Appreciating Gasol
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject:

I appreciate his great efforts... but we will never know the true reason why he disappeared during the all-star break from 2011.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject:

crackadon wrote:
i whole-heartedly do not understand this whole "Pau was disrespected by the fans/F.O." nonsense. i've been watching every Lakers game for the past 5 seasons or so and i have a pretty strong idea as to why everyone turned on this man.

now don't get me wrong, i respect Pau as a person, 100%, but when a bunch of fans overreact now that he's gone and try to portray his final years here as some sort of spit in the face or something is flat-out absurd to me.

do you guys know why everyone turned on him? because he deserved it. the last few years Pau played with very little heart, dedication, or passion (and let's not start with his complete lack of defensive intensity). and the worst part? he always claimed that 'the team' needed to make adjustments or play better. he never took full-responsibility as a man for his faults out on the court. he should have played like a leader instead of playing like a shadow of his former self.

it's like you guys have forgotten how so many of us wanted to pull our hair out because of Gasol the last few seasons. he played like he didn't honor or respect the purple and gold anymore; just going through the motions.

so yes, i am thankful for everything that Pau brought to this organization, but i'm not gonna backpedal and act like he didn't have his major faults. the man played like he didn't want to be here the last few seasons, simple as that.

he was never the same after we got swept by the Mavs in 2011. it was about time the team and Pau moved on.

Its lg what do you expect it's always mike d or Jim buss fault. People forget Phil hit a grown man or get him to be assertive. Will always appreciate what he did for us but let's not act like the past 2 yrs he hasn't played with his tail tucked between his legs nd having opposing Big Ben feast on him
magicdays
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Love to read the hypocrites who say they are thankful for the two championships he helped us win and then bash him to a pulp. I am certain Pau welcomes that kind of gratitude
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject:

magicdays wrote:
Love to read the hypocrites who say they are thankful for the two championships he helped us win and then bash him to a pulp. I am certain Pau welcomes that kind of gratitude

I am certain Pau doesn't have one to give
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
It's been frustrating few years, and in times of frustration it's tempting to look for easy targets. Pau became one. Your post demonstrates the typical attempts to justify those frustrations. The fact that you mention Pau questioning the coaching decisions while ignoring the factors that went into that and the treatment he received from MDA pretty much sums it up.

I didn't ignore the reasons for his frustration, nor am I looking for a scapegoat in Pau. Go back and look at my post history in 2008-2010, I was one of Pau's largest supporters. You seem to just think that fans are too hard on him and that he shouldn't shoulder any blame. While fans have certainly been harsh on him, he has deserved a lot of that criticism. You can't cherry pick one sentence out of the post.

To me there is a huge difference between the prime Pau and the latter years Pau effort wise. Pau came to L.A. with knocks against him and something to prove. After losing to the Celtics that chip on his shoulder grew larger and he played hard, exercised demons and all that jazz while establishing himself as the leagues best post player. He did that because he pushed himself. When Bynum emerged, then when Howard arrived, and then simply because he didn't like the offense, he lost that fire and edge.

The guy was making $250k a game, he's going to be the subject of criticism if he isn't out there giving his all. And I'm sorry but there is no way I can watch Pau's last season in particular and think that he was giving his all. Now I can understand that when your heart isn't in something, it's tough to reach deep. But should fans give him a pass on that? I don't think so. If you work a day job and some guy is paid more than everyone else, but is slacking off all the time, there's going ot be disdain for them, correct? Why do you expect that to be any different for a professional basketball player? He's unhappy with his role? Understandable. But that doesn't excuse a lack of effort.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
It's been frustrating few years, and in times of frustration it's tempting to look for easy targets. Pau became one. Your post demonstrates the typical attempts to justify those frustrations. The fact that you mention Pau questioning the coaching decisions while ignoring the factors that went into that and the treatment he received from MDA pretty much sums it up.

I didn't ignore the reasons for his frustration, nor am I looking for a scapegoat in Pau. Go back and look at my post history in 2008-2010, I was one of Pau's largest supporters. You seem to just think that fans are too hard on him and that he shouldn't shoulder any blame. While fans have certainly been harsh on him, he has deserved a lot of that criticism. You can't cherry pick one sentence out of the post.

To me there is a huge difference between the prime Pau and the latter years Pau effort wise. Pau came to L.A. with knocks against him and something to prove. After losing to the Celtics that chip on his shoulder grew larger and he played hard, exercised demons and all that jazz while establishing himself as the leagues best post player. He did that because he pushed himself. When Bynum emerged, then when Howard arrived, and then simply because he didn't like the offense, he lost that fire and edge.

The guy was making $250k a game, he's going to be the subject of criticism if he isn't out there giving his all. And I'm sorry but there is no way I can watch Pau's last season in particular and think that he was giving his all. Now I can understand that when your heart isn't in something, it's tough to reach deep. But should fans give him a pass on that? I don't think so. If you work a day job and some guy is paid more than everyone else, but is slacking off all the time, there's going ot be disdain for them, correct? Why do you expect that to be any different for a professional basketball player? He's unhappy with his role? Understandable. But that doesn't excuse a lack of effort.

The arguments against almost always involve money. Notice that?
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:

There's a higher expectation of people based on how much money they make. Pau earned his max extension. When he got it he was playing like a max player. Last season he was playing like a player worthy of the type of contract he got with the Bulls, maybe slightly better. But the problem there isn't a guy who got old overnight. It's a guy who stopped giving his full effort night in and night out, and that is unacceptable.

Kobe for example, has a very small likelihood of producing enough next season to be worth $25M, but i can guarantee you that he's going to play his heart out in whatever minutes he gets. His best won't be the same as his best 5 years ago, but the effort will be there. That's what you expect out of a max player.

Another analogy. Try showing up to work tomorrow and instead of working just browse the internet all day. When people walk by and ask you why you aren't working, tell them it's because your unhappy with your role. Your going to have an office of disgruntled coworkers, and will probably be looking for a new job afterwards. NBA players sign long term deals with an expectation of results, or at the very least effort. And when guys don't live up to those results, or show a lack of effort, they get criticized by fans and the media. I can live with the lack of results if a player works hard on their game and they just have flaws which they can't correct (example a guy who works hard on his shot but it never develops). A lack of effort is a lot tougher to justify.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

OLG, ordinarily, I wouldn't care how much he was paid. But it's a finite world with the NBA salary cap. The opportunity cost of Pau's near-$20m/year salary were pretty staggering.

Lakers were right to trade him for CP3 and the timing was right. Pau just needed a change of venue and I think he would have played well if that was the case. Then there was the Dragic/Scola/Martin/1st rumored deal that the Lakers refused.

So yeah, it's not the "money," it's the salary cap space that mattered the most.

Regardless, despite the past 3 years, I will have nothing but good memories of Pau. He was absolutely instrumental to the back-to-back championships and helped spring this team back to life when he was traded.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14
Jump to: