Nike To Match Under Armour's $285M Deal For Kevin Durant.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Under Armour is one of those brands you'll see at the store with a pair of shorts on a 35% markdown. You'll touch the material, notice the not-quite-ideal stitching and weird cut and remember the dumbass doing curls on the squat rack that morning who was decked out in full Under Armour Armor, say "meh", and then move on to the Nike section where you'll pick something out and then pay full price for it. Kevin Durant's ugly second-rate discount mug on a cardboard endcap placard is only going to amplify this effect.

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Under armour has been really making a huge push in products/marketing lately.

Yea, making deals with DC and Marvel also for licensed products.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject:

i just don't think Durant is that marketable. the guy's game isn't flashy and his on court off court demeanor screams Tim Duncan. besides he has to play under shadow of LeBron for another 5 years, at which Durant will be over 30.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
focus wrote:
Hopefully it is still kind of important. I really don't see where our rings are going to come from in the next 5 years even hypothetically if he stays in OKC. No KLove, no Lebron, no Durant, no Kobe, no Kwahi. Is Wiggins leaving Minnesota the only possibility? Does Anthony Davis want to get out of New Orleans? Those guys are like Obi Wan...our only hope.

LA will always have a lure to some players because it's a city a lot of people want to live in, and the Lakers have an appealing brand name. I just don't think marketing opportunities is much of a factor anymore.

Personally, I doubt we will win a ring over the next 5 years. The most I hope for is for us to construct a team that can reasonably be seen as a contender 3 years from now.

I doubt the 5 years, and beyond that who knows. But where can we even be seen as a contender - which player could we have to even put together a contender? I am not talking about front office failures btw, just who is the player or players that could even hypothetically make us compete if Durant or Davis don't come in some foreseeable time frame. Just sort of shocking to not have even a hopeful plan for a ring in 5 years. Our best bet as I see it is truly for KD to get here, UA be danged. In 5 years, i still believe barring injuries no one will be better. Short of him, who else is even potentially that good who might be a semirealistic option to come? Not lenard, lebron,DRose. Only guys I could think of are ADavis and Wiggins if they actually turn out to be that good.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject:

travanx wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
Wow.
Well UNder Armour's shoes are considered among the best available currently.

What shoes and are they basketball shoes?

Yes. A lot of people are saying their cushion is the best right now, which is surprising since the nIke Zoom cushion is pretty damn good. Their Spawn line of basketball shoes are very highly rated.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject:

does Under Armour company even worth $325mil? only half joking here.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
does Under Armour company even worth $325mil? only half joking here.

Revenue well over 2B last year.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
i just don't think Durant is that marketable. the guy's game isn't flashy and his on court off court demeanor screams Tim Duncan. besides he has to play under shadow of LeBron for another 5 years, at which Durant will be over 30.

He was third among active players for off court income a cpl years back, even if he took half what under armour is offering him (which would be about what nike is probably offering), he'd jump to #2 behind Lebron. He's also been doing really well with marketing ideas, my gf bought a pair of aunt pearl 6's and she doesn't even really know who KD is
Koalita
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject:

If UA signs KD, they'll be much more appealable to other names. That is worth overpaying for.
Heyvoon24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Koalita wrote:
If UA signs KD, they'll be much more appealable to other names. That is worth overpaying for.

Good call.
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Don't forget that Under Armour has a lot of other pretty awesome workout gear. This will only help that, plus push them into the basketball shoe game
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject:

That means Durant to the Wizards? Isn't UA located in DC?
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
That means Durant to the Wizards? Isn't UA located in DC?

No, it means they're paying him a (bleep) load of money. He'll play where he wants to play.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject:

That's nuts. Why even continue playing basketball and risking injury?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:

You really think Under Armour is paying him if he DOESN'T play basketball?
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Horrible offer by under armour if it's true. You don't shell out that kind of money for someone who lacks personality and will spend majority of his prime years under shadow of lebron.

this. kevin durant lacks the it factor. he's definitely the 2nd best player alive right now but he's just about the dullest superstar out there.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject:

DJ Slik wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Horrible offer by under armour if it's true. You don't shell out that kind of money for someone who lacks personality and will spend majority of his prime years under shadow of lebron.

this. kevin durant lacks the it factor. he's definitely the 2nd best player alive right now but he's just about the dullest superstar out there.

Yet he's the most popular player in the nba right now
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Hammett wrote:

Michael Jordan hasn't been on an NBA court in almost 20 years, is he getting paid?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Hammett wrote:

Michael Jordan hasn't been on an NBA court in almost 20 years, is he getting paid?

Player A is a guy instrumental in the creation of the Nike as just not only the #1 shoe brand but the bonafide #1 sports brand for every (just about) piece of sports paraphernalia. He's being paid not just legacy money but for the fact that his shoe is continually the top selling if now THE best selling shoe. He also stands behind a brand that was built over that same 20 years and on name recognition alone has launched other player endorsement careers.

Player B is a player that plays in gawd damn Oklahoma.

Now if a brand like Under Armour is going to pay 300-350M over 10 years to one of these two guys...and they end up with player B. Yeah, think that one through about the stipulations in the contract. Totally the same. So Player B exists under the same contractual agreement and as a corporation that pays him, expects him to exists so under that same said contractual agreement as Player A.

Yes, I've paid 350M for him to sit on his ass and NOT sell shoes for me. I've created a company that just made 2B in revenue in 2013 and THAT'S my first mega-endorsement contract.

Durant. Here's 350M. You're new to us as an endorser and a pitchman. You've done nothing for us actually. But you know what? You're nice. Just go retire and sit in a corner. Don't show up for a game with our gear. It worked for MJ (*ahem*...after he managed to blow up Nike and retired as the absolute #1 and is a BRAND unto himsel). Brilliant!

FAWK, if this is how easy it would be to sell. Sign me up! I'm doing it all wrong.

Seriously, here's a basic question and I can't even believe I have to ask this. Do you think as a company, they'd pay for a brand new pitch-man, 350 freaking million no less, with no stipulations on the fact that the guy...oh you know actually plays in the NBA and promotes their product? When you sign a guy to a mega contract like this, the idea is to promote the brand. Durant can do it one way...play ball. MJ can do it AT THIS POINT IN HIS LIFE by just being MJ.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Hammett wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Hammett wrote:

Player A is a guy instrumental in the creation of the Nike as just not only the #1 shoe brand but the bonafide #1 sports brand for every (just about) piece of sports paraphernalia. He's being paid not just legacy money but for the fact that his shoe is continually the top selling if now THE best selling shoe. He also stands behind a brand that was built over that same 20 years and on name recognition alone has launched other player endorsement careers.

Now if a brand like Under Armour is going to pay 300-350M over 10 years to one of these two guys...and they end up with player B. Yeah, think that one through about the stipulations in the contract. Totally the same. So Player B exists under the same contractual agreement and as a corporation that pays him, expects him to exists so under that same said contractual agreement as Player A.

Yes, I've paid 350M for him to sit on his ass and NOT sell shoes for me. I've created a company that just made 2B in revenue in 2013 and THAT'S my first mega-endorsement contract.

Durant. Here's 350M. You're new to us as an endorser and a pitchman. You've done nothing for us actually. But you know what? You're nice. Just go retire and sit in a corner. Don't show up for a game with our gear. It worked for MJ (*ahem*...after he managed to blow up Nike and retired as the absolute #1 and is a BRAND unto himsel). Brilliant!

FAWK, if this is how easy it would be to sell. Sign me up! I'm doing it all wrong.

Seriously, here's a basic question and I can't even believe I have to ask this. Do you think as a company, they'd pay for a brand new pitch-man, 350 freaking million no less, with no stipulations on the fact that the guy...oh you know actually plays in the NBA and promotes their product? When you sign a guy to a mega contract like this, the idea is to promote the brand. Durant can do it one way...play ball. MJ can do it AT THIS POINT IN HIS LIFE by just being MJ.

I'm not too interested into getting baited into a long discussion, but I will say this-

Any person can be signed into a mega contract considering they have a few things such as good looks, winning personality, nice smile, etc., and it doesn't even have to correlate to how great of an athlete they are.

I'm not saying Durant has any of that "charm" (IMHO he is bland-looking), but look at all the athletes who became a global brand outside of their sports based on looks/personality alone.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Under Armour is one of those brands you'll see at the store with a pair of shorts on a 35% markdown. You'll touch the material, notice the not-quite-ideal stitching and weird cut and remember the dumbass doing curls on the squat rack that morning who was decked out in full Under Armour Armor, say "meh", and then move on to the Nike section where you'll pick something out and then pay full price for it. Kevin Durant's ugly second-rate discount mug on a cardboard endcap placard is only going to amplify this effect.

I love under armour stuff. I've never been high on Nike, they seem like they get by on their brand name and having a very loyal customer base.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Hammett wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Hammett wrote:

I'm not too interested into getting baited into a long discussion, but I will say this-

Any person can be signed into a mega contract considering they have a few things such as good looks, winning personality, nice smile, etc., and it doesn't even have to correlate to how great of an athlete they are.

I'm not saying Durant has any of that "charm" (IMHO he is bland-looking), but look at all the athletes who became a global brand outside of their sports based on looks/personality alone.

You've changed the conversation. The point is, no one athlete is going to get a mega-endorsement contract and just be allowed to stop playing at the height of their career. If you're not playing, you're not selling. Greatness is a small part of it and I didn't even mention it. The handful of exceptions are those athletes that have already proven themselves over years as a pitchman. Again, ask yourself if you're attempting to BUILD the brand...not continue a pre-existing brand, would you sign a guy for $350M and not have a contractual obligation to actually be out there playing and thus promoting the brand? Does that pass the mustard at all?
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Hammett wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Hammett wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Hammett wrote:

You've changed the conversation. The point is, no one athlete is going to get a mega-endorsement contract and just be allowed to stop playing at the height of their career. If you're not playing, you're not selling. Greatness is a small part of it and I didn't even mention it. The handful of exceptions are those athletes that have already proven themselves over years as a pitchman. Again, ask yourself if you're attempting to BUILD the brand...not continue a pre-existing brand, would you sign a guy for $350M and not have a contractual obligation to actually be out there playing and thus promoting the brand? Does that pass the mustard at all?

I agree with everything you've said, but it's "pass muster" not "pass the mustard", or at least that's the way I've always heard it.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Hammett wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Hammett wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Hammett wrote:

I agree with everything you've said, but it's "pass muster" not "pass the mustard", or at least that's the way I've always heard it.

Okay, I'm a buffoon rofl. Really? Holy cow haha.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject:

I say pass the mustard quite often.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: