Can someone explain to me why lawrence tanter is considered the best?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject:

So this is what our offseason has come down to huh? Complaining about the PA guy?
Go to a damn Clippers game if you want some stupid hype man....This is the Lakers we are talking about. Its supposed to be a classy organization with quality people.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:

I wasn't saying anything about what they should or shouldn't do. I'm just stating my opinion that the traditions in place contribute to the place not being as loud and lively as rival arenas. It's very dark and very quiet. The pa announcer is monotone. The music is dated.

I hear ya, I just think you're dead wrong, with all due respect. Brighter lights, a screaming PA guy, modern (terrible) music and cheaper tickets won't make Laker crowds any louder. The Clippers have a lot of that and they suffer from the same blaze LA crowds.

The trouble is just that we live in LA and people are generally pretty laid back. The Kings have probably the rowdiest fans of our pro teams and even they aren't known around the NHL as a particularly loud bunch.

Quote:

Don't you think other teams insult the taco stuff the same way we insult the Pistons PA guy? When your own team does it, it's great, when the enemy does it, it's stupid. It's the natural hypocrisy and bias that comes with being a fan of a team.

No because many teams (if not all) have similar promotions. And I don't really mean to insult the guy, he's just doing his job - I just think he's incredibly unprofessional and more of a distraction than anything else.
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject:

if you ask me the crowd at lakers games arent that rowdy enough for LT to be the kind of PA other teams have, i mean if were winning, we arent going crazy, if were losing all the fans do is talk among themselves to see why the lakers are losing, Or the fans will leave and boo.

Personally i like LT, he has a good style of calling the game, does a good job, he has a calm demeanor. I liked David Courtney too (RIP) he did Kings and clippers well and ive seen him call both.

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Why would u hate on that guy? For what?

Jesus
gblews
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:

and yes, ideally the team should pump up the crowd, but the whole point of a PA guy isn't to just call out names of people who score, it's to get people jacked when they are sitting on their hands.
This sounds like a contradiction.

The idea of the PA announcer's job being to pu up the crowd is a relatively recent development. The Lakers have never used their PA guy to pump up the crowd, so the assertion that a PA announcer's job is to pump the crowd is certainly not a fact. The PA guy's purpose is dependent upon which NBA teams you're talking about.

Tanter used to be a DJ prior to getting the Lakers''s gig. I used to call him up when he worked late nights at KJLA back in the '70's and talk music. Nice guy and very knowledgeable about music.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
It's actually the perfect voice for the atmosphere at Staples; relaxed and calm.

Exactly, this isn't Detroit or that circus over in Cleveland where they play music the entire (bleep) game.

Not sure why this is a plus. We don't have the loudest building. We can get loud if we're winning, making a come back, etc. For other teams, the crowd is really the 6th man who can pump up the team. It's the opposite with us, it seems to me, our team has to pump up the "Hollywood" crowd.
KOBE WAN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Season ticket holder here. His voice just gets me pumped up for games. It’s so resounding and deep but smooth. I guess it is classy too. Would never go for a hype man.
KB8SD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone explain to me why lawrence tanter is considered the best?

Krispy Kreme wrote:
I've never been a big fan of the guy. I actually hate his "barry white" esq voice, and don't think it pumps up the fans at all. It's actually the perfect voice for the atmosphere at Staples; relaxed and calm.

Now, everybody thinks he's great and all, but besides him being the PA guy for 20+ years, why does everyone think he's so amazing? Just because someone does something for X years, doesn't make them good (see: stu lantz).

I'm dying to hear some real reasons

I hate public announcers at NBA arenas that are high strung energy guys who try to pump up an NBA arena like it's a WWE event. For example like the guy who is the public announcer in Detroit for the Pistons.

That guy is annoying as hell.
KB8SD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject:

I remember reading here on LG during and other websites during the 2004 Finals how some people like the thread starter wanted our game introductions to be like this:

NBA Finals 2004 Detroit Pistons intro:

The Pistons announcer is John Mason.

This all became a subject and people like the thread starter bring this up because of the coverage it got during the 2004 Finals which is shown on national TV on ABC.

Like others have said the Lakers are a classy organization and that type of game intro does not fit the Lakers and LA's style. We don't need a HYPE guy.

Also I've been going to Staples Center a long time to see games live and I remember the years before they would do the setup of big temporary banners hanging down from the center court main screen where they project a flashy intro with the Lakers history or some other hyped up passionate video being shown and the Laker girls on the court during the team intro.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject:

gblews wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

and yes, ideally the team should pump up the crowd, but the whole point of a PA guy isn't to just call out names of people who score, it's to get people jacked when they are sitting on their hands.
This sounds like a contradiction.

The idea of the PA announcer's job being to pu up the crowd is a relatively recent development. The Lakers have never used their PA guy to pump up the crowd, so the assertion that a PA announcer's job is to pump the crowd is certainly not a fact. The PA guy's purpose is dependent upon which NBA teams you're talking about.

Tanter used to be a DJ prior to getting the Lakers''s gig. I used to call him up when he worked late nights at KJLA back in the '70's and talk music. Nice guy and very knowledgeable about music.

While I remember hearing Lawrence on KTWV at times in the 90s (perhaps filling in for Don Burns), didn't realize he worked at KJLH in the 70s. Lawrence is indeed a good guy in person, I hope he stays on for a long time.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject:

It's not that he's that great, but the standard in that line of work is pretty low. I mean Chick was maybe the best sports announcer of all time (although I like Vin Scully better and it's not close) but you realize just how great he was when you watch home broadcasts from other teams. Go watch an Atlanta hawks home game on TV, it's barely watchable and the announcers mumble and say a whole lot of nothing.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
There will never be another

THIS

OR

THIS

I do agree. That Chicago announcer is the GOAT.

On one hand, Tanter is different than most others, which makes him stand out more. On the other hand, I also agree that he is VERY boring and puts people asleep.

Too many stupid posts about "OH YEA!? WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE THAT STUTTER DETROIT CRAP!? HUH!?"

How about neither? Those two extremes aren't the only ones to exist. The classic Knicks and Bulls PA announcers from the 90s are always great and they don't fall to either category. There are plenty of great voices in today's day and age that can not sound obnoxious while also not sounding like he's talking about cleaning up a spill in isle 5.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject:

I like Tanter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
I like Tanter
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
I'm sorry but this is (bleep) epic.
Man, that pumped me up!!!
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject:

oliverginob wrote:
go to a Clipper gamed and find out

haha my first thought when i read this was.. damn this dude has prob never gone to a clipper game..
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:

I love LT! So classy. LA does not need a hype man on the mic like those other cities. I am talking about you DEEEEETTTTTTTTTRROOOOOOOOOOITT
Basketballlllllllllllllllllll guy.

I know he won't last and we will have some guy yelling all the time in the near future to go along with our wish patches and the blasting techno music. But for now, I can be happy and just soak in the coolness that is LT.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
I'm sorry but this is (bleep) epic.
Man, that pumped me up!!!

I watch this clip like 3 times per year. No, I am not living in the past
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
jodeke wrote:
There will never be another

THIS

OR

THIS

I do agree. That Chicago announcer is the GOAT.

On one hand, Tanter is different than most others, which makes him stand out more. On the other hand, I also agree that he is VERY boring and puts people asleep.

Too many stupid posts about "OH YEA!? WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE THAT STUTTER DETROIT CRAP!? HUH!?"

How about neither? Those two extremes aren't the only ones to exist. The classic Knicks and Bulls PA announcers from the 90s are always great and they don't fall to either category.

Uh, the guy from the Bulls pioneered screaming asshatery. There was nothing "classic" about him, he was a jackass. He was the Johnny Most of PA announcers. He just had that one bit with MJ and the Alan Parsons Project and now everyone has fond memories of him.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
oliverginob wrote:
go to a Clipper gamed and find out

haha my first thought when i read this was.. damn this dude has prob never gone to a clipper game..

Or (as much as I love them) go to a Rams game. They got a screamer on the PA and it can be really embarrassing.

I think about the only thing that could've made the last few seasons any less enjoyable would be hearing some joker go nuts on the PA because D'Angelo Russell made a game-winner over another bad team in the middle of a 25-win season.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject:

Tanter's ok. He feels throwback to me.

A little dated. Could be worse. Could be better.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject:

I liked his original sound for what it was: a take on 50's "cool jazz", the laid-back delivery, all low notes and lots of vibrato, delay. I liked him and am not fond of the trend around the league of using "shouters."
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
I liked his original sound for what it was: a take on 50's "cool jazz", the laid-back delivery, all low notes and lots of vibrato, delay. I liked him and am not fond of the trend around the league of using "shouters."

yup- LA is classy. We don't need all of that yelling crap.
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject:

While we don't want a screaming moron, the Staples atmosphere might benefit from someone a little more enthusiastic than Tanter. Turn it up a few notches to a 4 or 5, but not 11.
lakers4sho
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject:

JamaalWilkes wrote:
While we don't want a screaming moron, the Staples atmosphere might benefit from someone a little more enthusiastic than Tanter. Turn it up a few notches to a 4 or 5, but not 11.

not gonna happen as Lakers Staples is catering primarily to a super upper class Hollywood crowd. The less conspicuous the better.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: