All Time Laker Disappointments - Players who didn't come through
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sccit
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject:

once more...................

Sccit wrote:
Sccit wrote:
The all-disappointing laker team

Steve Nash...Aaron McKie/Lindsey Hunter
Isiah Rider...Mitch Richmond/George Mccloud
Antawn Jamison...Jim Jackson/Brian Grant
Dennis Rodman...Kwame Brown/Spencer Haywood
Dwight Howard...Benoit Benjamin/JR Reid
nslander32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
nslander32 wrote:

Pretty much. I suspect many of those who gloss over that deal because the team later won a chip with GR are closeted former apologists of Del Harris. Anyone suggesting Phil Jackson would have been unlikely to to have won with Eddie and Elden instead of Glen Rice is being dishonest.

Strawman argument.

Quote:
Also, assuming it was made purely for financial reasons, the org had YEARS to craft a decent deal.

What?!? Says who? It was common knowledge that Elden and Eddie were traded for financial reasons. They were both a season away from free agency. Eddie was a poor performer in the postseason; he sealed his doom when Jeff Hornacek played a decisive role in destroying the Lakers WCF prior to be traded. Eldon played well prior to Shaq's arrival, but crappy afterwards. Hell, Shaq at one point was proclaiming that Mario Bennett was our best PF. You really think the Lakers were going to pay a huge salary for a backup to Shaq? No way in Hades. Had West not found a trading partner, Elden would have eventually walked without so much as a Laker bid.

Acquiring Rice was a good idea on paper. Elden was not worth his contract as a Laker, and he had one foot out the door. Eddie was an All Star and was coming off his rookie contract. We couldn't afford him and he frankly was not producing during the postseason. He was not going to take a substantial discount just to hang in LA, he had to be traded.

It's not a straw argument if it does not misrepresent your position. If it doesn't, it's simply irrelevant to your argument, but not necessarily to others'.

Who says? Well, simple logic. And even you stipulate to the motivation and timing: the fact they were on the last years of their respective contracts is prima facie evidence the org had time to pursue other deals.

It makes little sense to evaluate personnel decisions outside the coaching context. Irrespective of Shaq, Elden was then what he always had been- the somnambulant embodiment of inconsistency. Everyone in the world knew that, but they also realized he had value. That Del Harris was incapable of better exploiting of one of the more effective low-post players in the game was on him. Please do not revisit history and tell me the coach gave it real shot on the floor and it didn’t work. That did not happen – CD. And the fact the org did not act sooner to resolve this obvious incompatibility - one way or the other- was on them. It’s far more motivating to an organization to move players for financial reasons when its team keeps getting swept out of the playoffs.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
George McCloud. Lakers traded Joe Klein, a first and a second round pick for him to try to find someone to stretch the floor for Shaq mid-season. McCloud had averaged 19 points per game the season before in Dallas, and was averaging 14 that year. He played 23 games averaging 4 points and shooting 35% in limited minutes. Became disgruntled and they didn't even put him on the playoff roster.

Wow, I didn't realize the team gave up that much for him. I remember the team getting him and being intrigued, but I don't remember being all that excited.

Jerry West made a lot of trades in the late 90's that look really bad with the benefit of hindsight.
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
George McCloud. Lakers traded Joe Klein, a first and a second round pick for him to try to find someone to stretch the floor for Shaq mid-season. McCloud had averaged 19 points per game the season before in Dallas, and was averaging 14 that year. He played 23 games averaging 4 points and shooting 35% in limited minutes. Became disgruntled and they didn't even put him on the playoff roster.

Wow, I didn't realize the team gave up that much for him. I remember the team getting him and being intrigued, but I don't remember being all that excited.

Jerry West made a lot of trades in the late 90's that look really bad with the benefit of hindsight.

The logo was great, but not perfect. Being a GM is not a science, it's an art. There are so many variables. It's amazing to have the record of dominance for the last 45 years that the Lakers have. We've been blessed.
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Sccit wrote:
once more...................

Sccit wrote:
Sccit wrote:
The all-disappointing laker team

Steve Nash...Aaron McKie/Lindsey Hunter
Isiah Rider...Mitch Richmond/George Mccloud
Antawn Jamison...Jim Jackson/Brian Grant
Dennis Rodman...Kwame Brown/Spencer Haywood
Dwight Howard...Benoit Benjamin/JR Reid

Oh . . . McCloud! I thought you said Mccloud.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

McCloud wasn't much more than a 3 pt chucker and he was fresh off that Mavs team that, in 96, set a league record for 3pts attempted. When he got here, he had to work for his looks. He didn't have a green light. That could be what screwed him up. That dynamic even bothered a player as good as Rice, going from Option 1A to Option 3 overnight. Not every player can do that, even the good'ns.
Trevacious
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Threatt was terrific, it just saddens me to no end that he didn't get to join the Lakers team he was intended to join and play with Magic.

Aaron McKie - I never did quite understand, just what was wrong with him physically over those two seasons that kept him out of so many games? Was he done from the moment he arrived?
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject:

japanesebeef1 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

The logo was great, but not perfect. Being a GM is not a science, it's an art. There are so many variables. It's amazing to have the record of dominance for the last 45 years that the Lakers have. We've been blessed.

QFT
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12
Jump to: