OFFICIAL BYRON SCOTT HEAD COACH THREAD!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:
gooner wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Fruscas wrote:
Clutch24 wrote:
Fruscas wrote:
Clutch24 wrote:
Fruscas wrote:
When the Cavs signed a MUCH better coach than yours, you know things are not going as they should. That said, i just want the Lakers to win and if Byron's the coach, then his success will be Lakers success. I will never cheer or desire a Lakers loss even if i dislike all the roster and coach(es). Most of the people here at least watched 05-07 Lakers bball and last season, so, i dont think 2014-15 will be that difficult to stomach.

Show me the facts that he's a better NBA coach. This will be fun.

The fact that i have two eyes and a brain.

I didn't expect the white flag this early, oh well. I was wrong, no fun involved.

Im not in this board to please no one, nor do i have to justify myself. I eventually will if im in the mood, although i usually do lack the patience.

Not to get too technical, but that means you are here to please someone.

I know this is a sports forum and not an exercise in proper grammar, but geesh god the disrespect for the English language around here drives me frickin' nuts.

Is frickin' a officially recognized word in the English language?

No, it's "Is frickin' AN officially..."

I thought frickin' was short for fried chickin'
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:
Clutch24 wrote:
Fruscas wrote:
When the Cavs signed a MUCH better coach than yours, you know things are not going as they should. That said, i just want the Lakers to win and if Byron's the coach, then his success will be Lakers success. I will never cheer or desire a Lakers loss even if i dislike all the roster and coach(es). Most of the people here at least watched 05-07 Lakers bball and last season, so, i dont think 2014-15 will be that difficult to stomach.

I'm not being sarcastic, but that means you've seen Scott coach teams to 2 finals, and you've heard the other guy has done nothing in the league yet...right?

We're just wondering what your using to compare them at this point, when there's literally nothing to compare.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
Clutch24 wrote:
Fruscas wrote:

True that remains to be seen whether the cavs coach will be successful. And Lebron being in his prime skews any results for blatt.

If Irving can play good defense thats all I need to know he's a good coach
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Fruscas wrote:
Clutch24 wrote:
Fruscas wrote:

I'm not being sarcastic, but that means you've seen Scott coach teams to 2 finals, and you've heard the other guy has done nothing in the league yet...right?

We're just wondering what your using to compare them at this point, when there's literally nothing to compare.

I've lived long enough to know that you really can't change what other people think so...yeah. I'll keep my opinion that David Blatt should've not be even mentioned on the same sentence as Byron Scott. And yeah, he will succeed in the nba, the game is the same, america is the opposite of an insulated country, and the game of basketball is being played more and more, the european way. The high use of pick n rolls, screen n rolls, three point shooting, small ball, speed and IQ over strength and size. It's all there.
Curiously it was Lakers ex coach D'Antoni that pretty much helped shape the entire nba landscape (and yeah, he used to coach in Europe too).
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Fruscas wrote:
Clutch24 wrote:
Fruscas wrote:
Clutch24 wrote:
Fruscas wrote:

I didn't expect the white flag this early, oh well. I was wrong, no fun involved.

Im not in this board to please no one, nor do i have to justify myself. I eventually will if im in the mood, although i usually do lack the patience.

I know this is a sports forum and not an exercise in proper grammar, but geesh god the disrespect for the English language around here drives me frickin' nuts.

Yeah, i know. Wanna come into a nba forum and chat with me in Portuguese then, buddy?
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Fruscas wrote:
Clutch24 wrote:
Fruscas wrote:
Clutch24 wrote:
Fruscas wrote:

Yeah, i know. Wanna come into a nba forum and chat with me in Portuguese then, buddy?

Would that please you? Then he'd be going to that forum not to please no one.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject:

that would be very gentle of you.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Fruscas wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Fruscas wrote:
Clutch24 wrote:
Fruscas wrote:
Clutch24 wrote:
Fruscas wrote:

Would that please you? Then he'd be going to that forum not to please no one.

I could care less...if someone wants to offer to please someone on the board. Just find a different thread. I don't see this coming back to Blatt anytime soon.
gooner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:
gooner wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Fruscas wrote:
Clutch24 wrote:
Fruscas wrote:
Clutch24 wrote:
Fruscas wrote:

Ha! Yea I saw that after submit. But that was a typo not a grammar error.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:11 am    Post subject:

gooner wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:
gooner wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Fruscas wrote:
Clutch24 wrote:
Fruscas wrote:
Clutch24 wrote:
Fruscas wrote:

Ha! Yea I saw that after submit. But that was a typo not a grammar error.

Nice recovery. You still get points off.
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject:

I think we will hate Scott by mid January

4 years ok ?
ginia1110
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject:

Jeremy's dad as assistant coach though...

Thought I got lost when this became a grammar lesson thread than Byron as a coach. Man, I really wonder how the next season will turn out. We dont even respect the skill of our team's coach. And the team is full of rejects, overpaid players, underdogs & wet behind the ear players.

R.Hibbert, wearing purple & gold next year = my pipe-dream... Lolz
LakeShowSince84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Welcome home!
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
gooner wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
gooner wrote:
Potato-Mania wrote:
gooner wrote:
To the posters who dogmatically think this is a bad coaching hire:

How do you factor in the fact that the Laker organization and three hall of famers think it is a good hire? Do you just discount their opinions and assessments?

I don't hate the hire but I don't love it either. It's best for the franchise to have a Laker face as the coach at this point an time, imo, because certain things may get ignored or pushed to the side if Byron doesn't get the team to do them, compared to someone like MDA. I guess in short, the fans will be more patient with Byron at the helm.

As for the opinion of the front office and HOF players. The front office will always stand by their hire. The HOF players who happen to be great friends with him may be on board because they have been friends and teammates for years.

But why would the front office hire Byron in the first place? That is what I am asking posters like you to address. And if I understand you correctly, you are saying the the HOFers just like Byron. They either can't tell a good coach or overlook that Byron is a bad coach because they are buddies.

coaching is a whole other field of the game. and sure, these great HOFers were coached by great coaches in the 80s, but those same coaching schemes/preparation techniques that were great back then, arent great today. Magic sucked as a coach.
I value Mitch Kupchack , and current NBA guys' opinions more , on coaching in the NBA today.

it's like, who do you think has the better grasp of what it takes to succeed in the NBA today, the coach who made it to the NBA Finals in the early 2000s, or the coach who made it to the Finals last season? relevancy. - i'd rather have Popavich coach my team now rather than Phil. I'd rather have Thibbs coach my team now rather than Scott. and i'd rather have today's NBA players opinions on coaching today's NBA, rather than 80s players. and thats not a knock on the 80s players ; it's simply that, when you havent been around an evolving business for 25 years, you're behind trying to hop back on the train. that's what i think of Byron Scott's best FRIENDS' opinions. and i still think they're top players of all time.

I am not sure I would classify you as dogmatically opposed. And I would not argue that Popavich or even Thibbs may be a better coach. But neither were realistic options for the Lakers.

What I am trying to point out is that the professionals, i.e. the Laker organization, players and even apparently Dr. Buss believe(d) that Scott will be a good coach for the Lakers. Yet, a poster can overlook all that and say Scott sucks. Categorically and dogmatically.

I just wonder how they can be so sure given his the quantity and quality of his support. Potato thinks that Magic, Kareem, and Wilkes support an incompetent coach because they are buds.

i think that's a factor too. but, Michael Jordan hires incompetent coaches and drafts busts, because the game changes.

i honestly would have preferred the best assistant coach we could find. or mayyybe even D-Fish.

BScott says he doesnt watch more than 20mins of tape. and to justify his style, all did was go out and lose 27 games in a row. myself, and the rest of the league prefer coaches who live in the film room ( so more possible adjustments can be made).
idk..

Matt Moore CBS @MattMooreCBS · 1h

Magic Johnson says the Lakers will be better next year because they'll shoot fewer threes http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24647411/magic-johnson-says-lakers-will-improve-because-theyll-shoot-fewer-threes … It's a little weird.

just to add to my argument..
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject:

@SerenaWinters
Quote:
Filling out & finalizing the Lakers coaching staff is in the works. Per source, Byron Scott is meeting with existing staff members today.

Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
@SerenaWinters
Quote:
Filling out & finalizing the Lakers coaching staff is in the works. Per source, Byron Scott is meeting with existing staff members today.

Keep Mark. Don't know about Larry Lewis and J.J. Outlaw.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
@SerenaWinters
Quote:

"MAD DOG" MADSEN MUST STAY!!
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
32 wrote:
@SerenaWinters
Quote:

Keep Mark. Don't know about Larry Lewis and J.J. Outlaw.

We also still have Johny Davis under contract. Lionel Hollins in Brooklyn wants him.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Good read. Here is a small piece of the article. Click on link to read full article.

FROM STREETS TO SIDELINE, LAKERS' BYRON SCOTT WAS ALWAYS TOUGH
Quote:
A stint in Cleveland could not have started worse — soon after Scott took the job in 2010, superstar LeBron James left for the Miami Heat. The rebuilding Cavaliers finished the next three seasons near the bottom of the league.

"Coach Scott never backed down," forward Antawn Jamison said. "He's the most competitive coach I've ever played for."

Practices could be brutal and players who did not work hard would find themselves on the bench during games. During blowout losses, Scott was known to bark at opponents who gloated.

"He had our back," Jamison said. "Players respected him."

LA Times
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Here's the #AskByron twitter fan questions recap:

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/140808askbyron?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject:

I'm quite concerned if Byron doesn't add some major help as an assistant. The names floated are not guys that come to mind as the type of help he had in jersey.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I'm quite concerned if Byron doesn't add some major help as an assistant. The names floated are not guys that come to mind as the type of help he had in jersey.

Yup. Scott def needs some wiz kids who eat sleep and dream basketball more than just ex nba players who may not have the same drive.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject:

Hopefully this lag in hiring Scott's assistants is a good sign that they are taking this seriously. Hope they don't hire assistants that have something to prove. Proven success would be nice.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Serena Winters
‏@SerenaWinters Byron Scott is planning to be a mentor in Centennial High School’s Male Academy, an intervention program for 9th & 10th graders
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Great interview by Mike Trudell with Byron, love to hear his confidence and his defensive expectations on the court. Just refreshing to hear someone talk about defense instead of a run and gun knucklehead who's purpose was always to outscore everyone by shooting more shots (how stupid was that), and breaking everyone's legs. Time to change the culture of this team and make us a serious team. Not saying we will make the playoffs but at least we won't be the laughing stock of the NBA.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/140820byronscott_qa?cid=TW
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 21 of 24
Jump to: