Andrew Bynum may skip 2014-15 season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject:

It always makes me sad to think back to that 07-08 Bynum. He was amazing all around. It looked like he was getting ready to dominate the league offensively, defensively and rebounding.

Injuries obviously put a stop to that, but even if he stayed healthy his attitude was gonna be a major problem. I think Phil really was able to keep him in check while he was here. Once he left all bets were off.

KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
And yet just 2 years ago people would argue with me when I said this guy hadn't proven to be a top 20 player or a franchise caliber talent.

Unreal how he's fallen. I didn't believe Andrew's season in 2012 was legit. It was a lockout season. If it were a full season with the camp and 82 games, I'd bet money he'd break down before the ASG.

Really good talent, I do believe he had the offensive talent to be a top 10 player in the league but his body would never allow it. It became evident to me by 2009 that relying on him to do that would be insane.

wolf you were wrong. he had proven to be a top 20 layer and a franchise caliber talent.

he was the best back 2 basket center in the nba by far.

injuries do not take that fact away. when healthy and given the touches to produce on a regular basis like other #1's. he produced like a to 20 player should.

so let me ask you this question wolf. if he was never injured. and he progressed like he had been from year to year, after the allstar year. who do you think would be by far the best center in the nba?
who do you think would deserve max money if he became a FA this summer along with LBJ, melo.

i would go as far as to say this. if drew was healthy. i would pick him over melo( a superstar). i would pick him over kyrie, over love, over aldridge, shoot, would pick him over anyone not named lebron or a prime kobe.

but he was hurt. so it is what it is. dont act as if your assessment was correct on his abilities. it wasnt. he was that good when he was healthy. he had one healthy season as a #2 option player. and he became an allstar.

PnP is right. If Drew had a body that could withstand the rigors of the NBA and IF his head was in the right place, he could have been a HOF player and in Shaq territory.

Those if's didn't happen obviously, but Drew Could have been a BEAST.
actually there's only ONE if. people keep talking about drews head. drews head/attitude did not stop him from playing on one leg to help us beat the celtics. drew's attitude didnt stop him from becoming an allstar after two major knee injuries/surgeries. because a guy doesnt react like you wish he would and smile like dwight. doesnt mean his head will get in the way of his abilities. the guy was getting better and better and better, then he would get injured. he would come back, and get better, and better and better, get injured, then come back. get better, and better.. You dont do that if you're a complete headcase. His "i dont care what you think" attitude actually helped him be more of a possible #1 then dwight. dwight's "i care what everyone thinks, so everything bother's me" is one reason why dwight isnt that #1 guy. you have to be able to block out the naysayers. doing so will also make you miss the boat on a few things as well. most people cant ride that thin line perfectly. the "there's a bank in ever city" was what he needed to think in order not to fold like Odom every time a trade rumor would pop up. which popped up all the time.

i mean we're talking about how he should've gotten the surgery earlier and using that as a reason to say "see thats why he never amounted to anything" but if thats the case shaq should've never amounted to anything either. we all know his famous line "ON Company Time."

yet shaq is a HOF. bynum would've been right behind the big diesel as far as laker bigs are concerned in this era of soft bigs. but as we all know. drew's knees would not cooperate after the two big incidents. prior to those incidents he would've been able to withstand the rigors of the nba. even if we give him the knee dislocation. and say he would've had one questionable knee. he would not have had 2 of them if it wasnt for our own player crashing into his knee hyper extending it.

i have played ball for a very long time. and i have never had that happen to me. but if it did. i would've been done years ago. so in that regard drew is "the big unlucky"

I'm talking about in 2011 when he started that series against Denver with 10 blocks and we dominated and afterwards, he spoke of dominating by being Bill Russel reincarnate. Then that Drew never showed up again during the playoffs. I'm also talking about the ATM comment and a few others.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
And yet just 2 years ago people would argue with me when I said this guy hadn't proven to be a top 20 player or a franchise caliber talent.

Unreal how he's fallen. I didn't believe Andrew's season in 2012 was legit. It was a lockout season. If it were a full season with the camp and 82 games, I'd bet money he'd break down before the ASG.

Really good talent, I do believe he had the offensive talent to be a top 10 player in the league but his body would never allow it. It became evident to me by 2009 that relying on him to do that would be insane.

wolf you were wrong. he had proven to be a top 20 layer and a franchise caliber talent.

injuries do not take that fact away. when healthy and given the touches to produce on a regular basis like other #1's. he produced like a to 20 player should.

so let me ask you this question wolf. if he was never injured. and he progressed like he had been from year to year, after the allstar year. who do you think would be by far the best center in the nba?
who do you think would deserve max money if he became a FA this summer along with LBJ, melo.

i would go as far as to say this. if drew was healthy. i would pick him over melo( a superstar). i would pick him over kyrie, over love, over aldridge, shoot, would pick him over anyone not named lebron or a prime kobe.

but he was hurt. so it is what it is. dont act as if your assessment was correct on his abilities. it wasnt. he was that good when he was healthy. he had one healthy season as a #2 option player. and he became an allstar.

PnP is right. If Drew had a body that could withstand the rigors of the NBA and IF his head was in the right place, he could have been a HOF player and in Shaq territory.

Based on those qualifications, Kwame could have been KG on steroids, JR Smith and a slew of others could have been one of the best wings in the league and the NBA would have seen at least two Magic clones in Odom and Livingston.

Some folks just aren't cut out to be in the NBA. They get their checks for as long as they can and then they're gone.

I don't think the situations are analogous. Drew played at an all star level for a considerable time. Kwame had about 3 good games in his entire career.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

actually there's only ONE if. people keep talking about drews head. drews head/attitude did not stop him from playing on one leg to help us beat the celtics. drew's attitude didnt stop him from becoming an allstar after two major knee injuries/surgeries. because a guy doesnt react like you wish he would and smile like dwight. doesnt mean his head will get in the way of his abilities. the guy was getting better and better and better, then he would get injured. he would come back, and get better, and better and better, get injured, then come back. get better, and better.. You dont do that if you're a complete headcase. His "i dont care what you think" attitude actually helped him be more of a possible #1 then dwight. dwight's "i care what everyone thinks, so everything bother's me" is one reason why dwight isnt that #1 guy. you have to be able to block out the naysayers. doing so will also make you miss the boat on a few things as well. most people cant ride that thin line perfectly. the "there's a bank in ever city" was what he needed to think in order not to fold like Odom every time a trade rumor would pop up. which popped up all the time.

i mean we're talking about how he should've gotten the surgery earlier and using that as a reason to say "see thats why he never amounted to anything" but if thats the case shaq should've never amounted to anything either. we all know his famous line "ON Company Time."

yet shaq is a HOF. bynum would've been right behind the big diesel as far as laker bigs are concerned in this era of soft bigs. but as we all know. drew's knees would not cooperate after the two big incidents. prior to those incidents he would've been able to withstand the rigors of the nba. even if we give him the knee dislocation. and say he would've had one questionable knee. he would not have had 2 of them if it wasnt for our own player crashing into his knee hyper extending it.

i have played ball for a very long time. and i have never had that happen to me. but if it did. i would've been done years ago. so in that regard drew is "the big unlucky"

Even when healthy, Bynum was nowhere near Shaq. I have always thought the comparisons were very disrespectful. Bynum was rarely healthy and he was a roleplayer center much more often than he was an allstar one.

If the Bynum first fans had their way, the Lakers would have never traded for Dwight and Bynum would be in the middle of a 22-25 million dollar per year extension right now. Luckily the front office didn't believe these theories that his injury history was a fluke and was all behind him after the play where Kobe crashed into his knee.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Even when healthy, Bynum was nowhere near Shaq. I have always thought the comparisons were very disrespectful. Bynum was rarely healthy and he was a roleplayer center much more often than he was an allstar one.

If the Bynum first fans had their way, the Lakers would have never traded for Dwight and Bynum would be in the middle of a 22-25 million dollar per year extension right now. Luckily the front office didn't believe these theories that his injury history was a fluke and was all behind him after the play where Kobe crashed into his knee.
who said he was near shaq? thats not what was said then or now. he would have been the next laker great big behind shaq. because he was becoming DOMINANT. as great as gasol is/was in his prime. gasol was never dominant. drew was becoming dominant. anytime teams start to triple team you from time to time. its a dominant force on the court.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

who said he was near shaq? thats not what was said then or now. he would have been the next laker great big behind shaq. because he was becoming DOMINANT. as great as gasol is/was in his prime. gasol was never dominant. drew was becoming dominant. anytime teams start to triple team you from time to time. its a dominant force on the court.

I rank Pau way ahead of him too. Bynum was usually single covered. They trapped him sometimes but I think that was just because he hadnt learned to pass out of a double team.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
It always makes me sad to think back to that 07-08 Bynum. He was amazing all around. It looked like he was getting ready to dominate the league offensively, defensively and rebounding.

Injuries obviously put a stop to that, but even if he stayed healthy his attitude was gonna be a major problem. I think Phil really was able to keep him in check while he was here. Once he left all bets were off.

When he was on his first streak of excellent play, Lamar's foot was under him. It was like clockwork with Drew. You can't blame him for landing on a guy's foot or getting fallen on. That's bball shh and it could happen to any player at any time. Mutombo and Pryzbilla both had the same basic injury in close order with Drew and iirc both of them split their kneecaps completely. Drew would've come back earlier if they had found out a rough spot under his patella was abrading his tissue causing the recurrent swelling we kept reading about. One theory at the time was that the pressure on long flights was causing it. I got a documentary on Bowie that I'm about to put up and one of his injuries was caused by a teammate (Kersey) falling onto his leg in a crowd. Looked pretty similar to the Kobe-Drew incident, but Bowie was on the floor and Kersey landed with his full body weight on his leg.

PS: Kersey as a Laker also fell into Horry's leg in 97, giving him a tendon injury and in 91 Jerome did a full 180 when he ran into a crowded lane to score a tip-in. When he was coming down, the back of his leg clipped Magic's shoulder as Magic moved in for a rebound. Jerome spun all the way around and landed on the crown of his head, Chick went LOOK OUT!!!! One of the worst falls I've ever seen in bball, the kind that has paralyzed people who dove into shallow water and hit their heads, but Jerome got right up. That's why they called Jerome "Wild Thang". He was all over the place.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:

orrrr.. it was just a really effective way to stop the offense, force a turnover, or just kill time and force a bad shot.

I mean if sacre reacted to multiple coverage like bynum did and teams picked up on and exploited it.. would sacre then be dominating?

dominating is throwing skyhooks over double/triple coverage consistently (KAJ)... dominating is backing down a double team and dunking over them (Shaq)... dominating is NOT how AB dealt with double teams.

lol

but can't disagree that bynum without injury was about to become really great simply from lack of competition. I mean didn't they eliminate the C position from allstar ballots the year after drew won? that had to be a first wasn't it?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Bynum in rhythm for 20-22 games a year was dominant in 1 on 1 situations. Not double teaming or focus of D. This was with Kobe out there, and Pau as well drawing D. I fully concur in those stretches he was awesome. That was his peak.

But you don't judge a player on 20 games a year. If thats the case, Lamar Odom was the best PF in the league, because he had 20 games during the year that were superstar level.

With Bynum, when he would come back from injuries or long lay offs, it often looked like he forgot how to play basketball. It was lots of ups and downs. He only had one half year where he was good from start to finish, the year he made the AS team. And he hasn't played any consistent ball since that year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:
Same old Bynum, if he was really serious ant playing he should have done that (bleep) right after the pacers let him go, so he could at least have some chance to play sometime this season. SMH! That boy never cared much for the game.
stop saying this please. he helped us win a ring on one leg. he had multiple serious surgeries and kept coming back. how many big men do that? i dont know of any actually.

his knees are shot. no fault of his own when people are crashing into them.

Agree.

I remember a few years back Drew admitted he probably could of played harder during a regular season game and he got blasted for his candor. Drew always played with his heart and soul even on bad knees and he still gets blasted by the public, I did not want to say fans because fans don't criticize players that play hard.

Maybe Drew's attempt at getting treatment is so he can live a normal life, in any event I wish Drew nothing but the best.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:
Same old Bynum, if he was really serious ant playing he should have done that (bleep) right after the pacers let him go, so he could at least have some chance to play sometime this season. SMH! That boy never cared much for the game.
stop saying this please. he helped us win a ring on one leg. he had multiple serious surgeries and kept coming back. how many big men do that? i dont know of any actually.

his knees are shot. no fault of his own when people are crashing into them.

Agree.

I remember a few years back Drew admitted he probably could of played harder during a regular season game and he got blasted for his candor. Drew always played with his heart and soul even on bad knees and he still gets blasted by the public, I did not want to say fans because fans don't criticize players that play hard.

Maybe Drew's attempt at getting treatment is so he can live a normal life, in any event I wish Drew nothing but the best.

Amazing
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: