Nike To Match Under Armour's $285M Deal For Kevin Durant.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Nike To Match Under Armour's $285M Deal For Kevin Durant.

Quote:
@MySportsLegion
Under Armor is reportedly offering Kevin Durant a 10 year, $325 million endorsement deal. Incredible.

Quote:
@YannisNBA
Source confirms $320+ million offer from Under Armor to Kevin Durant. Offer includes equity in the company. Nike thinks they've lost him.

Wow is that the biggest endorsement deal in the NBA? In all of sports?

Last edited by eureca on Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject:

So Durant to the Lakers for the minimum??? Just kidding...
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Under Armor is reportedly offering Kevin Durant a 10 year, $325 million endorsement deal

eureca wrote:
Quote:
@MySportsLegion
Under Armor is reportedly offering Kevin Durant a 10 year, $325 million endorsement deal. Incredible.

Quote:
@YannisNBA
Source confirms $320+ million offer from Under Armor to Kevin Durant. Offer includes equity in the company. Nike thinks they've lost him.

Wow is that the biggest endorsement deal in the NBA? In all of sports?

For a single deal? unless you count Brand Jordan, yes, Mike is still #1, he makes something like 80-90m/yr from it still.

It's basically double what lebron gets from nike, and lebron outsells him 2:1 (they're ranked 1 and 2)

Last edited by Telleris on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Under Armor is reportedly offering Kevin Durant a 10 year, $325 million endorsement deal

do itttt!

I know, captain obvious here.

No (bleep) you've lost him Nike, Kobe, Lebron and everyone else not named Jordan would jump on that deal.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject:

He has the ugliest shoes
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject:

Aaaaand this effectively ends our chances at Durant. It used to be that playing in a major market had an impact on your ability to earn off the court. Obviously that's no longer the case.

An internet thing, maybe? What's the difference?

Damn.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Aaaaand this effectively ends our chances at Durant. It used to be that playing in a major market had an impact on your ability to earn off the court. Obviously that's no longer the case.

Damn.

Globalization
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:

Damn.

It's the Internet. Since the media is now literally everywhere, being in a media center like New York or Los Angeles isn't as important as it used to be.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject:

If Under Armor really wants to get big, they need to target some of China's most popular NBA stars like Xavier Henry, Nick Young, and Jordan Hill!
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:

Damn.

It's the Internet. Since the media is now literally everywhere, being in a media center like New York or Los Angeles isn't as important as it used to be.

Hopefully it is still kind of important. I really don't see where our rings are going to come from in the next 5 years even hypothetically if he stays in OKC. No KLove, no Lebron, no Durant, no Kobe, no Kwahi. Is Wiggins leaving Minnesota the only possibility? Does Anthony Davis want to get out of New Orleans? Those guys are like Obi Wan...our only hope.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject:

Wow< Durant will be Over-Armored.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject:

Horrible offer by under armour if it's true. You don't shell out that kind of money for someone who lacks personality and will spend majority of his prime years under shadow of lebron.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject:

Wow.
Well UNder Armour's shoes are considered among the best available currently.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Hopefully it is still kind of important. I really don't see where our rings are going to come from in the next 5 years even hypothetically if he stays in OKC. No KLove, no Lebron, no Durant, no Kobe, no Kwahi. Is Wiggins leaving Minnesota the only possibility? Does Anthony Davis want to get out of New Orleans? Those guys are like Obi Wan...our only hope.

LA will always have a lure to some players because it's a city a lot of people want to live in, and the Lakers have an appealing brand name. I just don't think marketing opportunities is much of a factor anymore.

Personally, I doubt we will win a ring over the next 5 years. The most I hope for is for us to construct a team that can reasonably be seen as a contender 3 years from now.
travanx
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Wow.
Well UNder Armour's shoes are considered among the best available currently.

What shoes and are they basketball shoes?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject:

Under armour has been really making a huge push in products/marketing lately.
TheGOATWears#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject:

I hope KD really considers UA. Nike hasn't really been putting much time to the KD line anyway, so going to UA would make him the #1 priority if they're shelling that much $.
"Love me or hate me; it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, my swagger. Hate my fadeaway, my hunger. Hate that I'm a veteran. A champion. Hate that. Hate it with all your heart. And hate that I'm loved for the exact same reasons."
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Business wise, this doesn't seem like a wise decision. KD doesn't have the type of following that warrants 300+ million.

But if you look at it yearly, it makes more sense.

32.5M per year. So doing the math...
At 130 a pair, UA would have to sell 250,000 per year to break even.
That means about 685 per day, for the next 10 years.
KD is 25 right now, so this deal will take him to 35.

Damn... now that I think about it again, this is a bad decision for business.

Because, the math up there is neglecting the fact that these shoes probably won't be 130 bucks because retail stores will want wholesale prices. So UA will also try to push gear like knee pads, shirts, socks, shorts. But you don't know if that's involved in the deal and KD doesn't have the fan base to move that number of products. OKC fans will certainly buy them, KD fans will buy, but in a league where you have Rose, Paul George, LeBron, and of course the product monsters MJ and Kobe, UA will have a very difficult time making it happen. Hmmm. Head scratcher.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
focus wrote:

LA will always have a lure to some players because it's a city a lot of people want to live in, and the Lakers have an appealing brand name. I just don't think marketing opportunities is much of a factor anymore.

Personally, I doubt we will win a ring over the next 5 years. The most I hope for is for us to construct a team that can reasonably be seen as a contender 3 years from now.

Pretty much this. Location isn't nearly as important these days for marketing. Too easy to go viral these days. Our advantage lies only in night life and weather.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject:

12 wrote:
Business wise, this doesn't seem like a wise decision. KD doesn't have the type of following that warrants 300+ million.

Because, the math up there is neglecting the fact that these shoes probably won't be 130 bucks because retail stores will want wholesale prices. So UA will also try to push gear like knee pads, shirts, socks, shorts. But you don't know if that's involved in the deal and KD doesn't have the fan base to move that number of products. OKC fans will certainly buy them, KD fans will buy, but in a league where you have Rose, Paul George, LeBron, and of course the product monsters MJ and Kobe, UA will have a very difficult time making it happen. Hmmm. Head scratcher.

If UA wants to make that money back, they really need to insist that KD sign with a more marketable team. A team with international appeal.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
focus wrote:

Pretty much this. Location isn't nearly as important these days for marketing. Too easy to go viral these days. Our advantage lies only in night life and weather.

Nick Young, Xavier Henry, and Jordan Hill are popular in China. And that's probably purely based on location.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
12 wrote:

If UA wants to make that money back, they really need to insist that KD sign with a more marketable team. A team with international appeal.

Agreed lol.

But in all seriousness, the idea of signing a marquee star to a deal like this isn't just measured in terms of X # of shoes sold. It goes WAY beyond that. It's the idea that him on board increases the exposure of Under Armour across the board. Branding takes decades and whether or not successful, we won't know for a long time but the point is, the # of KD's sold is just the tip of the iceberg and rather simplistic way to look at deals of this nature.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Under Armour is one of those brands you'll see at the store with a pair of shorts on a 35% markdown. You'll touch the material, notice the not-quite-ideal stitching and weird cut and remember the dumbass doing curls on the squat rack that morning who was decked out in full Under Armour Armor, say "meh", and then move on to the Nike section where you'll pick something out and then pay full price for it. Kevin Durant's ugly second-rate discount mug on a cardboard endcap placard is only going to amplify this effect.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
activeverb wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:

Damn.

Depends what you think of Russ, if Durant leaves OKC, he isn't staying either.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Durant pulling out of FIBA competition when he's on the verge of signing this deal? I don't think its a coincidence. Better to protect yourself from injury for the upcoming NBA season as well as your personal brand.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: