Who should start at wing, next to Kob' ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

start X, Wes, or Young?
X
33%
 33%  [ 32 ]
Wes
51%
 51%  [ 49 ]
Young
14%
 14%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 95

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
Kob?

oh stop
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
Hmm. Is wes really a better defender than x? He's definitely a better rebounder and shot blocker, but I recall x being the most solid overall defender. 1v1 x seemed to stay in front of his man better, box out better, not bite on pump fakes as much, not foul as much, rotate better, move his feet better, not get bullied as much. Overall he seemed to have better fundamentals defensively.

On offense he also didn't seem afraid to make big plays which is important if you're going to play w the starters because you theoretically will be out there in crunch time.

Just throwing that out there. Personally I'd be fine with either one, I think I'd have to see the team chemistry in action come preseason to determine who is really the better fit. It's too close to call for me right now.

you have a good eye. yes, Wes has alottt of room to improve as a defender himself. a main flaw - he often gets shook by dribble moves/crossed ; but he makes up for it decently because of his length -- saying that tho, recognizing+defending dribble moves is something that easily get better at with time. same goes for biting on pump fakes.
w/ that said, damn, Wes really does have alot of potential as a defender.

I dunno. Like I said either one can take the spot chemistry wise. Wes just because he demands the ball less and is so versatile he can do a bit of whatever is needed. X overall is probably the more skilled player right now though.

I don't really know how come wes is getting so much praise as a very good defender. He's solid, versatile, and has tons of potential because of his physical attributes. But he's got a ways to go as far as skill goes. For being as gifted as he is he hasn't refined his skill to fulfill the potential of his body. He's a pogo stick right now. Which means he'll swat some shots, rebound, and have some awesome finishes. Conversely, he'll over rely on his jumping ability and bite on fakes to try to swat, pick up fouls off fakes, be slow at moving his feet because of bad lower body placement (ready to go vertical instead of lateral), get some over the back calls, and not box out properly because he tries to out jump his man instead of out position his man.

Thinking it through though I'm going to go ahead a nd vote with the consensus in wes, not necessarily because he's the better player imo, but because I think he's the better roleplayer. I can see x off the bench as a spark plug with nick young just doing his thing in the 2nd unit, but I can't imagine that in the 1st unit as a 5th option probably. He needs the ball in hands much more than wes does to be effective. Also wes in the 2nd unit does not seem promising either lol, he's not much of a spark plug who will go off in bunches like x.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject:

Wes is the obvious answer here, although I honestly think it will come down to match ups. If we're playing a team like Houston it might be better to have X guard The Bearded Guy who thinks he's the best 2 guard playing the game.

If we're playing OKC, Wes can run around screens all day with Westbrook. Even though they play the 2 guard spot, Kobe could probably defend the other wing players at the 3 due to his previous injuries. But on a nightly basis I would have to go with Wes, simply because of his length and athleticism and his defensive awareness is slightly better than X's.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject:

Will there be corn on Kob?
F_Nitty24
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject:

Nick Young, hopefully he steps up his defense because of the presents of Byron and scoring should be a problem for him.
NomisR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject:

Xavier Henry's probably for me, but it'll probably be Wes Johnson since Scott's our coach. I prefer Henry because a lineup of Lin, Kobe, X, Randle, and Hill will be pretty fun to watch. Pretty much a bunch of off the dribble attacking the basket guys on the court with Hill cleaning up the rebound. The other team wouldn't know what hit them. We can always go with Young too, but I think Young would be best off the bench in for Kobe and Wes can compliment his defense.

Either way, having depth and players to choose from seems like a good problem to have compared to 3-4 years ago.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject:

Pretty sure Wesley will start. Best defender of the three, leaks out on the break pretty well. Young is better coming off the bench so there is no reason to start him.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject:

The Faceman wrote:
1st Team:

Jeremy Lin
Kobe Bryant
Wesley Johnson
Carlos Boozer
Jordan Hill

2nd Team

Steve Nash
Nick Young
Xavier Henry
Julius Randle
Robert Sacre

I would rather have a more defensive wing next to Kobe. He and Swaggy P sharing the floor at the same time is like a poor man's Oklahoma City Thunder and it doesn't work for them either. I like X-Man in the second unit just for the sake of having a proven ball-handler in case Nash goes down (which, of course, is quite possible).

My sentiments exactly... Put Young where he can tear the second unit up. The first unit has enough juice. Aside from Steve Nash I'm love'n that second unit. UUUUnnnnnnless! Nash is healthy, of which would make me even more delighted with that second unit!
BigGameYimmy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject:

Wes for his D...Swaggy will get bored playing alongside Kobe, taking all his shots, Wes doesn't care and can play off the ball.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject:

Julius Randle. I wouldn't waste a second more on Wesley Johnson

Last edited by greenfrog on Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject:

Wes!!!!
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject:

I'm actually hoping its X because that would mean he's taken the next step in his development. I honestly believe that X changes everything about the Lakers if he finally realizes his potential.

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject:

Peoples Hernandez wrote:
I'm actually hoping its X because that would mean he's taken the next step in his development. I honestly believe that X changes everything about the Lakers if he finally realizes his potential.

Wesley Johnson.

I know people will Balk at Julius Randle being on the second unit but thats definitely where I want him to be.

If he can continue to improve man.. opposing second units won't be able to contain him. Add in that he's a willing passer.

I would be beyond ecstatic if Julius turned into an absolute force on the second unit that had to be double teamed. The second unit would have an inside force surrounded by shooters in Clarkson, Nash and Young. Slasher in Xavier and a glass eater in Jordan Hill.

I would actually go..

Jeremy Lin
Kobe Bryant
Wesley Johnson
Carlos Boozer
Robert Sacre

Steve Nash, Jordan Clarkson
Nick Young
Xavier Henry
Julius Randle, Ryan Kelly
Jordan Hill, Ed Davis

Robert Sacre is a big body. He won't be winning any defensive player of the years but he's more durable than Jordan Hill and definitely hustles. For a guy his size he actually moves pretty well. He plays better off a point guard who can actually get him the ball. Steve Nash and now Jeremy Lin are going to be able to do that for him.

With Ed Davis and Jordan Hill on the roster he probably wouldn't even play more than 25 - 30 minutes anyway.

My hope is the bench continues where they left off last season. If injuries hadnt mounted like they did they would've been the best bench in the league.

Lock the bench up to cheap deals for multiple years.. THEN go out and sign the big fish.

I don't find it at all impossible for the Lakers to be a championship contending team by 2016 - 2017

If the Lottery balls fall the Lakers way and they wheel and deal they might even expedite that to 2015 - 2016.
doven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject:

I'm not sure if posted already somewhere here but I found this on r/lakers

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Btrnx-1CIAE3t5s.jpg:large

http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/1188/292/original.jpg
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Will there be corn on Kob?

with a little butter as well i hope, is this a typo or a new thing?
8Five8Seven
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Michael Beasley??

don't know if this is posted on any threads yet in the Lounge so I thought I'd put this here since it's the most relevant topic. I know it's just a rumor, but I believe he's an UFA, and has been reported to be working out at the Lakers facility in El Segundo recently. Maybe they might sign him?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2146027-lakers-rumors-latest-buzz-surrounding-michael-beasley-shawn-marion-and-more
TheElectronica
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Wes.

Need a shooter/defender next to Kobe more than someone who can create their own shot. Would rather see Swaggy come off the bench. Ideally, X would be my candidate. He can be solid enough of a defender who is capable of working off ball/not taking stupid shots while being able to create for himself. However, his defense, consistency, and shooting needs to improve a lot.
MoriArty
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
I say Wes. He's a better fit with the starters. His role would be locking down on the opponents' best perimeter player and knocking down open shots. 2 things I think he's capable of doing.

Young is perfect off the bench. Instant firepower. I could see him possibly winning the 6th man of the year award this season.

Agreed on both counts. Wes can definitely fill that "3 and D" wing role. He's got room to improve his execution on the offensive end, but was really getting it together when his minutes increased and was hitting his threes towards the end of the season. He also provides length and rebounding. Only way to develop any consistency is to play the guy.

As for Young off the bench, I believe Swaggy had 6MOTY locked down if the Lakers had a better record. If not for the tank he had it in the bag. Every team needs a microwave and he's pretty much unstoppable when he gets in his zone.

If our starting 5 is Lin / Kobe / Wes / Booz / Hill or Lin / Kobe / Wes / Randle / Hill, I think we could live with that.
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Jackobe wrote:
Easy choice.

Wesley Johnson.

We need a versatile defender on the wing to help out Kobe, so he doesn't need to spend too much energy defending opponent's best wing player.

Wes is a very solid defender, and can knock down open shots at time and also get out on the break.

We need Swaggy be the 6th man and X is also better off coming off the bench.

"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Nick should start

I don't get the love for Wes. He's super inconsistent on O and I think his D is overrated here. I don't recall him locking anyone down. To me he was an average defender at best. His rebounds are unimpressive also, less than 5 rpg last year. If Byron can get him to up his game, good. But until that happens, I think Nick and Kobe should start.
Sccit
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject:

pg lin
sg kobe
sf young
pf randle
c hill

thats the line-up u run with
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Nick should start

I don't get the love for Wes. He's super inconsistent on O and I think his D is overrated here. I don't recall him locking anyone down. To me he was an average defender at best. His rebounds are unimpressive also, less than 5 rpg last year. If Byron can get him to up his game, good. But until that happens, I think Nick and Kobe should start.

I agree only for the reason that it would allow Randle to be the main scoring punch off the bench. Playing with Young is not something for beginners.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject:

Wesley 37% from 3 1blk 1stl
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Nick should start

That would make 3 of the 5 players on the floor who need the ball to be effective. That concerns me.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Nick should start

I agree only for the reason that it would allow Randle to be the main scoring punch off the bench. Playing with Young is not something for beginners.

I can sort of understand where your coming from but if you play Wes, you have an extra defender on the other team that can double or harass the rookie whenever they want. Wes needs to work on his shot and be more agressive cutting (and rebounding). There's a reason no one else picked him up. I'd still rather have Nick starting. He can shoot and pass. People thinking he is only an out of control volume shooter I think is wrong.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: