Dogs that are hard to get home insurance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Dogs that are hard to get home insurance

http://www.bankrate.com/lite/insurance/dogs-most-often-blacklisted-by-insurers-1.aspx?ic_id=tb_11040

Of course depends on how they are raised. But honestly a lot of lousy owners and thus pets.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject:

The top 3 dogs on the list are most often found in homes that aren't likely to be insured/owned by their inhabitants.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject:

I've got 2 Pitbulls and I pay $25 a month through Allstate.

I wish I could do a sand damage claim on those little bastards. They would never hurt a fly. it's money just thrown out the window.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject:

buduan wrote:

I wish I could do a sand damage claim on those little bastards. They would never hurt a fly. it's money just thrown out the window.

That's what every Pit Bull owner whose animal has gone off and injured and or maimed every victim I've seen over the past 21 years has said.

Pit Bulls are not insurable for a reason, they are not safe. To believe otherwise is akin to being in the anti-vaccination crowd.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
buduan wrote:

That's what every Pit Bull owner whose animal has gone off and injured and or maimed every victim I've seen over the past 21 years has said.

Pit Bulls are not insurable for a reason, they are not safe. To believe otherwise is akin to being in the anti-vaccination crowd.

That's a bit of a leap. There is no upside to being anti-vac.

But it is entirely possible to raise a pit-bull who is safe and reliable as a pet. But you have to start with a pup and raise it in a calm and loving home. You can't teach it to play in any rough manner - no tug of war, no teasing, no rough housing. You need to be a very calm and nurturing, but dominant, Alpha member of the pack.

Raising one as a part time pet that spends a great deal of time by himself or locked in the yard is a recipe for disaster.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
buduan wrote:

But it is entirely possible to raise a pit-bull who is safe and reliable as a pet. But you have to start with a pup and raise it in a calm and loving home. You can't teach it to play in any rough manner - no tug of war, no teasing, no rough housing. You need to be a very calm and nurturing, but dominant, Alpha member of the pack.

Raising one as a part time pet that spends a great deal of time by himself or locked in the yard is a recipe for disaster.

Not buying it. I've seen too many injuries from Pits who were raised, at least according to their owners, in that manner. I think the tendency to "snap" has been bred into them.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, Pits aren't starter dogs by any means. Problem is too many people who have no business getting them do and treat the damn thing like it's an accessory to intimidate others.

!...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
buduan wrote:

Not buying it. I've seen too many injuries from Pits who were raised, at least according to their owners, in that manner. I think the tendency to "snap" has been bred into them.

I'll be the first to say that there is an inherent risk with pit-bulls. But it isn't something that can be overcome.

Far more people raise pit-bulls without incident than do so with regrettable results. Unfortunately, huge numbers of owners claim to raise them "properly" but choose pit bulls as an ornament rather than a pet. You can tell who they are. They buy spiked collars and use heavy duty chains meant for hoisting engine blocks out of trucks as leashes. They want a tough looking dog. As a result, they treat the dog accordingly. They say they are just nice house pets because that's why they believe they are doing. But in reality they are also teaching the job that being assertive is OK.

Snapping is a behavior that ANY breed will exhibit if they are raised in a manner where any hint of aggressiveness is left unaddressed (or encouraged) or they are neglected. A dog (of any breed) who is raised to be a submissive member of the "pack" is not going to snap - at least not in a manner that is meant to cause harm. All breeds of dogs (and similar creatures wild and domestic) have "aggressive" mannerisms in their play. They know how to play fight with each other and they know real aggression from play aggression and know how to demonstrate submission.

Another sign of an owner to be wary of is the owner who says they chose a pit to also be a "watch dog". Their intention may be to have a nice calm pet who will be a deterrent to burglars etc. because the dog can appear fierce. But no matter what their intentions are as far as raising a friendly pet who just looks like you should avoid him, it's going to blow up in your face. Pit's need to be raised in an environment where there is no such thing as an "intruder". You can't give them any idea that they need to be territorial, even over things like their toys.

Personally, I'm not a fan of pits - and it's not because of their rep. I just don't find them interesting as a breed. I don't find them attractive and there are other breeds that are much smarter and with better personalities. I don't get the attraction to them or little yappy dogs like yorkies, (bleep), pugs and all the other small vermin that attempts to pass itself as an actual canine.
Splash1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject:

^ As much as it hurts me to say this...I agr...ugh...ohhh...haha whoooo! Let's try that again. I ag-reeeee!@$#! with DMR. At least, the sentiment anyway. That was painful.

You don't have to raise one from a pup but it's always good to know the temperament of the parents. You can play tug-o-war and rough house with them as long as you bring the energy level back down and you don't re-enforce aggressive behavior with rewards of any kind.

There are many reasons why dogs like pit bulls have a bad reputation. None of it has to do with what some would call the breed's inherent instinct. There's a great deal of responsibility in raising such breeds that can potentially kill other animals as well as humans.

I should know. I raise 2 of the top 3 in that list. My pit is the most relaxed, well tempered dog I've ever known almost to a fault. Never a growl nor a bark. I'm sure some of it has to do with me and some has to do with his temperament. He'd also win a cutest dog contest. I wouldn't get to talk to half as many girls without him. He's my little chick magnet.

My rottie OTOH, it's "mooove, (bleep)! Get out the way!" Not because she's not friendly, but just by her size and looks. People close doors and gates when I'm walking her. She definitely gets people's attention.
Splash1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
buduan wrote:

That's if you buy the owner's story.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject:

No American Bulldogs?
lakershead22
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject:

Pit-bulls are awesome. I know you guys will say that you hear this a lot but my dog is so nice.

That site uses examples to try and show the breeds blacklisted how they can be aggressive but that can be true for all breeds not just the ones on the list.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject:

Chows have been the nuttiest dogs I've come across. Unpredictable like (bleep) parrots.

(bleep) parrots.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: