Having a debate... More IMPACTFUL Laker... Pau or Worthy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Maybe you think there should be an asterisk next to Kobe's fifth championship? Hardly seems fair since our center was so uninjured that he played 18 whole minutes and scored two points. The mighty Celts obviously didn't have any other bigs to fill in, so it just shouldn't count. It was especially cruel to the green gods of basketball that those 18 rebounds fell into Gasol's hands.

Not to mention the Lakers starting center missed the entire series in their first finals match up or that Ariza had just gotten back from injury and barely played.
Stuntman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Maybe you think there should be an asterisk next to Kobe's fifth championship? Hardly seems fair since our center was so uninjured that he played 18 whole minutes and scored two points. The mighty Celts obviously didn't have any other bigs to fill in, so it just shouldn't count. It was especially cruel to the green gods of basketball that those 18 rebounds fell into Gasol's hands.

Not to mention the Lakers starting center missed the entire series in their first finals match up or that Ariza had just gotten back from injury and barely played.

Ariza wasn't on the team for the 5th ring.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Having a debate... More IMPACTFUL Laker... Pau or Worthy?

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
A buddy and I are having a debate about who was the more impactful Laker between Pau and Worthy. I am going with Pau. Simply because of the role he played as the 2nd option and the weight he removed from Kobe as soon as he arrived. In my eyes, I don't think Worthy's impact was the same as Pau's. Nothing against Worthy, I love him. But Pau was a more impactful Laker to me.

I'd give a slight edge to Worthy, but it's very close.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject:

For those that says Worthy played with stacked teammates. He had to because the Celtics were stacked too. The celtics and the Lakers team in the 80's would have smoked Kobe and Pau and also any of their opponents. I think the best Lakers team would be the Kobe/Shaq team when they were unstoppable for one post season.
Xtreme
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject:

Paul
Weapon 6
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject:

Worthy doesn't get even half the respect he deserves. I've heard Larry Bird and Jordan talk about James with reverence. Even though Cap was dominant late into his career, Riley started to think about starting Thompson over him the last two seasons. Worthy was the 1b/2a option on the team. There is no way we are winning the last couple titles without Big game James. I love Pau, but the epitome of Showtime was Magic to Worthy.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject:

I think it's painfully obvious that the people who say Pau have never even seen Worthy play.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
I think it's painfully obvious that the people who say Pau have never even seen Worthy play.

NO DOUBT;
JAMES WORTHY means more to the Lakers than Pau Gasol ever will.
Pau was great but James was superior.
Xtreme
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject:

Who had more impact , Kobe or Magic?
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject:

This isn't even close, Worthy was a much better player then Pau and had a bigger impact on the game on both ends of the court. Worthy was one of the top 5-10 players in the 80's which is the best era in basketball.

Worthy had 36/16 in game 7 of the NBA finals against the Bad Boy Pistons and avg 22/7.4/4.4 for the series, won the Finals MVP. Scoring 22 against the Pistons great defense was the equivalent of 32 points in todays NBA, you had to work for every point and nothing was easy. In the back of his mind knowing that Laimbeer, Mahorn, or Rodman would foul him hard driving to the rim was no easy task but he still got to the rim and was efficient that series.
Truth Teller
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:42 am    Post subject:

Why are people acting like James Worthy was some dominant player in the playoffs? The reality is that Pau has the better playoff PER. Not only that, a 7 footer is a million times more valuable than a 6'9"(generous) guy.

And echoing what others have said, there's still a chance the Lakers win rings without Worthy. Are Laker fans forgetting what was happening without Pau? I'm talking about missing the playoffs all together...

Moreover, all of this "Pau didn't win in the playoffs without Kobe" is waaay overblown. Take a look at what that Memphis team did the year after he was gone. Also, Kobe wasn't even in the playoffs AT ALL one year without Pau. Do you forget that?
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject:

Xtreme wrote:
Magic, he was the best player of the 80's. Just about every night you we're going to get 20 ppg 11 apg 7 rpg in. Not just Kobe, Magic was more impactful then Jordan on the court. A 6'9 220 lb PG with his skillset and leadership qualities at a young age was rare.
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject:

It appears that a lot of you have no idea what the question being asked is.

This isn't about who is better. It's about IMPACT!!!
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject:

Truth,

Check the stats and then come back and tell us the truth. Worthy outscored Pau by 4 points (much larger discrepancy when you take Pau's Memphis #'s away) and much higher shooting %. I love Pau. I looked at his #'s and did not realize how much he dropped off his last 3 years in the playoffs.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Voices wrote:
I'm sick and tired of the Lakers of the eighties had so much more talent than the 2010/2009 Lakers teams. The eighties had great teams and the Lakers had to beat them to win 5 titles. The Kobe teams were good for sure but the competition was not nearly as strong so to give Pau so much credit is ridiculous. The Kobe teams had LO and Bynum, bigs that allowed Gasol to play soft because Drew and LO. And remember Perkins did not play in game seven at Staples, a very close game in which Boston did not have their best big defender in Perkins.

Worthy would have been a great player on any NBA team, Gasol needed a lead player because Gasol proved in Memphis that he could not win 1 playoff game, and Kobe was it along with LO and Bynum and MWP.

Kobe had 15 rebounds at 6' 6" compared to the 7' Gasol. Kobe also had 10 forth qt. points, and MWP had a great game 20 points as did Fisher. And our center played with a bad knee through the whole playoffs, played like a man.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject:

Love the fact we are having a debate about who is greater (Worthy v. Pau).

Try going to Raptors or Nets websites. I think they'd die to have Worthy or Pau.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Voices wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
Voices wrote:
You have got to be kidding, James always played hard, Gasol is the king of complaining and laziness. James had a Lakers heart, Gasol heart was with Spain.
James increased his stats during the playoffs, Gasol was part of 4 sweeps in the playoffs, 3 with Memphis and 1 with the Lakers.

Gasol is gone thank goodness, his last 3 years he was paid 60 million dollars for pouting. Please no more Gasol threads he is a Chicago Bull now.

Oh boy, here we go....

Another of your informative posts. I believe Oh Boy is a frozen pizza.

Oh yeah, because we need more "Pau is the worse thing that ever happened" nonsense, right? Does Pau owe you child support? It would explain a lot.

Gasol made 60 million dollars his last three years, that was a waste of money. All he did was complain and play without heart and soul.

I did not start this thread, there is a Pau appreciation thread, maybe you should post there. This thread is comparing a true Lakers great Big Game James to a player that did not give his all to Lakers fans and yet took 60 million dollars of Lakers fans money that is insulting. IMO it's an insult to compare the two, Gasol does not deserve to be compared to BGJ.
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject:

I would have loved a prime Worthy on those championship teams. Kobe could throw some of the worst passes ever and James's gloves would pick that (bleep) up and finish like a beast.

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
Voices wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
Voices wrote:
You have got to be kidding, James always played hard, Gasol is the king of complaining and laziness. James had a Lakers heart, Gasol heart was with Spain.
James increased his stats during the playoffs, Gasol was part of 4 sweeps in the playoffs, 3 with Memphis and 1 with the Lakers.

Gasol is gone thank goodness, his last 3 years he was paid 60 million dollars for pouting. Please no more Gasol threads he is a Chicago Bull now.

Oh boy, here we go....

Another of your informative posts. I believe Oh Boy is a frozen pizza.

Oh yeah, because we need more "Pau is the worse thing that ever happened" nonsense, right? Does Pau owe you child support? It would explain a lot.

Gasol made 60 million dollars his last three years, that was a waste of money. All he did was complain and play without heart and soul.

I did not start this thread, there is a Pau appreciation thread, maybe you should post there. This thread is comparing a true Lakers great Big Game James to a player that did not give his all to Lakers fans and yet took 60 million dollars of Lakers fans money that is insulting. IMO it's an insult to compare the two, Gasol does not deserve to be compared to BGJ.

He signed the extension while winning 2 chips and 3 straight finals. His $$$ were deserved.

For me, Pau was one of the most skilled big men to play for us. Big Game James was the more impactful player.

Last edited by Vancouver Fan on Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject:

Xtreme wrote:

They both have 5 titles at the moment, so I'd say they are about the same. In the metric that counts anyway.

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject:

Gwyn wrote:
Xtreme wrote:

They both have 5 titles at the moment, so I'd say they both are about the same. In the metric that counts anyway.
Love both players equally, however, I lean towards Magic. He just made everyone so much better with his distribution skills and could really control the tempo of the game. He was 2nd to none.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Try going to Raptors or Nets websites. I think they'd die to have Worthy or Pau.

More impact, Mo Pete or Calderon?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

More impact, Mo Pete or Calderon?

EXACTLY.

Poll: Best near-Division championship team? 1996 vs. 2005.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject:

Worthy. Integral part of arguably the greatest Laker team ever. Finals MVP, and he didn't earn he name "Big Game James" for nothing.

I love Pau, but in Worthy you're comparing him to a hall of famer who shone brightest on the big stage.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject:

Magic is GOAT.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9
Jump to: