of the NBA players who did. My thing is these young kids are skipping school to get the big money, but where is the fall back plan? Is being a great BB player the only thing they want to be known for? No education?

I'll be honest, my freshman year of college, I didn't learn (bleep). I didn't know what my major was going to be, so I took a bunch of random classes that satisfied GE's. Some examples: "Political Protest in music", "Earth Catastrophies", "Overview of the Universe", and "Artificial Intelligence in Music". I BS'd my way through all of those before eventually taking an intro to economics class and figuring out what my major was going to be. It didn't really provide me a good knowledge base, and school was just kind of something I did between playing video games and going to parties.

I'd imagine these elite athlete's 1st year's of college are even more ridiculous than mine, academically speaking. Most of the guys who are top high school recruits know damn well they're only staying 1 year, and thus they also know damn well they don't have to worry about satisfying GE's, or filling major requirements. So they take the easiest classes they possibly can, and scrape by with just enough to pass and stay eligible.

And if basketball doesn't work out once they leave the NBA, they should most likely have more than enough money to pay for 4 years of college as long as they are drafted or sign an NBA contract as a UDFA, or even play overseas for a bit. The one and done rule is just silly IMO, and I think Mudiay made a good decision in his case, especially if his family needed the money.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject:

Go get your money, young fella. Hope this starts a trend.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source--emmanuel-mudiay-agrees-to--1-2-million-deal-to-play-in-china-150156352.html
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:
Hmmm, well its not even about just playing college ball, its about getting an education.
What education? Top prospects don't even finish college here.

Quote:
Going to play ball overseas to provide for your family is all good, but you are an injury away from being a "has been" or "wanna be". These kids need education, basketball is all good but if you get injured what's your fall back plan?

Even if you get injured, you'll likely have earned more than enough to pay for 4 yrs of college education+ more.

And you can just as well get injured playing for a D-1 team here.

At least playing abroad, he gets paid and doesn't have to maintain the facade of being a student.

The top college players do have insurance, I think I read that Austin got $6 mil due to his medical condition. But I am also sure he will be heavily insured playing in China.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
These kids need education, basketball is all good but if you get injured what's your fall back plan?

$1.2 million dollars.

Got to imagine more will do this if they can get that kind of money guaranteed.
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:
These kids need education, basketball is all good but if you get injured what's your fall back plan?

$1.2 million dollars.

Precisely, if you get injured in college what is the fall back plan vs 1.2 mil, something you won't see for another 10 years after college without basketball assuming a good student, gets a decent job right out of college.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:

$1.2 million dollars.

Precisely, if you get injured in college what is the fall back plan vs 1.2 mil, something you won't see for another 10 years after college without basketball assuming a good student, gets a decent job right out of college.

I know huh?

Oh no! I have $1.2 million but I didn't take my 1 yr of college. Now I'm injured. What do I do?

How am I going to get an education now that I only have $1.2 million?
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:

$1.2 million dollars.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: