Advice for my trip to LA

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LG Neighborhood Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheJMan24
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject: Advice for my trip to LA

Hey guys.

In the process of trying to plan a trip to LA early next year to see my beloved Lakers for the first time & just thought I'd throw this out there to u guys to try and get some expert advice!!

Flights from England look good & are easy enough but I have no idea where to stay so would welcome any advice from you guys. I know the Staples Center is in downtown LA so would u recommend staying there or somewhere else??

Planning on maybe 5 or 6 nights & just want to see as much as I can really. Will have to do the Hollywood thing & fancy checking out a few nice beaches so will probably have to hire a car I think as i do want to go to Long Beach as I am a Speedway fan & it's quite an iconic place for me.

Just looking at the schedule so I can come & see more than 1 home game & there's a good run in mid Jan, end of Jan & end of Feb 15. Presume the weather would be better in February although not sure what kind of temperature it would be at that time of year??

Any recommendations from u guys would be much appreciated as u know your own area & where is best & where I should maybe avoid??

Thanks for reading & Go Lakers 🏀🇺🇸
The Predator
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for my trip to LA

TheJMan24 wrote:
Hey guys.

In the process of trying to plan a trip to LA early next year to see my beloved Lakers for the first time & just thought I'd throw this out there to u guys to try and get some expert advice!!

Flights from England look good & are easy enough but I have no idea where to stay so would welcome any advice from you guys. I know the Staples Center is in downtown LA so would u recommend staying there or somewhere else??

Planning on maybe 5 or 6 nights & just want to see as much as I can really. Will have to do the Hollywood thing & fancy checking out a few nice beaches so will probably have to hire a car I think as i do want to go to Long Beach as I am a Speedway fan & it's quite an iconic place for me.

Just looking at the schedule so I can come & see more than 1 home game & there's a good run in mid Jan, end of Jan & end of Feb 15. Presume the weather would be better in February although not sure what kind of temperature it would be at that time of year??

Any recommendations from u guys would be much appreciated as u know your own area & where is best & where I should maybe avoid??

IMO there isn't tons to see in downtown though they are fixing that up. There's some good bars there and some more crowded ones like the Edison. Good thing though is that downtown is next to Little Tokyo and Chinatown where you can get some good eats. I'm a fan of Hop Woo in Chinatown. Daikokuya in Little Tokyo is awesome Ramen. You're also a hop and a skip away from Dodger Stadium there. You can actually take a drive up a side route and overlook the stadium from the hills behind it.

You're definitely going to want to rent a car as LA isn't really a city that's built that well for public transit, although there are some places you can reach that will alleviate that. For instance, Hollywood you can reach via the subway. Same with Universal Studios and save yourself a drive and a $20 parking spot.

Long Beach is roughly 45mins south of LA so you will likely need a car for that as well. Just remember, not all parts of Long Beach are that nice. Also, if you are planning on seeing some beaches, unless you really wanna see Venice which is okay as a tourist, go to another beach like Hermosa or take a drive up PCH.

John Wooden
TheJMan24
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for my trip to LA

The Predator wrote:
TheJMan24 wrote:
Hey guys.

IMO there isn't tons to see in downtown though they are fixing that up. There's some good bars there and some more crowded ones like the Edison. Good thing though is that downtown is next to Little Tokyo and Chinatown where you can get some good eats. I'm a fan of Hop Woo in Chinatown. Daikokuya in Little Tokyo is awesome Ramen. You're also a hop and a skip away from Dodger Stadium there. You can actually take a drive up a side route and overlook the stadium from the hills behind it.

You're definitely going to want to rent a car as LA isn't really a city that's built that well for public transit, although there are some places you can reach that will alleviate that. For instance, Hollywood you can reach via the subway. Same with Universal Studios and save yourself a drive and a $20 parking spot.

Long Beach is roughly 45mins south of LA so you will likely need a car for that as well. Just remember, not all parts of Long Beach are that nice. Also, if you are planning on seeing some beaches, unless you really wanna see Venice which is okay as a tourist, go to another beach like Hermosa or take a drive up PCH.

Nice one mate, thanks very much for some good advice.

Will try & save some pennies now & make sure I have something to look forward to in January.

Not sure on best way to get tickets for the games but will look to sort that out once I have enough money to book my flights & hotel!!!

Can't wait for the new season now, hope to see more of our games on the UK coverage this year!!!!
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject:

You don't need a car to go to Long Beach. The Blue Line subway takes you from Downtown L.A. all the way to Downtown Long Beach.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject:

The best thing about LA is the weather and the beach communities which are about 15 miles from downtown LA. From the weirdo beach Santa Monica/Venice to Manhattan. There are plenty more beaches in between and beyond in both directions. One of LA restaurants that is very close to Staples and serves 24hours a day is the famous Pantry. Its is basically a steak house that is very informal and you might be asked to share a table with total strangers, it's a fun place to eat. Want a greasy chilly burger that has huge slices of tomato plenty of pickle and onions and is just a hamburger stand then try Tommy's Burgers which is downtown as well.

LA basically sucks except for the main attractions, Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Magic Mountain and right in downtown, Universal Studios, which is basically a demonstration of movie making. Lots of things to do for the tourist, the people and the traffic are not LA strong points.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LG Neighborhood All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: