CEO: Rivers to quit Clippers if Sterling stays
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: CEO: Rivers to quit Clippers if Sterling stays

slavavov wrote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/clippers-ceo-shelly-sterling-testify-072557352--nba.html

Quote:
The interim CEO of the Los Angeles Clippers testified Tuesday that coach Doc Rivers told him he will quit if Donald Sterling remains the owner of the team.

CEO Richard Parsons made the statement at a trial to determine whether Sterling's wife Shelly Sterling can sell the team for $2 billion to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.

The NBA has tried to force out Donald Sterling since soon after racist statements emerged on recordings in April.

''Doc is troubled by this maybe moreso than anybody else,'' Parsons said on the witness stand about Rivers, who is black. ''If Mr. Sterling continues as owner, he does not want to continue as coach.''

I don't like Doc Rivers and his Celtic-like antics, but if this is true, props to him for making a stand for equal justice.

Mods, feel free to merge this with the main Sterling thread if appropriate.

Now I know why we don't have a HC yet.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject:

golakersgo121 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Socks wrote:
^^^ I can buy that as one point of view, sure. On the other hand, I can also buy Doc and the team saying F this, we've worked hard all season and we have a shot to win a title, not for Sterling but for us. F him and let's do this as a team. I won't pretend to know all their motivations, but I don't think anything is definitive there.

I said this at the time... If they just want to be remembered as basketball players, then play the playoff game they worked hard for. If they want to stand up for something and transcend the sport, they should have just walked off the court. No one would remember whether they won or lost a random playoff game...but they would remember when a team walked off the court and refused to play. Probably remember that more than who won the championship.

Doc and the players failed at transcending the sport and standing up for something a little larger. He said it was harder to go out and play the game, then it was to protest...I didn't buy that then. Seemed like the easy way out. If he walks now, good for him. I'll believe it when I see it. The Clippers actions were hallow then, have been quiet all summer and will be without substance again if they take court under some dumb protest like they did in the playoffs while Sterling is still running things....and fans line his pockets by continuing to show up.

Yep. Words "I will, probably, perhaps, if" are worthless garbage. There is no way for you, Doc, to save the face.

You knew what you're getting yourself into before this summer. Even before this spring. You worked for the guy before. And you had no idea? 90% of Angelinos don't even work for him and never met the guy. But they all know what piece of crap he is. And whether or not he is racist too. But you, CP3 and Blake didn't know, right? Poor babies, we feel for you. We really do...

To the extent of going speechless when you decided that turning freaking jerseys inside out is a Protest enough for you. Wow.

I am not even black but I felt ashamed. For inability of young athletes to make a stand for something they feel right. I'd fully understand "I heard it before yet still signed up to play for this guy. My bad and I am ready to deal with the consequences. But there is no way I work for him any longer".

Right there. Right then.

Now? - find another sucker to believe you, Doc...

Problem with that line of reasoning is that even if one were to assume that the players were willing to go without an NBA paycheck, how would they know if any employers or clients should they start their own business weren't racists? Perhaps DS's actions and words made it to the point that they couldn't ignore, but who DO they go work for? This is America and the vast majority of African Americans believe the vast majority of white Americans believe that black Americans aren't as fully American as they are.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: