AP Source: Marion to sign with Cavaliers (Yahoo Sports)

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronnyjeremy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: AP Source: Marion to sign with Cavaliers (Yahoo Sports)

Quote:
CLEVELAND (AP) -- Shawn Marion wanted another shot at an NBA title. He'll get it playing with LeBron James.

The free agent forward has agreed to a contract with the Cavaliers, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press on Sunday. The 36-year-old Marion informed the Cavs this weekend that he will take a minimum deal and play for them next season, said the person who spoke condition of anonymity because the contract has not been finalized.

Marion also had interest in signing with the Indiana Pacers, who is looking for help after losing Paul George for the season with a broken leg.

ESPN.com first reported Marion's agreement with the Cavs.

A four-time All-Star, Marion gives Cleveland another veteran with postseason experience to compliment James, who is returning to the Cavs intent on winning the city's first pro championship since 1964. The team has previously signed shooters Mike Miller and James Jones, who won two NBA titles with James in Miami.

Cleveland is also on the brink of adding All-Star forward Kevin Love, who is expected to come over from Minnesota in a trade on or after Aug. 23. While Love gives the Cavs size, another shooter and an excellent passer, he has never played in a postseason game as a pro.

Marion, on the other hand, has played in 103 NBA playoff games. He won a title as a role player with Dallas in 2011 and spent the past five seasons with the Mavericks.

Considered a strong defensive player, he's averaged 15.8 points and 9.0 rebounds during his career, which began with Phoenix in 1999. Marion was with the Suns for nine-plus seasons and worked with Cavs general manager David Griffin.

(Bleep) ring chaser.
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: AP Source: Marion to sign with Cavaliers (Yahoo Sports)

ronnyjeremy wrote:
Quote:
CLEVELAND (AP) -- Shawn Marion wanted another shot at an NBA title. He'll get it playing with LeBron James.

The free agent forward has agreed to a contract with the Cavaliers, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press on Sunday. The 36-year-old Marion informed the Cavs this weekend that he will take a minimum deal and play for them next season, said the person who spoke condition of anonymity because the contract has not been finalized.

Marion also had interest in signing with the Indiana Pacers, who is looking for help after losing Paul George for the season with a broken leg.

ESPN.com first reported Marion's agreement with the Cavs.

A four-time All-Star, Marion gives Cleveland another veteran with postseason experience to compliment James, who is returning to the Cavs intent on winning the city's first pro championship since 1964. The team has previously signed shooters Mike Miller and James Jones, who won two NBA titles with James in Miami.

Cleveland is also on the brink of adding All-Star forward Kevin Love, who is expected to come over from Minnesota in a trade on or after Aug. 23. While Love gives the Cavs size, another shooter and an excellent passer, he has never played in a postseason game as a pro.

Marion, on the other hand, has played in 103 NBA playoff games. He won a title as a role player with Dallas in 2011 and spent the past five seasons with the Mavericks.

Considered a strong defensive player, he's averaged 15.8 points and 9.0 rebounds during his career, which began with Phoenix in 1999. Marion was with the Suns for nine-plus seasons and worked with Cavs general manager David Griffin.

(Bleep) ring chaser.

He's old and knows he doesn't have much time left. He has made his money and prioritizes perhaps his last shot at winning a title over more playing time and more money, and so he made a career decision that reflects that.

What's wrong with that?
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject:

((OFFENSIVE SLUR REMOVED. DON'T BRING THAT TYPE OF LANGUAGE TO THIS FORUM. EVER. - JMK))
improper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject:

Good depth signing for the Cavs. Marion is still a solid role-player, and he'll allow LeBron to play less minutes and can also function in a Shane Battier role with LeBron on the court.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject:

Marion is the type of player they needed. hopefully his penchant for being a lockerroom diva will hurt the team. But solid defender even at his age.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject:

It is called free agency for a reason, he is free to sign wherever he wants.
thejet24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject:

I ask again...

Why take less money to play with a guy who just lost an NBA finals by a record margin?

This whole argument about the best chance to win a title is true to a certain extended, but seeing all these guys flock to CLE is getting ridiculous.

Think about this...these guys are trying to become LeBron's new Ray Allen and if it wasn't for Ray Allen, would these guys even want to play with LeBron right now?
improper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject:

thejet24 wrote:
I ask again...

Why take less money to play with a guy who just lost an NBA finals by a record margin?

This whole argument about the best chance to win a title is true to a certain extended, but seeing all these guys flock to CLE is getting ridiculous.

Think about this...these guys are trying to become LeBron's new Ray Allen and if it wasn't for Ray Allen, would these guys even want to play with LeBron right now?

Probably because they realize that LeBron wasn't the reason Miami lost by a record margin. He was the only one who did show up. It was basically the opposite of the 2011 Finals when LeBron pulled the choke job. This time, it was on Wade and Bosh.

And let's face it...at this point in their respective careers, Irving and Love are substantial upgrades over Wade and Bosh. Plus, the supporting cast is better in Cleveland with Varejao, Waiters, Thompson, and Dellavedova, and that was before the various veteran signings. Varejao, Waiters, and Thompson would all have been the fourth best player on the Heat last year. Probably Dellavedova too, to be honest.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject:

thejet24 wrote:
I ask again...

Sure you could ask that if you only want to focus on the negative aspects. One could just as easily ask why anyone would want to play with a two-time champion and two-time Finals MVP as well.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject:

I sure wish he'd come to the Lakers instead. We'd instantly have upgraded the small forward slot with him, and we'd have added a new second or third best player of the roster. That change could make enough difference to me so as make the prospects for watching this season's actual game action seem tolerable.
mastersworddude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Jackobe wrote:
((REMOVED-JMK))

Surprised you weren't banned for bypassing the filter.

((HE GOT 2 WEEKS OFF FOR THAT SLUR - JMK))
mastersworddude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject:

thejet24 wrote:
I ask again...

Because he's the best player in the game? He doesn't become a scrub just because his team lost.
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Stuff like this makes me hate the NBA.

And Ray Allen is still pretending as if his mind isn't already made up. So by the time the season starts Lebron will have Kevin Love, Shawn Marion, Ray Allen, Mike Miller, and James Jones to go along with Kyrie Irving, Dion Waiters, and Anderson Varejao.
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject:

SDLakersFan wrote:

And Ray Allen is still pretending as if his mind isn't already made up. So by the time the season starts Lebron will have Kevin Love, Shawn Marion, Ray Allen, Mike Miller, and James Jones to go along with Kyrie Irving, Dion Waiters, and Anderson Varejao.

Man, I wish I put money on Cleveland in Vegas before all of this went down.
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject:

SDLakersFan wrote:

James is the best GM in sports.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Lakersneuron wrote:
SDLakersFan wrote:

Eh. Love and Irving are both injury prone and LeBron is a known choker.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: AP Source: Marion to sign with Cavaliers (Yahoo Sports)

ronnyjeremy wrote:

(Bleep) ring chaser.

Shrug. He's a free agent. He's either going to be chasing a ring or chasing money.
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
SDLakersFan wrote:

James is the best GM in sports.

Don't forget Tristan Thompson!
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject:

Irving/Lucas III
Waiters/Allen/Miller
LeBron/Marion/Jones
Love/Thompson
Varejao/Haywood

USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Lakersneuron wrote:
SDLakersFan wrote:

Be glad you didn't.

Put the money on SA, OKC or Chicago.

Last edited by USCandLakers on Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject:

krisobe wrote:
Irving/Lucas III
Waiters/Allen/Miller
LeBron/Marion/Jones
Love/Thompson
Varejao/Haywood

Instead of losing 4-1 to SA, that team loses 4-0.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: