Nick Young Training like Kobe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
Other than his scoring, Nick is the same player he has always been. He still can't pass, rebound, or defend. Just because he's on the home team now, you're seeing him for more than what he actually is. It's the parent with the ugly baby syndrome. He's a hell of a scorer, a great entertainer, and a good locker room guy, but the rest of his game is below average.

Not sure he is as bad as you are describing. I agree he is not as well rounded as I would like. But I think it will help his game to have some discipline and hard work instilled by Kobe and Scott. Young has skills, just needs to use them more effectively.

I have high expectations for him this season. He can be a critical bench player. Seriously think he can compete for the Sixth Man award. He brings energy and scoring off the bench. He has to be accounted for and that will help the other players have some opportunities.

Maybe more importantly he finally gives the Lakers a viable back-up to Kobe. To keep down Kobe's mpg and to not give up those major point swings we have seen when Kobe goes to the bench.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:
Other than his scoring, Nick is the same player he has always been. He still can't pass, rebound, or defend. Just because he's on the home team now, you're seeing him for more than what he actually is. It's the parent with the ugly baby syndrome. He's a hell of a scorer, a great entertainer, and a good locker room guy, but the rest of his game is below average.

Not sure he is as bad as you are describing. I agree he is not as well rounded as I would like. But I think it will help his game to have some discipline and hard work instilled by Kobe and Scott. Young has skills, just needs to use them more effectively.

I have high expectations for him this season. He can be a critical bench player. Seriously think he can compete for the Sixth Man award. He brings energy and scoring off the bench. He has to be accounted for and that will help the other players have some opportunities.

Maybe more importantly he finally gives the Lakers a viable back-up to Kobe. To keep down Kobe's mpg and to not give up those major point swings we have seen when Kobe goes to the bench.

I'm not saying he's bad. I said he can score, and he's a one trick pony in that way. I think he's perfect as the primary scorer off the bench and I agree that he's a good backup for Kobe. I just think that some people think he'll grow into something that he'll never become. At 29, I don't think he'll ever improve his poor passing or rebounding. With more effort on defense, he might go from a below average defender to average. However, he's not a breakout star or a potential All Star.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:

I'm not saying he's bad. I said he can score, and he's a one trick pony in that way. I think he's perfect as the primary scorer off the bench and I agree that he's a good backup for Kobe. I just think that some people think he'll grow into something that he'll never become. At 29, I don't think he'll ever improve his poor passing or rebounding. With more effort on defense, he might go from a below average defender to average. However, he's not a breakout star or a potential All Star.

Sounds like we have similar expectations.

Much to be decided on whether Young can accept or flourish with less freedom and the more disciplined and no nonsense approach I expect from Scott and Kobe.
alexjlake_gr8t
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
This will help Nick Young individually. I recall a number of years ago Caron Butler working out with Kobe and his game really improved.

Did wonders for Ariza too.

B-b-but Kobe doesn't make ANYONE around him better! Right?!
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject:

alexjlake_gr8t wrote:
55 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
This will help Nick Young individually. I recall a number of years ago Caron Butler working out with Kobe and his game really improved.

B-b-but Kobe doesn't make ANYONE around him better! Right?!

Kobe (in his prime) would make a lot of player who play well off the ball, better.

I can't say the same for more ball dominant players though.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject:

Ariza's defense really picked up. His shooting numbers were actually mediocre.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Ariza's defense really picked up. His shooting numbers were actually mediocre.

He's great at passing lanes because of his length and speed but his lateral quickness on defense is average.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject:

Nick young will be just fine. I believe he is a piece of the puzzle.
tirebiter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:

Sounds like we have similar expectations.

Much to be decided on whether Young can accept or flourish with less freedom and the more disciplined and no nonsense approach I expect from Scott and Kobe.

nick young is being paid as a quality 6th man and that's what he will be for the lakers.

when he's on, we'll leave him in there and he will be dynamic - mini kobe. when he's off, or not giving any effort on D, we can limit his minutes and not have him hurt the team.

having a guy like young coming off the bench will be extremely valuable for this team, especially with an aging kobe.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Nick Young Training like Kobe

ADA32 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Quote:
When Laker fans think of Swaggy-P, Nick Young, they think of a player who is enthusiastic on the floor. They also think of a guy who likes to take a lot of shots and not always show the greatest commitment to defense. When Laker fans think of Kobe Bryant, think of a superstar. He’s the one superstar who trains like a 12th man trying to get a starting gig. Nick Young is ready to be Kobe Bryant’s Robin, and now, he’s training like it.

It looks like Kobe Bryant’s influence is rubbing off on Nick Young.

He took a 1000 shots he's serious about this robin role lol

When Kobe was developing his jumper he'd spend his offseason making 2,000 shots a day. Not taking. Making.

so he took 2001? first one was a warm up shot

also, wow 2k shots? kobe shots too much
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Nick Young Training like Kobe

marga86 wrote:
ADA32 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Quote:
When Laker fans think of Swaggy-P, Nick Young, they think of a player who is enthusiastic on the floor. They also think of a guy who likes to take a lot of shots and not always show the greatest commitment to defense. When Laker fans think of Kobe Bryant, think of a superstar. He’s the one superstar who trains like a 12th man trying to get a starting gig. Nick Young is ready to be Kobe Bryant’s Robin, and now, he’s training like it.

It looks like Kobe Bryant’s influence is rubbing off on Nick Young.

He took a 1000 shots he's serious about this robin role lol

When Kobe was developing his jumper he'd spend his offseason making 2,000 shots a day. Not taking. Making.

so he took 2001? first one was a warm up shot

also, wow 2k shots? kobe shots to much

fixed
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Did wonders for Shannon Brown, Mo Evans, and Laron Profit as well. Something should be said about going up against one of the best day in and day out. I'm also sure that witnessing first hand what Kobe's workout regiment is like also bodes well.

Kobe's like Yoda teaching these young bucks the ways of the force.

Kiss my Converse.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
55 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Did wonders for Shannon Brown, Mo Evans, and Laron Profit as well. Something should be said about going up against one of the best day in and day out. I'm also sure that witnessing first hand what Kobe's workout regiment is like also bodes well.

Kobe's like Yoda teaching these young bucks the ways of the force.

May the force be with them
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Good for Nick. He hasn't improved much since entering the league, so hopefully the combination of playing on his hometown team and alongside the guy he rooted for as a kid will encourage him to put in the work. Players can always get better if they are willing to put in the time.

With that said, I'll keep my expectations low and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Golden_Emperor_24K wrote:
too bad young doesn't play defense..so he can't start at sf. also he and kobe both need the ball in their hands to be effective. if young can learn to play better off the ball and complement kobe's game more, they would be dangerous in the lineup at the same time. now if only Wesley Johnson trains like kobe too. then he would defly get the SF starting job.

starting Kobe at SF with Xavier or Kobe at sg with Wesley is our best combination IMO. Kobe will make all our wing guys Wesley, Xavier and especially Swaggy much much better. PPL are selling Kobe short at how he will make everyone around him better... I guess they forgot who Kobe is.... PPL think he's just another bum on the roster.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: