Happy Birthday Magic!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Magic was as awesome a player as he is annoying when he talks.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject:

This guy was supposed to be dead in the early 90s. We saw what HIV and AIDS had done to so many people. Literally watching people get skinny and sick and die. That what mostly every one thought at the time of his announcement. I'll never forget that day. Overcast and cloudy all day. No rain. People thought that he would go the same way Rock Hudson went just seven years prior to the announcement. One day Hudson was taking pictures with Reagan and aging nicely, little bit later dude looked just awful.

When the news came out, it was like I was going to lose a family member. My mom called me crying on the phone. She saw what HIV and AIDS did first hand while working at Children's Hospital. Seeing kids with the disease was definitely hard on her. Now seeing the Prince of Los Angeles with it was like wow. At that time, every person finally knew someone with the disease and it was Magic.

All he's done since the announcement was win an all-star MVP, be apart of Los Doyers, build up part of inner city America, throw 500 million in his pockets but most important, kick HIV right in the balls. Much respect Earv. Dude looks healthy as hell.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Happy B-Day Magic Man!

He was simply the most fun player to watch of all time. He changed the NBA in away that will probably never be done again. His bigger than life smile, his leadership, his passing, his scoring and maybe most importantly his infectious enthusiasm that made everyone from the players and fans, to coaches, press and owners root for him - Showtime was Magic.

People always speak about whether this star or that star player makes his teammates better. Well magic Magic made his teamates better, the NBA better and the sport better. He's the definition of a player that makes everyone else better. He sacrificed his own stats every game to make his team better.

Those great highlights you see in the videos weren't highlights at all, but how he played every night. Wow, I miss watching him so much.
LAL4K3RS
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject:

Happy Birthday Magic!

We can only imagine what rank you would have in the overall GOAT discussion if you had been given a chance to play your entire career.
I know there are always what if's in the world but honestly, you were a monster sized PG who could play every position and with great success. You could score at will, you could move the ball without effort and best of all you drove the Greatest Showtime Offense the NBA has ever seen.

In my book you are the true GOAT who unfortunately could not finish his career and put up the numbers that would have cast that name in bronze for all time.

Wish you the very best and a continued long life!
This Laker Organization has not yet hit bottom. It is moving there quickly, and I suspect this year we will see zero talent coming to the Lakers and we will trade away Kuz and BI for old vets in the hopes of giving LeBronze some scapegoats.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject:

At one point in time Magic was my favorite athlete of all time and I loved him. I've met him in person and he is one of the nicest people in the World. I've had some issues with him of late, but looking back to that day in Nov 1991, and how we all thought thought that he had been given a death sentence, it's great to have him here with us, amongst the living.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject:

My fave NBA player and athlete. Wish he could be a more formal part of the Laker organization.
jab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject:

check it...but Im pretty sure this is Earvin's 55th??
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject:

For the last time this thread was started on Aug 14, 2013 when Magic was 54 years old. This thread was bumped for his 55th birthday.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject:

Startrout wrote:
Happy B-Day Magic Man!

He was simply the most fun player to watch of all time. He changed the NBA in away that will probably never be done again. His bigger than life smile, his leadership, his passing, his scoring and maybe most importantly his infectious enthusiasm that made everyone from the players and fans, to coaches, press and owners root for him - Showtime was Magic.

People always speak about whether this star or that star player makes his teammates better. Well magic Magic made his teamates better, the NBA better and the sport better. He's the definition of a player that makes everyone else better. He sacrificed his own stats every game to make his team better.

Those great highlights you see in the videos weren't highlights at all, but how he played every night. Wow, I miss watching him so much.

Great post. My feelings exactly!

I also see Magic as GOAT!
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
My fave NBA player and athlete. Wish he could be a more formal part of the Laker organization.

Magic is my fave as well by far, GOAT. There was nothing more entertaining than Magic's showtime Lakers. Talk about never missing a Laker game, when Magic played missing a game was not an option, he changed basketball into sport/entertainment.

Magic and Jerry West should both be a huge part of the Lakers today. To bad Dr. Buss wanted children.
ronnyjeremy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject:

happy birthday magic!
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Fishlakers wrote:
Happy Birthday Magic! Amazing he is still here with us. Puts a on my face.

Me too, the most fun I ever had watching basketball was with Magic at the helm.

Glad he has had a good life.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject:

I was too young to have watched Magic, but I've watched as many old games and clips of his as possible, and he was truly a once in a lifetime player and personality. We've had several guys who've reminded people of Jordan, but there will truly never be another Magic. I don't really understand why people compare Lebron to him, because there is no comparison.

His real gift is his personality and leadership skills. If he weren't a great athlete he'd probably be a great businessman, not only helping people in the inner city like he has, but also setting a great example for business leadership philosophies and practices.

No doubt it's helped him keep his HIV in check. Back in 91 very little research had been done on HIV/AIDS, and with all that ignorance and fear everyone thought Magic would die after a few years. It seems like everything this man touches turns to gold.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
This guy was supposed to be dead in the early 90s. We saw what HIV and AIDS had done to so many people. Literally watching people get skinny and sick and die. That what mostly every one thought at the time of his announcement. I'll never forget that day. Overcast and cloudy all day. No rain. People thought that he would go the same way Rock Hudson went just seven years prior to the announcement. One day Hudson was taking pictures with Reagan and aging nicely, little bit later dude looked just awful.

How bout Eazy E? What, he die about 8-9 months after it came out he was HIV+?

Much respect to Earvin in all areas. He's always had a genius for bringing people together. There was a story from one of his substitute teachers when he was about 11. She said it was her first day of teaching and the class was being unruly and 11-yr old Earvin stood up and got them to shut up for her. His business acumen is also rare among pro sports stars. Just listen to the mass of former athletes from every non-monied background (not just black men from the hood, but whites and women, too) who met financial trouble after retirement; some of em even during their playing days, never learning how to manage money. Earv is probably a billionaire if not close to it.

His role as the figurehead of HIV/AIDS awareness, that he took upon himself, is honorable. Makes the word honorable even sound like a weak description. The courage he had to go on the offensive and not break down emotionally is inspirational to me. His positivity can't be broken. I don't give two S's about him saying the same things that are said here and being slammed for it. He's done enough with his life to overshadow that of nearly all his critics from senile Donald on down to the humble LG n0oBer.

HBD, Earvin!

PS: I peeped Gm 3 of the 91 Finals and a few other 91 playoff gms recently (saw Gm 3 of the GS series today), but he worked Mike and Scottie over BAD in the post. I've never seen any one player able to spin off them for scores with their feet nailed to the ground. Amazing shh. They were uncomfortable every time he got it down there, sent a double at him immediately most times. Mike couldn't stop him down there, with his defense and all. It's preposterous the notion that Magic got "shut down". Tell me any other guy who could withstand the collective defense of Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen for his season averages and in 1:1 situations. No one. He was almost Jordan-proof, which is worthy of a trophy and banner by itself.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Incredible clips of Magic doing his thing. Magic showing why he's the 2nd greatest of all time.

NPZ, yo! N-P-ZEEEE! N Peezy.
fadeaway3
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Happy Birthday Magic. You were the reason I got interested in playing basketball.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: