Rockets spurn Jeremy Lin in pitch to Melo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
The discussion isn't what I (or we as fans) care about is it - they aren't our numbers. What I am pointing out is that numbers are not be the big deal some people are making them out to be when it is common for players to simply choose to change their number.

Anyway, your analogy between a GOAT like Kobe having a number retired after a HOF career versus using a role player's number in a recruiting photo is a lousy one. They are entirely different things.

If you really believe jersey numbers aren't a big deal, then it shouldn't matter to you if a star player's jersey is retired or not. After all, it's common for players to simply choose to change their number anyway, right? Why does the jersey number suddenly become insignificant when we're talking about a non-star player?

Or maybe your point is, (and this is one I could buy), that Jeremy Lin isn't good enough of a player for his jersey number to even matter? And he should know that and thus his feeling of being disrespected aren't warranted? That's a position I could understand. Like, if we were courting Melo and pictured him in say, Marshon Brooks' number, for instance. It's almost like Marshon Brooks should know he is too insignificant to care about that.

But when you come out with the position simply that "jersey numbers are not a big deal" then you should also be indifferent to the tradition of retiring things that are not a big deal, like jersey numbers.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
The discussion isn't what I (or we as fans) care about is it - they aren't our numbers. What I am pointing out is that numbers are not be the big deal some people are making them out to be when it is common for players to simply choose to change their number.

Anyway, your analogy between a GOAT like Kobe having a number retired after a HOF career versus using a role player's number in a recruiting photo is a lousy one. They are entirely different things.

If you really believe jersey numbers aren't a big deal, then it shouldn't matter to you if a star player's jersey is retired or not. After all, it's common for players to simply choose to change their number anyway, right? Why does the jersey number suddenly become insignificant when we're talking about a non-star player?

Or maybe your point is, (and this is one I could buy), that Jeremy Lin isn't good enough of a player for his jersey number to even matter? And he should know that and thus his feeling of being disrespected aren't warranted? That's a position I could understand. Like, if we were courting Melo and pictured him in say, Marshon Brooks' number, for instance. It's almost like Marshon Brooks should know he is too insignificant to care about that.

But when you come out with the position simply that "jersey numbers are not a big deal" then you should also be indifferent to the tradition of retiring things that are not a big deal, like jersey numbers.

The problem is the guy is an overpaid backup pg with rabid fans who think he's a bonafide all nba type player. The Knicks had it, the Rockets had it, both teams had owners who pushed for it, but the rest of the team was pretty much victims to rabid groupies. If he ever joined the Lakers, even Kobe's fanbase would struggle to contain the hate that would be aimed at him (and this is probably a major reason why the lakers would never do such a thing).

If you wanted to point to ways Lin has been disrespected by Morey, when he said that Lin was signed because of the owner whilst he wanted to re-sign Dragic is probably a bigger slap to the face than this one.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject:

LOL

some think numbers on a jersey are meaningless, yet spend time to argue about it...

fact is, what Houston did was classless... people are just making excuses because it is Jeremy Lin.

Houston could just have omitted the number, or chosen a different one... there are many ways to kill a cat, Houston chose to drag Lin into the mud. classless.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
LOL

some think numbers on a jersey are meaningless, yet spend time to argue about it...

fact is, what Houston did was classless... people are just making excuses because it is Jeremy Lin.

Houston could just have omitted the number, or chosen a different one... there are many ways to kill a cat, Houston chose to drag Lin into the mud. classless.

What? You don't argue for pages about things you consider to be insignificant first world problems?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Drifts wrote:
LOL

What? You don't argue for pages about things you consider to be insignificant first world problems?

Apparently you haven't spent much time around LG. People here can have a 8-page thread arguing about belly lint
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject:

I just really hate that (bleep) team. Organization has changed a ton since the Francis mobley era.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject:

So I guess the Sixers will just buy out Lin's contract once he gets traded. They only want the draft picks they get from the Rockets.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Houston is classless.

At the very least they could have just given him the heads up before they did it.

Giving Lin a heads up that we are trying to trade you for Carmleo prior to having Carmelo come down for recruitment is not a heads up?

No. A heads up that they were going to be putting up pictures of Carmelo wearing his jersey.

You know what they did was messed up. You're just trying to rationalize it now.

It's one thing to know that you might be traded. It's quite another to be treated like a doormat.

Pretty much sums up the whole discussion. I'll give dreamshake the benefit of the doubt that he's mixing two different discussions together in order to justify the Rockets' classless action over jerseygate. If he continues to feel the Rockets treated Lin right in this whole scenario, well then I guess there's really no point in trying to reason with the guy over why it was such a jerk move by Houston because he's drank way too much of the koolaid.

1) I'm not trying to justify anything. I'm expressing my opinion on why I think something was right or wrong.

2) If I'm looking at the actions the Rockets took, I don't think them having some wearing the number I wear is treating me like a doormat. Maybe my current teammates trying to recruit him. Maybe everyone in the organization pitching to him and everyone else. But again, I've been made aware that the team is trying to upgrade and I must go for it to happen. So oh well. I could care less about the guy replacing me being shown in my number. I can't be here if he is. But I do think it's silly to call someone up and say "hey, that guy we are trying to bring in and trade you so we can make it happen....we are going to have pics of him in your jersey...just a heads up...is that cool?".

But at the time of the pitch he's still a member of the team and should be given the respect as any other member of the organization. But I guess it's okay since it's Lin and most of the Houston media outlets and organization seem to throw the guy under the bus whenever they can. And you're not looking at the situation objectively if you think the Rockets did good by Lin. Serves them right that Melo apparently doesn't want to sign there.
lalakeshow88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
If he ever joined the Lakers, even Kobe's fanbase would struggle to contain the hate that would be aimed at him (and this is probably a major reason why the lakers would never do such a thing).

Now we shall see.
mingomatic
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject:

I just have to bump this thread. Just have to....
hagakure
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

The problem is the guy is an overpaid backup pg with rabid fans who think he's a bonafide all nba type player. The Knicks had it, the Rockets had it, both teams had owners who pushed for it, but the rest of the team was pretty much victims to rabid groupies. If he ever joined the Lakers, even Kobe's fanbase would struggle to contain the hate that would be aimed at him (and this is probably a major reason why the lakers would never do such a thing).

If you wanted to point to ways Lin has been disrespected by Morey, when he said that Lin was signed because of the owner whilst he wanted to re-sign Dragic is probably a bigger slap to the face than this one.

Damn, talk about eating your word and not knowing what you're talking about. Notice that NY, Houston made the playoff when Lin was playing valuable minutes.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject:

lalakeshow88 wrote:
Telleris wrote:
If he ever joined the Lakers, even Kobe's fanbase would struggle to contain the hate that would be aimed at him (and this is probably a major reason why the lakers would never do such a thing).

Now we shall see.

Going to be one of the more fun, not so basketball related basketball stories.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject:

hagakure wrote:
Telleris wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Damn, talk about eating your word and not knowing what you're talking about. Notice that NY, Houston made the playoff when Lin was playing valuable minutes.

How does that crow meat taste?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: