THE Political Thread (All Political Discussion Here)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 124, 125, 126 ... 886, 887, 888  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Border crisis bill derails in House amid Cruz-inspired disarray

House Speaker John A. Boehner was always expected to have trouble passing emergency funds for the crisis at the Southwestern border -- but Republican Sen. Ted Cruz made his job impossible.

Cruz, the hard-line Texas Republican, has been working behind the scenes to stir up conservative opposition to a House GOP plan to approve $659 million to secure the border and handle the flow of 57,000 migrant youths.

And it worked. Amid disarray, House GOP leaders canceled Thursday's vote after it was clear they did not have the votes.

The senator's handiwork lighted up the telephone lines in the Capitol after an appearance on a tea party webinar. He further stoked opposition among House Republicans meeting privately over pizza on the eve of Thursday's vote.

House GOP leaders bristled at the senator's interference on their turf. Rep. Pete King (R-N.Y.) said Cruz had "hijacked" the Republican Party. Democrats jokingly referred to "Speaker Cruz."

Link
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Does Cruz have support from anyone other than the tea party?
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Say what you will about Nancy Pelosi but she could keep her party in line. Boehner has to be the least effective speaker in history.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Say what you will about Nancy Pelosi but she could keep her party in line. Boehner has to be the least effective speaker in history.

Boehner impresses me as a man whose heart isn't in half the things he says. Cruz is comical. I hope Hillary lies low until time to really campaign. Early campaigning leaves to much room for error. A slip of the lip can sink a ship.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Shlumpledink wrote:

He isn't even your typical Tea Party politician. He's not isolationist on foreign policy and he's not really pro small government. He just marketed himself as anti-Washington, and he did it brilliantly. How many of his voters are aware that he worked in the Bush administration? Probably not many.
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Shlumpledink wrote:

He isn't even your typical Tea Party politician. He's not isolationist on foreign policy and he's not really pro small government. He just marketed himself as anti-Washington, and he did it brilliantly. How many of his voters are aware that he worked in the Bush administration? Probably not many.

How many of his voters would care? He was a domestic policy adviser. Big whoop. He saved us from a Gore presidency, thats how i look at it.

In 1999 where was the tea party? If you were a conservative you were an (R), i dont see why this is relevant.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject:

shansen008 wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Shlumpledink wrote:

How many of his voters would care? He was a domestic policy adviser. Big whoop. He saved us from a Gore presidency, thats how i look at it.

In 1999 where was the tea party? If you were a conservative you were an (R), i dont see why this is relevant.

What would the World look like if we never had the disease of Bush/Cheney/Haliburton? The Trifecta
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject:

shansen008 wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Shlumpledink wrote:

He was a policy adviser for the Bush campaign. But worked in the Justice Department and the Federal Trade Commission in the Bush administration.

I consider him a great politician that recognized the political environment in his state and in the larger conservative movement and quickly re-branded himself as some anti-Washington crusader and thus part of the larger Tea Party movement, even though his biography tells us the opposite. Heck, of all prominent Tea Party types, only Ron Paul can be historically considered a Tea Partier. Most everybody else, such as Cruz, conveniently became Tea Partiers overnight in order to stay politically relevant.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
shansen008 wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Shlumpledink wrote:

He was a policy adviser for the Bush campaign. But worked in the Justice Department and the Federal Trade Commission in the Bush administration.

I consider him a great politician that recognized the political environment in his state and in the larger conservative movement and quickly re-branded himself as some anti-Washington crusader and thus part of the larger Tea Party movement, even though his biography tells us the opposite. Heck, of all prominent Tea Party types, only Ron Paul can be historically considered a Tea Partier. Most everybody else, such as Cruz, conveniently became Tea Partiers overnight in order to stay politically relevant.

Very revealing and frightening that the qualities that DO make a good/great politician is the ability to lie and change true colors. Henceforth why politics needs changed very badly in big ways if human life is to truly evolve.. We need real life "pre-cogs" to protect us from politics and humans that become politicians.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

It funny in that there was a time when it was said that keeping Dems in line was like herding cats.

Now, keeping Repugs in line is like more like herding cats, but it sure seems like there's been some turkey cross-breeding going on at sometime.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

It funny in that there was a time when it was said that keeping Dems in line was like herding cats.

Now, keeping Repugs in line is like more like herding cats, but it sure seems like there's been some turkey cross-breeding going on at sometime.

I find it surprising that people find this surprising. The GOP is in the midst of a civil war. You don't expect unity in the midst of a civil war. To make matters worse, the different factions in the civil war are engaged in a mutual jihad against Obama and the Democrats. After the next round of elections, the Senate may be majority GOP, but in reality majority no one. Welcome to chaos.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject:

^^^^^^^ The Dems and Pubs are puppets. As long as the all mighty dollar is the fuel that powers the car we're at mercy of the ultra rich.

Groups such as Barclays Bank, JPMorgan Chase & Co, The Goldman Sachs Group, to name a few.

There's a list somewhere of the families that control the majority of the wealth of the world. These people call the shots at government levels.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject:

House GOP urges Obama to act unilaterally on border, while suing him for acting unilaterally on ACA

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-boehner-gop-minors-spending-bill-daca-20140731-story.html
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject:

The House GOP is dysfunctional.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

I find it surprising that people find this surprising. The GOP is in the midst of a civil war. You don't expect unity in the midst of a civil war. To make matters worse, the different factions in the civil war are engaged in a mutual jihad against Obama and the Democrats. After the next round of elections, the Senate may be majority GOP, but in reality majority no one. Welcome to chaos.

That's the heartbreak for me. I have both liberal and conservative views on things, depending on the subject, and I have both strong friendships and bitter disagreements with people on both sides of that aisle. But if a group of people are going to basically get their way and in so doing break he economy, and then when they become the minority party publicly base their ideology on the twin platforms of returning to breaking the economy and basically obstructing by any and all means available any attempt by the majority party to do anything, and that actually works, we are basically (bleep).

It's not even the ideological differences. It's the basic idea that you can successfully stall any progress on anything and profit from it politically.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject:

House OKs bill to address border crisis

LINK

This may seem like a good idea right now but come next elections Republicans are going to feel it at the polls.

Supreme Court Rules: States Cannot Prevent Illegal Aliens from Voting in U.S. Elections

LINK

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Splash1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

I find it surprising that you find it surprising that people find it surprising.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Supreme Court Rules: States Cannot Prevent Illegal Aliens from Voting in U.S. Elections

LINK

Good heavens, Jodeke. Do you really believe that? If so, well, um, I'm a member of the Nigerian royal family, and I need your help!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Good heavens, Jodeke. Do you really believe that? If so, well, um, I'm a member of the Nigerian royal family, and I need your help!

Just posting links AH. No, I don't believe illegals will be allowed to vote.

I do believe the GOP is making a mistake by alienating Mexicans. They are going to be a force to be dealt with in comming elections. Their numbers are growing by leaps and bounds.

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The latest @FiveThirtyEight Senate forecast: Republicans remain slightly favored. http://53eig.ht/UN7WWO

https://twitter.com/FiveThirtyEight/status/496301195561271298
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
The latest @FiveThirtyEight Senate forecast: Republicans remain slightly favored. http://53eig.ht/UN7WWO

I guess doing less than any congress in history deserves a reward.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:

Who did these polls?

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

Who did these polls?

FiveThirtyEight is a polling aggregation website.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

Who did these polls?

FiveThirtyEight is a polling aggregation website.
Isn't their, Nate Silver, main strength sports polls?

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Established on March 7, 2008, as FiveThirtyEight.com, in August 2010 the blog became a licensed feature of The New York Times online and was renamed FiveThirtyEight: Nate Silver's Political Calculus. In July 2013, ESPN announced that it would become the owner of the FiveThirtyEight brand and site, and Silver would become editor-in-chief.[2] The ESPN-owned FiveThirtyEight began publication on March 17, 2014.

During the U.S. presidential primaries and general election of 2008, the site compiled polling data through a unique methodology derived from Silver's experience in baseball sabermetrics to "balance out the polls with comparative demographic data"[3] and "weighting each poll based on the pollster's historical track record, sample size, and recentness of the poll".[4]

Since the 2008 election, the site has published articles – typically creating or analyzing statistical information – on a wide variety of topics in current politics and political news.

Wikipedia
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 124, 125, 126 ... 886, 887, 888  Next
Page 125 of 888
Jump to: