Wade called Kobe : " The second best player of all time"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
^ You do realize the Bill Simmons wasn't talking to John Wooden in that interview, right?

Yes, I do.

You have been doubting the comedian (the word "comedian" you have been using most of the time to try to discredit what he (Dave) said to Simmons).

I have been talking to a wall all this time. LMAO
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:
Maybe the best way is to verify the truth about Wooden saying Kobe the best player he had ever seen is to have the comedian swear in writing that Wooded did say so.

Eh, you don't really care. If the comedian said that John Wooden told him that Lebron (or MJ, or whoever) was the best he ever saw, you'd brush it off. You'd say that Wooden's just an old college coach who knows nothing about the NBA, right? You only care about John Wooden because he might have said something that supports your argument. If John Wooden had said something different, you wouldn't change your mind, would you?

Actually, what if I ask you and those who object to what Dave said to Simmons the same question you asked me? What would be your answer?
What would be MJ jockers' reaction? I seem to know the answer.

Quote:
Dozens of Hall of Famers and luminaries have said something different. When the "Mount Rushmore" thing went around, hardly any of the people who were asked about it put Kobe on their Mount Rushmore (I think Magic did, but his other three were Lebron, Wade, and Duncan, so he may have been limiting himself to current players). None of that changed your mind, either.

You are wrong. I know Kobe is greater than those other names.

Quote:
I've made this point before. Celebrity opinions are pretty worthless on these issues. Earlier in the thread, Luke threw some quote from Durant in my face. Durant talked about how Kobe was the greatest ever, or something like that. Guess what? Kobe didn't make Durant's Mount Rushmore, either.

Hmm. That's stupid. Don't you think?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
^ You do realize the Bill Simmons wasn't talking to John Wooden in that interview, right?

Yes, I do.

You have been doubting the comedian (the word "comedian" you have been using most of the time to try to discredit what he (Dave) said to Simmons).

Discredit? Comedy is what Super Dave Osborne does for a living, thus he is a comedian.

Why not just be honest about this? You like what Super Dave Osborne said and you want it to be true and that's why it doesn't matter, for you, whether or not it is actually true. Just be transparent.

It's not a winning battle to try to argue that what Super Dave Osborne, the comedian, said he heard is what he actually heard because no one else has reported that they heard it and John Wooden is unfortunately gone.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Yes, I do.

Discredit? Comedy is what Super Dave Osborne does for a living, thus he is a comedian.

Why not just be honest about this? You like what Super Dave Osborne said and you want it to be true and that's why it doesn't matter, for you, whether or not it is actually true. Just be transparent.

It's not a winning battle to try to argue that what Super Dave Osborne, the comedian, said he heard is what he actually heard because no one else has reported that they heard it and John Wooden is unfortunately gone.

Honest? You have been honest thus far?
Your last paragraph simply strengthens my take that you call Dave the comedian a liar.

Do you
know the difference between " I heard from ... that..." and "I had the honor of having breaksfast with John Wooden and ...spent two hours with him? ....I said "who is the greatest...."

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:
MJ might have a slight efficiency edge but Kobe has a better rate of being double-, triple-, quadruple- and team-teamed than MJ or any other player on the planet.

67.34% of all statistics are made up on the spot. True fact.

Anyway, you seem to think that this would make a difference even if it is true. It doesn't. Trying to score while being triple teamed may be heroic, but it doesn't make you better. There are no bonus points for degree of difficulty.

As I said earlier, efficiency is not the only thing that we value. Kobe's ability to score under difficult circumstances is a point in his favor. However, MJ did pretty well under similar circumstances in the early stages of his career. There were a couple years when his supporting cast made the '06 Lakers look like Showtime. When the top scorers on your supporting cast are Charles Oakley, Dave Corzine, and Sam Vincent, it's not good. I seem to recall MJ drawing a lot of attention from the defenses in those days.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:
Actually, what if I ask you and those who object to what Dave said to Simmons the same question you asked me? What would be your answer?
What would be MJ jockers' reaction? I seem to know the answer.

Honestly, my answer would be the same one that AV gave. If Wooden really said what Dave claimed, I'd want to know why he thought that. I'd listen to his reasoning. In fact, though, if he really said it, I don't think he meant it the way that you and others want to interpret it. I don't think he was evaluating Kobe's career. I think he was giving an opinion on Kobe's skill. You can certainly make a solid argument based on skill, but evaluating a career is different. For example, you can make a pretty good argument that Kobe is more skilled than KAJ (or any of the big men, including Wilt), but that doesn't mean that Kobe had a greater career.

moonriver24 wrote:
You are wrong. I know Kobe is greater than those other names.

No, I'm not wrong. Magic really said it.

https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/475645617633759232

As I said, I suspect that he was talking about current players only. I can't believe that this is really his all-time Mount Rushmore. But with Magic, you never know.

moonriver24 wrote:
Quote:
I've made this point before. Celebrity opinions are pretty worthless on these issues. Earlier in the thread, Luke threw some quote from Durant in my face. Durant talked about how Kobe was the greatest ever, or something like that. Guess what? Kobe didn't make Durant's Mount Rushmore, either.

Hmm. That's stupid. Don't you think?

No. Kobe doesn't make my top four. When we had a poll in this forum, less than half of the people who voted put Kobe in the top five. You may disagree, but it's not stupid.
onering
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject:

I actually saw Wooden interviewed when he was at a basketball game. Not sure if it was a Laker game or a UCLA game. Just can't remember. But he did say that he thought Kobe was the best ever in the interview.

But since I can't prove it, I completely understand if people don't believe me. No biggy.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject:

We've had a million of these threads. And now people are getting snippy and personal with one another.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
Page 22 of 22
Jump to: