Florida cops laugh, high five each other after tasing and killing teen.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject:

LVLAKERFAN wrote:
It's sad the kid died, but this is so biased.

1. The kid committed was spraying graffiti,
2. He then failed to obey a police officer and even his friends said he ran away from the cops
3. They didn't shoot him with a pistol, they shot him with their taser so I doubt their intention was too kill.

I doubt they were giving high fives to celebrate the death of the tagger, they were probably giving high fives that they caught a guy that was committing vandalism and then ran from the police. I'm not taking his friends words for what happened. His friends seemed more disturbed by marijuana not being legalized in their state yet

What the heck do people want police to do, just let everyone who decides they want to commit and crime and run away to just watch? Sad loss for the kid and his family. It wouldn't have happened if he wasn't out spray painting and even after that it wouldn't have happened after he ran from the police. Stuff happens.

Rape is bad, but if the girl didn't want to get raped, she shouldn't have dressed so provocatively. Think about what you're saying.

As for the friends testimony, I find it ironic you call it bias but are okay at accepting the cop's testimony. They have the most to gain by lying.
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject:

LVLAKERFAN wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LVLAKERFAN Are you saying you don't believe the friend who said a cop laughed and asked did you see his (bleep) pucker when I tased him? I do, I've seen something similar.

There are officers who derive pleasure from hurting law breakers.

Some time ago I woke to the sound of helicopters and police activity out side my bay window. I went to the kitchen, a smaller window, to see what was going on. A police officer was coming across the street with a K9 in tow. He turned him loose, the dog located the person they were chasing between the hedges I had on the front lawn and my house.

The guy jumped out of the bushes and went into some kind of martial arts stance, the dog jumped him and had him down mangling him.

Instead of calling the dog off the officer stood there for around 20 30 seconds laughing. I heard him say "I love this ish."

There was an investigation. The next day the police came by asking neighbors what they saw. I told them what I saw, asked was it policy to allow dogs to continue an attack when he could have been called off? I was informed it was not policy.

Never heard anything more.

I won't go into details, I'll just ask. Do any remember Leonard Deadwyler and officer Jerold Bova? That's my first remembrance of Johnnie Cochran, he was the family lawyer. He got the wife a good settlement.

1) Spraying graffiti is no reason to kill a teenager.

2) He was cornered by multiple officers, was he a danger?

3) Police killed over 500 people with tasers last year. They're more lethal than many think.

IMO, this is one of the bad apples.

Do you really believe the cop intended to kill the kid using the taser? If you do, I won't respond anymore.

Every cop that I know has been tasered. None of them have died from it. Spraying graffiti is no reason to kill a teenager and that is why they didn't shoot him, they tasered him with the same taser that they taser themselves with. How many police officers have been tasered. How many of them have died? What's the percentage of people dying from a taser, I'm guessing pretty low compared to how many people don't die from the taser? How many of those 500 people were on drugs like PCP or how many of them had pre-existing heart problems, how many of them had pre-existing medical problems. If it's really that bad, ban it. Don't blame the cop for using what he was authorized to use. I don't believe that 500 people died from the taser last year. I'd need to see numbers to believe it.

There are almost 700000 police Officers in America. If only 50% have tasers, that brings us down to 300,000. If only half of those cops were tasered, that brings us down to 150,000 so we have a reasonable number to work with. If the death rate of the taser was less than 1 percent, you would have had 1500 dead Police Officers for every 150000 police officers that were tased.

I know there bad cops out there. I live near Detroit now and we have cops doing robberies out here. It's gotten that bad over here. This is not an instance where I think the cop was wrong. I've seen a lot of bad tase videos, but based on his friends account, it sounded like a good tase. I'd give a high five if I just caught a criminal. I don't believe that cops were celebrating the death, I believe they were celebrating catching the guy that ran away. That is if they really were high fiving and saying whatever they were saying. We've all seen people getting tasered youtube and they are hilarious.

Cop was doing his job. Unfortunate death.

Cops are officer of the peace. Their primary objective is to de-escalate the situation. A tazer is an option in the cop's arsenal including the gun, baton, and mace. Just because it's an option doesn't mean you should use it. Tazer's have obviously killed so you try to use it as least as possible.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject:

It was a justified tasing.

Sucks that the kid died. I highly doubt the officer expected that to happen.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:
LVLAKERFAN wrote:

2. He then failed to obey a police officer and even his friends said he ran away from the cops
3. They didn't shoot him with a pistol, they shot him with their taser so I doubt their intention was too kill.

I doubt they were giving high fives to celebrate the death of the tagger, they were probably giving high fives that they caught a guy that was committing vandalism and then ran from the police. I'm not taking his friends words for what happened. His friends seemed more disturbed by marijuana not being legalized in their state yet

What the heck do people want police to do, just let everyone who decides they want to commit and crime and run away to just watch? Sad loss for the kid and his family. It wouldn't have happened if he wasn't out spray painting and even after that it wouldn't have happened after he ran from the police. Stuff happens.

sexual assault is bad, but if the girl didn't want to get sexual assaulted, she shouldn't have dressed so provocatively. Think about what you're saying.

As for the friends testimony, I find it ironic you call it bias but are okay at accepting the cop's testimony. They have the most to gain by lying.

A girl dressing provocatively isn't a crime but vandalism is. A hooker walking the streets knows there is a risk of being sexually assaulted that comes with the profession. An act of vandalism or tagging comes with an inherent risk of being confronted by a cop, tagger, or gangster.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject:

LVLAKERFAN

No I don't believe he was trying to kill the teenager. I do believe the friend who said he was laughing at the way "his butt puckered" when he tased him.

I know many officers, most of whom have never been tased. Of those you know that have been, how many continued to be tased after going down? No case I've heard of said they were tased 8 9 times as civilians who died from the stun were.

LINK

You're asking for medical records and drug related arrests. I don't know. I do believe this.
Quote:
“The medical safety of allegedly-‘less-than-lethal’ Tasers is still being questioned, and without clear training and limitations, officers may use Tasers not because it is appropriate in a specific situation, but because it is the weapon available to them,” the ACLU of Florida statement continued.“It’s unclear whether the use of a Taser was a justified response to a teen’s attempt to flee after being caught doing graffiti on an abandoned building, especially given that multiple officers were present and other techniques may have been sufficient in the situation.

I'm not talking about taser use, I prefer tasers to bullets. I'm questioning the actions of "The One Bad Apple."

You say this cop was doing his job, I don't question that. The quote above opens the door to, was the use of a taser in this case really necessary?

I have friends and family on the force. I'm all for how most conduct themselves. Again I'm speaking to the corrupt element.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
LVLAKERFAN wrote:

sexual assault is bad, but if the girl didn't want to get sexual assaulted, she shouldn't have dressed so provocatively. Think about what you're saying.

A girl dressing provocatively isn't a crime but vandalism is. A hooker walking the streets knows there is a risk of being sexually assaulted that comes with the profession. An act of vandalism or tagging comes with an inherent risk of being confronted by a cop, tagger, or gangster.

Why are we being dishonest with our comparison? If you want to go there, then your last sentence should read "An act of vandalism or tagging comes with an inherent risk of being confronted by a cop, tagger, or gangster and you can get killed." Now that makes absolutely no sense but you didn't say that because you were being dishonest.

anyways, the whole point with the comparison isn't that it's a direct analogy. It's the victim shaming that he's doing. Putting a tragedy back on the victim as if he deserves it. NO ONE should die regardless if he was doing something wrong.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:
Quote:
NO ONE should die regardless if he was doing something wrong.

I'm not a advocate of a life for a life but in some cases I abstain.

In my reality killing a offender gets him/her off the hook. I don't know what the after life offers. I do believe isolation may be more a punishment.

Can you imagine what it's like to not have human contact, no radio, TV, Internet and amenities that are life's every day comforts.

IMO death is the easy way out..

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:
LVLAKERFAN wrote:

sexual assault is bad, but if the girl didn't want to get sexual assaulted, she shouldn't have dressed so provocatively.

That's a laughably horrible analogy. A girl isn't engaging in criminal activity when she chooses her wardrobe.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:

anyways, the whole point with the comparison isn't that it's a direct analogy. It's the victim shaming that he's doing. Putting a tragedy back on the victim as if he deserves it. NO ONE should die regardless if he was doing something wrong.

Pointing out that the kid was engaging in criminal activity and ran from the police, which precipitated the attempt to use force to apprehend him, is not even remotely "victim shaming".

No one is denying that it's a horrible thing that he is dead. Nor are they making claims he deserved to die for tagging and running from the police. But one can't ignore his role in what happened, and that his role started with criminal activity which brought the police into the equation. It's not like the cops went out and shot down an unarmed man who was trying to give himself up. They attempted to use non-lethal force on a person looking to evade arrest.

Trying to make people who point that fact out appear to be the bad guy is highly illogically and unwarranted.
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
Quote:

In my reality killing a offender gets him/her off the hook. I don't know what the after life offers. I do believe isolation may be more a punishment.

Can you imagine what it's like to not have human contact, no radio, TV, Internet and amenities that are life's every day comforts.

\

That's what jail is supposed to be but due to human rights advocate, inmates have cable tv, internet, and some other goodies.
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:

Pointing out that the kid was engaging in criminal activity and ran from the police, which precipitated the attempt to use force to apprehend him, is not even remotely "victim shaming".

No one is denying that it's a horrible thing that he is dead. Nor are they making claims he deserved to die for tagging and running from the police. But one can't ignore his role in what happened, and that his role started with criminal activity which brought the police into the equation. It's not like the cops went out and shot down an unarmed man who was trying to give himself up. They attempted to use non-lethal force on a person looking to evade arrest.

Trying to make people who point that fact out appear to be the bad guy is highly illogically and unwarranted.

Which part of evading arrest was it when they had him cornered?
Kobeskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject:

Cops murderers scum? Yup no surprise.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject:

When you commit a crime and then attempt to resist being arrested, you take a stupid risk.

It sucks that the kid died. Neither party expected that to happen. But the actions that led up to that point are the fault of the kid.

Last edited by Reflexx on Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:
jodeke wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
Quote:

\

That's what jail is supposed to be but due to human rights advocate, inmates have cable tv, internet, and some other goodies.

I'm talking about isolation.

In isolation there is no TV, radio and minimal human contact. You get 1 hour a day to exercise, by yourself.

There are organizations trying to stop long term isolation. They call it cruel and inhuman punishment.
LINK
Quote:
Isolation in US prisons commonly involves solitary confinement with minimal human contact of any kind, even with prison staff. Prisoners are typically held in their cells for 23 hours a day. Exercise is typically taken in an isolated space outside the cell. Isolation can also mean the confinement of two prisoners in a single isolation cell - a situation potentially even worse than solitary confinement.

Some indiscretions deserve that kind of punishment. IMO

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:

Which part of evading arrest was it when they had him cornered?

Now you're just being obtuse.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:

I think what's being stressed is a overreaction by THIS police officer. His saying "Did you see his butt pucker when I tased him" indicates he enjoyed taseing more than arresting?

There are the Good the Bad and the Ugly. Where does THIS officer fit?

Not having all facts, going on media print, he needs to be investigated. If found guilty of not abiding with policy a fair action should be considered and assessed.

Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject:

as usual, there will be an "investigation", which is a half assed attempt by the police to calm the media down.

and nothing will come from this "investigation".
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
as usual, there will be an "investigation", which is a half assed attempt by the police to calm the media down.

and nothing will come from this "investigation".

Thank you LINK

Gleedaniel13
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

If the inmates have this privileges, then a lot of people become criminal.
Kobeskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject:

OshadowO wrote:
Ares24 wrote:
Florida or Texas....pick one and go!!!!

Our CA cops aren't any better. Kelly Thomas, the Dorner man hunt (shooting innocents), Fruitvale Station, Rodney King etc etc.

Yeah its a way of life already that Cops are thugs. At this point what can we do.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
jodeke wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
Quote:

\

I'm talking about isolation.

In isolation there is no TV, radio and minimal human contact. You get 1 hour a day to exercise, by yourself.

There are organizations trying to stop long term isolation. They call it cruel and inhuman punishment.
LINK
Quote:
Isolation in US prisons commonly involves solitary confinement with minimal human contact of any kind, even with prison staff. Prisoners are typically held in their cells for 23 hours a day. Exercise is typically taken in an isolated space outside the cell. Isolation can also mean the confinement of two prisoners in a single isolation cell - a situation potentially even worse than solitary confinement.

Some indiscretions deserve that kind of punishment. IMO

Isolation is cruel and unusual. It's basically torture. I understand the sentiment of wanting particularly heinous people to suffer, but I'm uncomfortable with any fallible human being the arbiter of that kind of punishment, especially given how susceptible our justice system is to mistakes, racism, or just plain abuse and corruption.

Then there is also the question of what you want our justice system to do: improve society by rehabilitating those criminals who can be and removing from society those who can't? As a threat of increasingly harsh punishment for criminal offenders? After a certain point, increasing consequences does nothing to discourage crime since the idea that it would is based on the flawed idea that humans act based on rational thought and logic, and not the emotional, impulsive mess that most of us are.
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Gleedaniel13 wrote:
Quote:

If the inmates have this privileges, then a lot of people become criminal.

Didn't ya hear about the guy who robbed a bank for $1 so he can go to jail to get food and health care?
Gleedaniel13
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:54 am    Post subject:

If you are doing your job by obeying the rules and regulation is the good way. But if you are laugh at it then that is again another story.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
OshadowO wrote:
Ares24 wrote:
Florida or Texas....pick one and go!!!!

Our CA cops aren't any better. Kelly Thomas, the Dorner man hunt (shooting innocents), Fruitvale Station, Rodney King etc etc.

RAMPART!

Rampart was really corrupt, yeah.

On the plus side, at least we don't have official KKK members as police officers like Florida did until recently.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject:

tlim wrote:

Quote:
Rampart was really corrupt, yeah.

On the plus side, at least we don't have official KKK members as police officers like Florida did until recently

Really? Obviously you've not heard or don't believe chief Parker recruited men from the south. Story was he told them they could beat Black men and get paid.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: