GM (anonymous) Says Kobe Bryants Trade Value is *Zero*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject:

Hoop_Knowledge wrote:
ronnyjeremy wrote:
alexjlake_gr8t wrote:
ronnyjeremy wrote:
He's right. The most stupidest contract out there.

Please explain your statement. You cant support "We take care of our own" and say this is stupid. When was the last time you turned down a raise or didnt pay yourself more(bus owner) just because Other's thought you should take less? Dont forget, he actually could have taken more.
Quote:
The most stupidest contract
is still ongoing and that belongs to Joe Johnson at $23.1 this season and $24.3 the following. That my good sir is stupidity at its finest.

The NBA is a business, it was a great deal for Kobe. But I root for the Lakers organization as a whole, not just Kobe. You don't pay a 36 year old who missed close to two seasons the most in the league.

When did Kobe miss close to two seasons?

I think what he meant was: You don't pay a 45 year old man 50 million a year when he has missed 5 years due to 5 career ending injuries!!!
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject:

thejet24 wrote:
ronnyjeremy wrote:
alexjlake_gr8t wrote:
ronnyjeremy wrote:

Please explain your statement. You cant support "We take care of our own" and say this is stupid. When was the last time you turned down a raise or didnt pay yourself more(bus owner) just because Other's thought you should take less? Dont forget, he actually could have taken more.
Quote:
is still ongoing and that belongs to Joe Johnson at $23.1 this season and $24.3 the following. That my good sir is stupidity at its finest.

The NBA is a business, it was a great deal for Kobe. But I root for the Lakers organization as a whole, not just Kobe. You don't pay a 36 year old who missed close to two seasons the most in the league.

You were probably one of the millions who has rooted for the Lakers the last 19 years, enjoying 7 championship runs, 5 titles and countless of amazing games on the shoulders of Kobe Bryant.

And you were probably one of the millions who still rooted for the Lakers when they brought back Magic Johnson after a life-threathing disease derailed the team for a decade.

Unfortunantly, too many people today do not value loyalty over business.

Sports is entertainment, and even at 36, Kobe has entertainment value 99.99% of the league cannot match.

And have to be honest, as much as I love winning, I value teams that value their players. I do NOT want to see franchise players dumped in the twilight of their careers. Would rather find a way to utilize their talents and keep them in the culture.
King beef
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject:

If Kobe shows he could still play, I could see a GM trading 24 million dollars worth of trash for Kobe. But that raises a bigger question, "Can Kobe still play?"

This is where I think that 24 million/year contract is a bigger weight on Kobe than on anyone else. 24 million/year for a 36 year old player coming off two season ending surgeries is PRESSURE. If KObe is not producing or playing, that 24 million/year will push Kobe more than his body might like. I personally think the last year where Kobe made 30million/year pushed Kobe to play when he really shouldve taken the year off IMHO.

I dont like Kobe's contract, but if Kobe could play at an efficient 23ppg/5apg/5rpg rate, his star power could absolutely entice a lazy management team (i.e. the Lakers) who arent trying to win now, but simply "put butts in seats".
PostMalone24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject:

So If Kobe is scoring 24 PPG while still being one the best Clutch shooters you're going to tell me his trade value is going to still be 0?
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject:

Floyd24NDLAL wrote:
So If Kobe is scoring 24 PPG while still being one the best Clutch shooters you're going to tell me his trade value is going to still be 0?

Sure but are you so sure Kobe will be averaging 24/5/5? Would you have paid Jordan 24 mil had he popped his achilles in 98?
King beef
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject:

Floyd24NDLAL wrote:

Agreed. Kobe still has value, but the Lakers arent going to get anything of value for him, not at 36 and 24 mil/per year.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject:

This is a great example of how the lakers with kobe bryant have been taking low blows for over a decade.

Some people here have access dont you? How about asking a second question for me...

"would you trade your last 17 years for $(insert kobes total career pay), the best player in the game over that time, 5 rings AND $(insert the lakers total revenue over those years)?"

the writer's just as bad for publishing this nonsense.

if kobe didn't get injured, it's pretty amazing he willed us into the playoffs 2 years before retiring (which he would have done by now).
ppineda
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject:

AshesToAshes wrote:
This is a great example of how the lakers with kobe bryant have been taking low blows for over a decade.

Some people here have access dont you? How about asking a second question for me...

"would you trade your last 17 years for $(insert kobes total career pay), the best player in the game over that time, 5 rings AND $(insert the lakers total revenue over those years)?"

the writer's just as bad for publishing this nonsense.

if kobe didn't get injured, it's pretty amazing he willed us into the playoffs 2 years before retiring (which he would have done by now).

Why? Because this article is right? Kobe has a zero trade value, because you can't trade for him. That's a fact. The only reason why you would take him, is if the team is close to contending. But then the team would have to trade $24 million - which would gut the team and take them out of contention. Unless they have $24 million of garbage to trade for Kobe, in which case the Lakers wouldn't trade Kobe. Unless the team sweetens it with high first round picks, which the team wouldn't have if they were the contenders that is required to make a trade for Kobe make sense.

I really can't believe how sensitive Kobe fans are. Kobe is untradeable and his contract is absolutely horrible for any team not named the Lakers. The contract only makes sense for the Lakers, so Kobe's trade value is zero.
Remembering Showtime
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject:

True statement.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject:

Is someone here disagreeing that his trade value is zero?
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject:

Better question is why is his trade value even being discussed? He was given that deal with the idea that he was never to be traded and would end his career with the Lakers.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Better question is why is his trade value even being discussed? He was given that deal with the idea that he was never to be traded and would end his career with the Lakers.

Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:

Yeah. This is a hypothetical and highly unlikely scenario.

But the conversations about Kobe, and this includes me, is all about hypotheticals at this point. Let's just wait and see the man play first.
alexjlake_gr8t
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject:

thejet24 wrote:
ronnyjeremy wrote:
alexjlake_gr8t wrote:
ronnyjeremy wrote:

Quote:

You were probably one of the millions who has rooted for the Lakers the last 19 years, enjoying 7 championship runs, 5 titles and countless of amazing games on the shoulders of Kobe Bryant.

And you were probably one of the millions who still rooted for the Lakers when they brought back Magic Johnson after a life-threathing disease derailed the team for a decade.

Unfortunantly, too many people today do not value loyalty over business.

Sports is entertainment, and even at 36, Kobe has entertainment value 99.99% of the league cannot match.

Of this you are most certainly correct. I dont post much but have been here for quite some time. There are many other's that express my exact sentiments so I dont stat pad. Thanks for your observations!
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ZenMaster4President wrote:
Also, and this is something I always remind myself of, GMs aren't all THAT.

Just look at the state of many teams in the NBA...

Probably the 76er GM who won't pay anyone over $6 mil and is using the Cavs and their futility as his game plan.

I'd bet money the anonymous GM who said he'd offer Kobe max was Philly's GM.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Dear unnamed GM,
DUH! That was the point of the contract! The Lakers want Kobe to retire a laker. If his contract value improves the likelihood of that happening, our FO thinks that's a good thing.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject:

I can imagine that GM in 1997 offseason.

"Nobody is gonna trade for Jordan when he's getting paid 33 mill a year. His contract has no trade value!"
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I can imagine that GM in 1997 offseason.

"Nobody is gonna trade for Jordan when he's getting paid 33 mill a year. His contract has no trade value!"

Not a fair comparison. That Jordan was younger, was healthy as a horse, and was winning the scoring title, MVP, and finals MVP nearly every season.

It'd be better to use Wizards Jordan for this comparison. Hadnt played in years and there were no guarantees about what he was still capable of.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Is someone here disagreeing that his trade value is zero?

There seem to be some that are taking it as an insult for some reason.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Kelly Dwyer has trashed Kobe since the 90's. Nothing to see here.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Possible best OVERALL value then??
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject:

This all reeks of Mark Cuban's taunts. Lolol
Could be wrong but it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Nonetheless any GM or Owner in professional basketball all over the world wishes they had a "Kobe" in their franchises' history books.

They'll eat crow again this season Hometown buffet style.

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject:

kobemania3-16 wrote:
Kelly dwyer

Kelly Dwyer is the idiot who said Houston went to the second round of the playoffs last season...

I surely hope I screen capped it so I could shove it to his idiotic face every time he writes something idiotic as this.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:
This all reeks of Mark Cuban's taunts. Lolol
Could be wrong but it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Nonetheless any GM or Owner in professional basketball all over the world wishes they had a "Kobe" in their franchises' history books.

They'll eat crow again this season Hometown buffet style.

Technically Nelson is the GM, and it doesn't really strike me as his style (although he did call his own player overpaid, so you never know)
Makave7iThaDon
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject:

I guess I missed the news that the lakers were shopping him that would make this statement the slightest bit relevant...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: