Bynum wants min to play with Lakers, should Mitch do it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject:

yeah i would stay away from Bynum. His lack of maturity is almost of troubling as his knees. Look at it this way. The kid had Kareem working with him one on one, Grew up with Phi Jackson as a HC, and Had kobe and a stable of good veteran leadership to learn from all those years, and he is still a mental midget....
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
mastersworddude wrote:
I don't understand the infatuation with Bynum here.

I don't think there's an infatuation here at all. Someone started a thread. People are bored. We're commenting on it. I doubt highly that anyone's losing sleep over whether we're going to bring him into training camp or not.

Bynum or not, but the absence of a proper C is something over which Mitch should lose his sleep.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject:

s_habe wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
mastersworddude wrote:

I don't think there's an infatuation here at all. Someone started a thread. People are bored. We're commenting on it. I doubt highly that anyone's losing sleep over whether we're going to bring him into training camp or not.

Bynum or not, but the absence of a proper C is something over which Mitch should lose his sleep.

True. But the fact that there are not a lot of real centers on all the other teams might let him sleep pretty well.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject:

malicious_intent wrote:
So you guys like Bynum eh....well I only have two words for you, Karl Towns. The kid is legit, and he will be a game changed the moment he steps foot in the NBA. Remember the impact Bynum used to have when healthy? Do you remember how he was able to dominate both ends of the floor? That is what Karl Towns will bring to the table, and get this...he has range out to the 3 point line. I remember him from the 2012 Olympics, he was like a 16 year old kid competing against team USA and handled himself very well against Anthony Davis. From what I remember he blocked Davis, Westbrook and even drained a 3 in limited minutes.

I really want this kid in purple and gold. I would take him #1 overall and this draft has several viable options with the number 1 pick.

So many great clips of this kid on YouTube. And the best part is he's not disguising his talent with mix tapes.

I don't think we can invite him to camp.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject:

If Bynum can play... even just 20 minutes a game... the Lakers would be stupid not to get him for the cheap money he now commands.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
s_habe wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
mastersworddude wrote:

True. But the fact that there are not a lot of real centers on all the other teams might let him sleep pretty well.

Unfortunately, this good sleep will keep Lakers at mediocrity.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
s_habe wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
mastersworddude wrote:

There are gonna be a lot of problems for the lakers in the west due to them not having a true center. When we match up
Against Deandre, Dwight, Duncan, Aldridge just to name a few lakers are gonna be undersized and struggle to contain those players with one on one coverage
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject:

M2K wrote:
If Bynum can play... even just 20 minutes a game... the Lakers would be stupid not to get him for the cheap money he now commands.

And thats why the Lakers are not stupid.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Lakers 71-72 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Lakers 71-72 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Lakers 71-72 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
s_habe wrote:
ADA32 wrote:

So why waste a chance on trying a new player?

Again, plase name that new player!

There is nobody else there wiating for a call!

Bynum does not take away anything from anybody. Why not try him out?

Why not just sign some young player instead? There are lots of guys who went undrafted that have more heart than Bynum. There are plenty of guys who would be thrilled to get a call.

And Bynum is a much higher risk than people are saying. I'll go as far as saying the guy is a locker room cancer. He also makes it easier for players to ignore the coach because he will do things that are not in the gameplan, get benched, laugh and have a great time on the bench, and then tell the media that he isn't going to do what the coach says.

He is also lazy and when you have lazy guys in the locker room, that's always a bad thing. Plus he has no heart. When a team is a big underdog, those are the last things it needs.

Because lazy guys work themselves into top NBA shape for the draft and then work themselves back from injury after injury? Kwame was lazy, he routinely missed rehab sessions, Bynum worked his butt off to get back on the court. As a Laker, lazy is a poor term to describe Bynum.

Where is your proof that he worked himself into "top NBA shape" for the draft? That sounds like it was made up. The guy was still a teenager.

So he worked himself back from injury. So what? I'm supposed to be impressed because Kwame was even worse?

If one of the most impressive claims you can muster up is "He did this better than Kwame Brown," then that speaks volumes.

Look at his 300lbs+ stature during the McDonald's High School All Star game and his 260lbs. draft day physique.

I guess he lazily lost 40lbs. in just over a couple of months.

What was he doing being so heavy in the first place?

Your original point makes this last question irrelevant.

It does no such thing. Losing 40 pounds doesn't show that he was in "top NBA shape." It means he got into much better shape. That's not the same thing. Are we supposed to be impressed because he was like a student that procrastinated before he put in some effort? Even Shaq had his moments when he lost weight and got into better shape. I still think Shaq was lazy.

All of this faith people have in Bynum is unbelievable. If the guy had the same mentality as Kobe it would be one thing, but does anyone think he is anywhere near that?

I think I'd have more faith in Odom right now and I don't have much faith in Lamar either.

You conceded my point when you didn't directly refute the 40lbs. weight loss. It did happen. You can't deny it.

Yes it happened. But so what!? I was responding to a post earlier that said he worked himself into top NBA shape. I can't just assume he was in top NBA shape because he procrastinated and then lost a bunch of weight. Was he in top NBA shape after losing that weight? Was he still fat? I don't know because nobody wants to answer that.

And you also can't deny that he needed to lose 40 pounds in the first place, which does make him seem more lazy. You can't have your cake and eat it too. You have to keep in mind that he did lose that weight, but he also had to gain that weight before he lost it. Am I supposed to be impressed?

Yes, losing that weight does count for something. But whats wrong with asking for more details? Also, you clearly moved the goalposts as I was asking how we are supposed to know that he was in top NBA shape.

Quote:
But all you offer is Bynum is done because you say so.

No, I offered specific reasons why I think he is done. For example, I said he failed with his last 3 teams. That's not something that I just completely made up. That's a fact whether I said so or not. If Bynum was a success on even one of those teams (especially one of his last two), then my opinion would be different.

Quote:
I've asked earlier if anyone can tell the specific details as to why Bynum's not healthy enough to play. All I get are generalizations.

It's not just about health. There are other questions to ask. What are the chances that he will stay healthy? Will he work hard? Will be be a cancer in the locker room? Will he play well? Will he listen to the coaches? Etc.

Also, while knowing the specific details would help, even without knowing them it's very reasonable to assume he is done because of his history. I don't know the specific details about Lamar Odom and I'm sure he is done too. Am I being pessimistic about Odom?

Quote:
What pattern you are demonstrating is that you've chosen to dismiss any counter example to your point.

Quote:
Dude, it's okay if you don't like or respect Bynum. But that chosen attitude isn't the touchstone on whether he can play.

Quote:
And you've backed yourself in to the corner of absolutes.

Quote:
Taking an absolute position means it is backed by absolute certitude.

Quote:

Quote:
Fine, but people don't have to agree. In fact no one should when you fail to meet any criterion for persuasion.

I'm disappointed that this is the extent of most of your response to me. You are clearly implying that I am being a moron. Maybe that's what you would consider a good example of persuasuon. Just insult the other person while offering very little of anything else. Personally, I'd prefer that someone actually show me that I'm wrong instead of getting upset and throwing out passive-aggressive insults. I think that is really childish on your part.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject:

M2K wrote:

This. I have a feeling the lakers will sign Bynum around January-Feb 2015 once they can confirm his knee would hold up for the rest of this season.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject:

non guaranteed contract. that'll keep his behavior good.. keep him in check.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
M2K wrote:

This. I have a feeling the lakers will sign Bynum around January-Feb 2015 once they can confirm his knee would hold up for the rest of this season.

By some miracle of nature, lets suppose that Bynum is healthy enough to play.

Why would he sign for the Lakers for the vet min? He would have his choice of several teams that could pay him the vet min. Or sign for more with another "hopeful" like the Lakers.
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
M2K wrote:

By some miracle of nature, lets suppose that Bynum is healthy enough to play.

Why would he sign for the Lakers for the vet min? He would have his choice of several teams that could pay him the vet min. Or sign for more with another "hopeful" like the Lakers.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the title of the thread that Bynum wants back with the Lakers, and would be amenable to the min? If true, that answers your question right there.
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
non guaranteed contract. that'll keep his behavior good.. keep him in check.

LOL@ a non guaranteed minimum contract keeping him on his best behavior.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject:

Seems like folks are getting mighty worked up over some mindless speculation.
singlecamVTEC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
M2K wrote:

Lol, one of the biggest IF's ever. Bynum's here to get a paycheck. He's checked out of the game a long time ago. See ya Drew.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:

Shut up. u dont know wat ur talking about.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject:

I thought you were better than that Hector.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Hector is a poo pop head.
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Lakers 71-72 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Lakers 71-72 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Lakers 71-72 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
s_habe wrote:
ADA32 wrote:

So why waste a chance on trying a new player?

Again, plase name that new player!

There is nobody else there wiating for a call!

Bynum does not take away anything from anybody. Why not try him out?

Why not just sign some young player instead? There are lots of guys who went undrafted that have more heart than Bynum. There are plenty of guys who would be thrilled to get a call.

And Bynum is a much higher risk than people are saying. I'll go as far as saying the guy is a locker room cancer. He also makes it easier for players to ignore the coach because he will do things that are not in the gameplan, get benched, laugh and have a great time on the bench, and then tell the media that he isn't going to do what the coach says.

He is also lazy and when you have lazy guys in the locker room, that's always a bad thing. Plus he has no heart. When a team is a big underdog, those are the last things it needs.

Because lazy guys work themselves into top NBA shape for the draft and then work themselves back from injury after injury? Kwame was lazy, he routinely missed rehab sessions, Bynum worked his butt off to get back on the court. As a Laker, lazy is a poor term to describe Bynum.

Where is your proof that he worked himself into "top NBA shape" for the draft? That sounds like it was made up. The guy was still a teenager.

So he worked himself back from injury. So what? I'm supposed to be impressed because Kwame was even worse?

If one of the most impressive claims you can muster up is "He did this better than Kwame Brown," then that speaks volumes.

Look at his 300lbs+ stature during the McDonald's High School All Star game and his 260lbs. draft day physique.

I guess he lazily lost 40lbs. in just over a couple of months.

What was he doing being so heavy in the first place?

Your original point makes this last question irrelevant.

It does no such thing. Losing 40 pounds doesn't show that he was in "top NBA shape." It means he got into much better shape. That's not the same thing. Are we supposed to be impressed because he was like a student that procrastinated before he put in some effort? Even Shaq had his moments when he lost weight and got into better shape. I still think Shaq was lazy.

All of this faith people have in Bynum is unbelievable. If the guy had the same mentality as Kobe it would be one thing, but does anyone think he is anywhere near that?

I think I'd have more faith in Odom right now and I don't have much faith in Lamar either.

You conceded my point when you didn't directly refute the 40lbs. weight loss. It did happen. You can't deny it.

Yes it happened. But so what!? I was responding to a post earlier that said he worked himself into top NBA shape. I can't just assume he was in top NBA shape because he procrastinated and then lost a bunch of weight. Was he in top NBA shape after losing that weight? Was he still fat? I don't know because nobody wants to answer that.

And you also can't deny that he needed to lose 40 pounds in the first place, which does make him seem more lazy. You can't have your cake and eat it too. You have to keep in mind that he did lose that weight, but he also had to gain that weight before he lost it. Am I supposed to be impressed?

Yes, losing that weight does count for something. But whats wrong with asking for more details? Also, you clearly moved the goalposts as I was asking how we are supposed to know that he was in top NBA shape.

Quote:

No, I offered specific reasons why I think he is done. For example, I said he failed with his last 3 teams. That's not something that I just completely made up. That's a fact whether I said so or not. If Bynum was a success on even one of those teams (especially one of his last two), then my opinion would be different.

Quote:
I've asked earlier if anyone can tell the specific details as to why Bynum's not healthy enough to play. All I get are generalizations.

It's not just about health. There are other questions to ask. What are the chances that he will stay healthy? Will he work hard? Will be be a cancer in the locker room? Will he play well? Will he listen to the coaches? Etc.

Also, while knowing the specific details would help, even without knowing them it's very reasonable to assume he is done because of his history. I don't know the specific details about Lamar Odom and I'm sure he is done too. Am I being pessimistic about Odom?

Quote:
What pattern you are demonstrating is that you've chosen to dismiss any counter example to your point.

Quote:
Dude, it's okay if you don't like or respect Bynum. But that chosen attitude isn't the touchstone on whether he can play.

Quote:
And you've backed yourself in to the corner of absolutes.

Quote:
Taking an absolute position means it is backed by absolute certitude.

Quote:

Quote:
Fine, but people don't have to agree. In fact no one should when you fail to meet any criterion for persuasion.

I'm disappointed that this is the extent of most of your response to me. You are clearly implying that I am being a moron. Maybe that's what you would consider a good example of persuasuon. Just insult the other person while offering very little of anything else. Personally, I'd prefer that someone actually show me that I'm wrong instead of getting upset and throwing out passive-aggressive insults. I think that is really childish on your part.

There's nothing passive aggressive in my challenge to your position. You conceded Bynum had the work ethic to drop 40 lbs. -1 point for you. You are not claiming Bynum has health problems. -1 point for you. You claim he's quit on the last few teams he's played on. +1 for you.

Still on top of you point total...even if it were in the positive...all people are wanting is for Bynum to be signed to a minimum contract and to be given a shot to help the Lakers, not Bynum. Some people will even put out the stipulation to make sure the contract is not guaranteed.

And you dismiss this low risk/higher upside proposition basically because you don't like Bynum.

You cannot even read into the situation. Your complaint that Bynum lacks motivation but he asks for the minimum and there's only one team he's asked to play for. One could think he's motivated to play for the Lakers rather than assume he is lazy.

If you can't take criticism of your ideas; if you identify yourself too closely with what you think, maybe you should step away from how you think you're perceived and focus on the product of your mind. I don't know you and you're probably a good person. But just because you're a stranger doesn't mean I have to let your ideas go unchallenged when I think they characterize the situation poorly.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
Hector is a poo pop head.

u r doodie
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Hector really is Dolan

!...
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:

Because there is nothing else and nobody else to talk about (almost).

And because there is a serious shortcoming at C for the Lakers.

And because Bynum is still our own guy. Kind of like a lost son.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Lakers 71-72 wrote:

Still on top of you point total...even if it were in the positive...all people are wanting is for Bynum to be signed to a minimum contract and to be given a shot to help the Lakers, not Bynum. Some people will even put out the stipulation to make sure the contract is not guaranteed.

And you dismiss this low risk/higher upside proposition basically because you don't like Bynum.

I do? Where is my post saying that I take my position on Bynum in this thread because I don't like him? Can you find a quote from me where I said that? You can't because I didn't say that. Fwiw, a year ago I would have said the team should definitely take a look at Bynum. I thought he would play a lot better in Cleveland and even be at least somewhat successful there.

If I seem passionate about this subject, it's because I'm passionate about my team and don't want to see them make a mistake. I've felt a similar way about Lamar Odom when similar threads came up about the possibility of getting him and I was strongly opposed to it despite the fact that I heard a lot of the same arguments (like he was low risk and high reward, that he loved LA, that people like Kobe would have a strong influence in him, etc.).

The truth is that I enjoyed watching Bynum play when he was a Laker. I was rooting for him to succeed on every team that he was on after he left LA. But I really do think his best days are behind him and I find it very alarming that even though he was playing with the Cavs, that they decided they didn't want him on the team at all anymore. And that was with a coach that helped him succeed in 2010. I do think he can hurt the team though with his attitude. He also has such a huge problem staying healthy that it's a major concern. After last season, the last thing this team needs is more injuries.

Quote:
You cannot even read into the situation. Your complaint that Bynum lacks motivation but he asks for the minimum and there's only one team he's asked to play for. One could think he's motivated to play for the Lakers rather than assume he is lazy.

If he isn't lazy I think even that would be a concern because it raises the question of why he didn't succeed in Cleveland and Indiana. And why assume he is motivated? Do you assume that because he once lost 40 pounds? He had more to get motivated about back then. He was just trying to make the NBA for the first time and had never made a lot of money. Today, he has already accomplished all that and has even won 2 championships. I'd question whether he has as much to work for these days.
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Lakers 71-72 wrote:

I do? Where is my post saying that I take my position on Bynum in this thread because I don't like him? Can you find a quote from me where I said that? You can't because I didn't say that. Fwiw, a year ago I would have said the team should definitely take a look at Bynum. I thought he would play a lot better in Cleveland and even be at least somewhat successful there.

If I seem passionate about this subject, it's because I'm passionate about my team and don't want to see them make a mistake. I've felt a similar way about Lamar Odom when similar threads came up about the possibility of getting him and I was strongly opposed to it despite the fact that I heard a lot of the same arguments (like he was low risk and high reward, that he loved LA, that people like Kobe would have a strong influence in him, etc.).

The truth is that I enjoyed watching Bynum play when he was a Laker. I was rooting for him to succeed on every team that he was on after he left LA. But I really do think his best days are behind him and I find it very alarming that even though he was playing with the Cavs, that they decided they didn't want him on the team at all anymore. And that was with a coach that helped him succeed in 2010. I do think he can hurt the team though with his attitude. He also has such a huge problem staying healthy that it's a major concern. After last season, the last thing this team needs is more injuries.

Quote:

If he isn't lazy I think even that would be a concern because it raises the question of why he didn't succeed in Cleveland and Indiana. And why assume he is motivated? Do you assume that because he once lost 40 pounds? He had more to get motivated about back then. He was just trying to make the NBA for the first time and had never made a lot of money. Today, he has already accomplished all that and has even won 2 championships. I'd question whether he has as much to work for these days.

I understand your concerns and I would be concerned if he were offered a multi year, cap cramping contract. He's not.

I would be worried about his attitude if the Lakers had a push over for a coach. Byron can literally kick his butt.

I would be concerned if the Lakers had a ton of empty headed young players that would fall under his spell. Maybe there's a couple. But Kobe doesn't have time to waste. We saw Kobe give Mike Brown the evil eye and days later Brown was fired. With a non-guaranteed contract, I can't see it taking Kobe too long to flash the scowl resulting in Bynum's departure.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11
Jump to: