OFFICIAL JEREMY LIN THREAD....WELCOME TO LINSANITY!! (Attn: New and old posters - Please read message on page 1 before posting)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 193, 194, 195

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qiantom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
Lol what type of discrimination did lin face? Some scouts did not pick him because they were underrating asian players? Oh wow that is real similar to jackie robinson who got death threats and booed constantly while playing professionally. There were baseball players who never accepted Jackie Robinson his whole career because of his race. I don't think there are any players who wouldn't accept jeremy lin because of his race. It's disrespectful to Jackie Robinson to even mention lin in the same sentence. I like lin but man lin fans need to know when to stop getting overzealous with this stuff. It's ridiculous.

Your statement is obviously true and most would agree with you. When it is just one guy making such a comparison though, it is better to simply ignore and let the topic die.
basketofballs
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lol what type of discrimination did lin face? Some scouts did not pick him because they were underrating asian players? Oh wow that is real similar to jackie robinson who got death threats and booed constantly while playing professionally. There were baseball players who never accepted Jackie Robinson his whole career because of his race. I don't think there are any players who wouldn't accept jeremy lin because of his race. It's disrespectful to Jackie Robinson to even mention lin in the same sentence. I like lin but man lin fans need to know when to stop getting overzealous with this stuff. It's ridiculous.

I've been trying to avoid addressing this subject for a while. It is a highly volatile topic. I think their heart is in the right place believing that Lin is an icon that has managed to break through certain stereotypes for Asians. The discrimination that he has faced, while not insignificant, I believe is nothing compared to the trials that Jackie Robinson had to endure.

If we're strictly going by analogy, then sure. Two sports icons who dynamically changed the way people viewed the sport seems like a sure fit. But, to still do it knowingly, even adamantly because you believe Lin deserves to be put on that same pedestal, even after seeing the difference in the times, struggles, and hardship is blatant disrespect for one of America's greatest to play the game of baseball.

I like Lin. I think it's wonderful that he inspires so many and that his journey is one that allows those to hope and dream. While I admit I too have been guilty of being overzealous in my support of sports fandom, I also know when to draw the line. I draw the line here. I think we should avoid calling out Lin fans. We're posting in this thread, so I mean we all have some interest in the guy.
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject:

tomato123 wrote:
Rockets would look stupid by sending out an future all-star for nothing.

But this is too much expectation. I am ok if Lin plays solid and helps the team to win. He probably will make a few teammates play like all-star. LOL.

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
If Lin plays like an all-star that changes the magnitude of the season.... it gives us a reliable scorer and someone you can count on.....

It would be funny thinking they made the same mistake twice by releasing Lin twice.
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
C M B wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
I like Jeremy, but please don't compare him to Jackie Robinson. Not the same ballpark or stratosphere in terms of time and impact.

fergawdsakes....can people not draw analogies? can people not point out similarities? NO ONE is saying jeremy lin is somehow greater or more impactful or (insert superlative) than jackie robinson. but the two of them and their narratives are similar IN WAYS. he is jackie robinson to a lot of people--doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. if he IS that guy to someone, and he inspires some kid to do something that had not been done, then that's all that matters.

Jackie Robinson was the first to break color lines all across the board in a major American sport during a time of civil unrest. Lin is not even the first Asian, nor the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th to ever play in the NBA. To put both in the same sentence is (bleep) asinine.

not asinine at all. lin is the first asian american in the modern NBA game. he's the first to ever do what he did undrafted. he's the first in a lot of ways. and once again, what is asinine is that you don't get that what he REPRESENTS to different people is what matters. you still don't get it, and you never will. there's a reason jackie robinson's name keeps popping up in every discussion board on jeremy lin ever. it's because they were both pioneers in some way. whatever, agree to disagree.

What you don't get is that there's such a huge gap in their respective cultural significance that it's an absolute insult to Robinson's historic impact on American society and all the (bleep) that he went through to even put them in the same breath. And I say this as an Asian American myself, who's been beaming with tremendous pride witnessing Lin's transformitive rise in the NBA, but yet fully understanding that fact.

What you and others don't understand is that analogous does not mean equivalent.

But it's not even analogous when considering history that exists outside of your own perception.

jackie robinson faced discrimination. jeremy lin faced discrimination. analogous, though not equivalent.

What you are saying is totally true except
I don't think there are any players who wouldn't accept jeremy lin because of his race. Stereotypes are stereotypes. One of them is that Asians are smart should be engineers and doctors, not athletes. Not a bad stereotype but still a stereo type. And they exist because people believe them.
Adrenaline
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject:

mnstrdnk wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
C M B wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
I like Jeremy, but please don't compare him to Jackie Robinson. Not the same ballpark or stratosphere in terms of time and impact.

fergawdsakes....can people not draw analogies? can people not point out similarities? NO ONE is saying jeremy lin is somehow greater or more impactful or (insert superlative) than jackie robinson. but the two of them and their narratives are similar IN WAYS. he is jackie robinson to a lot of people--doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. if he IS that guy to someone, and he inspires some kid to do something that had not been done, then that's all that matters.

Jackie Robinson was the first to break color lines all across the board in a major American sport during a time of civil unrest. Lin is not even the first Asian, nor the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th to ever play in the NBA. To put both in the same sentence is (bleep) asinine.

not asinine at all. lin is the first asian american in the modern NBA game. he's the first to ever do what he did undrafted. he's the first in a lot of ways. and once again, what is asinine is that you don't get that what he REPRESENTS to different people is what matters. you still don't get it, and you never will. there's a reason jackie robinson's name keeps popping up in every discussion board on jeremy lin ever. it's because they were both pioneers in some way. whatever, agree to disagree.

What you don't get is that there's such a huge gap in their respective cultural significance that it's an absolute insult to Robinson's historic impact on American society and all the (bleep) that he went through to even put them in the same breath. And I say this as an Asian American myself, who's been beaming with tremendous pride witnessing Lin's transformitive rise in the NBA, but yet fully understanding that fact.

What you and others don't understand is that analogous does not mean equivalent.

But it's not even analogous when considering history that exists outside of your own perception.

jackie robinson faced discrimination. jeremy lin faced discrimination. analogous, though not equivalent.

I don't think there are any players who wouldn't accept jeremy lin because of his race. Stereotypes are stereotypes. One of them is that Asians are smart should be engineers and doctors, not athletes. Not a bad stereotype but still a stereo type. And they exist because people believe them.

^ reminds me of how the Conservative types go after Neil deGrasse Tyson

because of his race, and beliefs

basically implying he got where is because of his color
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
C M B wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:

i said analogous but not equivalent. WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
C M B wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:

a high school player is the MVP of a California state champion team. CALIFORNIA--not vermont, not delaware, not alaska. that player does not get a SINGLE scholarship offer from a D-1 college. NOT ONE.

IS THAT DISCRIMINATION? yes or no?
is it on the LEVEL of discrimination faced by jackie robinson? absolutely not. NO ONE is saying it is.

Jeremy Lin said himself he constantly was harassed with racial epithets EVERYWHERE he went to play in high school and even more so in college (and especially at other IVY LEAGUE schools)--how can you see out of those eyes, ch$nk, g##k, all manner of RACIAL disrespect.

is it on the same level as jackie robinson? No. again for idiots--NO ONE is saying it is.

if you have to say "LOL what kind of discrimination did lin face" that tells me right there that you do not recognize that he faced ANY discrimination, which tells me that you are actually IGNORANT of his story and background. or you simply don't understand the definition of discrimination.
tonman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:

I agree with you on the Jackie Robinson part but you have no idea what discrimination is.

let me put it to you in this concept. I am Asian and only 5'6. Company flag football game. There were no "athletes" out there. A lot of middle aged folks and I was in my mid 30's. they selected 2 captains and the captains started picking players to fill out each team. I was 2nd to last player selected.

next game, new teams were selected. I was the 2nd player selected.

got it now?
PPP
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject:

I wish people would take a look at this vid from 60 minutes from which david stern had his opinion about whether Lin was discriminated (12:43 mark).

Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject:

tonman wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

I agree with you on the Jackie Robinson part but you have no idea what discrimination is.

let me put it to you in this concept. I am Asian and only 5'6. Company flag football game. There were no "athletes" out there. A lot of middle aged folks and I was in my mid 30's. they selected 2 captains and the captains started picking players to fill out each team. I was 2nd to last player selected.

got it now?

I didn't say asian discrimination doesn't matter. It does matter. It's just so ridiculous to put what Jeremy Lin went through or what you went through in the same sentence as Jackie Robinson. Robinson was very well playing for his life at times, and no matter what he did there those who would never accept him just because of his skin color. It's just unnecessary to compare the two because you want to elevate Lin's experience or effect.
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
tonman wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

got it now?

I didn't say asian discrimination doesn't matter. It does matter. It's just so ridiculous to put what Jeremy Lin went through or what you went through in the same sentence as Jackie Robinson. Robinson was very well playing for his life at times, and no matter what he did there those who would never accept him just because of his skin color. It's just unnecessary to compare the two because you want to elevate Lin's experience or effect.

I think it comes down to who you are. Did Robinson endure way more than Lin. Oh hell yeah. An individuals background is going to determine who they can relate to more. It's as simple as that. Just to put this out there, there are African American journalists and NBA players who don't understand the significance of Lin and even go as far as saying this is ridiculous and instead of celebrating an Asian Americans success try to flip it by saying that African American players do this all the time. Or if it was an African American player it wouldn't be a big deal. But that's exactly the point. This is a break through for Asians. That's kind of what the big deal is besides what he accomplished as a player.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject:

mnstrdnk wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
tonman wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

got it now?

I think it comes down to who you are. Did Robinson endure way more than Lin. Oh hell yeah. An individuals background is going to determine who they can relate to more. It's as simple as that. Just to put this out there, there are African American journalists and NBA players who don't understand the significance of Lin and even go as far as saying this is ridiculous and instead of celebrating an Asian Americans success try to flip it by saying that African American players do this all the time. Or if it was an African American player it wouldn't be a big deal. But that's exactly the point. This is a break through for Asians. That's kind of what the big deal is besides what he accomplished as a player.

I get what you're saying but it's still not any where close to Jackie Robinson. Just let Lin have his lane, there is no need to compare him to historical figures. I think even Lin would consider the comparison ridiculous.
cgambino123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject:

I move that we make another thread for this BS "Lin is like Jackie Robinson" discussion.
webattorney
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Hey, I like Neil Tyson guy. Just watched the modern version of Cosmos.

Adrenaline wrote:
mnstrdnk wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
C M B wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:

mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
mnstrdnk wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
tonman wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

got it now?

I get what you're saying but it's still not any where close to Jackie Robinson. Just let Lin have his lane, there is no need to compare him to historical figures. I think even Lin would consider the comparison ridiculous.

Totally. He's more comparable to Obama than Robinson
fadeaway3
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject:

cgambino123 wrote:
I move that we make another thread for this BS "Lin is like Jackie Robinson" discussion.

No. How about we just let this ridiculous die on the vine.
Xtreme
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject:

Jeremy Lin is like Jackie Robinson , Obama, and Bruce Lee combined

Yeah baby!
-Showtime-
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject:

DJ Slik wrote:

a high school player is the MVP of a California state champion team. CALIFORNIA--not vermont, not delaware, not alaska. that player does not get a SINGLE scholarship offer from a D-1 college. NOT ONE.

is it on the LEVEL of discrimination faced by jackie robinson? absolutely not. NO ONE is saying it is.

Jeremy Lin said himself he constantly was harassed with racial epithets EVERYWHERE he went to play in high school and even more so in college (and especially at other IVY LEAGUE schools)--how can you see out of those eyes, ch$nk, g##k, all manner of RACIAL disrespect.

is it on the same level as jackie robinson? No. again for idiots--NO ONE is saying it is.

if you have to say "LOL what kind of discrimination did lin face" that tells me right there that you do not recognize that he faced ANY discrimination, which tells me that you are actually IGNORANT of his story and background. or you simply don't understand the definition of discrimination.

That is an interesting rundown. It seems Lin did feel racism on many levels as he tried to pursue his career in basketball. I find it strange that he did not get a single scholarship from any D-1 college and that can only be discrimination.

It looks like Lin's road to where he is today has been peppered with obstacles. If anything it is groundbreaking and inspiring that an Asian-American can still break new ground in the NBA. It must have taken extreme perseverance when you get disrespected and cut so many times, yet adamantly keep trying to reach your dream. Truly an underdog sports story for the ages.
ginia1110
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject:

a lot of (bleep) discussion really happens during the offseason. LOL.
I wonder if there's an insider in any laker forum on the web.
Would be cool to get some new updates.

R.Hibbert, wearing purple & gold next year = my pipe-dream... Lolz
EnergyOffBench
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject:

Dude is coming into his 5th year. Just let him play and drop the race issue.

Slow summer, but a lot to look forward to after the next couple of months!
-Showtime-
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject:

EnergyOffBench wrote:

I'm sure Lin wished he could, but it dropped him instead multiple times.

Can't wait for the season to start!
Adrenaline
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject:

I think he is one very smart guy... but the stereotypes still exist... plus it dosent help his riling up the southern bible thumping type...with some of the stuff he says about religion

webattorney wrote:
Hey, I like Neil Tyson guy. Just watched the modern version of Cosmos.

Adrenaline wrote:
mnstrdnk wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
C M B wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:

mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject:

-Showtime- wrote:
EnergyOffBench wrote:

I'm sure Lin wished he could, but it dropped him instead multiple times.

Can't wait for the season to start!

Discrimination is a areal thing. Let me remind some of you all.

Named first team all American
He was named first-team All-State and didn't receive any scholarship offers. Not one.

From Hall of Fame Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun
"I've seen a lot of teams come through here, and he could play for any of them. He's got great, great composure on the court. He knows how to play"

After all that, we pretty much understand what he had to overcome in the NBA as well. So today people still doubt his abilities.

It's like every step of the way he's had to overcome to things
not being allowed to prove himself
then proving himself

What a journey. Not from a poor neighborhood or anything like that but still had to endure racism from fans and scouts. Poor mom had to deal with listening and witnessing this as well.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject:

ginia1110 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ginia1110 wrote:
Can we please stop with the Jackie Robinson and Jeremy Lin comparison, its turning into another useless argument.
Making something out of nothing is really....
They're both great/transcendental players and each deserves our respect, IMHO.

ROFL. These posts are like Bynum circa 2008-2010 but around 10,000 times more ludicrous.

I really dont know what's ludicrous in calling Robinson & Lin trancendental players?

Only one of those two players is transcendent. The other I'm hoping to be quality starter.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 193, 194, 195
Page 195 of 195
Jump to: