Question - Greg Monroe?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jheren
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Question - Greg Monroe?

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see this being discussed at all.
We all know we don't have a legitimate starting Center yet, and Monroe seems to be the only available C. I know he's restricted free agent and Detroit could possibly match a max offer for him, but couldn't we have waived Steve Nash and offered Monroe the Jordan Hill money before they gave it to him?

Anyways, I know it could all be too late now, I just don't understand.. maybe some of you have idea on what our plan is for our center position? Sacre is not acceptable... Booze Davis and Randle are not centers.. at least not for the type of game that the Lakers play... small ball, run and gun never worked for us...

on a side note, It would be nice to give JClarkson more playing time had they waived Steve Nash! either ways, I'm excited for this kid, I think he's gonna do real good in the nba!

PEACE!
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Davis actually is a center. Hill will likely start.

And for all intents and purposes it seems like Detroit will match any offer because they're working overtime to try and trade Josh Smith to the Kings.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject:

We have to keep in mind that Hill was signed last and agreed to early so they could slide him in at his cap hold (6.6M I think), so though they're paying him 9M this year you're talking about about 8 or 9 million less than what it would take to tempt Detroit not to offer. That means no Lin trade or Young and Boozer take your pick.

As for Monroe, he's been discussed a few times in the big thread. Offensive threat that hasn't taken the next step, but he's lost on defense. Not sure he is the right fit beside Randle. For the talent though, I'd be interested at some point but Van Gundy sounded pretty happy with him. I don't think they do a Nash deal, and if you're a fan of Monroe you can't be mad at Mitch...it was likely Detroit would match anyway.
jheren
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

And for all intents and purposes it seems like Detroit will match any offer because they're working overtime to try and trade Josh Smith to the Kings.

Thanks for the response! But I just recently saw this on youtube about Ed Davis!

Ouch! 14-15 not looking so good if he ends up to be our starting C...

Maybe I haven't seen him play enough to judge, but he's undersized and a bit thin to be an NBA center, I hope I'm wrong...
jheren
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
We have to keep in mind that Hill was signed last and agreed to early so they could slide him in at his cap hold (6.6M I think), so though they're paying him 9M this year you're talking about about 8 or 9 million less than what it would take to tempt Detroit not to offer. That means no Lin trade or Young and Boozer take your pick.

As for Monroe, he's been discussed a few times in the big thread. Offensive threat that hasn't taken the next step, but he's lost on defense. Not sure he is the right fit beside Randle. For the talent though, I'd be interested at some point but Van Gundy sounded pretty happy with him. I don't think they do a Nash deal, and if you're a fan of Monroe you can't be mad at Mitch...it was likely Detroit would match anyway.

If they go above the cap to sign Monroe, will they pay repeater tax? Lakers made $100 million from last year, Lakers worst season ever right? If Kobe ends up playing the whole year this year, and Lakers turn out to be decent, they could possibly earn more $$$ plus playoff $$$, isnt it worth the extra 20-30 mil they "give back to the fans"?
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject:

There will be plenty of centers available next offseason that play defense and would be more valuable long term than Monroe. I'm glad we didn't bother with him.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject:

jheren wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

If they go above the cap to sign Monroe, will they pay repeater tax? Lakers made $100 million from last year, Lakers worst season ever right? If Kobe ends up playing the whole year this year, and Lakers turn out to be decent, they could possibly earn more $$$ plus playoff $$$, isnt it worth the extra 20-30 mil they "give back to the fans"?

I thought it was a repeat offender to luxury tax, and they aren't close to hitting the luxury tax threshold.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject:

jheren wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

It's not about avoiding luxury tax. I bet we'll be more than willing to spend what we need to to win. But we have to find the right pieces first. Tying up 15 mil per in cap room for Monroe who doesn't complement Randle's game well at all is not a good idea, hence why we didn't do it.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject:

The Princeston offense that Byron Scott will implement requires a center to work the high post. Monroe does not fit that bill.
TheElectronica
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject:

The cost of Monroe doesn't outweigh the benefit.

Yes, he is young. But he has some major flaws in his game. Would you be comfortable with him as a cornerstone piece for this team? His upside doesn't warrant the commitment. His floor is not good enough to put us into playoff contention.
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject:

jheren wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Thanks for the response! But I just recently saw this on youtube about Ed Davis!

Maybe I haven't seen him play enough to judge, but he's undersized and a bit thin to be an NBA center, I hope I'm wrong...

That's like me posting an Ed Davis highlight and saying we are going to win the title this season...one play doesn't mean (bleep)!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Davis is better suited as a backup big who will cover 4 and 5s. I don't see him surviving a year as a starting center. Kind of small and thin.
mastersworddude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Monroe doesn't fit here. He's a poor man's Pau Gasol without the court vision. Not a defender, at least Pau has length to block some shots and a little range.

He's a good young player, but I don't think he's for us.
jheren
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the input guys!
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject:

jheren wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

That play was due to bad positioning which can be taught to get better at.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: