NBA open to idea of expanding All Star Break to a week

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: NBA open to idea of expanding All Star Break to a week

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/14/nba-open-to-idea-of-expanding-all-star-break-to-a-week/

Quote:
NBA open to idea of expanding All-Star break to a week
The All-Star weekend is a busy one — and not just for Damian Lillard (who will be in five events during the weekend).

For the players selected to the team it is a whirlwind of media events, community events, practices and, oh yea, a basketball game. Plus a few parties. Then a few more parties. You think it’s a weekend off but it’s more like that vacation your wife schedules out where she wants to see and do everything in Italy/New York/San Francisco/wherever that you are constantly running around and when it’s over you don’t feel like you rested at all.

It’s not much of a rest for the players (there is a reason Tim Duncan didn’t want to be on the team this year, the coaches granted him his wish and didn’t vote him on even though he was deserving).

Some players have brought up the idea of expanding the All-Star break to a week, including players’ union president Chris Paul, and the.

“I definitely think it’s something that should happen,” Paul told NBA.com while attending a pep rally and press conference at a New Orleans grade school, where he was inducted into the Laureus Sport for Good Foundation ambassador program.

Paul said he spoke with Silver about the possibility of a longer All-Star break.

“Obviously All-Star Weekend is all about the fans and showcasing our game to the entire world, but it would be nice to get a little break,” the Clippers guard said. “Not saying the all stars are unhappy or ungrateful for being all stars, but to enjoy your family for a couple days would be nice.”

“I said, ‘We’d be happy to look into it,’ ” Silver said. “The notion is that, in addition to the All-Star Game and the events itself, there would be a break built into the schedule. Maybe we could resume play on Thursday night, later in the week, to insure that the All-Stars got time off as well.”

Silver is more open to discussing new ideas than David Stern was, at least that’s the feeling around the league.

He’s also a negotiator. If he gives the players this what is he going to want in return?

It’s not a bad idea, a little longer breather in the NBA schedule. Just something to watch as the new commissioner and the new union president start to talk about issues of concern to both sides
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject:

Expand what is basically a mediocre weekend into an entire week??? Why?
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject:

It doesn't necessarily mean expanding the actual All Star events, but rather having something that resembles a bye week in the NFL. Sounds like a good idea to let players rest up before the 2nd half of the season.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Seems like it would benefit the participants of All-Star weekend the most since they're expending energy (not necessarily on defense as much as in all the clubs, of course) in higher volumes.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject:

An NBA bye week would be a good idea...

One way they could slightly switch this out is keep the all star weekend, and NBA teams playing is have half the NBA take a bye week the week before... the other half the week after.. .maybe even do it by conference. So for example it's a week focused on viewing the games of the other conference.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject:

what they should do is make the regular season shorter.
usa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
An NBA bye week would be a good idea...

One way they could slightly switch this out is keep the all star weekend, and NBA teams playing is have half the NBA take a bye week the week before... the other half the week after.. .maybe even do it by conference. So for example it's a week focused on viewing the games of the other conference.

I like this idea.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

i love All Star weekend, i always look forward to it.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject:

The_Dynasty24 wrote:
It doesn't necessarily mean expanding the actual All Star events, but rather having something that resembles a bye week in the NFL. Sounds like a good idea to let players rest up before the 2nd half of the season.

I really do like this idea. A week for banged up players to recover
Romano338
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject:

They have a lot of ideas, but I'm'still waiting for the good ones.
Come on, come back to the classic ASWE. Classic games, classic contests.
Just pick the right players and try to convince them to play a bit more than they do for years (ok, that's hard to convince)
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject:

Not sure how to feel about this one unlike the NFL I prefer the NBA All Star stuff but not really sure it generates enough interest for this to be warranted.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11267091/nba-considering-longer-all-star-break-2014-15-schedule

Quote:
NBA considers longer All-Star break

The NBA is considering extending the All-Star break into a seven-day hiatus next season, according to a report by the South Florida Sun Sentinel.

Citing multiple sources, the Sun Sentinel reported that the league currently is using the week-long All-Star break as its "model" while filling out the 2014-15 season.

Several of the NBA's biggest stars, including LeBron James, have lobbied for a longer All-Star break, citing their busy schedules during the league's All-Star weekend.
The NBA could, however, revert back to its traditional four-day break at any point before officially releasing the schedule next month, according to the report.

If the league decides to implement the seven-day break, each team would consequently have at least one more back-to-back set of games, the Sun Sentinel reported.

Several of the NBA's biggest stars, including LeBron James, have lobbied the league to extend the break.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver revealed in February that he met personally with James during All-Star Weekend in New Orleans to discuss a longer break.

"One of the issues LeBron raised is a break during All-Star [Weekend]," Silver said during a radio interview with ESPN. "[For] a guy like LeBron, All-Star Weekend is not a break for him in any way. He's going around the clock with a combination of things the league is asking him to do, personal commitments, and I think it makes sense if we can work in the schedule a few days so the All-Stars can get a break as well."

Silver added at the time that a schedule change of that magnitude would have to be negotiated with the players' association.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject:

More time to spend with baby mommas.

!...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject:

So basically they are giving players longer time to rest versus expanding the weekend. This is a good idea for superstar players since they almost never get any breaks in-season versus the role players that get a longer weekend to rest up. If you have vets like Kobe who goes to the all star weekend every year, its good that he gets a couple more days of rest for the 2nd half of the season. I am fine with this.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject:

3-on-3 half court tourney...

..ya right..
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject:

I like the idea.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject:

Doesn't the All-star game already feel like it's a week?
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject:

This needs to happen. Right now, the players that need the most rest get the least amount of rest.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject:

oh God please no! I would eliminate it all together, forget expanding it!
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject:

The_Dynasty24 wrote:

this is a good idea actually... It would actually be better to have less games, maybe 70 games with a shorter playoff. But we all know this will NEVER happen because its all about $$$$$$$$$
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject:

I think this is a great idea. I think we'll see better basketball as the result of this.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

i love All Star weekend, i always look forward to it.

This. I skip the all-star game, but everything else I watch and love.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject:

This will be a season changer for sure.
Many February 30 win teams will slow down, and others struggling may get injured players back, change coach, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject:

carlosLisboa wrote:
This will be a season changer for sure.
Many February 30 win teams will slow down, and others struggling may get injured players back, change coach, etc.

Good call. I think there is currently about 4 days between the game and the trade deadline. If you're extending the all-star weekend break to 7 days why not keep the current schedule and make the deadline Tuesday for sure. That would allow teams to have their star represent their team Sunday, get dealt and still have 3 days to get acclimated to their new team when they start back up. I'm not sure which would draw more complaints, making the season run longer (my guess) or starting the season earlier though.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject:

They should do it. Players get time off. Recover. Better play.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: