Appreciating Gasol
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject:

All in all, one of the best humans - as far as I can tell from a distance - that has played in the NBA. True humanity and well-rounded person. What he does with his offcourt time is inspirational. He should have somehow retired a Laker, but will always look to see how he did each game as a Bull and hope he does well. I hope they win the whole thing since we might come up short.
Spill512
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject:

I hope he has success in Chicago. Pau and Noah on the floor together will be interesting. Two of the best passing big men in the league. I feel like he got just a little too much flack these past few seasons as a Laker.
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject:

Hey Pau,
Knicks cut Shannon Brown... He might be heading to Chicago to date your new GF.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject:

@SerenaWinters
Quote:
Yesterday, Magic said he had a long conversation w/ Pau Gasol before he ultimately made his decision to continue career in Chicago

Quote:
Magic: "He (Pau) was really hurt by the way he was treated." Specifically how he was mis-used last year, "He could never get over that."

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
@SerenaWinters
Quote:
Yesterday, Magic said he had a long conversation w/ Pau Gasol before he ultimately made his decision to continue career in Chicago

Quote:
Magic: "He (Pau) was really hurt by the way he was treated." Specifically how he was mis-used last year, "He could never get over that."

Makes sense. If I were him I would've felt the same way. Minimal low post touches, 2nd fastest pace in the league.

Losing Pau made this off-season devastating. Treading water (keeping Pau, not getting Melo, 'Bron, whoever else) would be alot better than our current situation.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject:

Thanks & good luck to Pau.

I will always fondly remember him but he is on another team now.

So toodle-loo & don't let the door hit ya were the good lord split ya!
hisairness#8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
@SerenaWinters
Quote:

Quote:

It makes me sad to think that he was basically the game changer and was so celebrated when he got here and then to see how fans turned on him..

Pau was put in a bad position he was given two coaches that didn't know how to use him and contrary to what many feel he was the most consistent laker.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject:

I think dan toni did let pau established the low post after he failed to put pau at the 3 point line. The thing is pau couldn't do anything in the low post at all because probably due to injuries weakness,, condition, and lack of will to play for dantoni. So pau is part of the blame also. I hope with noah doing all the heavy l'édition defensively and hustle, it will extend his playing time.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Pau will always be remembered as a great laker player. One of the most skilled post players to play for us. I loved his game. Yes, he was soft at times but he played great ball for us a majority of the time.
Fans4Fanatic
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject:

Thank you Pau and good luck!

Great Lakers and a class act for everything he went through the last few years.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject:

Pau and Kobe combo in their heyday is such a joy to watch, a near-threepeat combo champ.

Too bad his winning will could not be backed up by his physical will. Injuries suffered by Kobe in 11-12 season, didn't help things get better.

I have nothing but respect for Gasol.

Good luck, Pau> Thanks for three finals and 2 rings. You are always a champ!
EmoDias
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject:

Pau was good for us but it's the case of "What have you done for me lately?" He has been on a steady decline and I'm glad to see him go because it's very frustrating watching him half ass everything. Thank you but no thank you!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject:

Let's bring in another Gasol, Marc.
ADA32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject:

Pau, thanks for finals and rings for us.

You and Kobe were such wonderful team that will remain firmly in my memory.

Good luck in Chicago and Eastern Conference Final!
thurloly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject:

We still have Sacre...great!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"He (Pau) was really hurt by the way he was treated." Specifically how he was mis-used last year, "He could never get over that."

Not surprised. On top of it, Lakers brilliant plan is to offer Pau a lot of money thinking that's all he cares about. They had to give him security in terms of what his role would be, who the coach would be and how he would be utilized. I saw Pau talk about Kobe all season. It killed him that he needed to leave his teammate. Deep down neither wanted that to happen.

I'm not really unhappy that Pau left, I do think it was time. But at the same time, if I'm the Lakers and I want to keep Pau, I don't do what they did. Which is not hire a coach or have some sort of system in place where Pau would know his role. You had to be clear with Pau after the last few years what his role would be moving forward. Without a coach in place, that's impossible for Pau to measure, even if Lakers gave him assurances that he would have a big role.

If you want to keep Pau, you present a plan to him where he has a clearly defined role with a coach he wants to play for in a system he supports. Do that and offer him more than the competitors? Almost no chance he walks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LeBronte Jest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject:

I could stay awake just to hear you breathing
Watch you smile while you are sleeping
While you're far away and dreaming
I could spend my life in this sweet surrender
I could stay lost in this moment forever
Every moment spent with you is a moment I treasure

Don't wanna close my eyes
I don't wanna fall asleep
'Cause I'd miss you, PAU
And I don't wanna miss a thing

'Cause even when I dream of you
The sweetest dream would never do
I'd still miss you, PAU
And I don't wanna miss a thing

http://bit.ly/1r8Lxxf
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject:

hisairness#8 wrote:
32 wrote:
@SerenaWinters
Quote:

Quote:

It makes me sad to think that he was basically the game changer and was so celebrated when he got here and then to see how fans turned on him..

Just goes to show you how fickle so many fans are. Pau's arrival literally altered the Lakers' history book over night. Instead of being one title behind the Celtics at 16, the Lakers would likely be looking at an 18 to 14 deficit. Not to mention not having won a title in a dozen years.

Quote:
Pau was put in a bad position he was given two coaches that didn't know how to use him and contrary to what many feel he was the most consistent laker.

I always shook my head in disgust when I see the criticism Pau has received in the past few years. Once the Chris Paul trade was wiped out, it would have been very easy for Pau to go the Lamar Odom route and mentally give up. But he didn't. And he stayed true through a couple of years of frequent trade rumors in the press and constant (bleep) from fans to trade him.

He was rewarded by an ownership that never really stood behind him and sat back while two horrible coaches misused him and in MDA's case completely maligned him. Through that Pau remained a class act. Sure, he had a few moments of frustration, but one would have to be a fool to blame him for that.

Pau could have, and probably should have, flipped the Lakers (and particularly the fans) a giant middle finger on his way to Chicago, but he didn't.

It's a real shame that Pau wasn't given the respect he deserved in his last few years, and ultimately it's going to be something the Lakers and fans will regret, even if they aren't willing to admit it.

The man should have retired a Laker, and it's everyone's loss that he won't.
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject:

The biggest loss was that we didn't get anything in return. Could have done the Nash thing and allowed us to get something back. In a way, that was the finger towards the Lakers to repay the way he was treated.

Of course, that falls on the FO to not understand how these things work.
philipm35
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
hisairness#8 wrote:
32 wrote:
@SerenaWinters
Quote:

Quote:

Just goes to show you how fickle so many fans are. Pau's arrival literally altered the Lakers' history book over night. Instead of being one title behind the Celtics at 16, the Lakers would likely be looking at an 18 to 14 deficit. Not to mention not having won a title in a dozen years.

Quote:

I always shook my head in disgust when I see the criticism Pau has received in the past few years. Once the Chris Paul trade was wiped out, it would have been very easy for Pau to go the Lamar Odom route and mentally give up. But he didn't. And he stayed true through a couple of years of frequent trade rumors in the press and constant (bleep) from fans to trade him.

He was rewarded by an ownership that never really stood behind him and sat back while two horrible coaches misused him and in MDA's case completely maligned him. Through that Pau remained a class act. Sure, he had a few moments of frustration, but one would have to be a fool to blame him for that.

Pau could have, and probably should have, flipped the Lakers (and particularly the fans) a giant middle finger on his way to Chicago, but he didn't.

It's a real shame that Pau wasn't given the respect he deserved in his last few years, and ultimately it's going to be something the Lakers and fans will regret, even if they aren't willing to admit it.

The man should have retired a Laker, and it's everyone's loss that he won't.

Agree 100%
philipm35
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:
The biggest loss was that we didn't get anything in return. Could have done the Nash thing and allowed us to get something back. In a way, that was the finger towards the Lakers to repay the way he was treated.

Of course, that falls on the FO to not understand how these things work.

Pau waited all summer to see how it would work out, and was still waiting up until the deadline passed so that the FO could try and work something out.

Thinking that Pau would accept a FIFTY PERCENT pay cut when he knows that he is the second best player on the team is just ludicrous, especially with Kobe coming off of two career-threatening injuries and the team not going to be in contention for the next two or three years, at least.

The man did everything in his power to stay with the organization and the FO still low-balled him.

So he saved the Lakers FO some face by not calling them on it and cash too.

The man has never been anything but classy his entire career, whether it was in MEM or LA. Too bad, you cannot say the same thing about the fans in either city, because he changed the course of both franchises, for good.

I have every reason to think that he will do the same in CHI too.

Best Of Luck, Pau!!
crackadon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject:

i whole-heartedly do not understand this whole "Pau was disrespected by the fans/F.O." nonsense. i've been watching every Lakers game for the past 5 seasons or so and i have a pretty strong idea as to why everyone turned on this man.

now don't get me wrong, i respect Pau as a person, 100%, but when a bunch of fans overreact now that he's gone and try to portray his final years here as some sort of spit in the face or something is flat-out absurd to me.

do you guys know why everyone turned on him? because he deserved it. the last few years Pau played with very little heart, dedication, or passion (and let's not start with his complete lack of defensive intensity). and the worst part? he always claimed that 'the team' needed to make adjustments or play better. he never took full-responsibility as a man for his faults out on the court. he should have played like a leader instead of playing like a shadow of his former self.

it's like you guys have forgotten how so many of us wanted to pull our hair out because of Gasol the last few seasons. he played like he didn't honor or respect the purple and gold anymore; just going through the motions.

so yes, i am thankful for everything that Pau brought to this organization, but i'm not gonna backpedal and act like he didn't have his major faults. the man played like he didn't want to be here the last few seasons, simple as that.

he was never the same after we got swept by the Mavs in 2011. it was about time the team and Pau moved on.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:29 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

He was rewarded by an ownership that never really stood behind him and sat back while two horrible coaches misused him and in MDA's case completely maligned him.

Ownership stood behind him to the tune of a max contract extension. While it's true that all players are human and have emotion, they traded him for a prime Chris Paul. Pau was a professional and kept chugging along through it all. But a big part of that move was to free up the middle for Bynum, and later Howard. Pau was the subject of trade rumors because the Lakers had better, younger centers, and Pau was not as strong at Power Forward as he was at center. The Lakers can't stop trade rumors, they certainly listened to offers, but ultimately never traded him, when they really should have.

Were his few couple seasons ideal for him? Absolutely not, but the reality is he was being paid $20M to go out and play hard every night, and he didn't always live up to his end of the bargain. When that becomes the perception you are going to get criticism. I think Pau's heart wasn't in it to close his Laker career, and while I can certainly understand the situation, he was being paid huge money to do a job, and he was then slacking off at the job. You can't criticize the team for taking him out of the post, when even when he was the Lakers primary option last season, he often seemed reluctant to play down low. Pau was a -3.8 PER at power forward, and a +1.0 at center last season, with opponents posting big numbers on him night in and night out. The team was 4.9 points/100 possessions worse when Pau was the on the court. They scored 0.9 points less and gave up four points less. While the defensive schemes may have been subpar, they were subpar with and without him on the court, but they were far worse with him.

I was one of Pau's biggest supporters over the years. And I still love what he gave us in his prime. But you can't call out fans for turning on him, without addressing the reason they did. Because he showed a lack of effort, and openly questioned coaching decisions during the stretch. Pau seems like a great guy to me, and a smart guy. But if he's really honest with himself, he'll know that he didn't give his full effort in his final seasons with the club.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

He was rewarded by an ownership that never really stood behind him and sat back while two horrible coaches misused him and in MDA's case completely maligned him.

Ownership stood behind him to the tune of a max contract extension. While it's true that all players are human and have emotion, they traded him for a prime Chris Paul. Pau was a professional and kept chugging along through it all. But a big part of that move was to free up the middle for Bynum, and later Howard. Pau was the subject of trade rumors because the Lakers had better, younger centers, and Pau was not as strong at Power Forward as he was at center. The Lakers can't stop trade rumors, they certainly listened to offers, but ultimately never traded him, when they really should have.

Were his few couple seasons ideal for him? Absolutely not, but the reality is he was being paid $20M to go out and play hard every night, and he didn't always live up to his end of the bargain. When that becomes the perception you are going to get criticism. I think Pau's heart wasn't in it to close his Laker career, and while I can certainly understand the situation, he was being paid huge money to do a job, and he was then slacking off at the job. You can't criticize the team for taking him out of the post, when even when he was the Lakers primary option last season, he often seemed reluctant to play down low. Pau was a -3.8 PER at power forward, and a +1.0 at center last season, with opponents posting big numbers on him night in and night out. The team was 4.9 points/100 possessions worse when Pau was the on the court. They scored 0.9 points less and gave up four points less. While the defensive schemes may have been subpar, they were subpar with and without him on the court, but they were far worse with him.

I was one of Pau's biggest supporters over the years. And I still love what he gave us in his prime. But you can't call out fans for turning on him, without addressing the reason they did. Because he showed a lack of effort, and openly questioned coaching decisions during the stretch. Pau seems like a great guy to me, and a smart guy. But if he's really honest with himself, he'll know that he didn't give his full effort in his final seasons with the club.

It's been frustrating few years, and in times of frustration it's tempting to look for easy targets. Pau became one. Your post demonstrates the typical attempts to justify those frustrations. The fact that you mention Pau questioning the coaching decisions while ignoring the factors that went into that and the treatment he received from MDA pretty much sums it up.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject:

It hurts me a lot that he is gone. He basically gave up on the Lakers...maybe with good reason, maybe not. But he did it because the Lakers gave up on him.

At the end of the day, he's another casualty of the mess that is the Lakers front office.

I think it's funny that someone mentioned that ownership "stood by him" by paying him. Uhm no. Paying a player what they're supposed to be worth is not "standing by them". Standing by him would have included not trying to repeatedly trade him, and not hiring coaches who consistently marginalized him and made him play away from his strengths.

Within a year of the extension they traded him....that's not "standing by him". He tried to be a good professional through it all....but how many players could go through that, and still give all their heart to the team. Pau's a loyal guy, and he just couldn't take that from the Lakers anymore...not even for Kobe.

Last edited by K28 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14
Jump to: