****OFFICIAL FRONT OFFICE DISCUSSION & CRITIQUE THREAD****
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 57, 58, 59  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:
If the plan is to pull a magic wand for a big trade, that is unlikely for two reasons: We have minimal assets to offer

I have to disagree with this. I'm as doubtful as you on the Lakers pulling in a major FA via capspace anytime soon - they rarely leave teams and when they do it's truly an outstanding unique situation for them with them being in love with the city or the people they would work with. I don't think Durant falls under this category with regards to his views on LA, so yes I agree with you we'll be searching beyond 2016 in capspace.

Here's where I disagree. Trade front? Mitch has proven again, and again and again he can do it. It's not easy, but less complicated than FA signing. I think what he did with the Lin trade was brilliant. He got back a draft pick, he got a player he can trade again before the season is up. He has some pieces to work with. People say we can't trade for an all-star, I disagree completely. We have the assets. We have about 30 M in expiring contracts. We have Julius Randle (if we want to move him) and we also have Houston's pick. If Randle is as good as some think he will be (athletic less strong version of Z-Bo) then the Lakers will have more trade assets than what got them Pau Gasol in his prime. Think about that.

Mitch has shown with the CP3 failed trade, Dwight trade, Pau Gasol trade - he will deliver HOF talent via trade. I have complete faith in Mitch trading his way back to the top. It will take a few years to stock pile on the assets to trade for TWO guys like that, because we don't just need one guy we need two to compete for rings.

I have almost the opposite opinion on him using capspace to get back. Unless you want Westbrook in 2017, I can't really pin point an all-star in his prime who will come to us anytime soon via FA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
How many "I wish we had Ballmer" threads are we gonna have this year?

I think that there will be several "I wish we had ______" threads

(fill in the blanks with Magic, Ballmer, and anyone else not name Jim Buss)
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
If the plan is to pull a magic wand for a big trade, that is unlikely for two reasons: We have minimal assets to offer

I have to disagree with this. I'm as doubtful as you on the Lakers pulling in a major FA via capspace anytime soon - they rarely leave teams and when they do it's truly an outstanding unique situation for them with them being in love with the city or the people they would work with. I don't think Durant falls under this category with regards to his views on LA, so yes I agree with you we'll be searching beyond 2016 in capspace.

Here's where I disagree. Trade front? Mitch has proven again, and again and again he can do it. It's not easy, but less complicated than FA signing. I think what he did with the Lin trade was brilliant. He got back a draft pick, he got a player he can trade again before the season is up. He has some pieces to work with. People say we can't trade for an all-star, I disagree completely. We have the assets. We have about 30 M in expiring contracts. We have Julius Randle (if we want to move him) and we also have Houston's pick. If Randle is as good as some think he will be (athletic less strong version of Z-Bo) then the Lakers will have more trade assets than what got them Pau Gasol in his prime. Think about that.

Mitch has shown with the CP3 failed trade, Dwight trade, Pau Gasol trade - he will deliver HOF talent via trade. I have complete faith in Mitch trading his way back to the top. It will take a few years to stock pile on the assets to trade for TWO guys like that, because we don't just need one guy we need two to compete for rings.

I have almost the opposite opinion on him using capspace to get back. Unless you want Westbrook in 2017, I can't really pin point an all-star in his prime who will come to us anytime soon via FA.

More than likely correct, although if you can trade for the first one, and even better still have a few decent players around him, younthen are in the game to sign the second. Lakers are doing this right. They are building assets while at least taking a shot at the big guys, and hopefully will use some of that room on a defensive big while acquiring more assets, and be in the trade market.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject:

Luca Brasi wrote:
It's en vogue to bash the lakers front office presently.

Watch them sing a different tune when we surprise people this year.

What a long season it has been.

Hopefully next season we will be much better and no longer the laughingstock of the NBA. I think we will improve the roster.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject:

I am frustrated and losing my patience with this franchise. The product they are putting on the floor is complete garbage. I swear this year better be the bottom. The last two seasons have been unbearable to watch. As a long time Laker fan I have never seen anything like this. This is historically bad.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
I am frustrated and losing my patience with this franchise. The product they are putting on the floor is complete garbage. I swear this year better be the bottom. The last two seasons have been unbearable to watch. As a long time Laker fan I have never seen anything like this. This is historically bad.

The tank is officially dead after May 19th.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject:

The tank better be dead after May 19th because this is BS.
akgolf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Not sure what you're expecting at this point in the season?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject:

akgolf wrote:
32 wrote:

It is probably just mounting frustration. At this point we are playing losing basketball without any discernible goal.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject:

And that $48m contract extension they gave Kobe was stupid. Who in there right mind gives a 36 year old player who just tore his Achilles tendon a contract like that. This is a big reason why the team has been historically bad the past two seasons.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
akgolf wrote:
32 wrote:

It is probably just mounting frustration. At this point we are playing losing basketball without any discernible goal.

But guys. This team isn't tanking.
mykeinla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Hey let's fire our third coach in a row because I don't know what I'm doing.

- the 6-foot-2 ex horse jockey.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject:

If you aren't outraged at this ish something is wrong.
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject:

It's going to be a lot of praying on May 19th Because all hell is going to break loose if we lose that pick and then strike out in free agency like they have the last 2 summers.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Agree, and it's against the Clippers which makes the blow out look worse.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

What took you so long?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
32 wrote:

What took you so long?

I don't know man. I just hit the boiling point tonight.
mykeinla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Anyone who signs Robert Sacre and Nick Young to multi year deals is alright by me.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
And that $48m contract extension they gave Kobe was stupid. Who in there right mind gives a 36 year old player who just tore his Achilles tendon a contract like that. This is a big reason why the team has been historically bad the past two seasons.

The recent demise started long before that contract was provided to KB. There were multiple bad decisions.
Lakersprime
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:

Indeed, this is a very very bad team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject:

At the end of the day, it's a business, and I'm sure the Buss family is still rolling in the dough (and lapping the rest of the league).

My hope is that within the next 2 years we will be playing deep into the playoffs and transitioning to the next Lakers. We had an amazing run with Kobe but I'm also excited (and I'm aware it will be a tough transition) to see what's next.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
32 wrote:

What took you so long?

I don't know man. I just hit the boiling point tonight.

Relax, man. I hit my boiling point like 60 games ago
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
At the end of the day, it's a business, and I'm sure the Buss family is still rolling in the dough (and lapping the rest of the league).

My hope is that within the next 2 years we will be playing deep into the playoffs and transitioning to the next Lakers. We had an amazing run with Kobe but I'm also excited (and I'm aware it will be a tough transition) to see what's next.

Next might be Rolling with Rondo.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I understand that's the approach up until 2016. Assuming we miss on marquee 4 or 5 carat free agents, do we just continue that model until we get a 5 carat player? The current CBA essentially locks up useful players for 7 years, and by that time, most are hitting latter part of their 20s. I hate how every top-level free agent is creeping up on 30.

We continue adding assets, be it in FA or the draft or by trade. Then you hope those assets can continually keep you in the playoffs, and you will reach a point where those assets can be used to improve. And then more assets used to improve. There will be a star who will want to come here, I can think of one in the next 3 offseasons.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:

Donald sterling will possibly be gone and los angeles likes winners. How do lakers fans stand back 5 years from now and the clippers have a guy with all that money and play at staple center continue to support a losing team?

with Donald sterling that would have quite a bit of time....but without Donald sterling....they need to get their team in order....Right now....today the future does not look bright....I hope it changes. Before with Jerry buss you knew he would turn it around and you didn't worry....Now...not sure about anything.

There are limits to the money the Clippers (or any other team) can spend. They capped themselves out this season and aren't even a favorite to compete for the title. If they sign Jordan and make a few other moves next season, again they will be at the limit to how much then can spend, without improving the team substantially. Trades is the only way the Clippers can close the gap between second round exits and the Finals, not spending.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 28 of 59
Jump to: