Miami radio show rejected from buying ad in Cleveland newspaper to mock LeBron James

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Miami radio show rejected from buying ad in Cleveland newspaper to mock LeBron James

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/07/miami_radio_show_attempt_to_bu.html#incart_river

Quote:
Representatives of The Dan LeBatard Show called the Cleveland media outlet on Tuesday to purchase a full-page advertisement in this Sunday’s edition of the newspaper, Northeast Ohio Media Group Vice President of Sales and Marketing Mike Maleski confirmed. NEOMG sales staff are responsible for ads in The Plain Dealer.

The show’s request was “politely declined,” Maleski said. …

LeBatard said during the show that the ad was not intended to be mean-spirited, but rather a way to poke fun at James and Northeast Ohio residents who watched him win two championships in Miami.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtvXWIwCEAEdelx.jpg
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject:

I was hoping it would be longer since I don't like LeBatard

http://thebiglead.com/2014/08/07/newspapers-still-dont-get-beacon-journal-turns-down-dan-lebatard-ad-now-covering-billboard-story/#sthash.I671vyCb.uxfs

Quote:
Dan LeBatard Suspended Two Days by ESPN for Buying 'You're Welcome LeBron' Billboard [UPDATE]

[UPDATE: The title of this post has been changed to reflect the suspension. ESPN statement below.]

How dense are the folks running the Akron Beacon-Journal? Last month, ESPN radio host Dan LeBatard approached the paper and tried to buy a full-page ad thanking LeBron James for his time in Miami.

Key word: BUY.

The paper, unbelievably, passed on the estimated $90,000 LeBatard’s ad might have cost.

Fast-forward to this week: LeBatard, rebuffed by the paper, decided to buy a billboard in Akron thanking LeBron for his time in Miami.

Smart, humorous, and the kind of thing more radio hosts should be doing (in Boston, this is the garbage they peddle). Come on, you had to smirk at the usage of Comic Sans. It’s the sort of thing social media devoured this week.

Guess who’s covering this story of the billboard on the front page of its paper?

The Akron Beacon Journal.

Astounding.

Part of LeBatard’s rise at ESPN over the last few years is precisely because of bits like this – more intelligent and clever than a trolling hot take – and ESPN has to be thrilled with finally having found a radio host to follow Scott Van Pelt and Ryen Russillo and gain traction in the toughest radio timeslot at the network.

ESPN had been looking for someone to fill the void since Doug Gottlieb departed for CBS Sports, and LeBatard has made it relevant, even if some folks in Bristol hated the idea of him giving his MLB Hall of Fame vote to Deadspin in 2013.

If you look closely, there’s some Bill Simmons in LeBatard – he broke out the pom-poms when LeBron was in Miami, enjoying the ride, crushing Derrick Rose, creating a meme that Cleveland radio guys are already aping, and repeatedly tweeting “HE’S NEVER LEAVING” because it’s sunny in Miami all year and cold and dreary in Cleveland. New media: Where journalists are allowed to be fans. (J-E-T-S!) Simmons wore his Celtic fandom on his sleeve at the 2013 NBA Draft; LeBatard’s taking the high road, thanking LeBron.

Sports radio hosts, the message is clear: More smart, more fun, less juvenile zoo garbage.

[UPDATE: 4:19 PM. A few hours after this post went up, ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz emailed this statement: "Dan LeBatard will be off the air for two days, returning Monday. His recent stunt does not reflect ESPN's standards and brand. Additionally, we were not made aware of his plans in advance.]
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject:

LeBatard is a dyed in the wool Miami sports fan....
Of course nobody can go against ESPN's saviour in Lebron James, so they had to suspend him.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject:

The billboard I admit was hilarious the comic sans font was a nice touch
BigJosh951
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject:

They suspend him for that but deem it o.k. to publish crap like that article the other day calling the Lakers a freak show? lol ESPN and its Lebron love knows no bounds.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject:

LOLeBastard.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject:

I can't stand any of them: LeBronze, LeBastard, or LeESPN.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
I can't stand any of them: LeBronze, LeBastard, or LeESPN.

LeWord
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject:

lol I hate LeBatard but BSPN suspends for that?

they get mad about anyone who talks bad about their boy i guess.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject:

This is disgusting, seriously. Watch how hard ESPN turns on Lebron when he struggles this year.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Jackobe wrote:
lol I hate LeBatard but BSPN suspends for that?

they get mad about anyone who talks bad about their boy i guess.

Skip Bayless talks bad about LeBron 24/7 and you don't see him getting in any trouble.

When you work for a company that is in the public eye and you're a recognizable person yourself, there is a code of conduct you have to follow. It makes it look like ESPN itself endorsed the billboard. I thought it was a pretty harmless joke but he should have cleared it with his bosses before doing something like that.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone really feel the need to PAY to mock El BJ?

I'm not sure why you would. I've been watching him make a mockery of himself for years and haven't paid a penny to do so.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Does anyone really feel the need to PAY to mock El BJ?

I'm not sure why you would. I've been watching him make a mockery of himself for years and haven't paid a penny to do so.

I could probably find it in my heart to donate a dollar or two.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: