Earl Clark Wants An Opportunity To Play And Prove He Still Belongs In The NBA

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Earl Clark Wants An Opportunity To Play And Prove He Still Belongs In The NBA

Quote:
By Alex Kennedy | Senior NBA Editor

Earl Clark wasn’t supposed to be an unrestricted free agent this summer. If all had gone as planned, he would be playing for the Cleveland Cavaliers in the upcoming season, after signing a two-year deal worth $9 million with the team last offseason. When Clark inked the contract, it seemed like he had finally found a home and some security after playing for three teams (the Phoenix Suns, Orlando Magic and L.A. Lakers) in his first four NBA seasons.

However, Clark was dealt to the Philadelphia 76ers at the trade deadline along with Henry Sims and two future second-round picks in exchange for Spencer Hawes. Philadelphia, in tank mode, waived Clark and just like that he was back in the free agent pool seven months after putting pen to paper on his contract with Cleveland. The following week, the New York Knicks signed Clark to a 10-day contract, followed by a second 10-day deal, but ultimately decided not to guarantee his contract for the remainder of the season.

That’s how Clark finished the season as a free agent, watching the final month of the 2013-14 campaign from his home. Now, he is ready to get back into the league and finally settle down somewhere.

When given minutes throughout his career, Clark has shown that he can be a significant contributor. He’s a versatile, two-way player who can play multiple positions and he believes he has proven that he belongs in the league.

“This is going to be my sixth year in the NBA, and I feel like I’ve been through a lot,” Clark told Basketball Insiders. “I feel like I’ve shown people over and over [what I can do]. I had to prove myself. I’ve been coached by many different coaches and survived. I went to different teams and didn’t burn any bridges; it’s hard to do that in this league. Now, I’m definitely looking for minutes – an opportunity to get out there and play my game. … Over and over, I’ve survived and once they put me out there, I do my job. That’s all I can say; that’s all I can live for. Whichever teams calls my name and gives me that opportunity, I’m going to be ready to play.”

Remember, just two seasons ago Clark played very well for the Lakers, initially thriving as a reserve and then replacing Pau Gasol in Mike D’Antoni’s starting lineup for 36 games (in which he averaged 9 points, 6.8 rebounds and nearly a block and a steal). It was this breakout season that led the Cavaliers to sign Clark, and he believes he can produce at that level again if put in the right situation and given the opportunity to play.

“When I was with the Lakers, I got the opportunity to get out there and play some big minutes – I didn’t have to look at the bench every possession to see if I was coming out,” Clark said. “It was the first time where I felt good, where I was comfortable playing basketball again. That’s something that I’m looking for.”

Clark has received interest from a number of teams since free agency started three weeks ago, but he continues to weigh his options. He understands that this is an important year for him and he wants to make sure he lands in the right situation, one that will allow him to showcase his skill set and salvage his career. For the first time since he was drafted in 2009, Clark found himself unemployed during a season when he was waived last March. He doesn’t want to end up on the outside of the NBA looking in again, which is why he’s taking his time with this free agency decision and carefully considering every opportunity.

“I’ve been hearing from a few teams, but it’s not anything that I’m jumping at right now,” Clark said. “It’s been different, man. I’ve been a free agent a few times and this summer seems like it’s going in slow motion. I’m just giving it time and going through the process. I just want the right situation and the opportunity to play. That’s all I want – the opportunity to get out there, play, help the team and prove myself again.”

When Clark entered the NBA, he was just a kid. Now, he has grown up, started a family and is very different from the player who began his career in Phoenix. The 26-year-old is married with two kids, and he says that he has really matured in recent years.

“I’ve grown a lot,” Clark said. “When I first came in to the league, I was just eager to get on the floor and play and prove myself. I wasn’t really thinking about the business aspect of basketball, the other side of it. Now it’s different, having a family, being married. I’m 26. I was younger then. When you come into the league, you’re 21 or 22 years old. At 26 years old, the life you live is different. You grow up fast. It’s just a whole different way of life; it’s just different now. I’m different, and I see the game differently now. It’s slowing down for me.”

Clark has been training every day, bulking up and working on his jump shot.

“I’ve been training down here at a local gym where I live; it’s been basically what I do every summer,” Clark said. “I’m continuing to shoot and work on my game. The thing that I did more this summer is that I tried to get a lot stronger. I usually don’t lift as much in the summertime, but I tried to dedicate time to working on my body. That’s really something that I’m into. Other than that, I’m just getting up a lot of shots, trying to improve my three-point percentage every year like I always do.”

While the last year has been tough for Clark, he still has a lot to offer a team.

“I feel like I play both sides of the ball, I can definitely guard anybody out there on the floor, I can rebound with the best of them and I can play multiple positions,” Clark said when asked why a team should sign him. “I’m a stretch-four or a three, wherever you want to play me. I run the floor. I’ve been here six years, I feel like I showed a lot of what I can do when the opportunity and the minutes are given. I’m just looking for somebody to give me that and to believe in me.”

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/earl-clark-weighs-options-in-crucial-summer/
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject:

Getting waived a few months into a 2 year contract probably isn't the worst thing in the world.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
Getting waived a few months into a 2 year contract probably isn't the worst thing in the world.

I think the second year was a team option. He has no one to blame but himself for signing that deal. I think he got a nice fat check for his first year though. No one's crying for Earl Clark.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject:

I hear the t-shirt making business is booming
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject:

Remember when some laker fans were calling for the head of mitch by not giving this guy a contract?
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject:

That's why you gotta think (or at least try) beyond that first check. Earl would have had to take short money to stay here, but he would've had a home, a solid role, regular press coverage, and some stability. Most of these teams treat bit players like 'garbage in, garbage out.' Trevor Ariza is another prime example. How many teams has that guy been on since he left here? He just signed a new deal with a team that traded him before!! You think they would hesitate to do it again?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject:

I think Earl made the right decision for himself. The probability of him ever seeing that kind of money ever again was slim to none, so it made perfect sense to grab it. Earl didn't blow it by leaving LA, there is little to no loyalty either way for these one year rentals. If one of them does very well, they will either be whisked away by another franchise or the Lakers will have to use cap space on a contract priced at the market rate. If they do "OK" they will get another one year contract here or elsewhere. It's the nature of the beast.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
That's why you gotta think (or at least try) beyond that first check. Earl would have had to take short money to stay here, but he would've had a home, a solid role, regular press coverage, and some stability. Most of these teams treat bit players like 'garbage in, garbage out.' Trevor Ariza is another prime example. How many teams has that guy been on since he left here? He just signed a new deal with a team that traded him before!! You think they would hesitate to do it again?

At the end of the day, especially if you're not a star, you're just trying to accumulate as much money as possible by the end of it all.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I think Earl made the right decision for himself. The probability of him ever seeing that kind of money ever again was slim to none, so it made perfect sense to grab it. Earl didn't blow it by leaving LA, there is little to no loyalty either way for these one year rentals. If one of them does very well, they will either be whisked away by another franchise or the Lakers will have to use cap space on a contract priced at the market rate. If they do "OK" they will get another one year contract here or elsewhere. It's the nature of the beast.

No brainer for Earl and I hold no grudges for his decision. He had to take the $. Now, he'll be lucky to get a mini-MLE level contract from hereon out.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject:

Yeah Earl had to take that deal. No brainer for him, he may never see money like that again.

You can't fault the guys on the "bottom" so to speak, for going for the money.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:

There's no guarantee if Earl had signed here that he would have played any better - we might have traded him or let him go. However, the $4,5 million he pocketed is his. I can't blame a guy for taking the guaranteed money.
TheSource666
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Remember when some laker fans were calling for the head of mitch by not giving this guy a contract?

Can someone necro those threads. Would love the public humiliation!
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject:

TheSource666 wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Can someone necro those threads. Would love the public humiliation!

Done. Check the lounge.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject:

LakersDC wrote:

Can Earl Clark be our Kawhi Leonard? Earl is taller and slower footed, but I still see Earl as more of a 3 than a 4. Can Earl guard quick SF's? I'm not so sure. .... props to the Spurs FO again...

To answer your question. Yes. 100%. Earl Clark could be every bit a player Leonard is. Why is he not? Well, it's not because of physical skills, ability to get buckets, rebounds, etc. Clark becoming Leonardesque is a matter of nuture since nature has made them similar already. In Kawhi's case, being under Pop's system (which caters to low key personalities who have big time talent) gave him the development he needed to get to this level.

Earl, on the other hand has bounced around. Had Leonard been in other systems where patience runs thin with fringe draft picks, he might have gone the journeyman route too. That's the beauty of the Spurs talent evaluators. They don't pick talent to get immediate results, knowing Pop would sculpt potential to talent. Guys like Parker, Hill, Leonard all made huge leaps from year 1 to year 2.

Now that Clark is a Journeyman with some years behind him, would he have enough patience to start over under a true guidance. I think he can, but the temptation to want immediate gratification ($$, playing time) is too great to sit on Pop's bench and watch for a year or two.
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject:

I will re-sign him to the Lakers if he takes the "discount" he promised.

So according to his current value plus with discount...he worth a bag of doritos.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject:

Can't blame Earl for taking that bigger chunk of cheese even if only for one year.

Would he have duplicated his "breakout" season had he signed for less with the Lakers? Would he have built upon it and advanced from there? Hindsight indicate, most likely not.

For players like Earl, the best situation for them financially is to come to a team like the Lakers and play with enough flashes to entice some Eastern Conference GM to overpay for your services in the annual off season overspending.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Cashing in on his brief success with us was by far his best option. He wasn't all that good to begin with; snatching that money when he had a chance was smart.
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject:

I never wanted to see him go and would love to have him back.
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject:

I'd take him back for the minimum, but he might be too similar to a guy like Wes Johnson. No reliable jumper. No true position.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: