Parsons agrees to offer sheet from Mavs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Rockets should keep Parsons. Even at that price, a 3 year deal makes it very movable. Parsons is a pretty good team player and someone who basically was Dwight's main friend in the recruiting process. Houston would be stupid to let him walk. They have a nice trio with Dwight, Harden and Chandler. What they badly need is some defensive players who can knock down some 3's around that trio. And a head coach who knows how to actually win games in the playoffs.

They're waiting on Bosh. I think they have 3 days to match.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
gng930 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
gng930 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Larry Coon said that in order to keep Parsons and sign Bosh to the max, they have to dump not only Lin and Asik, but also Jones and Motjeunas.

I'm going to do the unthinkable and question Larry Coon. Dwight, Harden, and a maxed out Bosh exceeds 55 million. Even if they manage to renounce/dump everyone else on the roster (including Beverly) and after cap holds, that still leaves less than $5 million for Parsons.

the Rockets have Parsons bird rights.so they can use up all her cap space on BosH anyone else and then resign Parsons 4 any amount,

I thought Larry was referring to a new situation in which it didn't look like Lebron (and therefore Bosh) would be making a decision until after the deadline for the Rockets to match. But yeah, I believe that's why Bosh got a slightly-less-than-MAX offer from the Rockets.

I'm not sure what you're asking, but here's the situation: The Rockets can offer whatever cap space they have to Bosh. At the moment, Parsons cap hold is about $2 million I think; the minute they match the Mavs offer, his full $15 million salary counts against cap. In other words, if the Rockets match Parsons offer before Bosh signs, they would no longer have any cap space. So their choices are: sign Bosh before they match Parsons, or don't match Parsons.

We're on the same page. I thought this was a new quote from Larry referring to an ability to sign Bosh to a MAX salary after matching for Parsons. I didn't realize it was an old quote from before the QO was even made.

In other words I thought:
* before the QO was signed, the Rockets could offer Bosh the MAX by dumping Lin and Asik
* now that the QO is signed, Rockets will have to also dump Jones and Monty if they want to match Parsons and then sign Bosh...obviously the math didn't compute in that false pretext
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
gng930 wrote:

Why do you keep referring to the ability to match Parson's inflated offer sheet as if it's some sort of victory for the Rockets?

Because they have the option to decide if they want to pay Parsons that amount and keep him, as opposed to not having that chance next summer (when he would have gotten a big offer). Not that complex.

Apparently the big picture is too complex for some...

And I'm pretty sure you can offer MAX deals to your own unrestricted FAs as well.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
gng930 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
gng930 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Larry Coon said that in order to keep Parsons and sign Bosh to the max, they have to dump not only Lin and Asik, but also Jones and Motjeunas.

I'm going to do the unthinkable and question Larry Coon. Dwight, Harden, and a maxed out Bosh exceeds 55 million. Even if they manage to renounce/dump everyone else on the roster (including Beverly) and after cap holds, that still leaves less than $5 million for Parsons.

the Rockets have Parsons bird rights.so they can use up all her cap space on BosH anyone else and then resign Parsons 4 any amount,

I thought Larry was referring to a new situation in which it didn't look like Lebron (and therefore Bosh) would be making a decision until after the deadline for the Rockets to match. But yeah, I believe that's why Bosh got a slightly-less-than-MAX offer from the Rockets.

I'm not sure what you're asking, but here's the situation: The Rockets can offer whatever cap space they have to Bosh. At the moment, Parsons cap hold is about $2 million I think; the minute they match the Mavs offer, his full $15 million salary counts against cap. In other words, if the Rockets match Parsons offer before Bosh signs, they would no longer have any cap space. So their choices are: sign Bosh before they match Parsons, or don't match Parsons.

We're on the same page. I thought this was a new quote from Larry referring to an ability to sign Bosh to a MAX salary after matching for Parsons. I didn't realize it was an old quote from before the QO was even made.

In other words I thought:
* before the QO was signed, the Rockets could offer Bosh the MAX by dumping Lin and Asik
* now that the QO is signed, Rockets will have to also dump Jones and Monty if they want to match Parsons and then sign Bosh...obviously the math didn't compute in that false pretext

Before the QO, they could have dropped the cap hold by 1m, they were going to lose Motiejunas either way. It's Jones they might lose, but that;s up to Bosh on what his price point is (since Jones would be his backup, the ability to dump his regular season minutes and hence prolong his career might be worth 1.1m a year to him).
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject:

Cuban for some reason signs these bloated contracts but they actually produce for him.
So long as Cuban helps f over Dwight and the Rockets , all is good,.
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:59 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Rockets should keep Parsons. Even at that price, a 3 year deal makes it very movable. Parsons is a pretty good team player and someone who basically was Dwight's main friend in the recruiting process. Houston would be stupid to let him walk. They have a nice trio with Dwight, Harden and Chandler. What they badly need is some defensive players who can knock down some 3's around that trio. And a head coach who knows how to actually win games in the playoffs.

Movable maybe, but not so much.

Cuban gave him a 15% trade kicker and a player option after the second season; so if Parsons doesn't like the trade, he can tell the other team that he will opt out and leave.

Basically the only year Parsons wouldn't be a threat to leave immediately is the next, where he could be traded only from Jan, 15 to the deadline. That's only one month.

Add the fact that he is a good player , but he is now massively overpaid, and you have the complete picture.

Movable? Yes. Easily movable ? Not at all.

Last edited by Luke on Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
BallerJohnDoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
gng930 wrote:

Why do you keep referring to the ability to match Parson's inflated offer sheet as if it's some sort of victory for the Rockets?

Because they have the option to decide if they want to pay Parsons that amount and keep him, as opposed to not having that chance next summer (when he would have gotten a big offer). Not that complex.

And I'm pretty sure you can offer MAX deals to your own unrestricted FAs as well.

Yes, they can. But there's no guarantee that he would sign with the Rockets next summer... At least in this case they can simply match the offer and keep him.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject:

Now the Asik trade has been complicated by lower than expected salary cap. NO doesn't have the room to absorb his contract unless they find a trade partner to dump one of their players.

NBC
chubby_1_kenobi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject:

Tick Tock
Tick Tock
Tick Tock
Tick Tock
Tick Tock
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

They way they structured it makes it pretty hard to move. He has a player option after year 2 and a 15% trade kicker.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
gng930 wrote:

Sure, but you lose control and they could choose to leave, ala Howard or Boozer.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Now the Asik trade has been complicated by lower than expected salary cap. NO doesn't have the room to absorb his contract unless they find a trade partner to dump one of their players.

NBC

It's not anymore complicated. NO was going to have to clear some cap regardless. Now they need to clear around $100K more. The expectation has always been that more salary would have to be cleared form them to receive Asik.
chubby_1_kenobi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject:

Tick Tock
Tick Tock
Tick Tock
Tick Tock
Tick Tock

To match or not to match, that is the question.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject:

Quote:
“It won’t affect us at all,” Howard said Friday of Parsons signing a three-year, $45-million deal with the Dallas Mavericks.

I miss this guy less and less.

Read more at http://www.basketballinsiders.com/howard-parsons-departure-wont-affect-us/#DRIwlJJTEFm7FVpG.99
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Quote:
“It won’t affect us at all,” Howard said Friday of Parsons signing a three-year, $45-million deal with the Dallas Mavericks.

Read more at http://www.basketballinsiders.com/howard-parsons-departure-wont-affect-us/#DRIwlJJTEFm7FVpG.99

What a team player...LOL
This guy whines when he doesn't have help and when theres guys who can take pressure off him he whines too.
This was the guy threatened by Kobe playing another couple of years on the Lakers that he left to go to the Rockets.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Wow, and it was only recently that I thought they could have both Bosh and Parsons. It could be a while before Dwight gets out of the first round in this conference.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Wow, and it was only recently that I thought they could have both Bosh and Parsons. It could be a while before Dwight gets out of the first round in this conference.

He should've went back east.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Quote:

The real comedy in his statement was that he actually talks about him and Harden as if they are two of the top 5 guys in the league. At his best, I honestly believe Dwight is a top 5 guy, but James may be the best 2 guards, but wouldn't break my top 10 even.

I mean, you could easily move Durant to 2 guard, and if you were loading up a team, Durant/James/Paul all would be there.

Dwight's biggest mistake is he thinks he and Harden will be like Shaq/Kobe. Shaq/Kobe were not just 2 of the top 5 guys in the league, they will be two of the greatest to ever play the game. They were so dominant at one point that they could easily be the only time I've seen the best player and 2nd best player in the NBA play on the same team at the same time. It was unreal.

Dwight/Harden need 10 times the help. Losing Parsons won't hurt that much, because they got Ariza. But they need a PG, and a PF. Dwight is nuts if he thinks just him and Harden playing great will get them a ring. Maybe a 2nd round appearance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Quote:

The real comedy in his statement was that he actually talks about him and Harden as if they are two of the top 5 guys in the league. At his best, I honestly believe Dwight is a top 5 guy, but James may be the best 2 guards, but wouldn't break my top 10 even.

I mean, you could easily move Durant to 2 guard, and if you were loading up a team, Durant/James/Paul all would be there.

Dwight's biggest mistake is he thinks he and Harden will be like Shaq/Kobe. Shaq/Kobe were not just 2 of the top 5 guys in the league, they will be two of the greatest to ever play the game. They were so dominant at one point that they could easily be the only time I've seen the best player and 2nd best player in the NBA play on the same team at the same time. It was unreal.

Dwight/Harden need 10 times the help. Losing Parsons won't hurt that much, because they got Ariza. But they need a PG, and a PF. Dwight is nuts if he thinks just him and Harden playing great will get them a ring. Maybe a 2nd round appearance.

Even more hilarious are the Rockets fans. There's a thread on this very topic over at CF and they truly think it's sign of his "leadership". Howard is giving a100% media/PC speak but the legions at clutchfans actually think after 10 years in he league, this one line is a sign that he's somehow now truly a leader. It's so adolescent of a response by that herd it's comical. The high-fiving and giddiness was so pathetic it was sad. I mean it's one thing to be supportive but entirely another to be delusional.

I agree with Ariza. He's a better fit. When you have 2 guys that want/need the ball...your "third" best player (good grief that Parsons is EVER a 3rd best on a championship squad) needs to be able to contribute in a multitude of other different ways. Parsons was yet another guy that needed the ball to do his "thing". Ariza also wouldn't have lost Lilliard on that buzzer beater to boot.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject:

Can anyone else recall an off-season where a team lost two of their core players to division rivals? Southwest is the toughest division NBA.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Quote:

Even more hilarious are the Rockets fans. There's a thread on this very topic over at CF and they truly think it's sign of his "leadership". Howard is giving a100% media/PC speak but the legions at clutchfans actually think after 10 years in he league, this one line is a sign that he's somehow now truly a leader. It's so adolescent of a response by that herd it's comical. The high-fiving and giddiness was so pathetic it was sad. I mean it's one thing to be supportive but entirely another to be delusional.

I agree with Ariza. He's a better fit. When you have 2 guys that want/need the ball...your "third" best player (good grief that Parsons is EVER a 3rd best on a championship squad) needs to be able to contribute in a multitude of other different ways. Parsons was yet another guy that needed the ball to do his "thing". Ariza also wouldn't have lost Lilliard on that buzzer beater to boot.

General Dwight thought pattern.
If hate player, then all statements = cowardly, then pat self on back.

Parsons problem was he wanted the ball, but his skill set is almost exclusively off ball, but he wanted the ball to do his thing (do you really want someone that can't score on 1 in 3 pick and rolls, misses dwight with 2 of every 3 alley oops and is absolutely atrocious at isos trying to do his thing with the ball?).
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject:

I don't have any issue with what Howard said. He said the loss won't impact the team, propped the other guys on the team (mainly Ariza who is taking Parson's place) and said it's on him and Harden to carry the load. What's wrong with that statement?

Now what Harden said, just calling everyone else pieces, that I do have an issue with. Don't marginalize your teammates.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
I don't have any issue with what Howard said. He said the loss won't impact the team, propped the other guys on the team (mainly Ariza who is taking Parson's place) and said it's on him and Harden to carry the load. What's wrong with that statement?

Now what Harden said, just calling everyone else pieces, that I do have an issue with. Don't marginalize your teammates.

There's nothing wrong with Dwight's statement. It's a typical canned response. What was funny was how CF (not all but a bunch of guys posting there) was acting as if this is indicative of a new Dwight and what great leadership it displayed. They were practically giddy. It's as delusional as some of the posts in the Lin thread we got going here. At least our mods have the presence of mind to set up a quarantine.

As far as Harden? Wow, I had to look up what he said after you brought it up. Dayamn...inside voice man.

“Dwight (Howard) and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets,” said Harden. “The rest of the guys are role players or pieces that complete our team. We’ve lost some pieces and added some pieces. I think we’ll be fine next season.”
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

There's nothing wrong with Dwight's statement. It's a typical canned response. What was funny was how CF (not all but a bunch of guys posting there) was acting as if this is indicative of a new Dwight and what great leadership it displayed. They were practically giddy. It's as delusional as some of the posts in the Lin thread we got going here. At least our mods have the presence of mind to set up a quarantine.

As far as Harden? Wow, I had to look up what he said after you brought it up. Dayamn...inside voice man.

“Dwight (Howard) and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets,” said Harden. “The rest of the guys are role players or pieces that complete our team. We’ve lost some pieces and added some pieces. I think we’ll be fine next season.”

Wow. Shocking to read. I'm sure James' teammates will be thrilled to hear what he thinks of them.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Wow. Shocking to read. I'm sure James' teammates will be thrilled to hear what he thinks of them.

Well, so far Ariza and Daniels don't seem to think it's a big deal, or ex teammate Lin. I still don't think he should have made those comments though.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: